This February I Will....

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited February 2022 in Social Groups
6wk2owkrbfyw.jpg

Got a question for you. Who are you, really? 😀 If you were to describe yourself, what descriptors would you use? Many of us describe ourselves by the roles we have in life, how we spend our time, and what’s most important to us. These key descriptors become part of our identity: how we see ourselves and often how others see us.

Many of the descriptors we use have actions behind them. If you’d describe yourself as a good cook, chances are you got that way by practicing the art of cooking, developing your culinary chops meal after meal and month after month. Maddie and I are both walkers, and that identity stems from many years of walking.

Our actions matter because they reinforce our identity. And we can use this powerful relationship in building new habits and changing how we see ourselves. We can use new actions to build a new identity. As James Clear says, “ Decide what kind of person you want to be and then prove it to yourself with small wins.” If you decide, “ I am someone who eats a healthy diet”, what are some small actions you can take daily to reinforce that identity?

Identity based habits are strong and durable. For that reason, we encourage you to select a goal in February that either strengthens an identity you’ve been working on already or is something new that could be the foundation for a healthier, more helpful view of yourself. We can always change and build a better life for ourselves! Once established, identity based habits tend to run on autopilot. I never have to remind myself to walk. I don’t need motivation, nor a cue anymore. Walking is what I do because it’s who I am. Whatever habit you choose to work on in February, please tie it to a larger goal & identity shift you want to make for yourself. Then please share it with us!

Let's make it a great month!

🌷Denise & 🌸Maddie
@themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

Additional Resources:
Identity-Based Habits: How to Actually Stick to Your Goals This Year
QuickStart Guide to Identity-Based Habits

New to Our Group and Habit Building?
Please read our Newcomer's Guide and our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building. They will help make your habit stick!

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    The process in the James Clear article is almost identical to the 4 step Goal-setting process that I have used for over since before I joined MFP. It was what set me on the path to where I am today.

In Dec 2014 I received it in an email from the author of ‘My Writing Coach’ Jurgen Wolfe, a book I bought, and put it into practice. It was life changing for me. I had joined mfp, but hadn’t been using it.

I’ll look it up and post it.

• TerriRichardson112
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Ran out of editing time 😂

I have been consciously working on who, and what I am for several decades. I have used many processes, and I learnt something from each one.

The process in the James Clear article is almost identical to the 4 step Goal-setting process that I have used for just over seven years. It led me to start using MFP, and was what set me on the path to where I am today.

In Dec 2014 I received it in an email from the author of ‘My Writing Coach’ Jurgen Wolfe, a book I bought, and put it into practice. It was life changing for me. I had joined MFP, but hadn’t started using it.

I’ll look it up and post it.

Who am I?
    #tongueincheek
    No false modesty from me. You need to love yourself before you can show love to others. I spent many years slaying the demons of childhood.

🔹 I am a unique and complex individual.

🔹 I am a positive person who aims to learn from whatever comes my way. This stems from my Beloved Nana, who taught me to look for the good in everything. No matter what happened, she would find some positive slant to help her deal with whatever fate sent her way.
    🔹Like everyone on this earth, I am a miracle in progress. Each day that I am given, I strive to be better than I was yesterday.
    🔹I am determined. This means that when I set my mind to do something, I usually finish it.
    🔹 I am very focused, and centred. This has helped me to finally develop many new habits over the last 7 years to foster my desire to be fit and healthy physically, mentally, and spiritually.
    🔹 I am intelligent, analytical, and organised.
    🔹I am creative, and passionate. I love to draw, paint, write, cook, garden …. and I am blessed that I have the time to do whatever I choose to do.
    🔹 I am responsible for my thoughts words and actions. I try to make informed choices. I choose to see everything as an opportunity to learn from my experiences, good bad or ugly.

Learn to love yourself. You deserve it.

It’s worth the effort

• TerriRichardson112
    edited February 2022
    Options
    🌱🪴🌟🪴🌱🌟🌱🪴🌟🪴🌱
    🌱BUILDING HEALTHY HABITS🪴🌱
    🪴🌱 🌟FEBRUARY 2022 🌟🌱🪴
    🌱🪴🌟🪴🌱🌟🌱🪴🌟🪴🌱
    My word for 2022: CONSOLIDATE
    I am planning to work on consolidating the habits I have already developed.
    In February I will extend my January Flexibility habit from 10 to 15 minutes.

In February, after I do my 1st workout of the day
    …I will do > 15 minutes of flex exercises. (Yoga/Tai Chi/Pilates etc)
    Instant Reward: draw a star on my tracker.
    Long term reward: 3 sheets of birthday peel-offs if I complete the month.
    Extra reward: finding it easier to lace up my shoes/trainers 😂
    (I love to see those squares fill up 😂)
    🧘🏼‍♀️

Also working on previous habits
    Solid Daily Habits: 1/31

Flexibility is slower to develop than other other aspects of fitness, so I have decided to build it up over time.

🦄 Terri
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,608 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I am a determined individual who is vocal about my thoughts. My job has taught me to be direct but yet tactful but I am clear about my expectations. Because of this I set challenges to myself each month sometimes I don’t accomplish them so I try again. This month I want to accomplish at least 11,000 steps a day. I want to row during the week for a minimum of 15 minutes each time and increase my resistance this will help prepare for kayak season. I also want to increase my spinning to be ready for mt bike season.

Curious and healthy I read as much as I can as one is never to old to learn (guess 58’s not too old 😂) I would like to eat more WFPB as I think it may help my OA. This month I would like to try to incorporate a meal in this group once or twice during the week maybe lunches vs dinner. Kate
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    🌱🪴🌟🪴🌱🌟🌱🪴🌟🪴🌱
    🌱BUILDING HEALTHY HABITS🪴🌱
    🪴🌱 🌟FEBRUARY 2022 🌟🌱🪴
    🌱🪴🌟🪴🌱🌟🌱🪴🌟🪴🌱
    My word for 2022: CONSOLIDATE
    I am planning to work on consolidating the habits I have already developed.
    In February I will extend my January Flexibility habit from 10 to 15 minutes.

In February, after I do my 1st workout of the day
    …I will do > 15 minutes of flex exercises. (Yoga/Tai Chi/Pilates etc)
    Instant Reward: draw a star on my tracker.
    Long term reward: 3 sheets of birthday peel-offs if I complete the month.
    Extra reward: finding it easier to lace up my shoes/trainers 😂
    (I love to see those squares fill up 😂)
    🧘🏼‍♀️🧘🏼‍♀️

Also working on previous habits
    Solid Daily Habits: 2/31

Flexibility is slower to develop than other other aspects of fitness, so I have decided to build it up over time.

🦄 Terri

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,033 Member
    Options
    Thanks Terri! Terrific approach, which I know you still use today!!

Basically I did the same
    , but each week decided on the new focus! (Noom instilled this in me!)

I still do this now♥️
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Thanks Terri! Terrific approach, which I know you still use today!!

Basically I did the same
    , but each week decided on the new focus! (Noom instilled this in me!)

I still do this now♥️

Self-development was always high on my personal agenda. I have done weekly, monthly, annual, and 5 year reviews of goals for most of my adult life. I constantly tweak my methods to optimise achieving what I want.

One of my tweaks was to re-imagine ‘goals’ as ‘habits’.

I have been reading through my many notebooks over the last week. They make interesting reading, and provide a wealth of personal data.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited February 2022
    Options
    yp1u2zs69ivz.jpeg

My answers From the work sheet in post at top:

1. I want to become a person who handles rough situations & people effectively, but without the draining worry & reworking over & over in my mind.

2. Become a person who goes through life confidently making decisions effectively & efficiently and focuses on people & projects that are important to them.

A. I will shorten calls with those I feel drained afterwards & pursue my interests & happy life.
    (Reuse of my time)

B. I will nurture friendships with folks who are uplifting & pursuing their passions. (Redefining my friendships to align better)

C. I will write down my areas of strength & read them each morning & night.
    (Reminding myself I AM the person I wished to become; I just haven’t recognized it fully yet.)

D. I will read a book or watch documentaries on a daily basis.
    (More interesting things to think & talk about - keeps mind busy with “other stuff”)

E. I will keep a Prioritized To Do List as I did before I retired & review each morning & night. (Get things done; more effective. More sense of accomplishment/feeling on top of things.)

@themedalist
    You have changed my life with this post❣️

Adjusting to a sudden retirement due to illness (ie not my choice) has been a drastic change. At times, I feel like a racehorse who is now out to pasture. Not anymore!

On January 20th, after decades & tons of exploration, making, learning, reflection, I invented a daily art practice/ longterm project for myself that continues to evolve in really fascinating ways.

I’m now shifting my life to be That Person, the Creative Artist who has a style, a color palette, an approach! A PAssion & Purpose. It’s been a fascinating process - when I’d almost given up - Boom!

The Most fascinating part is now that I came up with it…I see all these signs - since childhood - that should have made it obvious LOL (a la the famous Steve Jobs quote)

Thank you SO MUCH
    💕
    Maddie

My Feb I Will:
    ___ shorten calls/online posting times (as needed)
    My time is valuable.

___ be in touch with fun & enlivening friend/family member 5 times a week.
    I am a caring friend/family member.

___ read My Strength List AM PM
    I have lots to offer

___ 5min minimum Read/Watch Documentary
    I am interesting

___ To Do list AM PM
    I am effective

I had begun all of these already, I now realize. Good.

They will help with the worrying/loss of time.

But WAIT I don’t address the worrying itself hahaha
    I also need:
    If I catch myself worrying, I will firmly tell myself “I am a person who doesn’t worry.”
    Do a 4-5-7 breathing and move on!

Bingo!

This will likely evolve more, but I find the
    Most impactful part of this whole habit deal
    Is really figuring out what we need. In this case, the identity I want NOW at this stage in my life.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,608 Member
    Options
    I also use a layout of the store when I shop I include a column labeled “NO” so if it’s not needed I don’t purchase it works !
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,410 Member
    Options
    My Word For the Year is Diversify
    I am diversifying my style of activity from "nothing but cardio" to include Functional Strength (flexibility will come later in the year)
    I am diversifying my style of non-active hobbies to more than tablet-based, and including "abandoned" handwork projects. The beginner crewel work picture is the first. It was SUPPOSED to be a present for a very needle-crafty BFF.
    🙈 = didn't do
    Last month - comparing home tracker with reporting here - the only thing I wasn't ALSO consistent on was the ear-wax clearing started around mid-month. Hoping that reporting here makes it stick better. And I have to get past an initial "just show up!" mental block on the crewel-work stitching.

Feb 2&3
    Functional strong senior (17+) aiming for 5 or 6 /wk - an [n] rest day doesn't count towards the 17+ but is NOT a 🙈 :
    🥊🥊🥊
    Crafter (25+): (did last bit of diamond painting today ♊- start progress on beginner crewel work tomorrow 🧵)
    ♊🙈🧵 (got past The First Thread today YAY ME!!! ... now for my scheduled Dark Barkthin with pretzle bits snack as a reward!)
    Self Care / nose spray daily (25+) :
    🐽🐽🐽
    Self Care / ear drops (daily till block clears, then weekly so 25+ to start):
    👂👂👂

The stitching project says "Stitch your Dreams" Working up to the idea of posting beginning-of-the-month photo of it along with package picture of what the finished item is supposed to look like ....

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Feb 3
    ✅ shorten calls/online posting times (as needed)
    My time is valuable.

✅ be in touch with fun & enlivening friend/family member 5 times a week.
    I am a caring friend/family member.

✅ If I catch myself worrying, I will firmly tell myself “I am a person who doesn’t worry.” And take deep breath in & slowly blow out.

✅ Create/work on/develop my Art project at least 5minutes per day.
    I am an artist & I always have been.

✅ tracked to the gram
    ✅ steps
    ✅ sat fat
    ✅ sodium
    ✅ protein
    ✅ freggies