What's On Your Mind Today?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Met my Dec goal! 60 straight days of signing in since end of Oct (and may as well log food and activity while I am here anyway)

Fantastic job @BMcC9 – You are doing great 😊
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 Yes! What a terrific milestone! You are doing fantastic!! And thanks so much for always being so enthusiastic and encouraging to everyone in the UAC.... you are a valuable part of the UAC team and I appreciate YOU so much!
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    I went for a hike with my daughter. It was a hike that I had previously done by myself in half an hour and tracked in MFP as "Hiking, slow speed, 30 minutes" (or something like that - I am not a fast hiker). But it had some hills and uneven terrain so I did feel like it qualified as hiking rather than walking. When I went with my daughter we went the same route and it took as an hour and 10 minutes - super slow speed. She stopped to climb trees and stuff and I just stood there. I tracked it as half an hour again. Which kind of made me wonder -is it really the same number of calories to go the same route for half an hour as an hour? Is running a mile the same number of calories as walking a mile? Or do you get some extra calorie burn from how you move your body or staying in some kind of heartrate zone?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Caroline_slowandsteady I know from extensive experience and years of data using heart rate monitored fitness device tracking that running X miles gives me almost exactly the same number of calories as walking that exact same number of miles. I only say almost exactly because that same distance does not always yield the exact same calorie burn every single time, even for the same level of activity. But it is always VERY close, not enough variance to care. It makes sense, it requires X energy to propel Y pounds over Z distance. Since the pounds and distance are fixed the variability is the level of energy output over time.

That said, I have not regularly observed whether this also applies to a walk or run with lots of stops. That might change things a little, but in the end I would suspect it's still the same about the amount of energy expended to move your body from point A to point B on your legs without any other assistance.
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning That is so helpful. It made me think about what I read recently that one of the things that cause people problems can be overdoing it in working out. I read that one of the things that can put an instant stop to fat burning is having your heart rate elevated at the high end or above the aerobic range for too long and too consistently and then not having sufficient rests, causing cortisol to keep you burning glucose instead of fat. I had heard that for persons with adrenal function issues, that staying in the fat burning range is better than the cardio range, except for very short bursts with rest, like in HIIT training.

Maybe that is why I have seemed to do better with weight loss over the past couple of weeks focusing on steps walking more than on higher intensity cardio. I think I had been doing what Mark Sisson calls ¨chronic cardio¨ and that I actually feel better giving myself permission to slow down and try to get lots of slower movement all through the day instead of doing a hard workout at the gym and then be sedentary much of the day.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,802 Member
    Options
    Yeah but running gives you a lot more bang for the buck and is much more intensive cardio. ESP when you are time limited. So I can run 10K in an hour or I could walk it in 2 hrs plus I suppose. Same calories but I also think that the energy you get from running carries over for several hours vs something less strenuous. Just my opinion.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited December 2021
    Options
    To follow up...walking is an incredible form of fat burning exercise that too many underutilize, in my personal opinion. It is a low impact fat burning aerobic exercise that requires significantly less recovery time, allowing you to safely do it every day, and maybe even multiple times/day. You can still overdo it, but that's going to be quite uncommon.

Unless you have a need to burn calories at the fastest possible rate, or have a specific desire to build upper end cardio, why not walk for cardio? There should be no shame whatsoever in it. And frankly, I enjoy good walks more than running in many ways. It does not produce that "high", but I get to enjoy the very rich and usually otherwise "missed" world of wonder around me. The relaxation from walking exceeds running, no doubt. And I would know the difference.

ETA: I still love running though. They are different and both good for different reasons. If your goal is just fat burning and you are just starting out, my recommendation is walking. If your goal is higher reaching fitness or to test yourself or prove you can achieve some things, you can change your life for the better with running (or other high end cardio).
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    Thanks for this Chris - as a person who can no longer run (fused left ankle) I really appreciate this post. I have been told that the speed doesn’t matter — the calories burned walking 10km are the same as running 10km and I honestly always wondered about this. Not sure about the caloric after burn as mentioned my @SummerSkier and that is something I will just have to live without if it is solely a benefit from running.

I have found ways to get my heart rate up with walking. My treadmill is fairly new to me and has been really important to my activity commitment as it is so 🥶🤬😱😨😰 cold here right now (windchill -50C (-58F) this morning). Be safe tomorrow in your travels @ashleycarole86 as I know you have the same.

My new Apple Watch asked me yesterday during my second treadmill walk to start tracking my “run”…. Personal confusion as that was a first experience with the new watch (and had never happened in my 10+ years of using a Fitbit). In the end, it resulted in the loss of some my 12,000+ steps as it all went “wonky” when I must have tapped “okay” in trying to get rid of the message (really must read the 142 page manual or at minimum seek out some quick YouTube videos). I was walking at quite a quick pace and using the incline feature off and on during this session while monitoring my heart rate. It insisted I was running not walking.

Water “jogging” was key for me for physio and for getting my heart rate up (when I could not swim laps due to the torque on my ankle: damage caused in the accident and how long it took for five separate surgeries to heal). I REALLY want to get back into the pool, but the only option in our climate is indoors until June, and that is not an option for me at in this stage of this pandemic.

All this to say — thanks @WhatMeRunning
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @jamcnewman that extra calorie burn is real, but not just for running. HIIT workouts also provide a lasting burn well beyond the duration of the workout and might be something available to you (perhaps water based in the better weather?). Outside of cardio a similar lasting burn also can be had from strength workouts (referred to as EPOC), the only reason those aren't always discussed for fans of huge calorie burns is because of how much lower of a total burn a traditional strength workout gives in comparison to cardio. HIIT strength workouts are an answer to that! (EPIC has some for example). They produce quite a lasting burn, but only once or maybe twice per week as this will put a wallop on your nervous system.

ETA: Realized I could clarify a bit after posting (in parentheses).
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    Thanks @WhatMeRunning — the better weather will come in May (or June as the last big snowstorm of the season is traditionally on Mother’s Day 😂😂😂).

I’ve got a core workout that I have been doing and it is such a good thing for me for balance and fall prevention right now. Getting tempted to try the Epic starter week and see how many I could do over time without too drastic a accessibility modification revamp. Onwards.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else ever tried the Reps to the Rhythm YouTube channel? I only JUST heard of it today.
    When I first did a general YT search, I thought it was all indoor step to the beat stuff, but when I went to the actual "channel" to see what was there - there were also short (10 - 12 - 15 minute) core or beginner dumbell or abs&arms workouts as well.

And his cat. You GOTTA love his cat

I will be diversifying my walk-alot intentional activity come January and will probably be starting with these.
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    @jamcnewman If you forget to manually start a walking (or running) workout on the Apple watch it will ask you if you are doing a workout. If you are you can say yes. It usually takes it a 4-5 minutes to notice that you are possibly doing a workout. It doesn't do it when I do EPIC though sadly because sometimes I forget to start it.

You'll likely get more active calories from a formal workout than not. But this isn't necessarily good if you're eating back exercise calories.

You may not know but the newest Apple watches can go in the pool. It has a little "water" setting that you can use which then spits out the water when you turn it off later. I used it in the pool this past summer and liked it because it really showed how much more I burned walking around in the water than walking at ground level. Water resistance is real. :o

I am another one that only walks albeit at a brisk pace ... I walk faster than most people. I'm always being asked to slow down by others. I can't run because of bad knees and don't actually enjoy it any case. I have looked into heart rate for women at my age and even getting above 100 is good enough for keeping me in reasonable health so I don't worry about it. My resting heart rate is in optimum range for my age.

Thanks for all of this @LazyBlondeChef — I logged my first workout (using the embedded “Workout” app but have downloaded Zones too and will give it a try as well). My watch is the SE and I’ve read all about how to prep for using it for lane swim. That little💧is so cool and can be used if walking or running in the rain too (so that droplets don’t simulate a screen touch).

I am a quick walker and always have been. The Workout app confirmed it to still be true 😂😂😂

Thanks again for your tips and help! Julie
  • DebyS137
    DebyS137 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Happy 2022... Some Banner options...

FEBRUARY

buz5jjucl62n.jpg

a828356rjeaz.jpg

MARCH

ysxna58ffqxc.jpg

eki8doe2ljhf.jpg

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    As always, THANK YOU SO MUCH Deby!! @DebyS137 These are beautiful - as usual!!! <3
  • DebyS137
    Options

Welcome & Thank You ~Glad to be able to help out for the Group~

we1sx0gg89nq.jpg

• DebyS137
    edited January 2022
    Options
    FEBRUARY....

l4is62r5c3ey.jpg

x0elihqwagjc.jpg