pictures

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,959 Member
    Options
    The picture is kind of deceiving... the end wall is actually 12' wide but it looks narrower...

When i got up, my wife was busy painting white primer onto the end wall. Once that dried, I painted it with three coats of the "almond butter" off-white final colour. It took three coats to achieve uniform coverage. So much for Behr Paint...

Kinda neat how the ivory paint of the sidewalls and the almond butter compliment each other.

Once I have my basement back, I will tackle the feature wall.

u71u8eg2llce.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Much better!!
    um7dk42pmmcv.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    It's coming along...
    kdgtxg4ekwdb.png

Meanwhile my wife and I started working on cleaning up the front entrance. It is kinda weird... The steps are wooden... Despite this, someone decided it was a good idea to put topsoil and mulch beside it, covering the right side of the bottom step completely... so it's now rotten. There was gravel over shale/rock and sand in front of the rest. Again, the bottom is sitting on the ground... SO we're excavating down a few inches, removing soil etc... and using the various rocks I've collected from the property to build a loose-stack rock wall.

4ov00wkzf2my.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Not bad... Definitely better than it was previously...
    zmaaqy9eb7vc.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Concrete happened...
    ziqlfn92591f.png
    5s4rbgh13ho9.png
    vujntkdxysvz.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The previous owner took all of the curtains but left behind the curtain rods. So I installed good quality blinds. When I painted the living room recently, I removed the curtain rod & brackets, fixed the holes before painting.

Then my wife said she'd like to remount the curtain rod in the living room and get nice curtains to compliment the blinds. So we ordered curtains from Wayfair. Those arrived yesterday so I remounted the brackets and put up the curtains.

gf2rha53ahzn.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    They're making up forms for the entrance well...

88bpbtv6j0mo.png

hs3u6bqh09k4.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    We removed the old curtain rod, the toilet paper holder and a towel rack... I fixed the holes and primer anyplace I thought the red paint might peek through...

a4asekdyvlv0.png

So much better...

7zqugre49s33.png

And, yes, I did level them out after I finished shovelling dirt into them...

cb942za75p3x.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The desk... As you can see, there are two benches and one desk... I assume it was the last bench at the end of a row of such... The desk includes a seat for the next desk... The legs each have metal brackets for securing the desk and bench to the floor.

No idea how old these are or where they came from... let alone how they ended up stuck in my parent's basement... lol

akw00gw3aiyn.png
    7wyd265dqoco.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I disassembled the bench (without the desk) and started sanding. The screws are rusted and the wood is so hard, it's like they're welded in... Several broke off and now I need to figure out how to handle that.

The wood might be white oak but I'm not certain... I need to learn to "read" wood..

z2befuv3qjbe.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    While helping empty out the momster's house, I came across this decoration they built years ago. I grabbed it before it hit the dumpster... and I'm pleasantly surprised how closely the colour of the backframe matches our house!!

lrnorvizfxgf.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Rusty pot light fixture...

3hjfzs8ewxgb.png
    15s437f4d3kv.png

What I needed to do to remove the pot light and rusty enclosure...

novkwer8rvq1.png

New fixture... a sealed flat LED rated for damp locations and exterior applications... slight larger than the pot light (6" vs 4") but that was necessary as the hole for the pot light was too large for a 4" LED.

dsbmn89hv0gx.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The tape on the floor is to help visualize the locations. It's going to be a tight fit but maybe a bit more space than an airplane toilet... lol

2f4kqnjnnepw.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Itty bitty little sink...

alqbd9ri8l5f.png

bd1groev2756.png

• UncleMac
    Options
    The sink arrived today so we took a quick run downtown to pick a faucet and some peel-and-stick wallpaper. We also found an interesting mirror...

x356qpv0e8gz.png

One more strip of wallpaper to hang tomorrow... almost done...

yint42b936nb.png

When I say the sink is tiny, I'm not kidding. Yes, my hands are large but still..

lyjnpkjsne4g.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The 2x6 framing between the concrete and the door is flat against the foundation on either side of the door. The header above the door isn't laying flat; rather it is standing.... so I added two more standing pieces which filled the gap completely... One 2x6 is adequate; three is overkill... but that's how I roll...

ys2baosdss7d.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The joy of structure work...

h2d60l27bpav.png

If you look closely, the arrow points to the piece of red wire I poked through the small hole I drilled from above for the location of the toilet flange.

0qvvembleml6.png

Two feet to one side of the boxed section is the plumbing for the bathtub and shower... My plan is to hang the small sink... so it's going to be a busy wall...

rbdspo0955s9.png

Finally... an overview picture... You can see the outflow pipe toward the septic field. The toilet of the main bathroom is close to the wall and it flows into the vertical stack... By strange coincidence, it's almost exactly 8 ft between where the new toilet down pipe will appear and the vertical stack... That means this should be an easy and efficient plumbing job for the toilet.

rz2pyb47rqlt.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Next step is probably opening up the drywall in the powder room so I fortify behind the drywall in order to be certain the sink mounts are "bulletproof" because I can't NOT do that... ugh...

Upside is that will make it easier to do the drain and water supply for the sink...

Toilet drain is now installed...

thhynsdyuvhv.png

And toilet is installed...

khedvvs5l5sm.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The semi-transparent oil based stain is soaking into the wood... I bought two gallons and, between the deck and the two panels, it's all gone... I still have a second coat to do... and three sets of wooden steps... so I'm thinking I will be buying at least two gallons more. Ugh!

In this picture, the stain was fresh/wet...
    cvol3asgy7xm.png

And this one is more dry... and different lighting...
    3b9u8p7mzl4i.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The second coat looks better. I switched to a brush as the sprayer used way too much expensive stain... At $99/gallon (plus tax), I'd rather go slowly and use less than half of the amount.

3wsvkoacf11r.png