Weigh In Day: Mondays
    PW (Previous Weight): 296.4
    CW (Current Weight): 295.8 (-0.6)

Woot!
  • sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I can't believe August is already upon us! My name is Sandie and I live in California with my wife, monster dog and crazy cat. I am 38 and at the beginning of this year my wife and I decided it was time to lose weight and get healthy. Since January I have been focusing on making sustainable lifestyle changes and have seen the weight fall off (59.7lbs so far). When I started this year my goal was to get below 200 by the end of the year. With only 12 lbs to go I see this as a very achievable goal.

This is my third month in this group and I love the sense of community and support that everyone brings. Let's make this a killer August!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    I aim to get more exercises in this month!
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Twyla77
    Weigh In Day: Sunday Aug 1
    Previous Weight: 146
    Today’s Weight: 147.5

Sorry I’m a day late! 🙂
  • lennoncpa
    lennoncpa Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hello and Happy August Team!!! My name is Sheryl, I am 65 and live in Michigan. I have been part of this group for a few years and I find it very helpful and motivating. I gave up all sweets 2-1/2 years ago thanks to this group. I found that I couldn't do sweets in moderation, so I had to eliminate them completely. At the time I was trying to set a new goal for each month and that was the only goal that I was able to stick with all this time. Other goals I am always working on is drinking enough water, making the right food choices and obviously to lose weight.

Exercise is not a problem for me - I do my gym workouts still virtual every morning and I am almost afraid that if I go back to the gym I won't be as consistent. I login through a Zoom chat and the instructors always try to include me in the discussions and class. Last week I was in New Orleans and I was able to stick with my workouts while traveling! I found that I really like doing it this way! Obviously I miss seeing the people in the gym - but I am so consistent - I am afraid to change anything!! I am also a clog dancer and a line dancer. We haven't been able to dance as much with many of the buildings being closed - but we have done some dancing in the park and slowly things are looking like we might get back indoors for some classes.

Thank you all for being part of this awesome group and lets have a great August and make some changes in our lives for the better!!!
  • Kaken21
    Kaken21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Kaken21
    Tuesday
    PW:227
    CW:228

My brain is still on vacation mode and I'm not eating like I should. Someone willing to give me a kick in the pants? Anyone? Ugh!
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Step Challenge Results
    July is over but our step crew hasn’t been recognized for their last week

~ You might as well be walking on the sun! ~

Our indomitable team of nine walkers traversed an unbelievable 585,202 steps this week, which averages out to about 65,022 per person.

The Leaderboard:

Over 10k Steps Per Day:

@annliz23 - 72,659 total | 10,380 average
    @kandi3570 – 79,079 total | 11,297 average
    @lennoncpa – 101,457 total | 14,494 average - Most Steps in a Single Day!
    @rachelrjh—87,500| 12,500 average

Over 5k Steps Per Day:

@pacsnc6 – 40,285 total | 5755 average - Most Consistent!
    @dbrinkmeyer – 43,588 total | 6,227 average
    @sandielewis2001 – 69,741 total | 9,963 average
    @ljdanny – 61,871 total | 8,839 average

Most Inconsistent!!
    @melaniedscott—29,022| 4,146 average

What a fabulous end to July!

For those of you new to the team, we have a step challenge. We report our steps every week and recognize our steppers. We generally track Sun-Sat, with steppers reporting on the following Sunday but some people report their steps as a block earlier.

ncr2er0sff14.png
  • rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Kaken21 wrote: »
    Kaken21
    Tuesday
    PW:227
    CW:228

My brain is still on vacation mode and I'm not eating like I should. Someone willing to give me a kick in the pants? Anyone? Ugh!
    Hi Kaken21,

Take it one day at a time. Don’t give up because you failed at weight loss the day before. That was always my problem for about three years before I joined this group.
    What makes the difference is deciding you really want it and sticking to eating healthy and tracking ur calories. I did it from Jan to June consistently. There were some days (not many) that I’d slip, but I had my mind made up that I’d get back on track the next day, and that’s what I did.

Eating healthy and exercising is now a habit for me, but I do have to continually remind myself that’s it’s easy to form unhealthy habits. That’s why this community helps me. It’s a reminder to stay healthy and not slip back into the unhealthy routines.
  • rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This has been quoted on here before, but it resonates so well with me, and it’s how I lost weight.

“Weight loss doesn’t begin in the gym with a dumbbell; it starts in your head with a decision.” - Tony Sorenson.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! I see you troublemakers didn't burn the team to the ground while I was out. Thank you for being good for Melanie.

A huge welcome to all of our new teammates! We love having you here - please let us know if you have any questions or if we can provide any help. Team Weight No More is a team of incredibly supportive human beings from a variety of walks of life, and all of our paths just happened to cross here. And if you happen to need a scientist's perspective, feel free to ask me - Hi, I'm Ashley. I'm a chemical engineer, and I do research for a living. If there's something you don't know, that you want to know more about, ask away!

Normally, I'd write a long introduction post, with links to my blog and some background information, but I'll be honest, it's just copied and pasted and changed a little from month to month. So, here's a link to last month's.

As for this week's weigh-in...

Since I spent the past weekend in my hometown, visiting my parents and enjoying the Renaissance Faire with some old friends, I debated excusing myself for the week, since I anticipated weight gain from poor food choices and bloating. But then I thought about how often I mention that a single week is not representative of the whole picture. One bad week will not cause me to gain back the 60+ lbs I've lost. So, here's my weigh-in:
    minstrelofsarcasm
    August Week One

Weigh In Day: Wednesdays
    PW (Previous Weight): 169.6 (July 28th)
    CW (Current Weight): 170.4 (August 4th)
    LTD (Loss to Date): 63.6 lbs

Not as bad as I expected. Admittedly, this weight is post-spin class, but I couldn't have lost so much water for this to be a dramatic change from how I woke up.

Will I update my weight if it drops more by tomorrow morning? Potentially.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    edited August 2021
    Options

Most Inconsistent!!
    @melaniedscott—29,022| 4,146 average

@melaniedscott -
    Nothing wrong with being inconsistent - plenty of people change step counts drastically from day to day. Also, from a statistical standpoint, you weren't even the most inconsistent last month, so hush. :lol:

Kaken21 wrote: »

@Kaken21 -

Just like @rachelrjh wisely said, it's about consistency, not what you see in the short run. Every decision is a new decision, and a new opportunity to start over. You don't have to wait for a new year, month, week, or even day. Right now is a new minute. Make it yours :heart:

I am just going to start fresh from current weight and for medical/medication reasons ignore all previous weights, so we will pretend like today is day 1 :)

@callsitlikeiseeit -

Hi Deb! Good to see you back with us! Do you want me to move you back to the weight-loss team, or would you rather stay on the cheer squad for the time being? We can log your weights no matter what, it's just a matter of if you'd rather have the weekly obligation.
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    I have been having a great time here in south Carolina. Hoping I dont ruin my weight to much. I wont be able to weigh in til Saturday. They don't have a scale here. It poured rain yesterday and we got caught out in it. All the streets flooded, the water was up past your ankles. It made for an interesting few hours. But then we got to hang on the beach and go in the shops.
  • sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ljdanny wrote: »
    I have been having a great time here in south Carolina. Hoping I dont ruin my weight to much.

Just a reminder that the only way to ruin your weight loss progress is to give up trying.

Enjoy the trip and keep making good decisions where you can!
  • seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling a little bit - been working out (gym 3x/week, long walks 2-3x/week) and I'm not seeing ANY loss. I'm wondering if I should be eating back some/all of my exercise calories. I'm going to try that for a few days and see if it jumpstarts my losses again. I'm big enough that I should be dropping steadily!

Do you all eat your exercise calories? Or stick to your daily allotment and ignore the exercise calories altogether?
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    I'm struggling a little bit - been working out (gym 3x/week, long walks 2-3x/week) and I'm not seeing ANY loss. I'm wondering if I should be eating back some/all of my exercise calories. I'm going to try that for a few days and see if it jumpstarts my losses again. I'm big enough that I should be dropping steadily!

Do you all eat your exercise calories? Or stick to your daily allotment and ignore the exercise calories altogether?

@seltzer_lover -

I go back and forth between eating my exercise calories. It usually just depends on if I'm hungry. If I am, I'll eat anywhere from half of them, to all of them (i.e. burn 600, eat 300-600 calories back). If I'm not hungry, I'll make sure I drink tons of water, because dehydration can be a killer to a ton of different areas of health.

One of the big things to realize is that weight loss is not linear. Being in a deficit doesn't mean you'll see immediate results. Your body hangs on to water for a billion reasons, and could be why you haven't seen any losses recently. There's also a matter of eating too much during cheat meals/days, too much sugar or sodium, nutritional deficits, sickness, medications, hormones...

If you haven't seen any loss, and it's been less than six weeks, I recommend patience.
    If you haven't seen any loss, and it's been more than six weeks, I recommend very closely tracking what you're eating, even if it's just little things, even if it's a cheat meal/day.

And regardless of how long it's been, I HIGHLY recommend drinking a ton of water and being kind to yourself. Your weight is not the only indication of your worth, and the number on the scale doesn't tell the whole story.
  • kirsten11872
    kirsten11872 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    I have not been very active on here, but I’m still trying! We are in Cabo now on vacation, so I definitely have been off track, but trying not to get too crazy.
    @melaniedscott & @minstrelofsarcasm: My weigh-in day is Saturday, but I won’t be home until late Saturday night, so I will weigh-in on Sunday for the 1st week of August.
    Hope everyone is doing well!😁
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    pacsnc6
    week 1
    Thursday weigh in
    pw: 161
    cw: 162
This discussion has been closed.