Fine-tune your plant-based June

Options
Here it is - the June discussion (and my first new discussion post on MFP).

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,895 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting June started, Spring!

My primary goal for June is to get through the next week first of all. :p It has been rough with the recuperating pupper, but we're managing. Scheduled for suture removal next Friday and life can get back to normal. I worked until 7:00 last night and was so tired I went to sleep shortly after so I am up extra early. Still sleeping in the recliner so I can be downstairs with him, and wake up pretty often to check on him. Planning to run to the office for a couple hours mid-morning.

WFPB healthy lifestyle goals for June as well. Number 1 get back to regular treadmill. My whole routine got blown up this past week. Do some prepping this weekend so I have good meals ready to go. I'll spend some time today planning and get grocery delivery. Not sure if I will mess around with any recipes probably just make a big batch of cooked veggies and beans, a pot of rice or quinoa, and a lemon tahini sauce for bowls. That plus smoothies and raw veggies as salad or in wraps will be just fine for next week.

Guess I'll get busy on some work until breakfast time for the boy. He went outside a little bit ago but is sleeping again now so I will wait for him to wake up.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear your pup's getting out a bit, I'm sure you'll both be very happy when next Friday arrives.

I also need my routine back. Four weeks ago I started a good exercise regimen but last week I did practically nothing as far as intentional fitness. A lot of house cleaning and some repair stuff but no ST or walk or cycling. I have to get out today for my walk and get back into my ST routine.

This month I'm also going to get back to making more food. I've been relying too much on processed stuff and that has to stop. I already have my tofu in the press to make Tofu Tuno Salad today and will be making some walnut taco "meat" and my favorite cashew "cheese" sauce today as well.

Happy, healthy June everyone !
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,765 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Good Morning, sweet peas! coffeebath.gif

Spring, thanks so much for getting us started...love the title... fine-tune June! juneboard.gif

Very happy to hear, your boy is on the mend, Mihani...I am glad you were able to tend to him so much. Things will get back to normal for you, once he is completely healed.

I kept to no processed, frozen foods for May...I threw them out on May 1st and never bought another thing. In times past, I have thrown stuff out, only to buy more...dumb, I know. But that was the idiot in me. She's no longer living here, thankfully!

For June, I have some habits I am working on.

#1 On my days off (Sun, Tues, Wed, Thurs) get in the shower by 6:30...that way I have a great start to the day and don't waste it.

#2 No eating after 7...for the simple reason, I sleep better. My heart is not pumping so hard to digest food...it's helping to repair and restore me for the next day.

#3 Treadmill on my days off...20 minutes is what I have set my goal for this month. My NEW left knee would love to go more; however, my SAD right knee says uh, nope.

#4 A "Fly Lady" shiny sink before bed. I did Fly Lady years ago...this was the one thing that really did make a difference.

Today's Menu:

coffee
    50/50 plate with hashbrowns, spinach, onions and peppers
    Veggie Lavash wrap
    watermelon
    Dinner will be left over breakfast 😉
    more watermelon

Have a delicious day, everyone!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I love the Fine-tune June theme. I hit my targets for May, and I am ready to adjust things a little more. I'm happy with my intermittent fasting. I usually don't eat until 11 or 12 now, and we aim for dinner at 4 pm which often happens a bit later, but usually all done with food by 5pm. It sounds strange when I write about it, but it really works for me and Joe.

I am going to fit more greens into my diet this month. I think I might do a fresh green juice batch once a week, and I'm going back to having smoothies, at least some of the time, so that I can add in kale or spinach. I don't want to overwhelm myself with changes, so that is what I will concentrate on, though I'm also planning to just naturally be more active now that the weather is nice.

• magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Options
    rally.gif

GM, ladies...well, I had a good sleep, but just not long enough...oh well. I will say that I have completed 6 days of not eating after 7 Exception: I do allow myself fruit after 7. and it really has helped my not-the-best-sleeper situation.

I do get off work at 7 pm ...so on those days, I try to have a little something at work at 6ish.

today's menu
    coffee

homemade yogurt (two ingredients Cultures for Health and Organic Eden Soy)
    with fruit and grape nuts

leftover hashbrowns and veggies

refried beans and corn salsa

watermelon and nectarine
    Have a delicious day everyone. rally.gif

• Mihani
    Options
    Yay for good sleep again, Nanc. I haven't been sleeping well since doggo's surgery. I wake up in a panic multiple times a night thinking he got out of his wrap and of course he's just fine sleeping peacefully with wrap in place. I am not a born nurse type and this is wearing me out.

Carla, I am still "trying" to do the intermittent fasting but I spent so many years training myself to enjoy breakfast it is not coming easily. I do okay if I make my smoothie and take it to work to have around 10:00, lunch at 2 ish, then dinner when I get home. How are your dye classes going?

I didn't go to the office today. Worked from 7:30 until about 11:30 then got a shower and ran some errands. Pharmacy for more gauze pads for the boy, grocery for good food this week, picked up my goodies from my salad prepper friend. I'll run to the office for a bit this weekend at some point, and will get back into some sort of routine next week. I can't stay the long hours I usually do with him in this state, but maybe 5 hours a day or something. Sutures come out next Friday and I can get back to normal.

Plan this week: going to steam a whole bunch of asparagus and broccoli, make a pot of rice or farro, skillet full of greens, mushrooms and onion. I can make great bowls with these and top with a sauce. Might try the "cheese" sauce that Spring shared. Cook some lentils to add to the bowls. Salad dressing, probably Shane and Simple vinaigrette. Will just add some chickpeas to my salads or wrap since I'm not really in the mood for hummus this week. I will get everything at least cleaned and prepped today so if I run out of energy it will be ready to cook tomorrow. Also got some red potatoes which I will roast with Shane and Simple method, and sweet potatoes to bake. I just find myself more satisfied and more likely to stick to healthy foods if I have more starches.

Also got a seedless watermelon, first full size watermelon of the year. Hope it's good! And some grapes that I plan to wash and freeze. I have always heard that frozen grapes are a delightful treat but never tried it.

I put off my initial meeting at the new gym until next week but now I think I should put it off one more week. I can't really get started next week with him still recuperating.

Today...
    B - ezekiel toast with avocado and sliced tomato
    L - nothing
    D - big ol' salad with beans added and an orange
  • magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I know, too well, the stress that comes with a sick pup, Mihani. Hoping that he is totally in the pink very soon so you can resume your regular routine.

Did not do so great at the potluck yesterday...ate a few chips with my beans...and a few vegan candies...ate after 7...not a great day.

Today is another day!

coffee

homemade yogurt with grape nuts and strawberry jam

I was not sure about what to take...so I just whipped up a bean and corn salad...sweet corn, pinto beans, English cucumber, red onion, red bell pepper, celery, cilantro, mint, freshly squeezed lime, corn salsa...and there you go...that is my lunch for today.

In the past, I would have grabbed a frozen entree…but those are long gone. I did freeze some vegan, veggie-laden spaghetti sauce…but wasn’t in the mood. Very proud of my choice today.

not happy with my watermelon...sweet and juicy but soft. darn

steamed rice

have a delicious day everyone
  • Mihani
    Options
    Your impromptu salad sounds excellent, Nanc!

Got some work done, took a nap, now time to get to cooking. I hope I can be finished in a couple hours. I don't think I'm going to make a grain since I have the potatoes and I don't want to end up with too much food.

Today...
    B - oats with berries, chia/flax, cinnamon
    L - lots of veggies and mashed chickpeas in an ezekiel tortilla with dijon
    D - big 'ol bowl with roasted potatoes, sauteed greens/onions/mushrooms, steamed broccoli and asparagus, salsa or sauce (not sure if I'm going to mess with making a sauce yet)
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    We're having some Thai food tonight for dinner. Yum!

The natural dye classes are fun so far. I still have a lot more studio time to put in for what has been covered already and more to come this week.

We're picking up groceries tomorrow morning so I will be starting with my increased greens at breakfast in a smoothie. Joe and I have picked Monday as our juicing day, and we will batch prep enough for Tuesdays as well. We have some bok choy in the garden that desperately needs thinning out so that will go into the coming week's mix.

today
    blueberry oatmeal
    tofu pad thai, red curry, fresh spring roll
  • Mihani
    edited June 2022
    Options
    How'd your Thai food turn out, Carla? Glad to hear you are enjoying your classes.

I don't think I'm going to run to the office today. With gas prices so high and all the money I've spent on vet bills the past week I don't want to use the gas to drive back and forth just to go in for a couple hours.

Got all my batch cooking done yesterday. This morning I cut up the watermelon and it is pretty good. Not the best I've ever had but sweet and juicy. Also washed the grapes so they can go in the freezer.

I used red potatoes to make the Shane and Simple roasted potatoes and they turned out really well, but I think I prefer russet for these which is what I used the first time. I ate quite a few pieces last night while getting them packed into a container for the week.

Today's plan...
    B - watermelon, oats with blueberries chia/flax cinnamon
    L - veggie sammich on a whole wheat pita plus a salad
    D - big ol' bowl same as last night
    Maybe an orange or apple somewhere in there.

The steamed broccoli and asparagus turned out perfectly. I haven't tried the sauteed greens with onion and mushroom yet but I'm sure it will be good. I'm just going to add chickpeas or pinto beans to the bowls or salads for my beans this week. Keepin' it simple.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Magic - I applaud your conviction, I could never bring myself to throw out food, especially with how expensive the veggie stuff is (and I know at some point I'll end up buying something again). I have some burgers and dogs left in the freezer and a few slices of Violife cheese left, but I've started this month off making more of my own food so, once those few veggie products are gone, I expect I can start in July with no packaged, processed foods (except vegan mayo, mustard and other condiments).
    Carla - your dyeing classes sound like fun, I'm going to look for a fun class join now that our new house is (mostly) done.
    Mihani - you're reminding me that I have to buy more fruit on my next grocery trip, I really don't eat enough of it.
    I'm trying Dr. Greger's eating method. He says to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. So today:
    B - Tofu Tuno Salad with arugula on whole wheat tortilla
    L - Litelife veggie dog, side salad
    D - oatmeal with walnuts
  • magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Morning all…

Everyone is focusing…so lovely!
    Coffee

Homemade soy yogurt, strawberry jam, grape nuts

Corn/bean salad…making up more today so I will have for several days.

Refried bean tostada Ezekiel corn tortillas in the air fryer, beans, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, corn salsa, soy yogurt drizzle

Watermelon 🍉

Have a delicious day everyone!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Spring, when I'm not eating as well as I should fruit is the first thing that drops out of my diet. I'm not sure why because I love it, but if I make sure I eat 3 or 4 servings of fruit a day I do much better at staying on track. How was your tu-no salad? Carla makes that often and I keep meaning to try it.

Nanc, you are rocking WFPB the past month! How is your knee doing and are you getting any swimming in?

Going to the office for 5 hours or so every day this week. Need to get back in a routine since the boy is feeling better. I will work more here at home of course.

Plan for today...
    B - smoothie
    L - big ol' salad (veggies this week are lettuce, purple cabbage, red onion, beets, radishes, carrots, yellow squash) topped with chickpeas and Shane and Simple vinaigrette
    D - big ol' bowl (potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, greens/mushrooms/onion, pinto beans)
    Will eat some of the watermelon with each meal since I have a LOT of watermelon to get through!
  • magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Morning, Ladies…

Mihani, I’m working on developing healthy habits. One of them is to revamp my environment. James Clear says…”Environment is the invisible hand that shapes human behavior.”

It will take, at the most, my next two week-ends to fine tune my environment so swimming and sauna time will be easier to access. More on this after the fact, so I can report positive results.

Thanks, M, for the props on my eating. I am thrilled that I finally ditched my addiction to so much processed frozen foods.

Todays menu. Work day 7am to 7pm

Yogurt and fruit and grape nuts…it’s the crunch !

Lunch and dinner corn and bean salad

Celery and PB2

Nectarines

Taking two small potatoes to microwave in case I get hungry.

Have a delicious day everyone.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I had a bit of a high calorie weekend. I'm not sweating it, just getting back to basics and adding in extra greens as planned this week.

Plan for today
    smoothie
    fresh veggie juice
    maybe some carrots with hummus
    red lentil cauli curry
  • Mihani
    Options
    Nanc, I was thinking that I need to get in the habit of keeping up habits. Will be interested to hear what you are doing to revamp your environment.

Carla, I am doing way better about greens this week. Couple big handfuls in my smoothies, the cooked greens in bowls with potatoes and the other veggies, and salads/wraps. I was just thinking I bet the cauliflower curry would be good with a couple handfuls of baby spinach or chard added.

Spring, how you doing?

My schedule is still all wonky. I have been awake since 3 am and finally got up at 4 am. Guess I'll go get my shower, get the boy fed and get on with my day.

Meal plan for today much the same as yesterday. I got my appointment at the new gym rescheduled for next week so I have something to look forward to.
  • magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Mihani, yesterday I woke up at three and got out of bed at four… what a coincidence! It’s the pits actually isn’t it? :'(

I’m just making my environment much more simple so that cleaning is easier. I’m no longer having a gal come to my house to clean because it’s too expensive with the price of gas and everything else so high.

So I need to simplify my environment to make my cleaning situation easier for me. I’m dedicating one or two rooms on days that I’m off so that I don’t have to spend a whole cleaning day; plus my sweet body would not like it… I just have to do a couple hours each day and then my house will start to get into a better shape with each passing week.

My decluttering, organizing and cleaning schedule:

Tuesday Master bedroom master bathroom

Wednesday. Kitchen

Thursday Guest bedroom and bath

Sunday living room and dining room

One load of laundry each day that I’m off if needed. Wash fold put away

I feel that my schedule is doable so that I’m not overwhelmed on any one day. As the weeks and months go by, the plan is that it will become even easier, with decluttering and organization taking place weekly.

Today’s menu

Baked potato, yogurt fresh fruit grape nuts

Corn and bean salad

Bean tostada

Well Your World Oat Clusters

Have a delicious day everyone!

• SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    We spent the last two days installing blinds in our house, all except the guest bedroom because that window has been leaking. We caulked it a couple of times, now we just have to wait for a couple of good rainstorms to see if it's all sealed. Up until now we had the blackout construction shades in every window - finally, sunlit rooms!
    Carla, Mihani - I've been getting more greens into my diet also, had a salad the last two nights (instead of oatmeal) and it looks like I'll have all of the processed veggie stuff out of the house in about two weeks.
    Magic - I usually clean my house just a couple rooms at a time as well. It's too much to try to do the whole thing in one day.

Today -
    B - Chickpea sunflower salad with garlic sauce (minimalistbaker.com) on half a whole wheat tortilla
    L - Beyond burger on roll with vegan cheese sauce, tomato, pickles and mixed greens
    D - Oatmeal with walnuts (we'll see ;) )
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I am also trying to simplify around the house. It is so easy to acquire things and so hard to let them go - at least that's what the evidence around my house suggests!

The weather is finally warm around here and my smoothies appeal again. Today was my second one, and I plan to have them at least 5 days a week, with oatmeal 'pie' on the weekends.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I made a banana indigo vat the other day as part of my dyeing class. I had to mash up 7lbs of overripe bananas and then boil them up in a big cauldron with water. The entire house smelled like banana bread. It was driving me crazy! (Indigo vat will be ready either later today or tomorrow morning I'm hoping.)

Despite the divine smell throughout the house, I managed a very good food day. Being just that little extra bit more careful with food seems to make a huge difference in how I feel.

today:
    smoothie
    pear
    baked tofu w/ water fried greens, mushrooms, misc veggies over noodles with a thai sauce, fruit salad