Downsizers Team Chat - JUNE 2022

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,055 Member
    Options
    1. Tell us a little about yourself?
    Hi my name is Kisha🙃 I'm 38 from California. I have 3 kids and 2 huskies.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    I'm on this journey to lose weight and stay healthy so i can be around as long as i can for my kids.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?
    Chocolate and sweets are my triggers. To avoid them I eat sugar free sweets lol🤷‍♀️

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb
    My fav diet is low carb, I also do keto at times.

5. What is your favourite way to workout?
    I dread working out, but I love walking my dogs.

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year?
    One of my goals is to get back into the gym.

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?
    Support, motivation and fun!

So nice to have you on our wonderful team ... we have some things in common.. I live in California... I have 2 kids ...I have a husky and I love keto (dr doesn't) so I will be switching back n fourth each month from LC and Keto.. I do love walking with my daughter and husky :)
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018
    Weigh-in Cheesy567
    PW 232
    CW 232.2
    <3 Oh how I love plateaus, the view is beautiful up here <3
    NSV- my massage therapist commented on how much weight I’d lost since last visit… um… scale says zero, but I’ll take the win. My belt went in another notch, and I don’t have to unbuckle the button to take my pants down, so something is shifting.

Linda I think you had asked about CSA, it stands for community supported agriculture. It’s a system where you pay the farmers ahead of time (so they can buy seed and supplies) for a box of produce (your “share”) through the summer. They often deliver it somewhere convenient or some have pickups at the farm. The program I use is a co-op of several farmers and producers locally across two or three counties who deliver to three towns. It’s nice because as the consumer I’m not tied to one farm doing well or poorly, and it’s a very wide variety of products. No decisions, no shopping, delivered very close by and easy for me energy wise. I split a share with a neighbor, to accommodate the amount of food and preferences and allergies. This CSA includes bread, honey, oats, wild rice, eggs, meats, cheese, in addition to veggies and fruits and mushrooms when in season. They even had sunflower oil and pepitas last year, offer flours, soaps, candies, and handmade gifts for purchase too. All locally grown and processed. This CSA runs June 15-Sept and a winter version Nov-Mar. Every CSA is different. I’ve been in single-farm pure veggie CSAs in the past that run just June-Aug, and I’ve seen flower CSAs.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Steps
    5/22: 4645
    5/23: 4594
    5/24: 5285
    5/25: 5650
    5/26: 9368
    5/27: 7609
    5/28: 7519
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,409 Member
    Options
    cormierannie
    Weigh in day Sunday
    PW 148 pounds
    CW 147 pounds
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Let’s get to know each other!

1. Tell us a little about yourself? I’ve been on MFP since 2015, yo-yo’d my weight before and after that. Around 2017 I learned about the concept of weight maintenance and learned how to do that with the help of a coach, and had one last weight swing up in 2018-2019 during a major health issue as I figured out maintenance on my own for the first time. Since then (2019, at a high of about 330lbs), I’ve been consistently losing with maintenance breaks every fall into winter and as needed during stressful times. I’ve lost about one hundred pounds, hit 227.8lbs on 4/7, but bounced up a bit and am hovering in the low 230’s on a plateau since then, 98lb lost. I’m not worried, plateaus are just times to practice maintenance habits, right? 👍🏼 My step count average is increasing, I’ve been adding in some PT exercises, and hitting up garage sales for next size clothing because mine is becoming loose.
    2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? Morbid obesity and heart disease run on both sides of my family, and I’ve been obese since childhood. I was watching myself get bigger every time I tried to lose weight. My dad died at 61, my mom’s mom died at 54 of heart disease and diabetes, all of her sons have had heart issues in their 30’s or early 40s. I have a muscle disease (doesn’t affect the heart) and eventually I was going to be too large to move. I already have back issues, knee and hip issues, that might get better as I lose weight. My muscle disease won’t improve as I lose weight (I’ll still fatigue and get weak as I move), but it might get easier to move in the first place.
    3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? I live alone and have the luxury of choosing what comes in and out of my house. For many years “triggers” did not come into my house or food plan. Right now, during maintenance breaks I schedule in “triggers” regularly to see how I do with them and how I manage them, learning how to fit them into my calorie allotment and learning how to have normal servings. I start with going out of the house and buying a limited one-serving package or order. There are a few things that have made it back into the house, but in limited quantities and few. For instance, I used to not keep sugar at all in the house (I used to eat it with a spoon during binges if I had a bag for “baking”). Now I can keep a spice jar container full in the spice rack for visitors who would like some with their coffee, or if a recipe calls for some that cannot be substituted with honey or molasses or something unrefined. For cookies or baked sweets I’ll go to a coffee shop and order one thing rather than baking. I’ve also found that have a plan for after a binge or unplanned treat has helped me a lot- mine is simply to log it all as best I can and move on, get back onto my plan right away. I’ll eat a higher protein snack (I have a few pre-planned and always on-hand) that I’ve found help break the binge-cycle for me as soon as I notice it happening and I take extra care to time my meals and plan my protein to help break the cycle and focus on self-care, rather than try to avoid it or fight it.
    4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb Not really, not right now. For several years I was low-carb (75gm net) by necessity due to being on high dose steroids, but my autoimmune issues flare if I go too low carb and I’m actually doing better on a higher carb diet right now. I have many allergies and intolerances, and emotionally do better on the least restrictive diet possible.
    5. What is your favourite way to workout? Right now, walking is what I am able to do, and bands from my PT. If I were physically able, I love spinning, Pilates, lifting, hiking.
    6. What are some of your goals this month? Year? Continue increasing my steps as much as I can, gently pushing my limits. My muscle disease is one where the more I use my muscles, the weaker they become, so I need to pace myself and listen to those limits. But I want to improve my cardiovascular status too. I’d like to continue making some strength gains too, again, gradually. I’ve managed to maintain my lean body mass while losing weight so far, I’d like to continue doing so.
    7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions? I’m using the team mainly for self-accountability. Last year I had a doc breathing down my neck with a threat of “you need to get to a BMI of 35 or I’m sending you for a weight loss surgery consult” to motivate a faster speed of weightloss. I got there, 235lbs is a BMI of 35 for me. But I want to continue losing anyways, and make sure I don’t regain from having pushed so hard last year. My ultimate goal weight might be in the 177 range, it’s 154 by the BMI scale. I’ll be going based on Dexa scan and where I can reasonably maintain.

• red1185
    red1185 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. I’m definitely going the wrong way on the scale. I kinda knew this was coming, though. The last month has been terrible for my exercise and my diet.

As I stated, though, I will make sure I get on the treadmill at least 3 times a week. Summer is here, and I need to make sure I don’t completely fall off the exercise wagon.

Though, again, as I’ve stated many times I am at least proud that I am not where I started at 179.6.

I also have to remind myself that it really isn’t a race. That it is me challenging myself to do better - there’s no grade at the end, or raise, etc. Just me in it for myself. It’s very hard to remember that sometimes, actually most of the time.

PW: 165
    CW: 166.8

Steps for the week:
    5/22: 9,096
    5/23: 7,254
    5/24: 7,195
    5/25: 9,458
    5/26: 9,736
    5/27: 8,295
    5/28: 200
    5/29: TBD
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png

ox80z37ujteu.png
    5jywugwsfa7y.png

Leaderboardgraphic.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    m73icxwkm1ji.png

By Pounds
    snmxqw7ol0ld.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    y4mvqc8k9pyo.png

By Pounds
    s7tbq4ubv1e5.png
    qj8yy5m3yq96.png

Team Winners
    bcups92yi8bp.png

• minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png

gegzdinz09eb.png
    ta7xetmz1nca.png

Leaderboardgraphic.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    822jwpu9b84u.png

By Pounds
    1g4lermv3ak7.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    zkdlpie0xe2o.png

By Pounds
    h3ie3yofe875.png
    gei7bn4kh5t4.png
    e07825m0syi7.png

Team Winners
    ocw6paota1yq.png
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,485 Member
    Options
    Home! I am exhausted and very sore. I had so much fun. It’s time to get back to weighing, measuring and logging my food. I am tired of restaurant food. I am terrified to stand on the scales tomorrow.

We are off to a birthday celebration for my son-in-law. I am looking forward to some homemade food. My son is smoking ribs and chicken. There will be lots of good salads.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Just excuse me for last week. Steps on watch are not accurate because of the walker.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @JaysFan82
    Great job picking healthy alternatives with the munchies. You should be very proud of your weight loss so far. I overnighted in Windsor last night. Stayed at Caesars. Loved the view of the river from our room especially at night.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Do you have your pool open yet?

@nekishaearly637
    Welcome Kisha!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited May 2022
    Options

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    My pool is always open since it is in my backyard ... Just can't swim in it all year round ...looking forward to swimming in it in June/July and August :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
  • peng123
    peng123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hello Downsizers! My name is Cara and I'm one of the motivators for this group. I'm 55 years old, live in Richmond, VA and began losing weight in April of 2021. My starting weight was 250 and I lost over 100 pounds in less than a year - I recently hit my goal weight in March. I stuck to daily calories of 1,200 and never went above that number. I started adding exercise to my routine in December and am really enjoying being active. My doctor and I are still trying to figure out where my weight is going to settle. I had never been able to get below 150 lbs. as an adult - but I am currently about 138. A huge welcome to all of our new members - it's so great to have you here. I'm looking forward to a great June for all of us!

Cara
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    @JaysFan82
    Great job picking healthy alternatives with the munchies. You should be very proud of your weight loss so far. I overnighted in Windsor last night. Stayed at Caesars. Loved the view of the river from our room especially at night.

@Megan_smartiepants1970

@nekishaearly637
    Welcome Kisha!

Haha you were like a 10 minute walk from my house. Small world.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I had my first week of baseball today. My friends whom I mostly haven't seen in a couple month were all amazed at how much I lost. One of my friends ask how much I weighed now and I told him 337.2. I slipped. I NEVER tell anyone how much I weigh even now. One of my friends commented, "wow you were almost at 400 pounds". The other remarked "yeah remember last time at Rob"s(my best friend. We had a big get together). I felt so low after that. I'm so self conscious about my weight. Rather than being proud with how I look now, I felt horrified over how I looked then.

Oh and we lost both games haha.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @Cheesy567
    Great NSV! That program sounds amazing. Farm fresh and delivered nearby. Definitely a win.

@cormierannie
    Nice loss!

@peng123
    Your journey is inspiring!

@JaysFan82
    We can definitely let people get in our heads. Be proud of what you have accomplished and leave the old you in the rear view mirror. This one is for you:
    f86yoyppj6dh.jpeg
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018
    Tahm42
    PW 228
    CW 227

• lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps: 5,084
    exercise: none
    log food: starts today

Good morning! It’s going to be a hot one here today. Exercise begins today. Not sure what I will do at the pool. I am still hurting so I will listen to my body and not push. I will finish with a good stretch session and of course, a soak in the hot tub.

Happy Monday!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    6iw1g6enlr03.jpeg
This discussion has been closed.