2022: Become a priority in your life - today is your opportunity to build the tomorrow you want.

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
edited December 2021 in Social Groups
Wishing everyone a wonderful year ahead filled with good health, laughter and new adventures!

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Just copying this over from last night! I thought you were ahead of me, but I think you're actually behind me - time zones are so confusing! Who thought of that great idea?

"Good luck, Suzy! Don't overdo it! Five days of cardio!! It seems like your doctor did think it was fine to go the lifestyle route, rather than medication, so that's encouraging. I was told I had to have the medication, so I had the easy way out in a way .... I'm sure it will be hard work but will be great to see your progress and motivating to have the goal of avoiding medication, I'm sure.
    I quite like the tracking feature and have used it for other thing like body fat % and waist circumference, but keep forgetting to put them in.
    My weight goes in automatically. The scales I use are Withings or Nokia (the branding seems to be mixed) Body Cardio scales. I got them because as well as body fat, bone, muscle, etc. they measure pulse wave velocity which seems to be an indicator of heart health. However, I've read that sometimes this is disabled, I think in certain regions, and as that was the particular feature I wanted, I don't think the cardio version would be worth it without it. Mine does actually measure it, and it has been reassuring. I remember they were a pain to set up but I'm glad I've got them now. The recordings are saved, so I can see charts for my body fat, etc., which is probably why I never get round to inputing it into MFP now.

I'll copy this over maybe if it gets lost in the move to the new thread. I can't remember when our respective New Years start, but mine is in a few hours, so Happy New Year all! "

Thanks for the new thread, Snoozie, and the New Year wishes! Wishing health and happiness for you all.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Thanks for bringing your post over to our new thread Vail - I am bringing Suzy's post here too as it relates to our new plans too, and your response is in relation to her postL

Posted by Suzy -
    It’s funny how when we start a new discussion topic at the beginning of the year I feel like it’s a whole new start and anything is possible.

New Years Eve workout is done! I did it! I’m making myself a priority! I managed to do thirty minutes (in ten minutes blocks) on the elliptical and two sets (in between elliptical blocks) of arm weight exercises. Then some really good stretches. It feels great to have accomplished all that! They have installed partitions between all the machines and it wasn’t very crowded. They’re open tomorrow and I’m wondering if it will be packed.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy.. so proud of you for going to the gym yesterday, and huge congrats on accomplishing so much!! Most important, I was so happy to read that it felt great!!! Well done Suzy.. well done indeed!

Vail - you are about 4 hours AHEAD of Suzy and I time wise.. and the only reason i know that is because i have a relative in the UK lol.. if it makes you feel any better... even within my own country, all my relatives are in different time zones from me.. some are ahead by an hour, others behind by 4 hrs.. lol I once inadvertently video called my aunt at 2am her time! oops!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    So in keeping with our 2022 themes we set for ourselves - to remember that today is our opportunity to build the tomorrow we want, and to make ourselves a priority in our lives.. I read some very interesting (to me) tips on how to actually start making ourselves a priority.. so I thought i'd share them. The last one made me think of you Suzy - knowing how much you like your hikes and mountain climbs (even tho its not meant to literally climb a mountain, i thought yup you could have one of those big days doing that lol)

"Making yourself a priority will look different for everyone. Here are some easy ideas to slot into your everyday life:

1. Change your mindset
    If you are going to have a hope in meeting your own needs, you are going to need to change your mindset. Decide that you deserve some time for you each day. Stop feeling guilty for taking that time and start getting clear that it is the best thing for everyone.

2. Say no to someone or something
    Do it gently, but firmly. You will probably find it’s not as hard or uncomfortable as you think it is. Consider the fact that every time you say ‘yes’ to this same thing, you are saying ‘no’ to yourself. Once you get into the habit of doing this where you need to, you will wonder why it took you so long to start!

3. Say yes to yourself
    Say yes to something that you have been saying no to for too long. A new hobby, a catch up with friends, time to read your book. You will know what that thing is…

4. Schedule your needs first
    It doesn’t need to be a large block of your day (although it could be). Schedule in at least 15 minutes each day just for you. If meeting your base needs (such as lunch, water breaks, sleep) is a problem for you, schedule these too. Scheduling you first supports you to establish the habits that ensure you are not the one bumped off the bottom of your priority list.

5. Adjust your expectations
    If you find you are running on low, your brain feels foggy, and you are having trouble making decisions, try and adjust your expectations on yourself. Remind yourself that this is necessary, but temporary. And understand that if you continue as you are, the struggle will too.

6. Strike at least one thing off your list
    Find at least one thing that you can take off your to-do list each day. To do lists are a wonderful way of being organised, but I have yet to meet a person whose to-do list is not an ever growing monster. Fiona Hall ‘The How To Lady’ uses the term ‘radically under schedule’. It is incredibly difficult to accurately schedule even on a good day. Give yourself some breathing room and the best possible chance of planning realistically.

7. Identify your time wasters
    Take a look at your day to day and identify the things that take up time with little to no return. Excess time on facebook, daily supermarket runs rather than weekly, answering emails first thing in the morning. Make a decision to limit the time wasters, and use this new found time for YOU.

8. Create a daily ritual
    Create a daily ritual of something that you love. This could be taking a walk, listening to music, starting your day journaling, drinking your morning coffee in the sun with a good book. Something that you look forward to, and gives you 15-20 minutes where you need it in your day.

9. Embrace imperfect action
    Understand that sometimes done is better than perfect. By allowing yourself to take imperfect action you can shift your focus to the most important place it needs to be. This does not mean that you cannot do things well. Just acknowledge that there are times that your time and energy is better saved for elsewhere. Namely, you!

10. Remember the benefit that comes from the action
    If you want more time to read, opportunities to catch up with friends, a chance to try a new hobby, go to the gym, but find you are struggling to find time for it – identify the benefit that comes from the action. If you have more time to read, what will that do for you? When you have an opportunity to catch up with friends, how do you feel? What is the impact on the rest of your day (or week) when you get to try that new thing? Focus on the benefit and you will find it easier to find the time.

11. Ask for help
    If you are not making yourself and your needs a priority, then no one else can either. Identify an area that you could use support, and ask for help. The truth is, most people actually love being able to help, they just don’t know what to do. Give them some direction and genuine appreciation and chances are they will jump at the chance.

12, Commit to one memorable day per month
    On the larger scale of commitment to yourself, here’s a wonderful idea shared by Bruce Grierson on Psychology Today:

He made a commitment to give himself one memorable day per month. His ‘Big Day’. The point is that this day is more than to-do lists, and days whittled away by tedious odd jobs pulling you in different directions. The only rule that the day must be about only one thing. One mission, one experience, one focus. As he describes it “the goal is to build a mountain I can get up and down in 24 hours. This isn’t a
    literal mountain (although it could be), it is a self-imposed break where you immerse yourself in one thing that feeds you and is free from obligation.

Whatever ways you decide to make yourself a priority, remember this: it shouldn’t feel like work. Often adjusting your mindset, changing your habits, and making change can feel hard. And that’s okay. But it should not feel heavy or add to your stress. It should provide relief, promise, and a feeling of hope. When you glance through the list above or think about other ideas you have or have been shared with you, take note of the ones that resonate with you, that intuitively speak to you. Ask yourself why they stood out, and how they might fit into your unique life and needs.

What one action will you take to start making yourself more of a priority?

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

Great tips! I especially liked:
    #3, say yes to yourself because I always tell myself that my hobby of painting has to wait until I get caught up on other things. Why? That doesn’t make sense. I enjoy it so I should do it.
    #7 watching tv is definitely my time waster. I have a terrible habit of watching tv first thing in the morning while I eat breakfast. Then I get caught up in a show and end up watching for a couple hours or more! It’s such a waste of my day.
    #10 Remember the benefit that comes from the action!!! Yes!!! This!!! I need to remember that going to the gym will pay off in so many ways..stress, strength, endurance, health, lower numbers all around!
    #12 I love the idea of one memorable day each month! I’m going to work on that one.

I went to the gym again today! We’re planning on going tomorrow, as well. Going from zero days a week to five is going to be challenging.

Vail, you said your recordings are saved with your scale. I’m assuming there’s an app for your phone or computer? I’m going to check that out. I like that idea and I feel like if your weight is automatically uploaded to MFP each time you weigh then it keeps you a bit more honest. Lol. No waiting to update your weight until you lose a pound or two.

• Vailara
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, Snoozie! These are really great, although so many - I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed! The timewasters one is really great, though. My worst thing is that I can go on the internet and then spend ages just looking things up and reading bits and pieces of things. Sometimes it's useful, but mostly not.

I also spend a ridiculous amount of time making decisions, honestly, to the extent I really think it's a problem for me, as there are so many decisions to be made throughout the day. It has been such a relief to stop shopping in supermarkets during the pandemic as there are far too many choices there. And I know people will tell me to just make a list. But even with a list, there are decisions about which item to buy when you get there (is this one cheaper, is this one better? Will I be able to use all of that? Which has a longer expiry date? Is that one organic? What are the calories? Which do I like the look of? Have I changed my mind about what I want to cook? I could go on for ever. For instance, I'll go to buy some greek yoghurt, and I'll read all the cartons to see what the protein content is, and what's been added, etc. Lettuce - do I want romaine, iceberg, little gem, etc.? Which one do I like best? I don't know! I could literally spend hours in a supermarket doing a small shop.) And it's like that for every single purchase. And there's also the fact that actually making a list takes a long time because of all the decisions. Anyway, a long way to describe that this is one of my big time wasters, not just with shopping but with absolutely everything!

So this is a good reminder to me to try to stop spending time on those things!

I do like number 12. What an interesting idea.

Suzy, my scales are connected to my wifi. There is an app and a website but it's all synced with MFP so I haven't had to actually do anything with the app since setting it up, and it didn't make any difference when I changed phones and didn't have the app on it. I do occasionally look at the app or website though because it automatically tracks other things for me.

One thing it doesn't do is count as a login for MFP, though, so if you don't manually go on the MFP app or website it doesn't count as a login day even if your weight has been added (I've had to reset my streak a few times because of that).

• Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - i can TOTALLY relate to your decision making dilemna.. honestly i was exactly the same for a very long time... i cant say in my case it involved food at all.. but absolutely everything else.. i could not make a decision to save my life .. should i buy these shoes?? that shirt? that pillow? those slippers? that placemat?? i swear even at the dollar store i would agonize over which cutting board.. i would go shopping and come home with nothing because i spent so much time trying to decide should i get this? it was honestly a problem...even picking something off a menu took me forever.. even my friends noticed how often i couldn't decide on something.. so i decided enough already.. and now i use a "will this matter" process to make a quick decision... as in "will this matter in my life one year from now?" if the answer is no.. i make a very quick decision and buy or move on.. it may sound silly but it's actually worked well for me. Like the flooring for my condo.. i can't make a decision between the carpeting i really want (because its much more comfy) or the hardwood everyone else is telling me to have put in for "resale" value. Thats something that WILL affect my life in a year.. and 5 yrs lol.. so i'm still struggling with that one. But for the most part, everything else.. as soon as i find myself "dithering" (that's my word for it.. i stop and say ok.. will this affect me in a year? and if its no honestly i can make a snap decision right away now because it just isn't that important anymore.

But know that i can totally understand what you're dealing with.. believe me!!!!

I found a much more "fun" low impact cardio video to do and i made it thru the full 34 minutes.. admittedly it is a bit easier than the first one i did.. but more importantly it was more fun..not just endlessly marching in place! But it definitely gave me a senses of accomplishment being able tofinish it, because around 28 min i was ready to pack it in lol.. but pushed myself to finish the last 7 min. I will continue to do that one til I can fly thru it then move on. I also managed a 30 min walk - so i was happy with my movement for yesterday.

The suggestions for how to make yourself a priority in your life are just that.. only ideas.. just some thoughts to help make you come first as it were... and nothing in there might click for some at all..
    and thats just fine..

for me, #1, 5 and 10 really resonated for me.. i know i waste some time online.. playing some games and catching up on FB posts .. but I have cut down a lot on that. i still enjoy my early morning time on it while i have my coffee... and thats not likely to change.. and im ok with that :smile:

• Snooozie
    Options
    Just in case anybody needs a laugh I thought I would share photos from this morning - all of us shovelling snow off the pickle ball courts ! Prize if you can find me lol oqkh132jjzab.jpeg
    upo5a62jum1p.jpeg
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Lol!!!! I’m going to go out on a limb and say that you’re the one who is wearing a coat. I can’t believe you are all so dedicated that you have to shovel snow off the court to play. That’s commitment! I was outside in shorts yesterday cleaning our bbq grill!

We didn’t make it to the gym today. We’re both pretty sore so we took a day off.

I made pizza last night with cauliflower crust that I bought. I was pleasantly surprised! It was pretty good. I didn’t even miss the bread. Also, I slept better last night than anytime I can remember. Maybe a combination of giving up Diet Coke and sugar and exercising? It was awesome! I think I slept for five whole hours without waking up then for another two!

I have trouble making decisions at the weirdest times. I can make a quick decision on buying a dining table but then agonize over something as inconsequential as which cereal to buy. It comes and goes for me. I do try and ask myself if it’s really something worth agonizing over and sometimes that helps.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hahaha Suzy.... you win giggle snort..

Shorts ?? you were wearing shorts yesterday?? I'm heading for your place !! We're not too bad here yet winter wise.. its pretty cold at -13C right now.. but parts of our country are hitting -35C out west so i'm not going to complain.. much! I just keep repeating in my head... spring is only 11 weeks away...

This morning surprisingly i actually found myself saying in my head.. what am i going to do today to build the tomorrow i want? I swear i did.. i was standing at the coffee pot and it just popped into my head (I haven't figured out the answer yet. i'll wait til I finish my coffee - but for sure it will be an indoor exercise option! I made a shepherds pie yesterday with a ton of veggies, but i left off the mashed potato topping so i could freeze a few portions. I think i will make up some frozen squash and spread that on top of the portion i left out for dinner tonite - not the traditional potato but i do love squash and it will add yet another veggie to the mix :)

Suzy im so glad your experience with the cauli crust was positive! and even better was the awesome sleep !! These days that's a total win in my world lol - so very happy for you!

• suzyqholland
    Options
    I have to admit, the warm weather has been very unusual for us. It’s 35 right now with a high of 55 today. Still not that bad compared to what you’ve already had up there.

I had my daughter and family over for dinner last night. I found a box mix of cheddar bay biscuits that was gluten free. I didn’t tell them though. Everyone loved them so it will remain my little secret. Lol.

I’m trying to talk myself into going to the gym. Reading your post about thinking about what you’re going to do today for the tomorrow you want has motivated me. They aren’t just words, they’re a mindset I’m trying not to be despondent over weighing a pound heavier today. I need to start logging again.

I’m glad you found a video you enjoy. Hopefully you’ll find a couple more so you can switch it up. I’m so impressed that you do the videos. I really can’t get into doing that. Good for you!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Score on the biscuits Suzy... no need to share with them nope lol!

Did you make it to the gym?? and im impressed with you going back to the gym... i have TWO gyms in my own building and i still can't bring myself to go!! And just to be clear.. i don't love the videos lol.. but we're back into stage 2 where all restauarnts are closed; retail and personal care at 50% yada yada yada.. and its freaken cold LOL.. but i did drag myself out for a walk this afternoon.. I was tricked by the sun pouring into my condo... i face southwest so luckily i get the sunshine from morning to nite in my sunroom and living room... so i was standing at the open window in the sun thinking it can't be as cold out as they say.. so i bundled up and went out.... tricked by the sunshine again it was SO COLD lol.. i only lasted 20 minutes before i thot my nose wasgoing to fall off from frostbite.. i might keep a cloth mask in my pocket just for warmth from now on!

Suzy in the past week i've been down 1 up 2 down 2 up 3.. blah blah blah.. then this morning was down a smidge below my last weigh in.. so hang in there .. consistency will overcome and i bet by the end of the month you'll see a couple of pounds gone!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I managed to do the video just now all the way through again.. and did a 20 min stretch one she has (cause its all standing no floor thank god lol).. so i'm happy i did something today to build the tomorrow i want :)
  • Vailara
    Options
    I did two lots of exercise videos (resistance and yoga) and went for a very short walk. I also did some decluttering, and general sorting and cleaning for the tomorrow I want! Weight was up a bit this morning but I do fluctuate quite a lot so I'm not worried. I've lost 5lb in the week I've been doing this diet, so that's helping to get me to the bottom of my set point (although I know it's just that initial water weight!), then it will get harder work I'm sure.

It looks like we are all doing pretty well. Shovelling snow is such hard work! Your cooking sounds delicious and healthy, Snoozie and it's fantastic that you are sleeping better. Getting a good night's sleep changes everything!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Wow Vail - you totally took EVERY opportunity to build the tomorrow you want - holy cow! Resistance, yoga and a walk - and all the sorting and decluttering.. well done YOU! and awesome that your getting down to your "set weight" low.. and i know with your continued hard work you'll be able to break thru that number and start to convince your body to move from where its comfy!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I did go to the gym today! I’m so glad I made the time and made myself a priority!

It was so cold here today and I know it was even colder where you are, Snoozie. There’s no way I could have gone walking outside. Good for you! I can’t believe they’ve closed restaurants. Wow. People here don’t even wear masks.

Great job, Vail! Exercising and decluttering? That’s awesome!

Sounds like we’re all off to a wonderful start for 2022! Go us!!!

Tomorrow I’m spending the whole day taking my dad to the veterans hospital for his audiology appointment. It’s over an hour to his apartment, and hour to the VA, wait for his appointment then an hour back and over an hour home for me. His appointment is at 9:15. I have to leave my house by 6:45 in case of traffic. It’s Atlanta, there’s always traffic..which will increase all those travel times. Ugh. I’m really not looking forward to this. Plus it’s supposed to be 30 degrees in the morning.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy !!! WAY TO GO on getting to the gym!! Especially because you mentioned you were going to have to talk yourself into going today... so total kudos to you!!

I really liked Vail's comments too.. about the decluttering and sorting and stuff being part of her taking the opportunity to build the tomorrow she wants - it was a good reminder that building that tomorrow isn't at all just about our weight loss goals or exercise goals... it's taking any opportunity ..to build that tomorrow we want... for reading more, painting more, making time for friends, making time for OURSELVES... decluttering... trying something new... i may print out those tips and hang them on my fridge to remind myself of that!!

Wowsa Suzy.. that's a very long day for you indeed.. !!! I was trying to think of some way you could make it a bit entertaining for both of you for the drive... and appointment wait.. i dunno.. maybe you could ask him if he knows how HIS parents met?? (unless you already know?) or what's his favourite book of all time? I find sometimes with people his age weird questions can start some interesting conversations - but to be honest, its usually easier to do that with strangers than someone who's your dad! Safe travels and fingers crossed the traffic will be light for a change!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Just made it home. I left nine hours ago. It’s like a job. Lol. Everything went well and traffic was miraculously light!!!

The big news is that even though I haven’t really lost any significant weight, I was able to wear a pair of jeans that were uncomfortably tight a couple months ago! I need to take measurements and put them in my progress trackers on MFP. I was pleasantly surprised!!

Good point that all our goals do not have to be related to our weight and health. I still haven’t written mine up but I’m going to try and have a good balance. I need to do that and print our new thread title to put on my fridge.
  • Vailara
    Options
    Wow, a full day's work for just one appointment! A good thing the traffic was light! But frustrating when you have so much travelling as you have to plan in case it's heavy. Your dad is so lucky to have you to take him to appointments.
    That's amazing that your jeans fit! I think clothes can be quite a good indicator. Unless they shrink in the wash, lol!
    Actually one of the things that is motivating me is that I've started buying a size up in clothes. I'm getting too comfortable with being bigger. That's exactly what happened on my way up the first time I put on a large amount of weight. I just bought the next size of clothes up and didn't really think about it. Actually it's probably as good a warning as any if you're not fitting into your usual clothes. And also as good an indicator that you're doing well if you can fit in to ones that were tight!
    Talking of clothes sizes, I've just had a look at this https://sizes.darkgreener.com/ I think I might have posted it here before. You can find out the advertised clothes sizes for different brands, as they vary so much. Anyway, that's an eye opener because I haven't just gone up one size, I've gone up two with some brands. Maybe it's because of the body recomposition. Honestly, I was shopping the other day, trying on the bigger size, and then getting annoyed that the shop was obviously making them too small - no, it's me who has got too fat! Two sizes fatter instead of one! Maybe even three! That is really quite a revelation.
    I think I have been in denial about the fact that I don't fit into most of my clothes!
    Yesterday's exercise was not so good. I got chest pain and had to stop. It was HIIT and I think the intensity part is maybe too much so I might have to find a substitute for that. I was working yesterday after a break and had also forgotten how tiring working is! But I managed to cook a delicious but tiny meal in the evening so that's something.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - i don't remember you posting that link before... but i actually took out a tape measure and took my measurements (that was NOT fun ty).. and when i plugged in the numbers, it said i varied from size 11 to size 16 !! Now the only shop on that list we have here in Canada is Banana Republic lol.. but I think i've mentioned here before I have pants that go from 12-16 already.. and ALL of them fit.. sizing is so different from store to store for sure it can be totally disheartening. i also have tops that go from medium to XL .. some of the XL are tighter than the medium! It makes it very hard and very depressing sometimes to shop so I don't think we should pick a particular "size" and determine thats what we are because its just too different all over..

I know there are certain brands here.. we have a store called Giant Tiger.. and everything in there fits small... I know going in to look for XL in bottoms and same in tops because everything is a very small fit. At least with the clothes i have now, I can put something on and judge by it how i'm doing.. and to be honest with all the lockdowns we've had here and now again being indoors a lot in winter... i'm still basically wearing yoga pants or sweats at home most of the time again still lol... which can be dangerous cause it's the "grown up pants (i.e. those with zippers and buttons!" that are the true gauge for me ha..

So my gut has improved a little bit lately.. which is a relief.. BUT.. i have noticed that as a result, i am eating a lot more now that i can... I was eating so little while it was horrible.. literally just tiny dessert plate size portions.. but at christmas i ate a huge meal... and ever since then... last night i made chicken and a bunch of veggies.. carrots, broccoli, cauliflower.. but it was a big medium sized chicken breast... and i ate it all... like a full size dinner plate... then i had a brownie i had in the freezer with a scoop of ice cream on top...!! i actually felt a bit sick after.. no doubt because my tummy just isnt used to so much food at one time.. but i'd say since Christmas dinner i have been eating a LOT more.. its almost like omg i can eat now so i will eat everything in sight! so im going to have to put the brakes on that.. its good that i can eat more for sure.. because nutritionally i was basically living on cup o soup and crackers which is NOT good. But I need to really look at portion sizes now - you would think the reminder of feeing slighty ill afterwards would be enough .. so for dinner tonite i have a small piece of salmon i will do up with the leftover veggies from last nite, at least it will be a smaller amount all around, and i took out a real home made veggie soup from the freezer and that will do for lunch...

Vail.. that would have been so scary during the HIT workout omg... i won't do any HIT at all because my cardio level is so low right now i'd be afraid the overload from HIT would not be good for my heart.. i can still barely make it thru that 30 min low impact cardio workout online i started doing right now! i hope you are able to find something that works for you without giving you scary pain !! Hugs!!