Replies

• 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 7,672 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Psalms 37:5
    Proverbs 19:21

Commentary Thoughts

Saying “yes” in the face of God’s “no” is a breaking process, and it is very painful. But it is also the place where God begins a new thing. Rarely do we understand it at the time.

The Lord does not ask that we be okay with being broken. He only asks that we submit to the breaking and trust Him with it.

The apex of obedience to God is to faithfully say, “Lord, let this cup pass from me, nevertheless, not my will, but your will be done,” to release what is behind and press on to what lies ahead, to surrender, to let God close the door, regardless of how much it hurts.

Let Abraham testify. He was commanded to surrender his will and lay his son, Isaac, on the altar of sacrifice.

Isaac was Abraham’s miracle baby, born when his father was one hundred years old. And yet God called Abraham to lay his miracle on the altar at Mount Moriah.

Facing the biggest loss in his life also led to Abraham’s biggest miracle, becoming not just Isaac’s father but the father of many nations.

How is obedience related to the discovery of God’s will for your life?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    2 Timothy 3:15-17
    Ephesians 6:13-17
    Ephesians 3:20

Commentary Thoughts:

The Bible Transforms Nations

It’s the early 1800s. A 12-year-old Nigerian boy and his family are taken from their home and forced onto a Portuguese slave ship bound for America. But before the boat has a chance to leave the African coast, it’s raided by an anti-slavery patrol and the traffickers are arrested.

The boy and his family are then liberated and sent to Sierra Leone. It’s here that he discovers the power of the Bible.

After becoming a Christian, Samuel Ajayi Crowther began learning multiple languages and going on missionary expeditions into the countries near Sierra Leone. But this entire time, he was studying the Bible in English because it didn’t exist in Yoruba—his Nigerian language.

This meant that the people in Nigeria who didn’t speak English couldn’t read God’s Word for themselves. So Ajayi helped create a written grammar system for Yoruba and then translated the Bible into that language.

Once he finished the Yoruba Bible, he continued to translate Scripture into other Nigerian languages so that more people could discover the life-change that he had experienced.

Crowther was later elected “Bishop of the Niger” by the Anglican church, becoming the first Black Anglican bishop. And today, the Anglican Church of Nigeria is the second largest Anglican province with over 18 million baptized members.

The same God who worked through Crowther also wants to work through you to impact the world through His Word. There are people waiting to be transformed by the Bible that only you are perfectly positioned to reach.

So today, ask God to reveal the role you can play in the story He’s telling, and watch as He does more through your life than all you can ask, think, or imagine.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    1 Thessalonians 3:1-13

Faithful God, Fearful Followers

When I could bear it no longer, I sent to learn about your faith, for fear that somehow the tempter had tempted you and our labor would be in vain. (1 Thessalonians 3:5)

As parents, we love, teach, guide, and mentor our children and, when it is time, release them into the world—only to circle back in a panic to check on them again and again, afraid, like Paul, that our good work was in vain and the tempter has tempted beyond endurance. When my children went to college, I made regular pilgrimages to visit them. Sure, I missed them, but I was also afraid. Afraid that their bathrooms were health hazards, that they ate only Doritos, that they forgot about classes, never washed their hands, and disowned Jesus. Stepping into their dorms, my eyes took in every detail hoping to lessen my fear.

It gives me comfort that Paul suffered similar anxiety. He sent Timothy to check on the Thessalonians because he feared for this young church. Had the tempter gotten to them? Had Paul’s work been in vain? When Timothy returned with glowing reports of their faith and love, Paul rejoiced, gratefully entrusting their future spiritual growth and strength to a faithful Lord.

I am fearful and God is faithful. I am grateful that the Holy Spirit had more influence over my daughters during those years than any instruction I could give them. I fear it was never my work in the first place. Thank God! —Jill English

As you pray, ask God for strength to release your fears and trust in God’s faithful work.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Psalm 102

Commentary Thoughts

The Language of Lament

In my distress I groan aloud and am reduced to skin and bones. (Psalm 102:5)

I don’t lament well, especially compared to people in some other cultures and countries, where weeping and wailing are on public display. I subscribe to a keep-it-between-you-and-your-Kleenex theology. Wipe away the tears as quickly as possible. Clean up. Get it together.

This isn’t really the way I want to be, but it’s what I was taught and what I’m prone to. When my first-grade-best-friend Bobby died, I sat in the back of the car and shed quiet tears by myself. When the church secretary, Mrs. Rose, was run over, we were allowed to grieve for about five minutes before the praise songs began again. “Turn that frown upside down,” someone said.

The psalmists, on the other hand, teach us to lament, to grieve, to wail, and to make some noise doing it. As it turns out, lamenting is an act of hope, not resignation, longing for a better day, when the Lord returns to vindicate and bless, to rescue and restore. The psalmists give both permission and language to bring our deepest angst before a God who is more than capable of holding it all. Lamenting is an act of courage and of faith.

Make a mess if you need to. Live your Advent hope through messy tears and loud longings.

Raise a voice, and maybe even a fist, before a God who is loving enough to hold it all. —Chuck DeGroat

As you pray, ask God to accept your lament and hold you in your tears.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    1 Thessalonians 4:1-16

Commentary!

The Gift of Hope

The dead in Christ will rise first. (1 Thessalonians 4:16)

It has been a long journey! My husband, Javier, has been waiting for a heart transplant for two years. Although this is truly a matter for prayer, it’s hard for us to pray for that, because someone has to die for my beloved husband to receive this life-saving gift. We feel selfish asking God for a heart. Yet my husband’s lack of energy, the sense of his life slipping away little by little, and the uncertainty of waiting evoke anxiety and sorrow.

The Thessalonian Christians wondered how long they would have to wait. They sent a letter to Paul expressing sorrow about those who died and didn’t witness the second coming of the Lord.

Paul answered, reminding them that the Lord’s resurrection guarantees our glorious future. He gave the Thessalonians the gift of hope, hope in Christ’s resurrection, and the confidence of new life.

We tend to focus on the length of our waiting rather than what we should focus on: confidence in God’s gift of hope through Christ’s resurrection.

Indeed, nothing can separate us from God’s love and presence. Javier and I cling to the certainty of God’s grace and care amid the uncertainty of whether or not a heart will be provided. For all of us, the season of Advent is a time to lean into God’s good gift of hope, knowing that in the not too far away future, we will see God face to face. —Gretchen Torres

As you pray, give thanks to God for the gift of hope and ask for peace amid the uncertainty of what lies ahead.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Matthew chapter 1

Commentary Thoughts;

Mary, the mother of Jesus

“Mary was the mother of Jesus...” (Matthew 1:16)

The Gospel of Matthew opens with the genealogy of Jesus. It starts with Abraham and mentions the names of his descendants, listing many fathers and sons. The last person mentioned is “Joseph, the husband of Mary, and Mary was the mother of Jesus who is called the Messiah” (Matthew 1:16).

This is a special wording, different from all preceding ones. This phrase makes clear that Joseph was Jesus’ legal father, but not His real father. He was only married to Jesus’ mother Mary.

The following verses explain this: “Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 1:18).

Matthew touches a deep mystery here. Jesus Christ was born from a virgin. He was the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy about a special child that would be born:

“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel (which means, God with us)” (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23).

Some people consider Jesus’ virgin birth to be complete nonsense. The Bible presents it as a miracle: unbelievable, but true. What do you think?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Luke 1:28-49

Commentary Thoughts

Mary was blessed

“From now on all generations will call me blessed,

for the Mighty One has done great things for me—

holy is his name.” (Luke 1:48-49)

When the angel came to Mary, he said: “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you” (Luke 1:28). Mary was confused, not only by the appearance of the angel but also by his words. She wondered what he meant. She was just an ordinary young woman, so why would she be “highly favored”?

The rest of the story explains this. When Elizabeth greeted Mary, she exclaimed: “God has blessed you more than any other woman. And God has blessed the baby you will have. You are the mother of my Lord” (Luke 1:42-43, ERV). And some verses later: “Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!” (Luke 1:45). So, what made Mary so blessed and favored? The fact that she was to carry the Son of God in her womb and the fact that she believed and accepted this wonderful announcement.

Jesus says that hearing and keeping God’s word makes people truly blessed (Luke 11:28). That’s exactly what Mary did.

Mary was blessed and she was the woman through whom God’s blessing reached the world. Do you feel blessed as well?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Luke 2:1-33
    Micah 5:2

Commentary Thoughts:

Mary pondered God’s merciful deeds

“Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart” (Luke 2:19)

Jesus’ birth was special in so many ways. Although Joseph and Mary lived in Nazareth, they “happened to be” in Bethlehem when it was time for Mary to give birth, because Caesar Augustus had sent out an order that all people should be registered. That way, an ancient prophecy was fulfilled that Israel’s ruler would come out of Bethlehem (see Micah 5:2).

Straight after Jesus’ birth, shepherds came to worship Him because they had heard the news from a multitude of angels. Sometime later, when He was presented in the temple, an old man called Simeon took Him in his arms and praised God for this Child.

He said Jesus was “a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel” (Luke 2:32). All these events confirmed that Jesus was more than an ordinary baby. He was the promised Savior, the Son of David.

All this was too much for Mary to fully understand at once. But she did not just put it aside. She continued to think about these things.

That’s a good thing to do. Not just for Mary, but also for us. Take some time to ponder God’s merciful deeds today. They are worth thinking about!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Luke 1:46-55
    Luke 2:10-11

Commentary Thoughts

Mary rejoiced in God

“And Mary said: ‘My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.’” (Luke 1:46-47)

Mary must have been awestruck by the news of her extraordinary pregnancy and motherhood. She may have had many questions. But joy prevailed. At last God was fulfilling His promises “as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His offspring forever" (Luke 1:55).

The coming of the King was good news because it meant salvation for the people. Thus, Jesus’ birth was later announced to the shepherds:

“Behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord” (Luke 2:10-11).

Mary saw only the beginning of God's saving work, but she expressed her joy and gratitude in a beautiful song. We know how Jesus' life progressed, how He suffered and died, but also rose again from the dead.

Therefore, we have all the more reason to thank God and rejoice. Will you sing along?

“My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior...” (Luke 1:46-47).
  • 316Judith
    Options
    John 2:1-12
    Genesis 41:53-57

Commentary Thoughts:

Mary’s position

“When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to Him, ‘They have no wine.’ And Jesus said to her, ‘Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.’ His mother said to the servants, ‘Do whatever He tells you.’” (John 2:3-5)

The Gospel of John records Jesus’ first miracle. This happened when Jesus had grown up. His public ministry had begun and He was baptized with the Holy Spirit. This also implied that He was no longer “submissive” to Joseph and Mary, but only to His Father in heaven.

At a wedding, the wine ran out. When Mary noticed this, she informed Jesus of this problem. Apparently, she was convinced that He could solve it. But Jesus told her, “Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come” (John 2:4). Mary was not in the position to tell Jesus what to do, and when to do it.

However, Mary was not insulted by His answer. Instead, she told the servants: “Do whatever He tells you”. She believed that Jesus could provide in a situation of shortage, echoing the words from Genesis 41:55 where Pharaoh told the people to go to Joseph and do whatever he told them, in order to get the food they needed.

Mary’s position had changed. She could no longer tell Jesus what to do, but she could point others towards Him and wait for Him to intervene. That is the role of a true and faithful disciple!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    John 19:25
    Luke 24:21
    Matthew 26:56
    Luke 2:35

Commentary

Mary’s soul was pierced, but she did not turn away from her Son

“But standing by the cross of Jesus were His mother and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.” (John 19:25)

Jesus’ miracles were impressive. His teaching possessed authority. Large crowds followed Him. As some of His followers remarked later, “we had hoped that He was the one to redeem Israel” (Luke 24:21).

But when Jesus was arrested by the Romans, these hopes were shattered. The crowds demanded His crucifixion. Matthew 26:56 even says that “all the disciples left Him and fled”.

But some of Jesus’ followers were standing by the cross to watch His suffering and death. Among them was His mother Mary. She did not turn away from her Son when everything seemed to go wrong. At this moment, the prophetic words of Simeon to Mary were fulfilled: “A sword will pierce through your own soul” (Luke 2:35).

It must have been heart-wrenching for Mary to watch the intense suffering of her beloved Son, knowing that He had not earned this punishment. Maybe she understood that He died in her place…? I don’t know to what extent Mary grasped that the child that she delivered would now deliver her, by dying in her place.

Take a moment to ponder both the horror and the glory of Jesus’ atoning death on the cross.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    John 19:26-27
    John 13:35

Jesus cared for Mary

“When Jesus saw His mother and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, ‘Woman, behold, your son!’ Then He said to the disciple, ‘Behold, your mother!’ And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.” (John 19:26-27)

Jesus was Mary’s firstborn Son. By the time He had grown up, her husband Joseph had probably died (since he is not mentioned anywhere in later stories). This would have left Mary a vulnerable widow, economically dependent on her children. Jesus could not take His responsibility as her firstborn Son, since He would die, arise from the dead and return to heaven.

But even in His intense suffering on the cross, He showed His care for Mary. When He saw her standing nearby with “the disciple whom He loved”, He made the provision that this disciple would care for her as a son would naturally do.

Although Jesus’ words sound a little cryptic to me, His message was understood, since the disciple took Jesus’ mother to live in his home from then on.

This story is a wonderful example for us. May it inspire us to care for our parents or other family members who need help. But this story also shows God’s desire for Christians to care for each other as “spiritual brothers and sisters” or, in this case, as sons and mothers.

As Jesus said, “By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:35).
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Mary became one of Jesus’ followers

“All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and His brothers.” (Acts 1:14)

After Jesus’ resurrection and ascension into heaven, His disciples were together. They were devoting themselves to prayer and awaited the coming of the Holy Spirit, as promised by Jesus. Luke lists the eleven disciples (since Judas Iscariot had left), and then adds “the women”, Mary the mother of Jesus, and Jesus’ brothers. Whereas Jesus’ brothers had previously abandoned and ridiculed Him, now they were gathering with His closest followers. They had finally recognized that their half-brother was the Son of God!

This is the last time Mary is mentioned in the Bible. Her role as Jesus’ mother was fulfilled. From then on, she was “just” part of this group of disciples. The later Bible writers never mention her by name. Their attention is solely focused on Mary’s Son, Jesus Christ.

Mary is an inspiring example of a humble woman with great faith. We can marvel over the miracle of Jesus’ incarnation in which Mary played a crucial role. But our devotion is reserved for Jesus alone. Let us echo Mary’s song: “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior” (Luke 1:46-47).

Thank you for completing this reading plan. If you want to learn more about Jesus Christ, you can subscribe to our e-course “The Life of Jesus”. You will have a personal mentor who will give feedback to your answers and to whom you can ask follow-up questions. This is a great opportunity to get to know Jesus better!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    The Hebrew word for peace is shalom, and it describes a deep sense of well-being that comes through the presence of completion, reconciliation, and justice.

Read:

Proverbs 16:7

Reflection and Discussion Questions:

Considering what you have learned about God in the Bible, name three ways (thoughts, actions, or words) people can bring pleasure to God.
    How do you imagine these three ways could bring peace, even between enemies?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    The apostle Paul says Jesus himself is our peace. Jesus removed all the things that separate humanity from one another and from God and now offers his peace to others as a gift.

Jesus’ followers are called to receive, keep, and cultivate this gift of peace, which requires humility, gentleness, patience, and love.

Read:

Ephesians 2:11-15, Ephesians 4:1-3, Ephesians 4:29-32

How did Jesus make peace between two sharply divided people groups (Jews and Gentiles), and why did he do it (see Ephesians 2:16)?

Review Ephesians 4:1-3 carefully. How can humility, gentleness, patience, and love help to maintain the unity Jesus made for his followers? What happens to unity when one of these virtues is missing?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    The apostle Paul writes his letter to the Philippians from prison. He knows hardship, but he also knows the peace of God. This is because biblical peace, like hope, is based on a person and not on circumstances. Paul calls followers to rejoice in God at all times, to pray, to give thanks, and to think on what is good and true. Paul shows how these habits can lead to experiencing the peace of God even in the midst of great difficulty.

Read:

Philippians 4:1-9

Review verses 7 and 9. What does God’s peace protect?

Make a list of the instructions Paul gives in Philippians 4:1-9 (e.g. “stand firm in the Lord,” “live in harmony,” etc).

Observe your list and imagine making one into a habit. What would that habit practically look like in your daily life? How do you think it could lead to a renewed experience of God’s protective peace?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Food for Thought:

How can anyone experience joy amid so much chaos and sorrow? Circumstances can let us down, but God’s promises can sustain joy. For example, when God rescued Israel from slavery, they shouted for joy even though they were still in the middle of the wilderness, far away from the land God promised to give to them.

Read:

Psalm 105:42-43, Exodus 15:1-3

Which promises of God help you to be joyful today?

Which specific actions of God encourage you to be joyful today?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Strengthen yourself in Lord

"David was in great danger; for the people spoke of stoning him, because all the people were bitter in spirit for their sons and daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God." 1 Samuel 30:6 -8

Oftentimes as men we become overwhelmed by the responsibility to not only work hard and maintain our material possessions but also to care for and protect the people we love. So when we feel as though we have failed in that responsibility, the weight of that failure becomes crippling. It is this weight that causes David and his men to lose their strength.

Though we may not always admit it and oftentimes try to hide it, there are times when we too lose our strength, however, these moments of weakness are not to be despised for they create an opportunity for God to show himself strong.

The Apostle Paul writes in 2 Corinthians; “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness..” The beauty in having a relationship with God is that you don't have to rely upon your own strength, might, and valor; as you can be like David and in your time of weakness lean on God and strengthen yourself in Him.

After David had strengthened himself in the Lord, he called upon Abiathar the priest to bring him the ephod. The ephod was a part of the ceremonial garment the priests were instructed by God to wear. When David puts on the ephod he is reclaiming his responsibility as a man, a husband, and a father to intercede for his family. In the times that we are living in it is imperative that men reclaim their responsibility to pray and cover their families.

God then instructs David to pursue his enemy and recover all that was lost. But David was not able to do that on his own; he had 400 men go with him. As men, we must recognize we are stronger together and we do not have to bear the weight of this world on our own, but with our brother's support and the strength of the Lord, in 2022, we will be able to bear what lies ahead.

Reflection:

What takes your strength, and how do you spiritually strengthen yourself when you are feeling weak?

As a man do you often feel as though you are fighting alone? Do you have supportive relationships around you?

Pray for your family and cover those you love and care for.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Sooner or later, God’s wisdom leads to joy (see Psalm 19:7-8).

But since Satan’s deceptions usually reward with temporary pleasures, it is easy to be tricked into believing otherwise.

Read:

Psalm 19:7-11, Genesis 3:1-7

Compare these passages. What words and concepts are repeated in both texts? What ironies do you notice as you compare these passages?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    The prophet Isaiah looked forward to the coming of Israel’s redeemer. His prophecies were fulfilled with the arrival of Jesus. This is one of the reasons why it is significant that the angels announced Jesus’ birth as “good news that brings great joy.”

Read:

Luke 2:9-11

Why were the shepherds afraid?
    What reasons did the angels give for them to rejoice instead?