pictures

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    Ancient cheapo plastic 4" tube literally unraveled when I touched it. Crap.

i74iyap2qzk9.png

Rather than leaving the 4" hole open for rodents to enter into my attic, I put the new vent in place.

4kfm10kc6qh4.png

• DogloverTerri
    DogloverTerri Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow. How old do you suppose that tube was ?
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Wow. How old do you suppose that tube was ?
    The house was built in 1977... I'm guessing it's that old...
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Two bags per shelf... 400 lbs of fun...

h3qg1ct2amxa.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    Proof ‼️
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Proof ‼️

My wife asked what the bags of pellets looked like so I snapped a pic. Then I thought others might be the same as my wife. The pellets look much like animal feed but made of a combo of hardwood sawdust and a natural binder.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    How much wire? So much wire...

r27vn33vu69z.png

So the basement has a sump pump (a pit with a pump so if ground water ends up in the basement) which is under the shelves. For some odd reason, they ran the pump's outlet through a window... and the satellite dish's coaxial wires in through the same... meaning the window's outlet is blocked with plywood with a couple of holes for access...

I'm thinking I will drill a hole in the rim joist for the sump pump outlet... and I'm removing the satellite dish (and cables) so I can have the window back.

I'm going to delete those small shelves and I'm probably going to disassemble and move the big shelves.

mdht33xbg7ud.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Pool table is set up!! Woot woot!! Although the table looks small, it's a full sized 4' x 8' table and there's space around it big enough to use cues without hitting the walls.

There's a small deck outside that door with a lovely view of the ocean...

1nedw6lk81zb.png

The stairs don't have an handrail... I find that really odd... will fix...

8u29hdjbxua1.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    Awesome 🤩
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Slightly over-engineered cover for the sump pit built from scraps of disassembled shelving material...
    966zv2uqiqmu.png
    The "tabs" are to ensure the cover isn't accidentally dislodged...
    mmm124qpgpj2.png
    Seems sturdy enough...
    kkmsgw0xeyar.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The concept of having this many stairs (wooden stairs at that) without a handrail seems imprudent...

2a6pfzui4p68.png

mjl451ulyvvg.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Things you learn by doing... For example, look at how close that top shelf is to the floor joists (ceiling)... too close to put anything meaningful on top, especially if I'm moving the shelves around.

6un6tejq8zp2.png

Load 'em up...

rrza0w2hehcy.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The boxes were previously stored here...

5jbclc9qq8wy.png

So I unloaded the remaining boxes and disassembled the shelves...

mc3x99zqa8d3.png

Which resulted in me having this lumber to repurpose/reuse to make two more sets of moveable shelves...

1gznndirq6o4.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Second set of movable shelves built and loaded...

kj734fou3aj8.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    Wow. You are good.✅👍
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Wow. You are good.✅👍

I'm enjoying this particular project. I'm thinking I might build one more set and call it good enough. I might make the final set extra robust so I can replace the resin shelves currently holding the bags of pellets. The resin shelves are sagging from the weight plus they're not movable. The main difference would be heavier duty castors.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Traction tape...
    wjbjsto5nuv1.png

Looking down the stairs used to be an odd experience... the floor and the stairs are painted exactly the same colour... probably the same paint... so it was difficult to see where the stairs ended and the floor began. Adding the tape served two purposes.

gatg7pi3welj.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    👏👏👏👏👏
  • UncleMac
    Options
    One of the set of shelves I disassembled were made of MDF (medium density fibre boards) which was too narrow for my design... so I decided to use them to trim the basement stairs.

b4q6vw49iedl.png

Notice my son's cat peeking from above? She's afraid of the basement...

9dzkcxf0racg.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I took apart the last of the old shelving so the centre of my basement is wide open. Woot woot!!

So far, I've built four sets of movable shelves; the last one being heavy-duty so I can load it with bags of pellets for the pellet furnace. The castors are rated for 330 lbs each for a total of 1320 lbs... I'll throw 800 lbs on it and see if it is still manageable....

0v51yp73v4vp.png
    68pcdlng4qil.png