Replies

• 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 7,672 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hebrews 12:22-23
    Revelation 7

Commentary Thoughts by Tony Evans

Heaven is home. It’s home because it's where your heavenly Father is. It’s a place to experience love and rest and purpose. It’s a family location. All your brothers and sisters in Christ will be there.

Heaven will be populated by those who love God. The Old Testament saints will be there—we can have lunch with Abraham, grab a cup of coffee with Jacob, and walk the malls of heaven with Esther and Ruth. David and Moses will be there, and we can ask Adam and Eve why they ate that fruit. All the New Testament saints will be there as well—Paul, and Peter, and all the apostles. And we can have a glorious reunion with those we loved on earth and missed so much when they passed away. Best of all, God will be there with open arms to receive us into our eternal home.

When He left this earth, Jesus said, “I go to prepare a place for you” (John 14:3). The reservations have been made in your name and He’s ready when your time comes to check in.

Who are you looking forward to being reunited with in heaven?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Philippians 4:1-19
    Luke 6:38
    Galatians 6:7

Your harvest depends on what you sow.

This is the simple principle of farming that if you plant apple seeds, you won’t get a pear tree. What you plant has to be predicated on what you want to harvest. That’s why Jesus said in Luke 6:38, “Give, and it will be given to you.” Your need will tell you the kind of seed to plant so that your seed will reproduce after its own kind. The Bible cautions us: “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap” (Galatians 6:7).

The problem is a lot of people want to sow evil and reap good. So if your sowing is bad, expect to reap bad unless you resow. To access God’s grace in the law of the harvest, you sow what you want to reap.

The apostle Paul made a great promise in Philippians 4:19, which says: “And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus.” The phrase “according to” means “in keeping with;” in other words, a supply that is in character with the God who owns it all. That’s exciting, but the preceding 18 verses of Philippians 4 show that this promise of a bountiful harvest on God’s part is set in the context of faithful giving to His work as the Philippians supported Paul.

If the Lord were to give you the necessities of life - food, clothing, shelter - “according to” your giving to His work, would you have plenty?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    2 Corinthians 9:1-13
    Key Verses: 10-11

Your harvest depends on where you sow.

When I brought this message at our church, I sprinkled watermelon seeds on the carpet, telling the people that I wanted watermelons so I was sowing what I wanted to reap. Everyone laughed, or course, because I was violating a fundamental rule of sowing. I was “planting” my watermelon seeds in an environment that was not conducive to their growth. In biblical terms, I was planting good seed in bad soil.

You can’t just plant your seed anywhere; you have to plant it in soil that is designed to receive and nourish the seed that is being planted. In the spiritual realm, sowing in good soil is to invest in that which will allow you to legitimately give thanks to God. Paul explained it this way in our text: “Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness; you will be enriched in everything for all liberality, which through us is producing thanksgiving to God” (2 Corinthians 9:10-11).

Can you give thanks to God for where you are sowing your seed? Are you sowing it in a place where it will reap a harvest of righteousness that is producing praise and glory and thanksgiving to God? If you cannot give thanks to God for where you are sowing your seed, then you ought not to be sowing it in that place. Giving that produces a harvest of righteousness is that which benefits others and gives a basis for thanksgiving.

Where do you need to plant your seed to bring the greatest glory to God?
  • 316Judith
    edited September 2021
    Options
    New Devotional Series
    A U Turn from Emotional Issues

Romans 6:1-4
    2 Corinthians 5:17

Commentary Thoughts

Let me remind you of a very important truth about emotions: they don’t have an intellect.

They don’t think. They merely respond.

Emotions must borrow thoughts in order to stimulate feelings. Therefore, whoever or whatever controls your thoughts, controls how you feel. Your emotions are established and ruled by how you think about the circumstances in your life.

So, if you want to master your emotions and overcome emotional strongholds in your life, you need to master your thinking.

When you align your thoughts with God’s truth, you will be set free.

Take a look in the mirror. That person you see was co-crucified, co-buried, and co-resurrected with Christ.

In the eyes of God, when Jesus died two thousand years ago, so did you. When He was buried, you lay in the tomb with Him. When He rose, you did too.

Even though you may only have received Christ a short time ago, God took what happened to Jesus so many years ago and has made it part of your spiritual reality.

Satan is a master at planting thoughts in your mind and making you think they are your own.

Perhaps you do hear him saying something like, “I can’t overcome low self-esteem and the comparison trap. I can’t be free from this emotional bondage. I can’t resist these old habits of falling into depression.” He may say those things to you, or you may even say them to yourself, but in order to overcome them, you must stop believing the lies.

All those statements may have been true when the old you was alive, but that person died on the cross along with Christ. You are a completely new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17).

What lies are you believing about yourself?
  • 316Judith
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    Psalms 118:8

One of the major emotional strongholds people deal with today is known as codependency.

There are other terms that expand this stronghold to just beyond one relationship—those terms would be people-pleasing and social-media addictions. But, for starters, let’s look at codependency.

Codependency is a coping mechanism (one form of an emotional stronghold) that enables a person to deal—albeit wrongly—with a lack he or she may feel. Perhaps there is a lack of self-worth and self-esteem or strong feelings of being rejected.

Regardless, codependency usually involves using a person or people to fix what is broken. I call this having a people stronghold.

God is the only One who has the power and the ability to meet our needs. The trouble comes when we insist on turning to others before we turn to Him. Throughout His Word, we read how God uses people in the lives of others.

However, we never read where God is pleased when we allow people and things to take His place. In fact, the opposite is true; we have created an emotional idol. Even an addiction to social media can fall into the category of emotional idolatry.

There exists a fine line between enjoying some relationship or benefiting from social media connections and the devolution of emotional relationships or comparisons. People and relationships are a gift which we should enjoy.

But we also want to be careful that we do not allow our emotions to turn into a stronghold of depression, loneliness, envy, doubt, or fear.

You need to remind yourself that, in Christ, you have everything you need. You don’t need to hold out for something from some other person to make you complete.

What or whom are you relying on for your sense of self-worth?
  • Healthyme7410
    Healthyme7410 Posts: 9,891 Member
    Options
    Wow very good question! I tend to rely on my husband for many things because he is close by but Jesus wants to be closer and is much wiser than our human "idols".
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Isaiah 14:14
    2Corinthians 12:4-7
    2 Corinthians 11:1-15

Why was Paul given this “thorn in the flesh”?

In the preceding verses, Paul described an experience where he had been, as the Bible says,

“Caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.”

Because of the surpassing greatness of these revelations, Paul noted that his thorn was given to him to keep him from exalting himself (2 Corinthians 12:4-7).

In other words, Paul was tempted to be prideful and to engage in boasting because of these revelations. The thorn was in place to inhibit this desire.

In fact, Paul was already engaged in a pitched battle against false teachers who were boasting that their own accomplishments and visions made them greater than Paul and thus worthy of a hearing among his Corinthian congregation (2 Corinthians 11:1-15).

It is no wonder then that he identified this group (and his own temptation to join in their boasting) as a “messenger of Satan”—the angelic being who fell from heaven because of his boastful desire to ascend above the heights of the clouds and make himself like the Most High (Isaiah 14:14).

Affliction, whether physical or interpersonal, can unveil what lies at the core of our fallen hearts, and this particular “thorn in the flesh” became a tool in the hand of God to unveil and address these darker motives in Paul.

What is God teaching you about yourself in the midst of your afflictions ?
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    He is teaching me to have more faith and to be more attentive and patient to others who are suffering both physically and mentally.
  • 316Judith
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Amen, thank you for sharing....yes, I believe thats what we all want, to be more attentive and patient to all people, no matter what their needs, yes, I join you, thats what I want...😊👍
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Genesis 32
    2 Corinthians 12:8-10
    Philippians 2:5-11

Commentary by Tony Evans

Why is the “thorn in the flesh” not removed?

Paul unsuccessfully implored the Lord to remove this “thorn in the flesh” three times. Instead of removing the thorn, God explained the lesson that the thorn was in place to teach:

“My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness (2 Corinthians 12:8).”

What sort of power is best demonstrated or “perfected” through weakness? Paul went on to identify this power as the power of Christ—a power that was not demonstrated in pride and boasting but in humble, self-giving service to others, leading ultimately to death on a cross (Philippians 2:5-11).

It is only in the utter weakness and death on the cross that the power of the resurrection is released into our world. Paul’s affliction was training him to choose the humble, self-giving “weakness” of Christ over the rival temptation to pride, boasting, and power:

“Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weakness, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me” (2 Corinthians 12:9).

As a result, Paul’s weak, afflicted life was becoming a vehicle that exalted God rather than himself.

I want to remind you of the Old Testament patriarch Jacob who spent his later years afflicted by a limp that he had received at the hand of an angel of the Lord in a midnight wrestling match (Genesis 32).

Jacob would have viewed this as a “grace limp” because the dislocation of his hip constantly reminded him that he had met God and for once had refused to let God go, receiving a blessing for himself and his descendants.

Are you willing to face God and learn the lessons He has for you in the midst of your affliction? Have your places of affliction and seasons of weakness become reminders of God’s grace and strength?

Have you learned, like Paul, to be content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecution, and with difficulties for Christ’s sake? For when we are weak, then we are made truly strong (2 Corinthians 12:10).

Are you allowing your life to be a vehicle that exalts God rather than yourself, like Paul?
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Matthew 22:36-39

Commentary by Tony Evans

Talents

Each of us has been tasked with managing the talents God has given to us. These are the skills He has bestowed upon you for His purposes. Whatever He has given to you, whether skills, abilities, talents or personality traits, He’s placed it all within your disposal in order to usher in greater good for others and expanded glory for Him.

The Bible declares that your greatest Christian stewardship is not seen in what you get from God but in what God, through you, can give to others as you serve Him in alignment with your gifts. This can sometimes be tough for people to do because we live in a “me” generation. We live in a culture of selfies and narcissistic promotional ways.

Yet God has asked each of us to use that which we’ve been given not to balloon our own platform or build our own brand, but to advance His kingdom agenda on earth. One of the primary components of that agenda is helping those who are less fortunate than yourself according to the gifts and skills He has given you.

Loving God and loving others are the first and second commandments we have been given to carry out as kingdom stewards (see Matthew 22:36-39).

This love ought to show up in our feet through what we do to strengthen others through the gifts, abilities and talents God has given to us
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    When we use our God given talents and abilities it is much easier to bless others because it is natural for us. When we try to be something other people think we should be or what we think it does not work nearly as well.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Amen, thank you for sharing

Luke 14
    Key Verse Luke 14:33

Commentary Thoughts

Treasures

In addition to your time and your talents, God has given you treasures. This includes not only money but also the tangible items over which you have been assigned as a steward. Whether it is your home, vehicles, material possessions or money—

God has a purpose for all He has allowed you to obtain in this life. That purpose is to serve Him, bring good to others, and expand the manifestation of His kingdom rule on earth.

One way you are to steward the treasures He has given is by bringing it under God’s sovereignty.

The use of what you own must yield to His will.

Even owning what you own must yield to His will.

As Jesus said in Luke 14:33, “So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.”

That’s not a verse you hear preached on frequently or find as the title of a best-selling book. Can you imagine what would happen if someone published a book called Follow Jesus by Giving Up All You Own?

It’s doubtful that book would get much exposure around the digital world or any buyers at all. Truth be told, we like our stuff.

But a kingdom steward must maintain a biblical perspective when it comes to stuff.

And that perspective means returning the ownership of all your possessions to God.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    New Theme: In Everything Give Thanks

1 Thessalonians 5:16-22

Commentary by Tony Evans

Here is Paul the preacher again. Though it almost seems as if he is nearing the end of his sermon, he has a lot more to say. He peppers the Thessalonians with short command, trusting the Holy Spirit to put meat on those bones and help them apply the commands more specially. Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in everything… Don’t stifle the Spirit...Hold on to what is good. Stay away from every kind of evil.

The commands are simple, but following them certainly isn’t! The only way we can constantly give thanks and rejoice is by knowing that God is working something out in our lives.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Psalm 91

Theme: safety in abiding in the Presence of the Lord

Indeed the Lord watches over me...😊✝️🙏
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Psalm 95

Theme: Entering into His Presence with Thanksgiving!

We have much to Thank the Lord for…We serve a Mighty God! ✝️😇
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    I totally agree!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Psalms 100:1-4

Commentary Thoughts

The people in the psalmist’s day were commanded to enter his gates and courts. Though we do not go to a temple today, we are similarly commanded to enter into his presence.

What is the password for entrance?

Thanksgiving and praise.

No matter what your circumstances, give thanks to him and bless his name because there’s always a reason to thank God. And doing so will transform you.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Matthew 17:14-21

Commentary Thoughts:

In Matthew 17, Jesus makes the complaint that people do not understand and refuse to exercise faith. In fact, He gets frustrated even. “How long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you?” (v. 17)

If you will exercise biblical faith, if you will take God at His word and act in light of what He says, you will see more.

If you are waiting to see it before you believe it, you may be waiting a long time.

But if you will believe it and act in light of it, then you will get to see some things that will absolutely amaze you!
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Mark 2:1-12
    John 13:34-35

Commentary Thoughts

If the truth be told, sometimes we have trouble believing. We have trouble exercising the faith that we may want to exercise, but it just seems to escape us.

I want you to use the strategy of Mark 2:1-12. Here was a man who was in a situation he couldn’t fix, but he got a few of his friends to lift him up, cut a hole in the roof and drop him down before Jesus. When Jesus saw their faith, He healed the man.

In fact, He healed him not only physically but spiritually. “Your sins are forgiven” (v. 5). Sometimes, we need some help and that’s why being in a community of people whose faith you can piggyback on is vital, especially when your faith is too weak to go on its own. It would be great if in every situation, we had this awesome confidence in God.

But sometimes circumstances have made our spiritual immune system weak and we just can’t get there on our own. It even takes faith to entrust yourself to others who have the faith you need. This man had to allow them to pick him up, hoist him up, and trust them not to drop him as they lowered him through the roof of the house, believing that it would make a difference.

You need to have some spiritual people in your life whom you could lean on. I remember one time, a gentleman came in to my office who was desperate but he was weak in faith. And he just grabbed me and held on to me with tears running down his eyes. He wanted me to believe with him, because he couldn’t just get there on his own, so I loaned him what I had because he even had faith to look for faith.

So, make sure you don’t let your weak faith stop you from getting together with others who can hoist you up as long as they are taking you to Jesus.