Getting old sucks

Options
2»

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium every day because I lift and eat low carb and get muscle cramps if I don't supplement...but I had no idea it might be helping with other symptoms, that's cool to know
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium every day because I lift and eat low carb and get muscle cramps if I don't supplement...but I had no idea it might be helping with other symptoms, that's cool to know

@tcunbeliever if you didn't have trouble sleeping then maybe you wouldn't see the other effects. Or take it just before bedtime and see if you sleep better!

I think it also improves my recovery time after workouts. I'm no longer as sore or for as long.

@stacyrey12 - so?!? Did you find some?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've taken Mag Bisglyconate for many years (helps my fibromyalgia sleep and pain issues immensely) and definitely sailed thru menopause with hot flashes only lasting about 30 seconds in the morning when I woke up, and no night sweats at all. Maybe I'm just lucky with menopause, but since no one in my family has been thru natural menopause (all kinds of 'female' problems) I have nothing to compare it to.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    BTW, Mag Bisglyconate, Vit. D3 and K2 will keep your bones healthy. I've never taken calcium and at my latest test last year (57 years old) I have the bone density of a 21 y.o. The combo helps keep your calcium levels balanced and being deposited in bone and teeth instead of building plaque on your artery walls too.
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks @canadjineh this is good to know! I take D3 and now the Mag Bis but I didn't K2 was a good combo with those. In fact, I don't think I've ever really heard about the benefits of K2. definitely a lesser known vitamin! I will look it up. There is so much darn information out there (and snake oil theories too).
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @k8richer Here's an interesting abstract from Google Scholar:
    The research on health of skeletal system while
    recognizing the important role of calcium and
    vitamin D3 goes beyond these nutritional
    standards in maintaining bone health.
    Preclinical and clinical studies indicate that
    essential fatty acids (especially docosahexanoic
    acid, DHA), carotenoids (such as lycopene), and
    most significantly vitamin K2 (menaquinone)
    may contribute independently and collectively to
    bone health. Natural Vitamin K2 as
    menaquinone MK-7 has been recently clinically
    demonstrated as having a fundamentally
    important role in calcium utilization in both
    bones and the cardiovascular system.
    Osteocalcin and matrix-GLA protein involved in
    building bone matrix and keeping calcium from
    accumulating in the arterial walls respectively
    need sufficient Vitamin K2 to function properly.
    Part of the mechanism of menaquinone MK-7
    may be related to preventing excessive
    expression of the pro-inflammatory factor
    Nfkappa-beta and subsequent prevention of
    osteoporosis due to osteoclast proliferation
    (osteoclastogenesis).

Here's the full research article via reasearchgate.net
    Reasearchgate publication #283666413 from 2011

Also an interesting paper from 2021 in the Journal of International Dental & Medical Research on the effects of these vitamins on bone health during the pandemic. 5 pgs long including one of references.
    jidmr.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/23-D21_1493_Sindy_Cornelia_Nelwan_Indonesiac.pdf
  • LeroyBunnycake
    LeroyBunnycake Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Re: those folks who try to sabotage our efforts by pushing food, I have become very skilled at saying “no thank you.” No explanation, no apology, no engagement with their continued efforts to “force” me to eat something that is not in my best interest. I probably got good at this when I stopped drinking alcohol over 20 years ago, so it may be easier for me. When it’s a food that I have difficulty resisting, I remind myself that I’m choosing to not eat that food “now” - it doesn’t mean I won’t ever eat it again, but it’s not on the menu today!

It’s interesting that the person’s response was ‘you’re not fat’ as if that’s the only reason we would refuse cake! I have to practice what I preach, and I don’t insist that an adult eat/drink food I make, no matter how much time and effort I’ve taken to make it. My 2 cents.