Daily Check In

Options
gloriawrightcook
gloriawrightcook Posts: 4,141 Member
Hello Runners! I don't see a lot of activity here! I am new to MFP. I am a runner and hoping to connect with some other runners here. I have been running for a few years but as life happened, I was not able to run as much as I liked. So I am currently starting over from scratch as if I am a brand new runner. I am doing a C25K and my goal race is in just over a week. Would love to get some more people on here to chat a bit on a day to day basis, about running, life in general, fitness, our setbacks and our accomplishments!

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi, I finished c25k for the second time in May ,and have been running 3 times a week ever since. I'm not very fast, but slowly improving.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hi Jenny! Way to go! I am not fast either. I used to be a solid middle of the pack runner but now I am back of the pack and don't really care at this point - just grateful to be out there!

Today was my rest day. Not even a short walk happened! My C25K training has me at 1.5 miles for tomorrow but I am starting half marathon training tomorrow too so I will be doing more...maybe having to walk some but it's all good!!!!

Hope everyone has had a great Friday!!!
  • jennypapage
    Options
    i was never middle of the pack either :smiley: i could run a 5k at about 28.5 min. i think before i got injured and had to stop. Now i run it at around 34 min on a good day, but slowly shaving seconds off.I'm being patient. Today was a rest day so i did yoga. I started it back in April as a supplemental exercise to help me with my running,and it's worked out quite nicely.
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    MikeRunsDaily2021 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    See your post. Feel free to add me. I run most days 👍🏻
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Good Morning! Happy Saturday! Jenny, you are doing great!!! I am impressed! My 5k PR is 29 minutes and that was a few years ago. I have a 5k next weekend and I will be lucky if I finish it in 39 minutes!!! That is my goal for this race. - we will see, being at 8 am in the heat and humidity we are having, I am not sure how it will go. I am doing a trail 10K in three weeks but my goal for that one is to just finish because I haven't not been training on trails for the past few years. Our half marathon training started today, I did join the group but mostly ended up running my self. I did my C25K thing, which went so well and I was happy with it! Then did Galloway intervals (in this case 1 min run, 1 min walk). Ran into BFF and had to stop and talk to her, had to stop for the potty, stopped and talked to district manager for our local Fleet Feet! lol, by then I felt pretty done with it but I went out and did one more mile after that. Jenny, I LOVE LOVE LOVE yoga. I was going to a hot yoga studio but ended up quitting back in March of last year. I am finally back to strength training and today I did a yoga session. I prefer a class environment but I am doing it on my own for now, not ready to go back to the gym and the yoga studio ended up losing their lease for another business coming in, so I would have to find another place anyway.

I think my BFF and I might go out and kayak later today, weather permitting. It's supposed to storm this afternoon.

Take care and have a great day!
  • jennypapage
    Options
    Thanks Gloria. I admire you just for starting the half marathon training :) My goal at the moment is to slowly build up to 10k without injuring myself.
    Today was supposed to be a rest day ,so I did yoga in the morning. However, I decided to go for my long run in the evening instead of tomorrow morning. My god what a difference! Normally the humidity level in the mornings when I run is anywhere between 80-100% . When it's in the 90s it's a huge struggle.On Tuesday it was 95% and it took me about 10min. to catch my breath after I was done. Tonight humidity was in the 50s, and it felt easy. 7k in 54 min. which is 2min.less than last week. So I was happy with that.
    Tomorrow and Monday will be yoga again,and my next run is on Tuesday.
  • sunshineyourway
    sunshineyourway Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Good Morning! Happy Sunday! Thank you Gloria, for starting this link. I am a long time runner of almost 32 years. Started after my son was born at the age of 35. I have Run a few Full Marathons in my 40's, many Half Marathons, 15K-5K 's. My favorite distance is the Half Marathon. I have cut down to 3 days a week giving myself enough time to recoup and avoid injuries. I am also a Half Fanatic and trying to move up with their group. I have been running about 6.20 miles twice a week and 13.12 miles on Saturday. On non run days I have been doing strength, cardio, toning and yoga. Looking forward in getting to know you all. Have a Wonderful Sunday.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hello! Jenny, I hear you on the heat and humidity. There have been times in the past (when I was still working) when I would run at night (when it is dark) and it is such a pleasant thing! I actually enjoy it. I have great gear for night running as I have run a few Ragnars and in the winter, sometimes running in the dark can't be helped. Now I do the early mornings but I agree, it is really hard right now, Tennessee has been miserable as far as heat and humidity, last week especially was rough.

Sharon!!!!! Hello, so glad to see you here!!!!!

Jenny, I had every intent of keeping my distances low, like 10K or less, but there are two half marathons that I LOVE and I just can't quit doing them. The one in November is via lottery so I guess there is a slight chance I won't get in, but it is a weighted lottery so that ups my chances a lot as I have done it before and volunteered for the full. I say NO MORE MARATHONS ever but who knows, some days I think I want to try it again.

I didn't exercise today - I was supposed to walk and actually I had planned to do tomorrow's run just in case the weather tomorrow is bad, but I had some kind of pain in my calf and decided to hold off. I might regret that I didn't but I try to listen to my bod and it told me to rest!!! Sharon, we did kayak yesterday, it was my BFF and I, DH won't do it, but I am going to try to get him to while we are on vacay next week. Anyway, I am new to kayaking and have only been a few times. We found a cove that is much quieter than the places where we have been before, fewer boats and less waves, so it was a lot easier for me to practice. So far I can't do very far because of the RA in my hands causing pain but it is still very very good for me and I would like to do it more.

Today we have just been doing things around here that need to be done, busy but low key. I have tons of projects and thing I am trying to get done but I am do everything in such a leisurely manner that it takes me forever!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!
  • letsgoplay1
    letsgoplay1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    :) Hi Gloria! It's me Em from SP. Thanks for being here! I'm walking to get back to running- did a bit today. 4 miles with some bursts of running. Gonna miss SP but hey whatcha gonna do? :/
  • letsgoplay1
    Options
    oh and forgot to say. I did a half marathon and a full. Have done many 5K's and a 10k. Since pandemic I realize I like running but racing - eh - not so much. I don't know if I ever will again. Perhaps.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Em!!!!! Hello! Thank you for being here! I just love that, makes me happy!

Racing....I used to do tons and tons of races, and still will maybe....but I don't really RACE RACE anymore! I mean, there is still this competitive side that wants to, but my body really can't handle it right now and I am really just slogging along! LOL but I love to do the races so I can see my friends and I just enjoy the camaraderie and the bling and stuff. I keep on with the training because I want to do better if I can and it is good for me to keep trying.

It's raining here now, with lightning!!!! But I am getting stuff done in the house!
  • jennypapage
    Options
    Hi all. i have to say i also don't really like racing. i did it once (5k)and it was nice getting a medal at the end :-) However , it was way too many people ,at 15.00 in the afternoon ,very warm day ,and worst of all i had to sit around all day just waiting to get started, with an empty stomach cause i always run fasted.
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Good Morning! I hope you all are doing great for a Monday!! It is going to be a rainy tropical week here in NC. Looks like another Tropical storm will be making its way up here once again. We sure do need the rain. This morning I enjoyed some indoor workouts- strength with Gilad's 21 day Challenge and I started a 7 day Yoga Challenge with Sarah Beth. I get her workouts off You tube. I am hoping to get out Tuesday morning for my 2, 5K's and just hope most of our rain will be in the afternoon.
    When I started running many years ago after the birth of my son, I was mostly walking at the park behind my house. I had gained a lot of weight and the walking just was not getting it off. I saw so many runners out there with baby jogging strollers. I think it motivated me so much that I started adding running steps to my walking and eventually dropped the walking. I got up to 12 miles, 6 loops around the lake. Let's just say, the lbs. melted off within 4 months. I never started racing until I moved to FL 2 years after. I met many friends with baby's and jogging strollers. We were a site running down Bayshore Drive in Safety Harbor.. Across the Bay from Tampa. Racing now is fun for me. I have two Half Marathons coming up, Oct. and Nov. I am now thinking of signing up for a Dec. one. My speed since Covid has dropped a lot. I Train alone so going to Races and meeting so many people is fun for me. As a Half Fanatic, we have many meet ups. *Gloria, I wish I could meet up with a Running Group. I am retired and prefer morning running. Most of the groups around here are meeting in the evenings. We have the Galloway Group, Fleet feet and a few more I will check out. *letsgoplay1, nice to meet you. I am also from SP, my name I kept the same-sunshineyourway. *Jennypapage, nice to meet you. Sounds like you are coming back nicely after injury. I also love Yoga. I had hip bursitis and was told to try yoga out. My hips are doing so much better. In addition loosening up the hamstrings and legs too.. Hi *Mike! Nice to meet you.
    Wishing all a fabulous day.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Good Morning to Everyone!!!!! Monday Monday!!! Monday is my favorite day though right now since I am not working it doesn't matter so much.

Sharon, I can't remember if I told you this before, I have a dear friend from Safety Harbor, I visited her many years ago and it is such a cute community. And as far as NC, I hope the storms pass by before our trip next week!!! I am planning on a lot of outdoor time while there!

Jenny, almost all of the races I do are at 7 or 8 am, have only done a couple of later ones but those are certainly logistically different. We have a Fleet Feet group in the evening as well that I go to sometimes and the trail run group (also affiliated with Fleet Feet) is in the evening. But our local running club usually does mornings, especially on the weekends, and that is at 6 am which is kind of too early for me. I can run on a full stomach and it doesn't seem to slow me down too much (though I don't do that in the mornings).

Anyway, my pace is much slower too, not due to Covid but due to RA and the connective tissue issues. I will add speed work back in soon, that will get me going a bit. As long as I strength train it should be okay but I have to listen to my body, otherwise I will suddenly fall apart and not be able to run for a while. I need to get yoga back in there too. I had a personal trainer who specializes in runners and he was kind of Meh about yoga, didn't think it was that beneficial, but I see a HUGE difference when I do it. I need to structure my time better so I can do that a few times a week.

My run this morning was good, C25K run and it was a two minute walking warm up, and just 2.0 miles of running. It ended with a 2 minute walking cooldown. Humidity was about 99% at the time as the temp was about 72 and the dew point was 71. No wind either. I actually thought it wasn't too terrible, some of these mornings when it is already 80 when I run are so much worse. I did great until I got to that big hill that always gets me! I did make it to the top of it though, and then I took maybe a 20 second walk break. Another thing I will add back in soon is hill repeats. The half that I will do in November has a crazy amount of elevation gain. I would like to do better on that course this year so I need to get to work! After I did the mile and a half I did another mile of 1 minute run 1 minute walk intervals. Then I did lower body strength. Didn't feel like that went as well today but at least I did it!

Okay, well all have a wonderful day!!!! Take care and Run Happy!
  • letsgoplay1
    Options
    Gloria- glad you are happy I made it here! I deleted my account before Sparks ended..Hey a lady always knows when it is time to leave..lol- not that I am a lady BUT I do love the film Fried Green Tomatoes. So- I am just getting used to this format so if I don't respond to all- I am reading and will try. This will take some getting used to.
    This morning I got 6 mile scoot in. :)
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Gloria, I had no idea you have a friend from Safety Harbor. WOW! I lived there about 20 years and just love that town. So quaint.
  • jennypapage
    Options
    Hi all..I went for my run this morning. I did 5k again, and it went well.Tuesday is always my worst day for some reason, so i'm always happy if i'm not dying by the end.
    Gloria , just going out and doing it, even if you're not in the mood or if it doesn't go well is just as important.
    Sometimes i really don't want to go out the door and run, but i do it anyway. When i'm done, i am almost always happy i ended up doing it.
    As far as yoga is concerned, i can't really tell if i have gotten stronger over the past few months, but my balance has definitely improved and the stretches have really helped my hips.
  • basoranno
    basoranno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! I’ve been a runner for quite a few years. Started after losing a lot of weight. I got tired of just walking so I started running. Loved it. Now I’m facing a new challenge. I’m getting a new hip in Sept so my running has been pretty much put on hold. I may never be able to run distances again but I hope to sneak in a few runs here and there in between my walks.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm running 10k ~3 times per week right now. I am running a 10k in the fall with a friend --- it'll be my first race as an adult (I ran cross country when I was in school). I am lucky in that I'm off work in the summers and can run in the morning before it's hella-hot....now that school has started back up I am having to run in the evening and my body isn't a fan but whatever, lol.

The outer-loop at my park is ~7.5 miles...and my next personal goal is to be able to run that distance 1x/week...but I seem sort of stuck at 10k. Not sure what to do but I'll keep trucking along. I would like to run a 1/2 marathon or marathon but I'm not sure if I'd actually do well with trying to put the time/effort into following a training program for that. I sort of just like putting my shoes on and going. I feel pretty good, I'm over 30 and my pace is ~9.5-10.5 min mile depending.

My favorite thing is that when I run in the evenings, I typically end when the sun is starting to set - and the serotonin+sunset+good music combo is pretty powerful. =D
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Good Morning All! Great job getting out there jennypapage.. Also, the Yoga is very good, especially for runners.. You are doing great. Hi westrich20940. How exciting to be running your first 10k as an adult. Wishing you the best. Hi basoranno. Wishing you the best with your upcoming hip surgery and recovery.
    I just got back a little while ago from my run. I ran 2 5K's. The first one I had tummy issues so no speed on that. The 2nd one I did better. I am training for two HM this Fall, maybe 3. My pace has really slowed.. So much with Covid, my mothers passing and race cancellations. Hopefully I can pick it back up. Right now I am just running for the love of it.
    I came over here from Spark People. I had been with them since 2009. Just so sad to see there site gone now.

Have a Wonderful Day!