Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 4

Options
1151617181921»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I am doing well. Keto suits me, although I have some blood work I need to schedule, and I expect that my doctor will not be happy with my cholesterol levels. Who knows, I might be one of those people whose LDL is at what is typically considered a good level while on Keto.

My triglycerides were going down on Keto and HDL was up but LDL didn't change, if LDL goes up I'm gonna have her test it to see if it's the large, buoyant LDL that is mainly coronary-neutral or the small, dense LDL which are the bad ones. But overall everything else is so good, I'm gonna try not to worry too much.

More and more I am finding that the whole concern about LDL levels may be overblown. Its correlation with Heart Attack seems tentative at best, while things like cardio-vascular inflammation often caused by high blood glucose and insulin resistance seems like a much better predictor. The ratio that I find often mentioned is that between HDL and Triglycerides. I stopped my statin a month or so before starting Keto, and a lot of issues I was having went away (muscle soreness and brain fog in particular), and I am not willing to go back on statins for the less than 2% decrease in risk of a heart attack or stroke they give or the 1-3 days of extra life expectancy they offer, especially since shortly after I stopped them my HbA1C came back as entering the pre-diabetic range which is another know side effect of statin drugs.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am doing well. Keto suits me, although I have some blood work I need to schedule, and I expect that my doctor will not be happy with my cholesterol levels. Who knows, I might be one of those people whose LDL is at what is typically considered a good level while on Keto.

My triglycerides were going down on Keto and HDL was up but LDL didn't change, if LDL goes up I'm gonna have her test it to see if it's the large, buoyant LDL that is mainly coronary-neutral or the small, dense LDL which are the bad ones. But overall everything else is so good, I'm gonna try not to worry too much.

More and more I am finding that the whole concern about LDL levels may be overblown. Its correlation with Heart Attack seems tentative at best, while things like cardio-vascular inflammation often caused by high blood glucose and insulin resistance seems like a much better predictor. The ratio that I find often mentioned is that between HDL and Triglycerides. I stopped my statin a month or so before starting Keto, and a lot of issues I was having went away (muscle soreness and brain fog in particular), and I am not willing to go back on statins for the less than 2% decrease in risk of a heart attack or stroke they give or the 1-3 days of extra life expectancy they offer, especially since shortly after I stopped them my HbA1C came back as entering the pre-diabetic range which is another know side effect of statin drugs.

Me too; they started me on statins when my cholesterol was normal "as a precaution" because of diabetes and being morbidly overweight. I been on them for years, my cholesterol went up on them lol.

I stopped taking it when I started low-carbing because I learned what you said-- they are only like 1-2% effective and the one I was on actually makes it more difficult to lose weight.

The more research I do on cholesterol the more screwed up it all sounds. They seemed to have started with a bad premise and flawed research, and all the recommendations got built on that. Anything that seemed to contradict that general narrative was ignored. On top of the fact that we don't actually know how much it affects coronary health, half the people who have heart attacks don't even have high cholesterol! It's crazy.
  • 66keto
    66keto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi all. back on keto this week after a few months break due to health .i have planned and tracked and the results on the scales this week are a 6lb loss very happy with that . now for another good week.
    Hope you are all having a good week.
  • 66keto
    Options

Same here had the blood tests and i have hi cholesterol im waiting for a doctors app to discuss it . i'm hoping the keto diet will help.
  • 66keto
    Options
    We need to revive this group and this thread.

Lets revive it .... i have made a start
  • 66keto
    Options
    Where is everyone from .... England .
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    66keto wrote: »
    Where is everyone from .... England .

I am one of those disgruntled colonists in America.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Canada
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    USA
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Happy Thanksgiving! Just checking in. Starting up again after quite a while and in dire need of the keto feel good life.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Hi all. Happy Thanksgiving! Just checking in. Starting up again after quite a while and in dire need of the keto feel good life.

Welcome back, and happy American Thanksgiving. Canada had ours back in the beginning of October.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Very happy with my latest blood work. Triglycerides down to .79 mmol/L from 2.55 mmol/L which is a huge change in 7 months. HbA1C is down from 6.3 pre-diabetic to 5.2 normal. I am sure I will get some flak from my family doctor because the cholesterol is up, but my triglyceride/HDL ratio is really good and I am down more than 80 pounds and feel better than I ever did while on a statin.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    🙌🥳