Pumkin Beer

Options
13»

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options

HOLY CRAP! I picked up a Pumking yesterday. I'll have to keep an eye out for this. I LOVE Imperial Stouts and I'm intrigued by this combination. I hope they ship this stuff down here.
    agreed. much.

I tried this over the weekend.

It was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but for the price tag, I'd probably stick with a black and tan with a stout and pumpking.
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Had my SE MI Brewery tour this weekend, and went to Griffin Claw. The head brewer there used to brew for Michigan Brewing Company. So, he has Screamin' Pumpkin... And yeah, it's delicious!!!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

HOLY CRAP! I picked up a Pumking yesterday. I'll have to keep an eye out for this. I LOVE Imperial Stouts and I'm intrigued by this combination. I hope they ship this stuff down here.
    agreed. much.

I tried this over the weekend.

It was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but for the price tag, I'd probably stick with a black and tan with a stout and pumpking.
    They had it at the grocery store yesterday so I picked up a bottle. I'll try it this weekend. It was only $1 more than the Pumking.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Had my SE MI Brewery tour this weekend, and went to Griffin Claw. The head brewer there used to brew for Michigan Brewing Company. So, he has Screamin' Pumpkin... And yeah, it's delicious!!!!

Screamin' Pumpkin is great! I'm a big fan of Griffin Claw--they have an insane business model. They're buddies with a distributor, so they're getting slipped into every alcohol angle possible. They're even at the big arenas around here now. Just wish they'd distribute their berliner weisse--it's fantastic.

I had a pumpkin at a beerfest this past weekend--Witch's Hat (based out of South Lyon) Pumpkin Porter. UNF.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Screamin' Pumpkin is great! I'm a big fan of Griffin Claw--they have an insane business model. They're buddies with a distributor, so they're getting slipped into every alcohol angle possible. They're even at the big arenas around here now. Just wish they'd distribute their berliner weisse--it's fantastic.

I had a pumpkin at a beerfest this past weekend--Witch's Hat (based out of South Lyon) Pumpkin Porter. UNF.
    Tried a similar brew myself at a local oktoberfest. a Smoked pumpkin porter. Incredibly well balanced brew.
  • leannems
    Options
    They had it at the grocery store yesterday so I picked up a bottle. I'll try it this weekend. It was only $1 more than the Pumking.

Ahh, well, I had it at the bar. So the bottle cost me $21 (for 2 beers, obvs), but they have the Pumpking/Stout on tap, so it would have likely been closer to $6 for a pint.

But if the bottles are comparatively priced, I'd likely buy the Warlock. I prefer the stout in there with my pumpkin!
  • leannems
    Options
    bumpity bump bump!

Tis the pumpkin beer season again, and I need more recommendations.

So far, nothing has beaten the Pumpking for me (even over the Warlock - I'm back on the original this year).

Anyone else have pumpkin faves?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    bumpity bump bump!

So far, nothing has beaten the Pumpking for me (even over the Warlock - I'm back on the original this year).

I like Harpoon Imperial Pumpkin better than warlock.
    I also like Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash better than warlock.
    Schlafly as far as a straight forward pumpkin ale.
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump!

Are you a sweeter pumpkin beer fan? Or more of the flavors of pumpkin over spices? This is very important in recommending since they are a TON of options out there. Screamin Pumpkin is still my favorite, but Warlock was a close second. Pumking is too sweet for me, and I'll avoid it at all costs.
  • leannems
    Options
    Pumpking is starting to get too sweet for me, but I keep going back to it. To me it has the strongest pumpkin (or pumpkin pie) flavor. Warlock wasn't bad; if I'm buying from the store I'll purchase Warlock, if I'm out at the bar, I'll save a few bucks and get Pumpking.

I used to swear by sweet beers, but I just had a pint of Creme Brulee and about died at how sweet it was. It was once my fave.

I prefer actual pumpkin flavor to spice, and like a heavier, darker beer in general.
  • leannems
    Options
    Just tried the curious traveler's pumpkin shandy. Not bad, very drinkable; more spice than pumpkin flavor, but I prefer it over pumpkin cider.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    So, here's something I'm wondering.

...is there just a pumpkin/yam beer out there, one that exists without any spicing?

my local spot does a belgian dubbel with tons of pumpkin in it, which actually works REALLY well together... but I can't think of any commercially/macro/readily available straight up pumpkin beers that aren't chock full of nutmeg/allspice/cinnamon/pie spices.
  • carapline
    carapline Posts: 9 Member
    Options

...is there just a pumpkin/yam beer out there, one that exists without any spicing?

my local spot does a belgian dubbel with tons of pumpkin in it, which actually works REALLY well together... but I can't think of any commercially/macro/readily available straight up pumpkin beers that aren't chock full of nutmeg/allspice/cinnamon/pie spices.

Last year when I was still doing the Beer of the Month Club, we received a sweet potato beer. Can't remember the name of the brewery, was something down south. Oh yeah, Lazy Magnolia, Jeff Stout: http://lazymagnolia.com/?post_type=brew No spice to it, just a bit different taste than a straight stout. Also not exactly a yam, but close.

That is all I know of, being in the middle of no where, when it comes to beer distribution. lol The only pumpkin beers we get are mass produced crap (Blue Moon), Elysian's many pumpkin beers, or Pumpkick. I kinda binged on the pumpkin beers last year, so I don't really want to drink any. If I wind up with any, I'll probably bake with them instead.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

It will depend on where you are from and what gets distributed to you...

I'm not sure there are lots of 'pumpkin ales' that are short on spices --- generally it's more common to find a 'pumpkin' beer that may not actually have pumpkin in it but it has the spices. There are some pumpkin ales that are more weak on the spices like:
    Unita Punkn
    Smuttynose Pumpkin** I don't personally like this b/c I love pumpkin beers that are heavy on the spices, but I've heard nothing but great things from others who don't like spicy pumpkin beers so if you can get this, it might be your best bet. Also, they make generally great beer.
    Long Trail Brewing Company makes one I think that's low on spices
    Post Road Pumpkin

I'm not that familiar with beers that are made with other squashes or gourds or yams/sweet potatoes -- but I know they exist, however they will also commonly have the added associated spices.

Happy beer hunting.
  • leannems
    Options
    Oh yeah, Lazy Magnolia, Jeff Stout

I adore this stout. Their Southern Pecan is pretty amazing too.