May 5

Replies

• ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited May 2022
    @snowshoe072

I read this excellent (and funny) book years ago and some of it really stuck with me. He is person who did research about eating behavior and how much more is consumed, with less satisfaction, when we are doing other things. I highly recommend it. https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/mindless-eating-why-we-eat-more-than-we-think_brian-wansink/250624/item/3921357 If you search for his name you can also find summaries of some of his investigations like this one https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2005/11/big-portions-influence-overeating-much-taste-even-when-food-tastes-lousy-cornell which found that people will mindlessly consume large amounts of 14 day old stale popcorn and not even realize it is stale if they are watching a movie.

He is very funny also--- I think reading the book is way more effective than just seeing the summaries of some of his findings.
  • Maggie_MJ
    Maggie_MJ Posts: 654 Member
    Water, water and more water... ;-)
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,262 Member
    May 5, 2022

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Habits to maintain this month:
    Kitchen Closed? Yes
    Did you go "nuts" with nuts today? No (5 days -free)
    Within Sugar macro today? Yes (4 days)

Pass day 0/3 (this is for accountability to myself and my records).
  • eokoro
    eokoro Posts: 626 Member
    May 5th

Exercise: yes
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: yes
  • strongerfaith
    strongerfaith Posts: 43 Member
    May 5

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? No
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? No

1/3 Pass Used

LNS 1/ Me 4
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    May 5th

Exercise: yes
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: yes

Pass days - 0
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    3x yes

I don’t buy treats. I have no sweet tooth. My snacks are nuts, dried fruit or gluten free crackers. If I feel super hungry I may add prosciutto and/or cheese to the crackers but I generally consider my evening snack a mini meal that I eat because I’m hungry or too low on calories.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,456 Member
    @jmu1965 nive idea sometimes it works for me
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,456 Member
    @LazyBlondeChef NO sweet tooth!! OMG glad you have a system that works for you
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,421 Member
    ✅ Exercise - 1 hour of Jazzercise and neighborhood walk
    ✅ Calories -
    ✅ Tracking -

Closed all my Apple watch rings today
    1 Pass days used

Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    UAC: P-2-3-4-5

Great question about treats. I have a lot of treats around the house and I also make a lot of treats so some discipline is required to not constantly reach for them. When it is a "new to me" treat, I do tend to have a bit of FOMO and have a hard time not trying them out. That newness can last a number of days and I really have to remind myself about not making it a habit of eating those particular treats. Once the treats become part of the normal rotation in the pantry or the refrigerator, for whatever reason I can usually make a rational decision as to whether they're worth the calories or not at that moment in time.

Tonight at our Driveway Drinks with the neighbors, some folks brought a bunch of Cinco de Mayo treats (chips, queso, bean dip, guacamole) and I could not resist the queso. It's not something I would generally make nor get eating out. So FOMO kicked in... I did log it and came in exactly one calorie under my limit.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 3,977 Member
    Thursday May 5
    Gorgeous day and evening here. Just back from a 45 minute nighttime walk with the dog. 10:15 pm and it is still 20C (68F) out. Did some gardening again today and the tree pollen is peaking. I am at the highest dose of antihistamines at the moment 🤧😵‍💫🥱🥺. Looks like we’ll get some spring rains over the next few days and then we’ll really see everything open up (and the pollen wash away).

✅✅✅
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Exercise? Yoga, 25 min
    Under calories? Yes, 1,400 max
    Tracked meals? Yes
    Pass Days? 1/3

Water? Yes
    Apple Cider Vinegar? Yes

How do your keep busy and away from those tempting treats? I don't buy them. That was one of my decisions not to get a Costco (Large wholesale market) membership. The large quantities would turn me into a marshmallow.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,089 Member
    Yes x3. 15th wedding anniversary today. It was a pretty low key celebration, but so nice to spend time together and enjoy the beautiful evening.

Happy anniversary
    Glad you had a great time celebrating
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,089 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Walking for 66 minutes over a few different sessions, and 10 minutes strength
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Pass days used - 0

In terms of staying away from snacks, I give myself permission to eat whatever I want up to my calorie limit, and I enjoy snacks. So, if I want something I just plan it in and it takes away the emotional side of trying to avoid it for me.

But of course at times I still wish I could eat when I have no calories left. To take up space I'd otherwise use to eat, I enjoy exercising, walking, or I engage in an interesting conversation with my husband.
  • calvin20874
    calvin20874 Posts: 1,126 Member
    5/5

Exercise: 133 minutes
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: under
    Pass days used: 0
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,667 Member
    I used the teeth brushing to prevent snacking last night. It works.
    I shouldn't have brought so many snacks and treats with me. They were low cal/nutritious but too many. What was I afraid of? We are only away for 3 nights, I didn't really need emergency food supplies. We're not at the "back of beyond", no lack of food shopping near here.
  • atoina
    atoina Posts: 35 Member
    ✅ Exercise: 30 minutes walking and 25 minutes of cardio with dumbbells
    ✅ Calories within my quota
    ✅ Everything tracked

❌ Scale, exactly the same.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Pass Day - sick no walk
    ✅✅but sodium was high

For the month of May, I will re-activate my earlier habit of “Only Eating” when I am eating. No phone - voice, text, etc. No TV. No book. I’m
    Going to say music or radio station is ok