Downsizers Team Chat - MARCH 2022

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,908 Member
    Options
    tuxado wrote: »
    1. Tell us a little about yourself?
    Hello everyone, I am Dazzy (Tuxado on mfp) 59 years old, retired, and living in Kansas. I have 2 adorable fur kids that are terribly spoiled. A few years back I was badly injured, and am still in a wheelchair most of the time. Though recently I have regained the ability to walk very short distances with arm crutches (40-50 steps at a time). So I likely will not be joining the step fitness challenge.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    I've struggled with my weight all my life like a big yoyo of about 80 pounds. After being stuck in a wheelchair, I just ate and ate and ballooned too. About a year ago I realized I needed to start making some lifestyle changes to accommodate my new reality. I came to my fitness pal about several months back when my previous site closed down, but never got serious about using it until recently.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?
    My triggers are mostly due to depression and boredom, not any particular food. If I start thinking about how I am now vs how I used to be ... lookout food, here I come. Mostly I try distraction techniques and hobbies. Basically trying to avoid down or spare time by being super busy.

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by?
    I have found for me, simply counting calories seems to work the best.

5. What is your favourite way to workout?
    I prefer to do a combination of yoga chair dancing and cardio drumming. I love dancing and being able to take out my frustration by beating on something with sticks is pretty awesome. I have several sources that I can share if any other need or are interested in chair compatible workouts.

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year?
    When I set goals, I set a range rather than one specific number. Weight wise, I would like to lose between 4-8 pounds this month (50-80 this year). I have numerous NSV mostly mobility related that I hope to achieve such as being able to get up and down on the floor without assistance, being able to stand and take a shower, lifting my legs on their own instead of using straps when stepping into the tub, etc. To be honest, I am not sure all my "goals" will be physically possible, but the docs also told me I would never walk again so ...

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?
    Being new to this challenge and team, I hope to gain motivation and to an extent accountability while making some new friends. My outside sources of support are minimal. If any wish feel free to add me as a friend. I am something of a night owl. So most of my posts will be in the evening.

Welcome to our wonderful team ... I do have a converter chart where I can turn most exercise into steps so you can join ...I hope you re-consider :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    yiaknu51bg4c.jpg

Our 1st week challenge for March

I would like everyone to try really hard to not have any sweets for a week...no cake, no ice cream, no cookies, no candy etc .. Please come on here and report that you had no sweets each day for the entire week ... now there is an exception .. if you are keto like me and you have a no sugar candy or etc then it doesn't count ...We got this :)

Sunday - I had no sweets today not even my choc zero candy :)
  • mszoueb
    mszoueb Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Username: mszoueb
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW (Previous Weight): 234.6
    CW (Current Weight): 237.2

Hi all, here for Monday weigh in.

Well, last weigh in win lasted all of two minutes, though it was great to see this morning of being on the board for 3rd place, been trying to get up there for a while.. I was in 235/236's Fri/Sat and now this, this morning. Could say more, but not really much point, just keep on going instead. I would like to be in the 220's set of numbers by end of April, or at least close to it, so aiming for that despite the knockbacks.

Hoping to do exercise this week and get out at the weekend for a walk or bike ride depending on weather. I'm enjoying it being lighter later and nature coming back to life.

Here's to a better March!
  • Pippin20206
    Pippin20206 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Steps 5128
  • peng123
    peng123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, Downsizers! Here's my check-in:

2/27:
    Calories: 1,156
    Exercise: 75 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes strength training class, 15 minutes stretching class
    Steps: 12,862
    No sweets!

I had a great exercise day yesterday - today is a rest day. I have a dentist appointment first thing this morning so I'll be back later with my intro.

I hope you all have a great day!

Cara
  • jimboden3
    jimboden3 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    JimBoden3
    Weigh-in Day: Monday (Feb 28, 2022)
    PW: 224
    CW: 222.4
    SW: 240

This was a good week but I'm sorry to say that my monthly track record is going in the wrong direction. No excuses - I need to exercise more.

Let’s get to know each other!

1. Tell us a little about yourself? I'm Jim (53) and live in St. Louis, Missouri with my wife Susan of 25 years and have one adult daughter, another girl and boy in college and our youngest son is a sophomore in High School. I'm an IT Director at a Fortune 50 health care company which keeps me very busy. I've suffered from insomnia for most of my life which would be less of an issue if I worked out more but I usually get on the computer, watch TV or snack so my 2022 goal is to at least exercise in the wee hours if I can't fall back to sleep. We're also big travelers.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? I wasn't happy with my appearance in in family pictures and got my 'wake up' call after hearing about someone else passing away early due an unhealthy lifestyle. I'm on track to retire early (~ 4 years) and I want to be around for a long time to enjoy retirement and eventually be a grandparent.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? Pizza, Nachos, and Moose Tracks ice cream. I never buy the stuff but my wife does so I try to make sure I eat some fruit or vegetables first to mitigate the risk of eating too much.

4. Do you have a favorite diet you go by? No specific or regimented approach - I just try to eat healthy when I can, and treat myself every now and then. No one is perfect and life is short so eating needs to include enjoyment and no just be about dieting all the time.

5. What is your favorite way to workout? rowing, weightlifting and I'm trying to get into using my weighted jump rope (it's hard). I enjoy walking outdoors when the weather isn't bad. I've slacked off this winter and need to get back out there more often.

6. What are some of your goals this month? I really lost my motivation last fall and the weight crept back up so my plan is to lose 2 lbs / month for the rest of the year.

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? It's been inspiring to hear about the challenges others are taking on and it helps me realize that I can do this if I put my mind and effort into it.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,513 Member
    Options
    Jpedno wrote: »

Very nice steps! Did you go for a walk or hike?

cormierannie
    weigh in day sunday
    pw: 156 pounds
    cw: 155 pounds

Annie, nice loss!

red1185 wrote: »
    Good evening everybody. This was not such a great week for my weight - specifically because of my diet for the last few days. Dinner with friends on Friday, and a birthday party yesterday - lots of sweets and fatty foods. Also, my digestive system is not super happy with me right now. My steps were good, though. I spent time on the treadmill, walked the dog, and did laps at work during breaks. Hopefully the weight increase this week is just due to water retention, etc. Like I’ve been saying, though..I can’t seem to get out of this 5 lb fluctuation no matter what I do. It’s super frustrating! I’m staying between 160-165…I can’t get out of the 160s! Ugh!!

PW: 160.6
    CW: 163.6

Steps:
    2/20: 860
    2/21: 1,000
    2/22: 9,958
    2/23: 8,315
    2/24: 7,232
    2/25: 7,250
    2/26: 6,337
    2/27: 8,331

Look at your win for the week: doing very well on your steps! Maybe find ways you can make a plan in advance when eating out or going to a party.
    rwood566 wrote: »
    Good evening everyone. Finally checking in on time.
    2/27:
    Steps - 18409
    Calories - 1700. Ate at home all 3 meals so I was able to get really close. Been eating out to much.
    Exercise - 8.86 mile walk this morning. 2 hrs 40 min. Gym after dinner. 8 machines but no cardio.

@tuxado I think you could rock the step challenge. Use it to push yourself a bit more each time. Maybe start at 60 Steps? On the more impressive side, huge congrats on being able to get out of the chair. I bet you felt like you just climbed everest the first time.

Those steps are insane. I would have to do a lot of swimming to catch you. Great job!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @mszoueb
    You have a great attitude. Moving forward and not looking back is always the best. We can’t change the past but can do our darnedest for the future.

@jimboden3
    Nice loss! I hear you on the monthly track record. I am in the same boat. We just have to keep the momentum of the last 2 weeks going.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @28Haveitall2020
    I got your weigh in from the February chat and will move your weigh day!
  • Morethanjustanumber
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Date 2/27
    Step count 7709

No Sweets or snacking!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    ✅Close Rings
    ✅Steps 13,395
    ✅Log Food
    Swim 56/1500

Decided my fitness goal will be 1500 laps for the month. In February, my goal was 800 which was 200 laps each week of the challenge. This month I bumped it up to 300 a week. I hope nothing keeps me out of the pool as I don’t to be scrambling like I did last month.

I had some fun in the pool yesterday. I did 5 different strokes to see which one burned the most calories. The back stroke burned the most but what was surprising to me was the side stroke burned was the second highest for calories burned. I can’t do back stroke more than 1 or 2 laps because of my shoulder and I find side stroke boring. For now I am limited to breaststroke which burned the least. Not complaining though as I still burned 562 calories between my swim and water workout.

Happy Monday!
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,814 Member
    Options
    Tahm42
    Monday
    PW 217
    CW 219

scale shenanigans have begun
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    02/28
    60 minutes walking outside 2.5 miles
    It was 52 degree today with mud, puddles and melting snow and ice everywhere. Couldn’t walk very fast as tried not to splash too much. Next Monday it will be 32 degrees. Got to enjoy the mild weather in Iowa while I can. Today was back at goal weight again, yippee! Tomorrow is the body composition scan so hoping for improvement in visceral fat since last year. Am going to write and update my story on my anniversary, March 8.

@lindamtuck2018 RAGBRAI is a week long ride across the Iowa ending with dipping your bicycle tires in the Mississippi river. Participants ride 50 to 70 miles a day over varying routes each year. Iowa is not flat but there are, plains, rolling hills, rivers and bluffs. People from all over the world register and participate in it each July and others will informally ride a leg of it.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    02/28
    60 minutes walking outside 2.5 miles
    It was 52 degree today with mud, puddles and melting snow and ice everywhere. Couldn’t walk very fast as tried not to splash too much. Next Monday it will be 32 degrees. Got to enjoy the mild weather in Iowa while I can. Today was back at goal weight again, yippee! Tomorrow is the body composition scan so hoping for improvement in visceral fat since last year. Am going to write and update my story on my anniversary, March 8.

@lindamtuck2018 RAGBRAI is a week long ride across the Iowa ending with dipping your bicycle tires in the Mississippi river. Participants ride 50 to 70 miles a day over varying routes each year. Iowa is not flat but there are, plains, rolling hills, rivers and bluffs. People from all over the world register and participate in it each July and others will informally ride a leg of it.

You did mean 2/27 correct? or did you have a zero for 2/27
  • aactuallyaash
    aactuallyaash Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ugh the no sweets! So I saw the challenge sunday night and went to bed with the intention of doing this challenge. I arose this morning, said my prayers and made a protein pancake for breakfast. Then I put a couple chocolate chips on it :persevere: because I was craving a chocolate chip pancake! The rest of the day has been fine. I actually used a meal replacement drink for lunch and dinner is coming as a chickpea curry with some naan. I'm getting my foods back in order after some poor eating choices since the American Superbowl weekend.
    I did my workout, one hour today! I was doing full speed 45 minutes. They last 15 were brutal, but I completed it. I'm reminding myself that a good workout cannot negate a poor food system for myself.
    I'll be back tomorrow for my weigh in!

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    aactuallyaash
    2/27 - 8,361
  • JScottJr1988
    JScottJr1988 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Username: JSScottJr1988
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Cw: 189
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. I hope you all are doing better than I am. Head isn't in a steady place.
    Check in for 2/28:
    Steps - 1821. On charge half the day but didn't do much. I deserve the count.
    Calories - about 2000. Homemade lasagna so a guess at calories. Probably to large of serving. I an full but keep snacking. Hate this.
    Exercise - nothing.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Due to my hips being in pain and having headaches/migraines I have decided I will be working out at home ...my plan is to do PiYo dvds (which is pilates and yoga ) 5x a week and walk with Leslie Sansone Dvd's 5x a week ....I didn't workout today due to my hips hurting all day long but I did walk around my house ...I probably won't be walking outside until summer...thank goodness we have a big backyard so the dogs can run around until then
This discussion has been closed.