Chat Room - please come and share here

Options

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    I got my results back from my blood draw for the appointment next week. Fasting glucose was 105. A1C was 5.9
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,500 Member
    Options
    divllvblpl66.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    igbrjfbvwwj3.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    3jumhvebyodx.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    nwo29vd0o02q.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    j3b55xh05ldo.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    y362zdzpz15z.jpg
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    WHAT would you do?
    My sister in law is seeing a nurse practitioner, because she can't find a family doctor. That seems to be a problem for everyone.
    Anyway, regarding her diabetes, the nurse prescribed OZempic, and stopped her mealtime insulin.
    Once a week, only test before bedtime.
    So, I thought, well, this could be good for me. But, alas, not recommended for people who have and still have problems with the old pancreas. It's one of those meds that makes your pancreas make more insulin, and according to my diabetes doctor, mine just can't squeeze out anymore.
    Now, here's the big What to do.
    One of the possible side effects is thyroid cancer. My sister in law already has thyroid issues. Not sure what, but there you have it.
    Would you ask her if this nurse practioner told her this?
    Personally, I won't take anything that says side effects may include cancer. I just won't. Too much cancer in my family.
  • 2t9nty
    edited July 2022
    Options
    WHAT would you do?
    My sister in law is seeing a nurse practitioner, because she can't find a family doctor. That seems to be a problem for everyone.
    Anyway, regarding her diabetes, the nurse prescribed OZempic, and stopped her mealtime insulin.
    Once a week, only test before bedtime.
    So, I thought, well, this could be good for me. But, alas, not recommended for people who have and still have problems with the old pancreas. It's one of those meds that makes your pancreas make more insulin, and according to my diabetes doctor, mine just can't squeeze out anymore.
    Now, here's the big What to do.
    One of the possible side effects is thyroid cancer. My sister in law already has thyroid issues. Not sure what, but there you have it.
    Would you ask her if this nurse practioner told her this?
    Personally, I won't take anything that says side effects may include cancer. I just won't. Too much cancer in my family.

I would not have an issue with seeing a nurse practitioner myself. I do think that the medical community should recommend more closely monitoring things LIKE glucose numbers. This bit was important for me in figuring our what worked and what didn't.

I say bring the concerns up. I am not sure the doctor/whatever needs to bring up every side-effect. Telling people about a side-effect might make you hyperaware of tendencies to GI distress or sleeplessness. They can always ask at the next appointment to see if the med was problematic in some way.

I know statins can be hard on the liver. After I started one, I noticed new tests on my bloodwork. He was monitoring liver numbers. That seems like enough for me, and he does not have to have the conversation about the statin and possible liver issues. He is aware and keeping an eye on things.
  • judyvalentine10
    Options

I say bring the concerns up. I am not sure the doctor/whatever needs to bring up every side-effect. Telling people about a side-effect might make you hyperaware of tendencies to GI distress or sleeplessness. They can always ask at the next appointment to see if the med was problematic in some way.

I know statins can be hard on the liver. After I started one, I noticed new tests on my bloodwork. He was monitoring liver numbers. That seems like enough for me, and he does not have to have the conversation about the statin and possible liver issues. He is aware and keeping an eye on things.[/quote]

Thanks. Statins are the cholesterol drugs right? I have everything tested every 3 months.
    I do read every possible side effect when I'm given a new drug, just so I can be aware. And you're right, I may have become over aware.
    Maybe I'lll keep it to myself for now and see how my SIL does.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I had my doctor's appointment this morning. Everything is good, and most of my numbers have improved. Specifically he said kidney numbers were excellent, so I am good there.

I have read that dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on bloodstream cholesterol. My numbers would support his. I eat a lot of eggs and red meat. I am on a statin, and so that is a factor, but my numbers have come down with no changes in diet from where they had been on the statin before.

Anyway, he said he was not going to recommend any changes in diet or meds - whoohoo!
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Thanks. Statins are the cholesterol drugs right? I have everything tested every 3 months.
    I do read every possible side effect when I'm given a new drug, just so I can be aware. And you're right, I may have become over aware.
    Maybe I'lll keep it to myself for now and see how my SIL does.

Statins are for cholesterol.

I say give it a wait for the SIL. This med might be changed at the next appointment, or the NP might order a thyroid check of some sort just to monitor things.
  • Marilynsretired
    edited July 2022
    Options
    So the discussion re having the diabetic meds changed from mealtime pills to Ozempic. I have just made this change knowing what the state as side effects - but these side effects are pretty much shown on all meds.

At any rate I just started Ozempic - had my 1st shot on Monday and have 5 more to go. My doctor is monitoring it as I have diabetes, high cholesterol, hiatus hernia and kidney trouble. As I said the doctor is monitoring - the thing is if you take a pill for your diabetes it has side effects to one being that there is warning on them that they can affect your kidneys and make it difficult to lose weight. But with proper healthy eating and monitoring with blood tests every 3 months you can keep ahead of anything that can go wrong.

Also for me the plan I am following (The McDougall Program) - well this doctor is a heart doctor and has been treating his patients with this way of eating for over 50 years and most of them he has been able to help reverse all their illnessess, no more diabetes, no more high cholesterol, no more high blood pressure and so no - just by following this healthy eating plan. It is working for me. And my husband who is a skinny type of person has been eating the same way and was just talking to the doctor because of his blood pressure - he has been taking 2 pills a day to control it each a 10 mg of meds - he is now only taking one 5 mg pill a day and his blood pressured in 8 weeks is now pretty much normal every day - 115 /80 to 128 / 80 = so doctor is saying it is because he got of all the meat and other processed food but all he has to do is eat a bit more as he has lost 12 pounds - but he looks so good and actually the 12 pounds though he is a small man has actually been good for him as he just looks better and is much more active - and by the way he will be 78 end of this month - so following a healthy way of eating does work

e2d1ki7abax6.jpg

• judyvalentine10
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I had my doctor's appointment this morning. Everything is good, and most of my numbers have improved. Specifically he said kidney numbers were excellent, so I am good there.

I have read that dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on bloodstream cholesterol. My numbers would support his. I eat a lot of eggs and red meat. I am on a statin, and so that is a factor, but my numbers have come down with no changes in diet from where they had been on the statin before.

Anyway, he said he was not going to recommend any changes in diet or meds - whoohoo!

Good for you and your numbers.
    |Yes, my cardiologist said, and studies show, that your body makes 80% of your cholesterol, the other 20% is from diet. And, the only way to get the 'good' cholesterol is through exercise. I've had to give up most red meat because it gives me pancreatitis attacks. I can eat extra lean hamburger in things like spaghetti sauce, cabbage rolls, and on very, very rare occasions, a homemade hamburger.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

Good for you and your numbers.
    |Yes, my cardiologist said, and studies show, that your body makes 80% of your cholesterol, the other 20% is from diet. And, the only way to get the 'good' cholesterol is through exercise. I've had to give up most red meat because it gives me pancreatitis attacks. I can eat extra lean hamburger in things like spaghetti sauce, cabbage rolls, and on very, very rare occasions, a homemade hamburger.

Pancreatitis totally changes the game. My fat intake is very low really for someone on keto - 66 g today. That is probably too high for you.

I have really come to realize there is no one-size-fits-all in terms of diet, and one of the tragedies is that this is not what you are taught. You either figure this out on your own or there is some health issue that makes you tinker with the recommendations until you find what works. I think many people don't WANT to change the diet and so the doctor just adds meds if that is an option.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    r257jcpxju0z.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options

vgerl1hlzecs.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    gw7ylja1zyyx.jpg