Fat2Fit in the Kitchen - Recipes, Tips, and More!

Options

Replies

• MotylekOkruchy
    MotylekOkruchy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Here is another one I never seem to have enough: Sesame Curry Turnips and Carrots
    Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 medium turnips, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
    2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    curry (I use A LOT)
    Directions:
    1 In a skillet on medium-high heat, add oil and saute onion, turnips, carrots, and salt until vegetables begin to soften. Stir in garlic and sesame seeds and cook until vegetables begin to brown. Add curry (and any other spices you wish.) (To make it a bit thicker you may stir in some corn or potato starch mixed with half a cup of water.)

The original recipe called for honey instead of curry. It is also tasty but I prefer the curry version much more!
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If you like brussels sprouts this is a good recipe. Instead of boiling them as directed in the recipe I toss them with a teaspoon of olive oil and roast them in the oven at 375 until they're tender. Then I add the sauce to them. I always double the recipe.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220287/honey-dijon-brussels-sprouts/?utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-recipe&utm_content=20220601&utm_term=220287
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    I've made a few breads lately, had to stop because I started wanting too much bread but for those of you who are better than me at moderating here's a couple from Skinnytaste (her recipes are usually good so I've tried a lot):

Skinnytaste Zucchini bread:
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/zucchini-bread

Pumpkin Banana Bread
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/pumpkin-banana-bread/
  • MotylekOkruchy
    Options
    One of my favorite smoothies/milkshakes:

100 grams (3.5 oz) cooked beets
    100 grams (3.5 oz) greek yogurt
    2 tablespoons flax meal
    blueberries/aronia/other berries of your choice
    .5-1 cup milk
    ground cinnamon
    .5 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • GinLee61
    Options
    I made this for the first time yesterday and DH and I both enjoyed it. The recipe is from the Skinnytaste One and Done cookbook. I made some modifications to suit our taste. It makes 6 servings and when I weighed it the servings were 12.5 oz each.

This recipe is for an electric pressure cooker. I think you could do it on top of the stove as well.

American Cheesy Goulash

1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 pound ground turkey - 93% lean (you could use beef or chicken instead)
    1 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
    3/4 tsp kosher salt
    1 bell pepper chopped (color of your preference, I used a green one)
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    1 15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
    2 cups low-sodium beef or chicken broth (I used beef)
    1 bay leaf
    8 oz elbow macaroni, whole wheat (I used Barilla protein+)
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2% cheddar)

Set cooker to saute and add olive oil once it gets hot. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Add the ground meat, paprika and salt and cook until meat has browned, breaking meat up into small pieces as it cooks. Add the bell pepper, garlic, worcestershire sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened or about 4 or 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth, and bay leaf. Stir in the macaroni. Seal and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release the steam so that the pasta stops cooking, then open once the pressure subsides. Remove bay leaf and stir in the cheese.

When I put this into the MFP recipe builder with my changes it came out to 340 calories per serving with 37G carbs, 10G fat, 29G protein.
    nj6yxoem7xyx.jpg
  • MotylekOkruchy
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Garbanzo Beans Cookies

🍪 INGREDIENTS:
    1.5 cup of cooked garbanzo beans (drained) [I use 1 can and do not bother to measure]
    .5 cup of peanut butter
    .25-.5 cup of agave syrup or honey (or any other “sweetener”) [I use enough to taste the batter to my liking]
    .25 teaspoon of baking soda
    .25 teaspoon of baking powder
    1 tablespoon spoon of vanilla extract
    pinch of salt
    OPTIONAL: cocoa powder, chocolate chips, coconut flakes - whatever you feel like to use to “personalize” your cookies!
    MY ADDITION TO THE ORIGINAL RECIPE: oats (quick/rolled) - to “thicken” the batter.

👩🏻‍🍳 DIRECTIONS:
    Blend everything until the batter is smooth.
    Bake at 350-356 F (180 C = 356 F) for 10-15 minutes (My oven works best at 350 for 10 mins)
  • GinLee61
    Options
    This recipe is from a Weight Watchers cookbook that I bought about 30 years ago, modified somewhat. I've made this many times. You can substitute whole wheat pasta and/or cooked pork if you'd like.

Chinese Noodle Soup

2.50 oz Baby Spinach
    6 cups No Salt Added Chicken Broth
    4 oz (56g) Barilla Protein Plus Angel Hair pasta, cooked
    3 tbsp Soy sauce, low-sodium
    1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
    2 heads Baby Bok Choy chopped
    1 inch piece of Ginger, peeled and grated
    3 medium scallions, sliced
    1 cup carrot strips or slices
    10 oz. cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
    salt to taste (I don't add any salt)

Combine broth, scallions, ginger and soy sauce in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until scallions are tender, about 3 minutes. Add bok coy and carrots and simmer until they are barely tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in chicken and spinach and heat just until spinach is wilted, then add pasta just enough to heat it through. Add sesame oil then salt to your taste and serve.

Below are the stats from the MFP recipe builder:
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 4.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 263
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 7 g 11 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 53 mg 18 %
    Sodium 645 mg 27 %
    Potassium 673 mg 19 %
    Total Carbohydrate 29 g 10 %
    Dietary Fiber 6 g 23 %
    Sugars 4 g
    Protein 26 g 52 %
    Vitamin A 481 %
    Vitamin C 40 %
    Calcium 11 %
    Iron 16 %
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,081 Member
    Options
    https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a3963/butternut-squash-ravioli-recipe/

I use wonton wrappers for the ravoli's (it makes it a lot easier )
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,107 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Crock Pot Corny Chili

1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cans (14-1/2 oz. ea.) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (11 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
    3/4 cup Picante sauce
    1 TB chili powder
    1/2 tsp. garlic granules

~~~Garnishes~~~
    Corn chips
    Sour cream
    Cheddar cheese, shredded

In a large skillet, sauté beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.

Transfer to a 3 quart crock pot/slow cooker. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, picante sauce, chili powder and garlic powder.

Cover and cook on LOW heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or until heated through.

Serve with corn chips, sour cream and cheese if desired.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - spaghetti squash can make a great meal.

Split a spaghetti squash vertically. You might want to cut the ends off first to make it nice and flat - especially the stem.

Scoop out the seeds.

Put about a teaspoon of olive oil in each half, and spread it around with your fingers. It's good for those worn, hard-working hands.

Sprinkle each half with some nice salt and pepper, and put them cut side down on a baking sheet. If you want extra easy clean-up, use a sheet of parchment paper on the pan.

Roast at 360F for about 30-35 minutes for a small squash, up to around 45 for a really big one.

When it is soft to a poking fork, take it out of the oven.

Fluff up the squash "strings". Layer on a good amount of steamed kale or other veggies. Then some lovely tomato sauce. If you don't have home-made, any jarred pasta sauce will do! Add any extra herbs or stuff you like. In this stage, any legumes, other veggies, fresh herbs, or whatever strikes your fancy is welcome.

Grate some parmesan and put on a good coating on top. Other cheeses work well also.

Broil carefully for a few minutes until the cheese is lightly browned and the whole thing is hot and bubbly.

Eat up! One helping is one half the squash, unless it is seriously huge. In that case, part of it becomes tomorrow's lunch!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,081 Member
    Options
    https://www.wholesomeyum.com/keto-ravioli-recipe/
    Tip I use wonton wrappers instead of making ravioli dough
  • TexanMom8152
    TexanMom8152 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been making protien waffles during the Christmas break. Super simple and easy.

1 Egg
    1/2 to 1 cup of almond milk
    1 scoop of protein powder - I use casein instead of whey. With whey the texture is a bit gritty.

You want the mixture to look like pudding, bigger egg, less milk, smaller egg more milk. Make sure you get all of the clumps out. That's it, put the mix in your waffle iron and it comes out delicious. I typically use vanilla protein, but my husband ordered some cookies and cream flavor protein and it has come out pretty tasty.
  • GinLee61
    Options
    I made this recipe last week and it was delicious.

https://thepounddropper.com/lightened-up-copycat-outback-steakhouse-alice-springs-chicken/#mv-creation-434-jtr

I only used 3 slices of bacon instead of 6 and 3 was plenty for this recipe. When it put it in the MFP recipe builder with that change it is 239 calories per serving, 12G net carbs, 9.3g fat, 32.4G protein.
  • GinLee61
    Options
    I made this last night and it was delicious. I doubled the sauce and let the browned chicken cutlets simmer in it for about 15 mins before adding the cooked onions and cheese. I used reduced fat cheddar since that's what I had on hand.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/french-onion-chicken/
  • GinLee61
    Options
    Here's a tip that I learned during my brief foray into WW. It's become my favorite after dinner snack, especially if I need more grams of protein to balance my macros for the day.

Mix about 3/4 cup of plain non-fat greek yogurt with fruit of choice and about 2 tsp instant pudding mix (flavor of choice). There are so many combinations you can do. My favorite is 1/2 cup of chopped bing cherries and pistachio pudding mix mixed with the yogurt, then I add a drizzle of chocolate syrup. Instance Spumoni! Sometimes I add a tbsp of chopped pistachios if I have the calories available. I use SF instant pudding mix for mine.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
    Options
    GinLee61 wrote: »
    Here's a tip that I learned during my brief foray into WW. It's become my favorite after dinner snack, especially if I need more grams of protein to balance my macros for the day.

Mix about 3/4 cup of plain non-fat greek yogurt with fruit of choice and about 2 tsp instant pudding mix (flavor of choice). There are so many combinations you can do. My favorite is 1/2 cup of chopped bing cherries and pistachio pudding mix mixed with the yogurt, then I add a drizzle of chocolate syrup. Instance Spumoni! Sometimes I add a tbsp of chopped pistachios if I have the calories available. I use SF instant pudding mix for mine.
    peanut butter powder is also great - if you don't want the chemicals and sugar from the pudding mix. Of course a few chocolate chips never do any harm in that combo... :smiley:
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,887 Member
    Options
    We had this for dinner last night. I chose the Instant Pot method. I only pressure-cooked it for about 17 minutes and that was perfect:

Beef, Tomato and Acini di Pepe Soup (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker + Stove Top) - 6 servings

1 lb 90% lean ground beef
    1-1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1⁄2 cup diced onion
    1⁄2 cup diced celery
    1⁄2 cup diced carrot
    28 oz can diced tomatoes or crushed, (I prefer crushed tuttorosso)
    32 oz beef stock
    2 bay leaves
    4 oz small pasta such as Acini di pepei
    grated parmesan cheese and ricotta (optional)

Instant Pot directions:
    Press the saute button, when it's very hot add the ground beef and salt and cook until browned breaking the meat up into small pieces as it cooks. When browned, add the onion, celery and carrots and saute 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, beef stock and bay leaves, close and using pressure cooker press soup (35 minutes).

After that use the quick release, once the pressure is out open, add the pasta and stir, cover and press manual pressure 6 minutes (I did half the time directed on package of pasta). Remove bay leaves and serve.

Stove top directions:

In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute the beef and salt on high heat until browned, breaking the meat up into small bits. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf, cover and cook low until the beef and the vegetables are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (you may need to add more broth or water if it evaporates too much).

Add the pasta, stir and cook according to package directions.

Slow Cooker directions:

In a large nonstick skillet, saute the beef and salt on high heat until browned, breaking the meat up into small bits. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute 3 to 4 minutes.

Transfer to the slow cooker along with the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf, cover and cook low 8 hours.

Just before it's ready cook the pasta on the stove according to package directions. Add the pasta, stir and cook according to package directions.

Source: https://www.skinnytaste.com/beef-tomato-and-acini-di-pepe-soup/
  • GinLee61
    Options
    @trooworld - I've had that recipe on my list to try but haven't made it yet. I look forward to trying it. I love most of the skinnytaste recipes. Another good one is the Lasagna Soup. I made it Sunday using the slow cooker method. It was delicious.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/lasagna-soup/

I used turkey sausage and farfalle for the pasta. I added half a bag of baby spinach a few minutes before serving.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,887 Member
    Options
    @GinLee61 I really liked it and so did my husband. We did add the optional parm and ricotta. Thanks for the link to the lasagna soup, I'll save that to make in the future for sure! Spinach sounds like a good addition.
  • kelliward1
    kelliward1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been doing higher protein breakfasts and sometimes on the mornings I work I don't have a ton of time...usually make a protein smoothie but recently came up with a quick breakfast sandwich I can throw together quickly if I make the protein pancakes ahead of time to keep in the fridge to warm up in the microwave with the veggie sausage patty. When I make the protein pancakes I add in a tablespoon of milled flax seed and a little cinnamon.

So the sandwich is 2 protein pancakes, 1 Morning star breakfast sausage patty and 3 tablespoons of liquid eggs cooked.

It has about 360 calories and 30 or 40 grams of protein (I can't remember...dang perimenopause brain fog). Keeps me full until lunchtime.