Daily Check In

Options

Replies

• sunshineyourway
    sunshineyourway Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi All.. Happy Friday.

Thanks Gloria. Well, the test done today showed extreme calcification on the two main arteries. DH is to meet next Friday with the Heart Surgeon. I am thankful his PCP heard the irregular heart rhythm and was referred for all these tests. Many people go undiagnosed and then end up with a massive heart attack and die.

I follow Coach Jenny's advanced training schedule. She is with Runners World and her hubby is John Bingham (World Known Runner). Since my goal has been to run a HM every Saturday I follow the last few weeks of the schedule. I max out at 15 miles and then taper back down to 13.12. I modified her schedule. During the week my two runs are focused on speed. Tuesday are speed and Thursday is Tempo with either pick ups or striders.

Glad you took the day off for much needed rest and did some Yoga. Soundslike you are following a great plan.

Have a great Weekend!
  • gloriawrightcook
    gloriawrightcook Posts: 4,189 Member
    Options
    Oh Sharon, I am so glad that the doctor noticed that and something will be done to help your husband!

Oh, yes, I remember now that you do Coach Jenny, I like her. I am doing a McMillan plan and it is okay. I need to outline my strength and yoga so that I know from day to day what I need to be doing. I am good with the runs as that is detailed out in the plan. My run today ended up being walking, and that is probably okay. I went with a friend to the place where my November race will be at. She is doing the half and the full, I am just doing the half. It is really hilly and I need to be working on those hills. I told her I would let her pace us. I figured we would do intervals but we ended up walking and that was good practice for those hills and I am feeling really good because I have no lower back or hip pain at this time and my legs feel strong. I might go back there sometime next week alone and try to run at least some of it. My plan for today was 45 minutes easy, and easy it was lol (and a lot longer than 45 minutes). I enjoyed visiting with my friend, she has done ultras and she is a fitness instructor who is a bit younger than I am, so it was good to get her thoughts and ideas on things. She told me about a couple of ultras that would be up my alley, if I ever decide I want to do long distance again. I could have gone a lot more miles with her, she was doing at least six more on the road and then a few on the trail but my long run day is actually mid-week so I didn't push my luck.

I noticed on my feed for MFP that it says I did a 12 min/mile, ha! Nope, that ain't right!!!!!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Good Morning, it's a stormy day here. I was able to get out and do my run between the rain. The streets were wet but I stayed dry! I had to do a 15 minute race pace run and then add 5 minutes to that if I wanted to (plus 15 minutes warmup and 15 minutes cooldown). I opted out of the extra 5 minutes because I could hear thunder and there was a strange car driving around, so I decided to head back toward home. I felt good about the run and I need to do a lot more like that but I don't see anything like that coming up on my training plan. This coming week is going to be interesting because we are supposed to have a lot of rain and thunderstorms. I need to get going, I need to do some strength training and yoga today! Run Happy!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hello hello,

Today was rainy but thankfully warm. I got very wet, but at the end i felt good.I could have kept going actually, but my plan is only to increase distance once a month to allow my hips more recovery time. So next Sunday i will be increasing from 8 to 8.5 km .Tomorrow is yoga day again and since today went well, i might pick a more demanding session.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Monday! I truly love Mondays and look forward to the week ahead. Jenny, sounds like your running is going so well!!!

I did my lower body strength yesterday and I felt like I am getting stronger. Then I did some core work and a flow yoga session - flow was short and hard and it just makes me realize how much I have lost in the past year and a half - I used to do a hot yoga class for 90 minutes. I will continue to do this session frequently to get myself back in shape.

Today would typically be a rest day but since we mostly walked on Saturday and also because the week ahead looks very iffy as far as the weather (lots of thunderstorms are predicted), I decided to do the Tuesday workout today. I will continue to reschedule as I see fit to make sure I get my workouts in. The long run will be the hard one, I don't want to do that one early but I also don't want to miss it.

My run this morning was an easy run, 5 minute warmup, 5 minute cooldown and 35 minute run at a slow pace. I thought it went well. There is no school this week (due to fall break) so I didn't have to worry about traffic as much and I was able to switch up my route. Later I will do some yoga - and maybe some upper body.

Run Happy!
  • sunshineyourway
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Good Morning All. I got out for a speed run this morning and finally my pace is starting to get back down to where it was a few months ago. I really would love it if I could get it back down to where it was a few years ago. I remember my best 5K time since I have been here in NC was 27:00 back in 2014. I don't know if I will ever get there again, but I certainly will try. Since Covid and race cancellations, my race pace enthusiasm has declined. Virtual just is not the same.

Gloria, my husband finally got his report to review and there is a 3rd artery with 90% blockage. So three in all. Thankfully no damage to heart. Looking forward in going with hubby for his appointment Friday morning. My son will be arriving Saturday night! Yay!! So excited.

My right hip has been feeling a bit tight so I may squeeze in a short hip opener yoga then work on some cleaning getting ready for sons visit.

Enjoy Your Day All!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hello All!!!! Hope everyone's runs are going well. Becky, thinking of you! Em, if you are stalking us, how are you doing? Jenny, hope you had a good yoga session today!

Sharon, you are doing great! I wish I could get back to my faster pace but one step at a time, right? My 5k PR is 29 minutes, now I can do like 39 minutes. I am feeling motivated, it's just not happening that fast. I see tiny bits of improvement. There have been a ton of races around here, I just haven't felt that comfortable doing some of them, too crowded, no masks, and no social distancing.

I got my run in this morning, it was 90% humidity and in the high 60s. That combined with this being my third day in a row of running, it wasn't as great as I had hoped but still, I see tiny signs of improvement. Oh, and my watch messed up like three times I think, I usually have no problems with it so maybe it was user error - my workout is right on my watch so I really need that to work! First thing was that it somehow paused itself during my 10 minute warmup. Then I guess it somehow lapped itself and I didn't realize it so I didn't start my intervals at the right time. I stopped at least a couple of times to fiddle with it and of course I can't see it since I didn't have my reading glasses. So, despite having stopped and walked, etc, I guess it was okay but I felt it could have been better. I got home and did upper body strength and then yoga. My next run is my long run and I really hope the weather cooperates for that. I need a day off running and that really must be tomorrow but I am worried with this weather - rain, thunderstorms...I need to do my long run on Thursday but so far the weather isn't looking promising for that.

Sharon, it's so good that they found the blockages, wow that is scary but it sounds like it will be okay! I know you are excited to see your son. How long can he stay?

I am really glad I started up the yoga again - after just a couple of weeks I feel it is really helping. I had a personal trainer at one point who felt yoga wasn't that beneficial for runners but I beg to differ - I can tell - even though the workouts I am doing are short, I feel so much better after them.

Okay, gotta move on, take care everyone and run happy!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hello! No run today because I need an off day and of course the rain held off so I could have. Now I just hope that it will be okay for tomorrow morning. I did a core and glute workout, which maybe I shouldn't have done the day before my long run, but I am going to hope that it wasn't too intense and it won't hinder me tomorrow. Then I did a yoga session for lower back, specifically sciatica, as that seems to be flaring. It seems related to the way I am sleeping and I keep trying to adjust myself so I am not twisted in some strange way. Hope everyone is having a great day!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Today I did my long run, and it went well. My breathing seemed fine, my legs, feet and most importantly my lower back didn't hurt terribly. The pace was within the suggested range. I am still really worried about the half because I feel like I still have to walk a lot, go a lot further, and survive the big hills on the race course. The race is November 14th so there is still a little bit of time. I don't know if I will meet my pace goal but I will definitely finish the race - I am feeling stronger. Next week's workouts look pretty light and no long run. After I did my run I did a quick post run yoga session. For the run I took a date roll with me to eat mid-run. I will probably never be fat adapted (due to eating restrictions) so I have in the past for long runs eaten a bit of something and that seems to help with my energy. I will do Huma gels but honestly, real food makes me happier and date rolls are tasty. After I got home I had a small snack and then had a good lunch with my DH - I need to focus closely on my nutrition as I head into the next month of training. This will help with recovery. In addition, I always used to wear compression socks (or tights for marathons) post run, so I have resumed doing that as well. I estimated my run today (based on time, not distance) would be between 7.5 miles and 8.0 miles, and it ended up being 7.79 miles so I was right in the middle of my estimate.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Friday! I got a late start today due to the fog. I live in an area where there are no sidewalks and the streets don't have a shoulder to walk in so I feel apprehensive being out when the visibility is poor. Since school is out this week and traffic is a little bit lighter, I did check out a different route today. I wanted to try it out to see if it would be good for running - I think so but it is pretty hilly. I tried some new workouts, a bit aggressive for me at this time but will be good later, and I did a yoga core workout, also a bit tough - I need to get my core in shape! My friend asked me if I will walk with her this afternoon -- lol, I didn't tell her I already walked so I will meet her for something short when she gets off work.
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Happy Saturday All!

Well, the Rain finally moved in here in NC. Of coarse, on my planned run day. I will switch out for Sunday now. My son will be arriving later this evening so it will give me more time to do shopping and left over cleaning. This rain will cool things down a little bit so we welcome it. Hubby's appointment went well. So glad I went with him. Feel a bit more at ease. Doctor wants one more ultrasound done Nov. 1st, to see if that one artery is as bad as CT Scan indicated. Very impressed with doctor.

Gloria, happy your long run went well and feeling stronger. You have plenty of time before your Half Marathon.
    On my Runners World Group, Coach Jenny Recommended something in addition to Yoga called Egosue. Very interesting. My son has been having back and sciatica pain and found a couple of you tube workouts for him. I am sure they have many more. I will find some for my hip pain to try out.

Well, soon I will start Gilads Bodies in Motion Hard Core and then some Yoga. Hopefully get out early and do some shopping, then finish cleaning.

I have a few running accessories I want to look for.. Maybe a light up vest or something bright and another visor. Love my new running belt.. It also has the lower attachment for a race number. No more safety pins.

Becky, hope you are doing great with your recovery. Miss you.

Have a Wonderful Weekend All.

• gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Saturday!

Sharon, so glad that DH's appt went well, I know that gives you peace of mind. And I know you will enjoy the time with your DS!

I use NoxGear to be seen at night, it is AWESOME, my DH says he can see me about a 1/4 mile away with it. I also wear a belt that has bungees for a race bib, LOVE it, hate safety pins! I also carry a Nathan 310 lumen light for nighttime so I can see where I am going. I have a headlamp for trail running (and Ragnar) at night but haven't been doing that in the past few years.

I did my speed work, was really supposed to do that tomorrow but decided to trade that and do easy tomorrow instead. I thought it went pretty well, I was happy with it. I had some five minute intervals that were at 5k pace and those were all pretty tight right in the middle of the range, then I had some 30 second intervals, those were all too fast. I felt good though. Then I did some yoga. Yesterday I ended up with a fierce headache and didn't sleep so great, and my back has been killing me, but I got up and did the run and then did some yoga, so hopefully with some easier days coming up I can get past all of that!

It's warm and sort of humid here, I am going to use the pool this weekend! Hope everyone has a great one - Run Happy!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Got a very very short run in this morning. Just wasn't feeling it so I opted to do only the required 20 minutes and didn't do the optional 15 minutes extra. It was pretty warm and humid, plus I did speed work yesterday. I got home and tried out a new workout for core, that went pretty well - it was super basic but I feel like I am struggling with that area so maybe super basic is what I need. Then was going to do a yoga session but didn't complete it. Tomorrow is my rest day and I will do some yoga but I can tell my body is ready to actually REST. I got in the pool in the afternoon and did some more stretching and that was nice! Hope everyone is doing well!!!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happiest of Mondays to everyone! Hope everyone had great runs this weekend. I am not running or walking today. I did a lower body strength session, just short, and then some yoga. I might do more yoga later. I remember now why I was addicted to it before. As long as it doesn't rain I am hitting the pool after lunch.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Only a short run on the training plan today and in fact, no long run for this week at all - not sure why but I feel kind of uncomfortable with that. Longest run so far was an hour and 45 minutes and a few years ago that would have been perfect but now? Nope, I am sure I will end up being out there on the course for at least three hours, so I need some longer runs. So today I went out and did the short run, then I added another three miles to that and then did a couple of miles of walking. Not so happy with my running lately, I feel like I am losing speed rather than gaining it, despite doing speedwork now, and my endurance is severely lacking. I wish I could remember the last time I had a good race - maybe it was 2018 when I did Rock 'n Roll Nashville half in 2:30 (that was not a PR, not even a course PR). Ugh, I don't know but I am so frustrated because my body just doesn't want to cooperate anymore. I am doing dynamic stretches before, trying to fuel properly, trying to do recovery, strength training, getting plenty of sleep, yoga, not sure what I am missing here! Even the short runs feel like a huge struggle.
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Happy Tuesday. Sorry I have not had a chance to post. I did stop by one time to check in. Been busy with son here.
    Gloria, I will have to check out the NoxGear. Also looking forward to my husbands next appointment Nov. 1. I had doctor appointment and had X-ray of my stomach. That area looked fine but it was noted I have disabling degenerative disease in my lower back. I knew I had an injury on my back in the mid 90's but had no idea it is as bad as it sounds. Will ask PCP about it next time I see her. I am trying to read up about it and saw some recommended exercise and it was suggest chiropractor. I think my Yoga on non run days have really helped too. I have a crooked lower spine. I forget the technical name for it.

I ran my long run on Sunday and did pretty good. I got out early and the temps were somewhat cooler. Gloria, I have felt the same way you are feeling. My pace has declined so much since Covid? I really think the humidity can effect pace too. Hope you get some cooler less humid temps soon. Sure wish I had a pool here like you. We had one when living in FL and just loved being in it. So relaxing.

My Birthday was Monday! 67 years old. I had such a wonderful time with hubby and son. My Brother will be stopping by tomorrow, so we will have some Chinese takeout. His retirement jobs are refereeing many sports games, from baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball etc. So we will have an early dinner then he leaves for a young adult baseball game close by.

I ran this morning. I was not sure if I could even get started. After a very short time running the top of my right foot started to hurt. I then walked some and decided to go home. I loosened my laces and stretched a bit. Then decided to go back out and give it a try. So thankful I was able to do my 2, 5K's.

Got to go!

Thinking of you ALL. Have a Wonderful Week.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hello, and happy belated birthday Sharon!!! So glad you had your son there and hope you were able to enjoy Chinese food with your brother! Sounds so nice. How is your foot feeling? I hope it is still okay! Are you going to try a chiro for your back? I have arthritis in my spine, no huge surprise as I have arthritis everywhere apparently. I hope that they an figure out how to treat yours Sharon and mitigate any pain.

Our power was out this morning for a while, not sure why but I didn't want to go run in this humidity and not be able to shower so I waited even later than I usually do. I was pretty much dripping with sweat - my hair was WET. I just hate how slow I am now. I mean, I can't even maintain a 12 min/mile anymore, UGH!!! I NEVER used to be fast, but I could do a 2:24 half marathon, and this is just atrocious, more like a 13 - 14 min/mile. I hope you are right Sharon, maybe next week when the weather is a bit cooler and less humid I will feel better. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter than today but then we should see some relief! I did enjoy the pool today. I think tomorrow will be the last day for the season!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Greetings! I did my run today, a short progression run. I actually decided to go over to the park to do this one. I thought it went pretty well, 5 minute walk, then 20 minutes at a slow pace, then 10 minutes fast, and a 5 minute cooldown. The watch tells me what pace to stay in and although my pace for the ten minutes did on a couple of occasions fall below what was desired, my overall pace for that portion was in range, so that is a win! No long run this week but I looked ahead and next week there is a long run scheduled, thank goodness. I didn't have time for yoga or strength today as I was going to a medical appointment with my DH but I might try something later. No running tomorrow but there will definitely be some strength and/or yoga tomorrow!!!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Friday! It's a nonrunning day for me. I did some strength training and some yoga earlier. Perhaps I will do some more yoga later.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Saturday run today, went with some friends to the big park where my half will be at. Lots of huge hills, we walked some and ran some and then the end we did a bunch of stairs. We did about eight miles and I have been feeling very good after these distances, even though it is mostly walking, it is giving me some confidence. Now I just need to build my running endurance and pace.