Options

Replies

• 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 7,672 Member
    Options
    Bible Reading:

1 Samuel 1

Commentary:

The story of Hannah is one that many of us can relate to. We’re in a difficult situation, yet, despite our persistent prayers, it doesn’t get better. Hannah was one of two wives of Elkanah and couldn’t conceive children, but Peninnah, the other wife, could.

In biblical culture, bearing children for a woman was critical because they would be the ones to care for you. So not only did Hannah bear her own internal shame and pain, but Peninnah “would provoke her bitterly to irritate her” (1 Samuel 1:6).

Hannah’s pain drove her to tears—so much so that she was accused of being drunk at the temple when she was crying out to God for a child!

Hannah and Elkanah’s yearly Shiloh trip to sacrifice to the Lord was most likely her saddest day. She worshiped the Lord even though her persistent problem worried and distressed her. She would watch as those around her enjoyed their children and rested securely in their futures.

I suspect you’ve been in a position like this as well. The problem wasn’t that the situation got worse—nothing changed for Hannah. Doubts most likely crept into her head concerning whether or not her husband would continue to love her.

Can you appreciate how Hannah must have felt?

Even though her situation didn’t change she put her trust, hope and belief in God.

The point to this story is that Hannah persevered year after year—overcoming her worries through both prayer and worship. God knew her pain and His silence must not be perceived as inattentiveness or lack of involvement.

God was bringing Hannah to the point where she was willing to give back to God the very thing she wanted most—her son Samuel. God had a special plan for him to be a great prophet. The only way Hannah would be moved to this place of surrender was through her painful barrenness. Hannah promised the Lord that she would give Him Samuel if He would open her womb. He did and she kept her vow. And God blessed Hannah with five more children (1 Samuel 2:21).

Friend, if there is something specific that you are worried about, consider going to the Lord and willingly give it up or give it back to Him. Oftentimes, He is waiting for you to trust Him before He will move. It is far more important to fulfill His purpose and plan in your life. In doing so, you will find He also fulfills your desires.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Matthew 6:25-27

Commentary Thoughts:

“For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?” Matthew 6:25-26

The first thing Jesus wants us to realize from Matthew 6:25-26 is that if we are bound by the emotional stronghold of worry, we have forgotten who our Father is. He says our heavenly Father finds us more valuable than the birds and flowers. He introduces this section about worry by saying in verse 25, “For this reason.”

For what reason?

In verse 24 it says, “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.” If money is your master, you’re going to find yourself worrying about it and not serving God.

Jesus put worry in perspective when He asked, “Who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?” (Matthew 6:27)

If we do all we can and then entrust the outcome to God, worrying is pointless.

God’s people who know Him and have a relationship with Him should not live or think the same way as those who do not. God is insulted by our worry; and it impedes our ability to function as trusting children of His.

Lois and I have a getaway spot away from the hustle and bustle of city life. When I wake up in the mornings there, I often hear the birds singing outside of my window full of peace and joy because they aren’t worried. These are birds with no bank account, mutual funds and no career paths. They understand that the One who created them has provided all their needs.

God feeds the birds yet they have no eternal value to Him. But you have so much value to Him that He gave His only Son to purchase your salvation and redemption from hell.

You may have been raised in an environment where your needs were not met while the needs of those around you were. Or you experienced betrayal in a close relationship—maybe a marriage and all of that is evoking emotions of worry, dread and doubt. Jesus is talking about your heavenly Father, not other people who may neglect you or forsake you. When you make that distinction in your mind and in your thoughts, that God is not like the others, you will be on your way to wiping out worry. For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?” Matthew 6:25-26

The first thing Jesus wants us to realize from Matthew 6:25-26 is that if we are bound by the emotional stronghold of worry, we have forgotten who our Father is. He says our heavenly Father finds us more valuable than the birds and flowers. He introduces this section about worry by saying in verse 25, “For this reason.”

For what reason?

In verse 24 it says, “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.” If money is your master, you’re going to find yourself worrying about it and not serving God.

Jesus put worry in perspective when He asked, “Who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?” (Matthew 6:27)

If we do all we can and then entrust the outcome to God, worrying is pointless.

God’s people who know Him and have a relationship with Him should not live or think the same way as those who do not. God is insulted by our worry; and it impedes our ability to function as trusting children of His.

Lois and I have a getaway spot away from the hustle and bustle of city life. When I wake up in the mornings there, I often hear the birds singing outside of my window full of peace and joy because they aren’t worried. These are birds with no bank account, mutual funds and no career paths. They understand that the One who created them has provided all their needs.

God feeds the birds yet they have no eternal value to Him. But you have so much value to Him that He gave His only Son to purchase your salvation and redemption from hell.

You may have been raised in an environment where your needs were not met while the needs of those around you were. Or you experienced betrayal in a close relationship—maybe a marriage and all of that is evoking emotions of worry, dread and doubt. Jesus is talking about your heavenly Father, not other people who may neglect you or forsake you. When you make that distinction in your mind and in your thoughts, that God is not like the others, you will be on your way to wiping out worry.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading for Today

Matthew 2:1-18
    Psalms 2:1-12

Commentary Thoughts

The Wise Seek Him

A wise man once said that wise men still seek God. In the blackness, they see the brightness of his star. Jesus stood out from the moment of his conception.

The wise seek him because no other name is given among men whereby they may be saved from death.

His wonderful words were without precedent, and those who are wise build their house upon the rock of his Word.

The foolish ignore Him—too busy with the cares of this life to be concerned with the next. Heaven is the last thing on their minds.

God offers eternal life, and His offer is universal. Whosoever may come. That includes Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, agnostics, and atheists. Yet a considerable portion of humanity chooses to remain in the dark.

Tears should fill our eyes at such a reality because we know that they run from the pleasures of heaven and instead walk toward the pains of hell. We empathize with them because we, too, once walked in their shoes.

Father, wash me of anything that tried to cling to my soul this day.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading:
    Matthew 4:23-25
    Matthew 5:1-20
    Psalms 4:1-8

Commentary

Can You Imagine?

Do you ever imagine what it would have been like during the time Jesus walked in Galilee? Imagine hearing his gracious words as he taught in the synagogues, as he preached the gospel of the kingdom, and as he healed all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people. What a joy it must have been to see sick people and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics receive complete healing.

What would it have been like to see a dead person, surrounded by mourners, suddenly raised from the dead?

Tears of joy must have flowed like a river.

Even though we can only imagine what it must have been like to be there, we have the next best thing: the precious set of writings called the New Testament, which tells us what Jesus both did and taught. We are privy, like a fly on the wall, to intimate conversations and behind-the-scenes happenings with Jesus and his disciples—in meticulous detail.

Father, thank you for your wonderful Word. Never let me doubt so much as one syllable.
  • 316Judith
    Options

Bible Reading:

Malachi 3
    Key Verses: 7-12

Hebrews 4:12

Commentary Thoughts: by Tony Evans

The Theft of Stewardship

In His Presence:

The word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

1. Communism teaches that the government owns everything.
    2. Capitalism teaches that the individual owns everything.
    3. Christianity teaches that God owns everything.

At the heart of Christian stewardship is the assumption that the earth is the Lord's, the world and all who dwell in it.

There is absolutely nothing that sits outside of the ownership of God.

The Bible is clear that men attempt to rob God—stewards attempt to rip off the Owner.

Malachi 3:7-12 makes this point. At this time the Israelites held a very low view of God. He remained faithful, and even though they were disobedient, they were not consumed (v. 6), but they had turned from the God of their fathers.

Oh, they were still showing up for church, but they did not treat God as the sovereign, omnipotent ruler that He is.

The Israelites were made to realize that they were thieves because they were oblivious to it on their own. They asked: "How shall we return [to the Lord]?" (v. 7).

God answered: "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, ‘How have we robbed You?' In tithes and offerings" (v. 8).

God used the example of how the Israelites were handling their offerings to demonstrate their spiritual poverty. It's hard to measure spiritual robbery, so this was a visible, tangible illustration of their theft of God.

Like a thermometer registers a physical representation of an internal illness, God used the thermometer of tithes and offerings to register the Israelites' spiritual temperature.

One Minute Please

You can always tell how a person is doing on the "inside" by how they function on the "outside".
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Psalms 5:1-12
    Matthew 5:21-42

Commentary Thoughts

Truth in the Heart

The Sermon on the Mount is without question the greatest sermon ever preached by the greatest preacher who ever lived. It was a prophetic fulfillment of the promised Messiah, magnifying God’s law and making it honorable (see Isaiah 42:21).

The religious leaders had dishonored it and made it vain so that it had lost its power to bring the knowledge of sin to those who heard it. Jesus changed that by showing that the moral law not only requires us to account for our actions but also for the words we have spoken, the intent in our hearts, and the deeds done in darkness.

Most of the world thinks the Sermon on the Mount is a heartwarming sermon when it’s truly the opposite. It convicts us. It shows us how far we have fallen short of the glory of God. Those who try to be justified by it are trying to leap across the Grand Canyon with their legs tied. It’s impossible for imperfect souls to keep a perfect law. But used rightly, the Sermon on the Mount acts as a mirror to show us our true sinful state, and it sends us to the cleansing blood of the cross.

Father, I praise you for the wonderful Sermon on the Mount.📖
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Romans 5:8
    Matthew 10:1-31
    Proverbs 1:20-33
    Proverbs 4:23

Free from Sin

Fear and love are not opposed to each other. The words of Jesus are designed to put the fear of God in our hearts, and they certainly do if we believe them. Even if we don’t, they still hold true.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. If we don’t fear our Creator, we haven’t begun to be wise. And the way to fear God is to understand his holiness. He’s without sin, which means he is just. And since he is just, he will bring every work to judgment including every secret thing, whether it is good or evil.

Those of us who hold these statements as truths keep our hearts free from sin. And the way to keep our hearts free from sin is to obey Scripture when it tells us to guard our hearts with diligence, for out of it are the issues of life (see Proverbs 4:23).

Then immediately after these verses that make us tremble, Jesus spoke of the Father’s great love for his children. And he proved this great love for us beyond doubt at the cross (see Romans 5:8).

We can walk in his fear and at the same time bask in his love.

Father, may I tremble this night at the thought of you and at the same time reflect on your love for me.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Psalms 42:1-6
    Luke 11:33-54

I Will Rejoice

Some days I feel downcast, and I don’t know why. I find myself saying with the psalmist, Why are you cast down oh my soul? I have everything to be thankful for. Plus, all my sins are forgiven, and I have everlasting life!

Then there are times when I’m in the lions’ den yet have unspeakable joy. My only explanation is that it is perhaps spiritual oppression.

The way to battle the demonic realm is through prayer. David said, “O my God, my soul is cast down within me; Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan.” (Psalm 42:6).

He prayed and then he remembered God from the land of Jordan. In other words, he thought about his relationship with God before he crossed over to the promised land. That’s what we must do. We must remember what God has saved us from. He hasn’t treated us according to our iniquities.

Therefore, I will rejoice and offer the sacrifice of praise even though I feel down.

That is evidence of trust in God.

Father, I am so thankful for what you have done in my life.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    New Devotional Theme: Experiencing Jesus Together through Lent

Bible Reading:

Philippians 3

Key Scripture Focus:

“I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection of the dead.” Philippians 3:10-11 NIV

A Call To: Draw Near

Ahhh, here’s the point of Christian life—“I want to know Christ.” To know Christ in every way! Earlier in this scripture passage, it talks about “not having a righteousness of my own,” but one based on Jesus and faith in Him only, not my own attempts to be good. Knowing Jesus is more than knowing about Jesus. Knowing Jesus means trusting Jesus. Trusting He loves you and me. Leaning on His sinless life and death on a cross to save us because we can’t …absolutely cannot save ourselves!

Relying on His resurrection for new life inside our own souls now, and eventually a new life physically, just like Jesus, when we too, are raised from the dead. What a massive relief to know that I cannot save myself, but Jesus can and Jesus does. Now good days, hard days, all days become about abiding in Jesus.

Reflection:

In what area of your life do you want to know Jesus and abide in Him more fully?

Praise + Prayer:
    I want to know You more, Jesus! I don’t want to keep You out of any area of my life. Instead, I want to know You in every single part of my life…good days and days where I am suffering. Help me trust and abide in You, knowing that Your death and resurrection life both save and sustain me. Thank you. Amen!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Hebrews 2
    Key Verses: 14-18

Commentary Thoughts

Scripture: “Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. 16For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants. 17For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. 18Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.” Hebrews 2:14-18 NIV

As the men walked out after Bible Study, I noticed that one guy was seated in the corner, his eyes fixed on the floor.

When I asked what was going on, he quietly said, "I have an addiction problem with my computer. My wife has no idea that I've battled this for over ten years."

Hebrews 2 declares that because of the death of Jesus, we have been set free and are not "held in slavery."

That day in a locker room, the question hung in the air. If we are no longer slaves to sin, then why a decade of defeat? To answer the question, we began by talking about the mercy of Jesus.

Hebrews 2 describes him as our "merciful and faithful high priest," which means that our sin doesn't change His love for us.

Hebrews 2 also declares that "He is able to help those who are being tempted." But how does he help us?

As we talked, a question formed in my mind. "In light of this, would you say that your Christian life has become about sin management?" The answer was immediate.

“Yes. When I manage to stay pure for a few weeks, I feel good about my faith walk. When I stumble and fall, I feel like I'm far away from God. It's all I can think about."

We talked and prayed, and then I suggested something radically different. "Here is your assignment. For the next several months, I want you to stop focusing on sin, and instead focus on Jesus. Delight in Him. Sing to Him!"

Several months later, I was in another locker room when suddenly I saw him, and as he walked across the room, I could see the light in his eyes. He whispered, "It worked! I'm free!"

Reflection: Has your walk with Jesus become a life of sin management, or do you still delight in the Lord? How does worshipping Jesus help you when temptation knocks on your door?

Prayer: Jesus forgive me for allowing my walk with You to drift into sin management. Forgive me for treasuring my sin instead of treasuring You.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading:

Matthew 6
    Key Verse: 21

“Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.”
    Matthew 6:21 NLT

Commentary:

The word treasure can evoke many images. One may think of an old pirate treasure of rubies, silver, and gold. There have been many treasure hunters who would devote their lives to this elusive loot. Some men and women have gone as far as losing their life in the peril of the search.

When I read Matthew 6:21, it is sobering to realize that a wrong desire that becomes a strong desire can lead to the loss of my life. There is another word for such strong desires: it is called lust. Many of us are familiar with lust, especially in a sexual context. I once pictured lust as a spirit that lures the human desire beyond love or affection. It can become so strong that the pursuit of this false love can become exploitative. In today's culture, it is the very thing that destroys relationships, marriages, along with one's own life. For some, it's not another person we lust after; it's food, a pick-up truck, or shopping, or sultry series on Netflix.

We must be careful not to let false treasure lead us and lure us away from the real treasure in our lives. When we align ourselves with the pure desire for God, we then allow Him to be the fulfillment of that desire in our hearts. He is the only one who can quench that desire. Through the consistent reading of His Word, He supplies us with the answers we have been looking for in the wrong places.

Reflection:

Can you imagine if we pursued God with the intensity of diving for treasure at the bottom of the ocean, and the response we would get from our heavenly Father?

The next time you are in worship, think about the time and energy it takes to pay for your dream car and think about how you can give more energy and time to praise God. Pursue Him and listen for His voice. In times of silence, lean into what He has already spoken in His Word.

Praise + Prayer:

Heavenly Father, I ask that Your love and mercy move us to pursue You with greater intent. That we would search for Your voice in our lives as if it were the ultimate treasure. I pray that our hearts would be filled and healed by Your love. Let it overshadow all other desires so that our hearts become reliant on Your love alone.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading:

John 7:38
    Luke 5:31-32
    Matthew 26:47-56

Commentary:

Starting Over

Life can bring times where our past causes us to feel far from God. Everyone has done things they are ashamed of and we all fall short of God’s holiness.

Only Jesus can take our past mistakes and make us clean again. It is powerful to know the extent to which Jesus forgives. Christian Songwriter Jordan Feliz shares insights on experiencing mercy. He does this as he talks about his song “The River”.

Listen to Jordan

Jesus can handle whatever past you have and can bring you into God’s glory. Jordan Feliz talks about experiencing God’s mercy on a daily basis. Forgiveness that comes through Jesus is available no matter what we have done. John 7:38 says there will be “living water” flowing inside us. There is joy knowing that we are new creations through Christ. Our past no longer holds us back from praising and glorifying God.

Apply

How do you usually find yourself dealing with the past sin in your life?

Describe how it feels to know that you receive new mercies daily on behalf of what Jesus has done!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading:

Romans 5

Key Verse:

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8

Commentary:

A Call To: Reflect

Love is more than a noun. It’s more appropriately a verb. Love is demonstrated by an action. Love is not primarily an emotion, though the world emphasizes the feelings of love.

“But God demonstrates”. He puts His love in very concrete, even unbelievable terms. A righteous and holy God created us in His image. But mankind chose to go his own way and made a big mess of things.

While we were in that unattractive state, He actually DIED for us, voluntarily laying down His life that we might be restored to our holy and righteous God.

Reflection:

What would motivate the all-powerful creator to stoop to this planet and actually die a painful, humiliated death for awful, terrible, rebellious sinners?

What do you want to say to Jesus?

Praise + Prayer:

Dear Jesus, I can’t even begin to comprehend such unconditional, extravagant love. You didn’t just think it, or feel it, You actually showed it in the way you died on the cross. I’m humbled and grateful. Thank You, Jesus. Amen
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Ephesians 5
    Key Verse: Ephesians 5:2

“And walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:2

Commentary

It has been said by friends and family that I love people! Truthfully, I really do!! I have colleagues at praiseLive that say to me, “You know everyone!”

Obviously, that is an exaggeration, but it makes me pause and reflect on “knowing everyone.”

Jesus knows everyone, He is the creator. He even knew the ones that would betray Him, the ones that would reject Him and the ones that would crucify Him and yet He loved them!

Jesus loves you so much that He was willing to be crucified on a cross--that is true love and sacrifice. That is the kind of love I want to strive for, with the help of Jesus, that I would be able to love others so sacrificially.

What is a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God?

Jesus knew that the Father is drawn to pleasing scents - the scent of a holy offering and a loving sacrifice. What does that look like?

Jesus released that scent, a heavenly aroma, in this world. His fragrance conveyed the sweetness and beauty of the love of the Father. It is the aroma of love, grace, mercy, kindness, goodness and holiness.

Jesus loved so much that He gave His life as a sacrifice for everyone, but also as an act of worship to His Father.

Jesus smelled Heavenly!!!! His aroma was undeniable and people wanted to carry His same aroma.

He draws us to the Father so that we can have eternal life through Him, Jesus our Saviour!

Reflection:

What is your aroma? Do you want to release the same aroma that Jesus did? What does love look like in your life when someone hurts you or betrays you?

Praise + Prayer:

Dear Jesus,

We praise and adore You! You are worthy of all our praise!! Your name is above every other name. You are Holy and there is none beside You! Please show us how to love as You love! To love “everyone.” Jesus, let us have Your aroma to draw people into relationship with You! Let our aroma be a fragrant and sweet offering, a sacrifice, an act of complete worship to You!

Amen
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading:

John 15

Key Verse Focus:

“For the greatest love of all is a love that sacrifices all. And this great love is demonstrated when a person sacrifices his life for his friends,” John 15:13

Commentary:

I envision myself being wrapped in his love, like a fuzzy blanket on a cool winter night, when I read this verse. I envision Father God looking into my eyes with his fiery eyes saying, “My child, I love you so much that I sent my son to die in your place. I asked him to do this so that you will have eternal life with me in Heaven. I chose you before the beginning of time. I never had a plan B.”

Perfect love is also loving someone knowing that they may not love you back. God has never held back in his relationship with you or me. He’s not afraid of rejection or our imperfections. He’s not afraid of our doubts or our process.

He has already chosen you and provided us with a redemptive plan---JESUS!

He is a perfect father with an everlasting love. Reflect on how sacrificial his love truly is for you.

Reflection:

Ask Jesus if there are any lies that you are believing about his perfect love for you? If you heard yes, ask him to show you what they are.

Repent for believing the lies and then ask Jesus what the truth is.

Praise + Prayer:

Father God, we praise You and thank You for being a perfect Father to us. Thank You for sending Your Son, Jesus, to take our place and die a horrific death so that we can spend eternity with You. Thank You for choosing me first.

Help me have a greater revelation of Your love for me.

I want to encounter Your love in fresh ways. Soften my heart so that I may receive all that You have for me today.

I love You, Father. Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading Psalm 143

Key Verse: “I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.“ Psalm 143:5 NIV

A Call To: Meditate

What do you think of when you hear the word ‘meditate?’ Do you imagine a quiet, dark room with a lavender scented candle burning, sitting with your legs criss-crossed, hands resting on the knees, taking deep breaths through the nose with throaty exhales? Then what do you think about?

Guided meditation has become a rising star in the mental health, self-help and self-care worlds. It’s a popular talk show topic, supported by research studies with tons of books, apps, pod-casts, you-tube videos and all the streaming music platforms have playlists to aid in developing a practice. Why? Because it works well.

But, this shouldn’t be a surprise to the believer since most ‘newly discovered’ beneficial therapies are essentially guided by Biblical truths.

Meditation is not a new fad but there is a difference in the Biblically endorsed meditation. Meditation is a tool used to reflect on the Word and work of God. It’s meant to be a practice, meaning you have to do it often because if you can’t remember what you had for lunch last week, how will you remember what the Lord has done unless you intentionally take time to focus and think about it.

Biblical meditation is the best form of meditation.

If you want to develop this optimal meditation practice, the focus of your meditation must be on the Lord, His Word and His work in your life.

Thinking about this over and over (meditating) will change your thought life, which will change your behaviors and grow your faith.

Reflection: What do you find yourself meditating on (thinking about over and over again) when you are still? How can you be more intentional about Biblical meditation? What about starting with Psalm 143:5 and meditating on all that God has done for you this week?

Praise + Prayer: God, thank You that you are the originator of every good and perfect thing. Thank you that You knew we need meditation as a practice in our lives and You didn’t leave us to figure it out on our own or rely on man. You have given us instructions on how to meditate so that You are glorified and our faith grows. I have so much to meditate on because You have done so much for me. Help me to not give in to the enemy who would want me to forget all Your works. Help me commit to meditation daily so that I can always remember. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

“Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes.” Psalm 119:97-99

Commentary:

I love Lent. Some people “give up something for Lent”. I remember as a kid going to very somber Lenten services in my little country church.

But now Lent is something very sweet to me, very personal, very contemplative. This is a time to meditate on His word. To review His commands.

To seek His wisdom, which is wiser than the purported wisdom of this world. To gain insight into God’s eternal plan for our salvation.

Break away from the formalities and traditions, and take your humble place at the foot of the cross. Get alone and tell God how much you love Him.

Reflection:

Here’s your question to ponder: What in your life do you need to set aside right now to gain a greater appreciation for what Jesus has done for you through His death (to defeat sin) and His resurrection (to defeat death)?

Praise + Prayer:

Dear loving Father. I pause just now to meditate on your Word. Give me wisdom and insight into Your ways. Help me to carry those thoughts with me in the coming days as we observe Your death and resurrection. I love you, Jesus. Amen
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Matthew 4
    Key Verse Matthew 4:4

But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God,” Matthew 4:4 NLT

Commentary

Have you ever fasted from anything for 40 days? Depending on what you are fasting from, the temptation to break your fast is real. A couple of years ago the Lord asked me to do a 40 day Daniel Fast.

I was unsure of how I would complete this since I was so used to drinking coffee every morning and loved sweets, especially chocolate! As the fast progressed, I was amazed at the grace that God had given me to go without coffee or sweets.

There were still temptations to break my fast, and I caved one time, but I do believe that His grace is sufficient for us! Because of this experience, I have incorporated fasting more regularly into my life.

I often thought of Jesus when he was fasting in the wilderness for 40 days, only consuming water and having the enemy constantly provoking Him.

He didn’t have the comfort of His home or distractions to take His mind off of what He didn’t have. His convictions were strong. Between the Holy Spirit and the Word of God, He was able to overcome all that the enemy threw His way.

I have given in too often to my flesh more than I would like to admit. As I have let the Word of God renew my mind and transform my perspective, saying no has become less of a struggle.

Discovering the grace that God provides is life changing. It truly takes the pressure off of feeling the need to be perfect. Allowing the Holy Spirit to minister to my heart and heal the broken places of my life adds another level of confidence in what God is capable of doing in my life.

Hebrews 4:15 reminds us that Jesus understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. Let’s be believers that are sustained by the Word of God to satisfy our temptations. He will help us overcome the temptations in our lives.

Reflection:

Is there an area of your life where you are needing Jesus’ help to over come an area of temptation? Invite Jesus into this area of your life.

Ask Him if there are any lies that you are believing around this temptation and then ask Him for the truth and how He sees you.

Praise + Prayer:

Father, I thank You that we don’t have to overcome temptations on our own. I thank You for Your grace. I thank You that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are always with me and that I’m never alone in my weakness. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit and let the Fruits of Your Spirit be more evident in my life. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

With my lips I proclaim all the judgments of Your mouth. I rejoice in the way of Your testimonies as much as in all riches.I will meditate on Your precepts and regard Your ways. I will delight in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.”

Psalms 119:13-16 Berean Study Bible

Commentary:

Proclaiming the truth of God's Word is an honor.

But, preaching God's Word to ourselves is what changes us and gives us credibility to share about Jesus with our inner circle.

David Martyn Lloyd-Jones says it this way: "Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself?"

When you have a moment, write these phrases from Psalm 119 and ask the Holy Spirit to help you personalize each statement.

"With my lips I proclaim..."

"I rejoice in..."

"I will meditate on..."

"I will delight in..."

"I will not forget..."

As you speak to yourself, faith and hope will arise because your God sees your determination not to forget His word.

Reflection:

What is an area in your life where you have been listening to yourself instead of preaching God's Word to yourself?

Praise + Prayer:

Jesus, I rejoice in such great salvation, and I meditate on Your sacrifice. I will not listen to my emotions or the messages that tell me I don't have enough. I delight in You!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Bible Reading

Matthew 4:1-17

Key Verse: Verse 17

“From then on Jesus began to preach, “Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.” Matthew 4:17 NLT

Commentary:

A Call To: Repentance

Do you remember when you first accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior?

Almost 30 years later and I can vividly remember that moment. I was nine years old, sitting in the church basement after the Easter service, enjoying brunch with my family and the gospel message was shared.

I remember this tugging feeling in my heart and I knew that I needed Jesus. I repented of my sins and confessed with my words that Jesus died on the cross for my sins and rose again so that I could have eternal life. I made a decision that day to live my life for Him.

“Repent of your sins and turn to God.” When I read that, I see that God had already chosen me.

He was already pursuing me, I just needed to choose Him in return. I didn’t have to get my act together before I could enter into a relationship with Him, it was just a gentle prompting by the Holy Spirit that I was missing something--- that was Jesus. Sin keeps us separated from God. He is inviting us into something so much greater!

Reflection:

Write down your salvation testimony and then ask God for an opportunity to share it with someone.

Praise + Prayer:

Father, Thank You for Jesus and thank You for choosing me. Purify my heart and mind. Show me the areas of my life that I need to repent and trust You. I ask that You would open up an opportunity where I can testify of how good You are!

Open my eyes to see the one that needs you today. In Jesus’ name, Amen.