Fat2Fit in the Kitchen - Recipes, Tips, and More!

Options

Replies

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,901 Member
    Options
    @kelliward1 I do something similar and love it: It's called a McGriddle Chaffle. It's a low-carb recipe and I use a veggie sausage patty in it. It's my favorite breakfast right now. Here's the recipe: https://www.lowcarbingasian.com/mcgriddle-chaffle/
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    30-40 grams of protein is HUGE. I hope that normal, non-Olympic level athletes can see that you do not need this level of protein. I think there is a problem with the idea that people with a normal activity level need these kinds of amounts of protein. Relax! Enjoy food - vegetables, fibre, not too much of anything!
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe yesterday and it was really good. I used sirloin steak but I think it would be good with chicken, tofu, or just more veggies instead of the meat. https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7890433/steak-vegetable-stir-fry-with-black-bean-garlic-sauce/

I cut back on the oil to 1 tbsp, 1/2 to cook the steak and the other 1/2 to cook the veggies. I also added mushrooms.
  • trooworld
    Options
    This Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin was really good: https://www.wellplated.com/air-fryer-pork-tenderloin/

I served it with Asian Green Beans: https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/asian-green-beans/

The green beans needed a bit of salt and they were very spicy. I think I would make them again. I would definitely make the pork again.
  • jugar
    Options
    I actually tried a recipe today! I usually just fake it. I had a big bag of parsnips, which I love, and wanted to try something new and use up a bunch of them. Here is what I found, and it was wonderful:

https://food52.com/recipes/19408-vegan-lentil-shepherd-s-pie-with-parsnip-and-and-potato-mash

I did not use any broth - it would have been too much liquid, and I upped the mushrooms and herbs. It would work well with regular milk and butter in the mashed potato/parsnip topping as well, if you are not aiming for totally vegan.

I served it over a big helping of steamed kale. My taller half put ketchup on his! We have different vegetable tastes :wink:
  • TexanMom8152
    TexanMom8152 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We have been on an asparagus kick hear lately. Asparagus is currently in season. This is a fast, simple way to prepare it in the air fryer. The end result is slightly crunchy and very tasty.

Bundle of fresh asparagus
    1 Tbs Olive Oil
    Pinch of garlic powder
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Pre Heat Air Fryer, 370 for 5 minutes
    Clean and trim asparagus
    Toss in olive oil to coat.
    Cook at 370 for 7 minutes.
    Sprinkle on grated parmesan to taste
    Cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes based on the size of the stalks
    fkk42xflcsu2.jpg

• itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,915 Member
    Options
    I keep the following ingredients on hand for a quick and easy "casserole"

Cauliflower Rice Frozen 19oz
    Brocoli Frozen 10 oz
    John Souls Chicken Strips 16oz
    Cream of Mushroom Soup - large can 98% fat free
    Parmesan 1/2 cup
    Cheddar Cheese (I use about a cup)
    Salt/Pepper to Taste

Thaw the chicken
    Prepare the Cauliflower rice and broccoli according to package instructions
    Mix Chicken, Rice, Broccoli together.
    Stir in cream of mushroom soup.
    Add 1/2 the cheddar and all the parmesan
    Salt and pepper
    pour into casserole dish
    Top with remaining cheese

Bake in 350 over for about 40 minutes or heated thoroughly

*You can add more cheese to your taste and calorie allowance :)

6 servings at 260 calories per MFP recipe

• jugar
    Options
    We have been on an asparagus kick hear lately. Asparagus is currently in season. This is a fast, simple way to prepare it in the air fryer. The end result is slightly crunchy and very tasty.
    1 Tbs Olive Oil
    Pinch of garlic powder
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Clean and trim asparagus
    fkk42xflcsu2.jpg
    This works really well in any kind of oven too - I often do a small pan of them in the countertop oven (toaster oven) or a full sheet pan in the regular oven. 375F/190C works well, and you do not need much oil at all. I just rub it with my fingers and then salt and pepper, herbs if you're in the mood. Sometimes with the parm as well, but it tastes great just as is.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,915 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    1 Tbs Olive Oil
    Pinch of garlic powder
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Clean and trim asparagus
    fkk42xflcsu2.jpg
    This works really well in any kind of oven too - I often do a small pan of them in the countertop oven (toaster oven) or a full sheet pan in the regular oven. 375F/190C works well, and you do not need much oil at all. I just rub it with my fingers and then salt and pepper, herbs if you're in the mood. Sometimes with the parm as well, but it tastes great just as is.

@jugar ~ I've done with with broccoli in the oven as well.
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Making chicken enchiladas today for Cinco De Mayo.
    This is a very good recipe https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-enchiladas/
  • trooworld
    Options
    @GinLee61 Chicken enchiladas sound good. We are having:
    Mexican street tacos - https://damndelicious.net/2019/04/18/mexican-street-tacos/
    salad
    and Micheladas (serves 4):
    Kosher salt
    1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
    1 cup lime juice (8 limes) plus lime wedges for serving
    8 teaspoons hot sauce plus extra for serving
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    4 (12-ounce) Mexican beer chilled

Use a well-chilled Mexican lager. Our favorite is Tecate, but Corona Extra or Modelo will also work. We recommend Cholula or Tapatío hot sauces for their flavor and thicker consistencies. If using a thinner, vinegary hot sauce such as Tabasco, which is spicier, start with half the amount called for and adjust to your taste after mixing. Do not use bottled lime juice here.

Combine 2 teaspoons salt and chili powder on small plate and spread into even layer. Rub rims of 4 pint glasses with 1 lime wedge to moisten, then dip rims into salt mixture to coat. Set aside glasses.

Combine lime juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and ¼ teaspoon salt in 2-cup liquid measuring cup, stirring to dissolve salt. Fill prepared glasses with ice cubes and divide lime juice mixture evenly among glasses. Fill glasses with beer. Serve with lime wedges, extra hot sauce, and remaining beer, topping off glasses as needed.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know any really good recipes for napa cabbage? I made a slaw last week....and the CSA gave me another!
  • NouveauRee
    NouveauRee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    @melaniedscott so miss having a CSA nearby! Hope you’re enjoying all your produce! Napa cabbage is my go to over regular cabbage. I shred it and use to make air fryer egg rolls. If I don’t have time to roll. I’ll make egg roll in a bowl or egg roll soup. Also use it for stirfrys. If you want to keep the leaves whole, I’ve made stuffed napa rolls. Also used them for napa wraps instead of lettuce. Also something super simple is rough chopping and just sautéing like other greens. Hope whatever you decide to make is tasty! Happy Cooking!
  • trooworld
    Options
    @melaniedscott I really liked this chopped salad that takes a bit of Napa cabbage. You could always add more than called for: https://leitesculinaria.com/108136/recipes-chopped-salad.html

Here's a recipe for the dressing: https://leitesculinaria.com/108135/recipes-honey-dijon-dressing.html

You could also do Moo Goo Gai Pan. This recipe was really good: https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/moo-goo-gai-pan/
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 2,972 Member
    Options
    Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens Dressing

1 can (15 oz) of sliced pears in juice; reserve 1/3 cup of the juice
    3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
    3 Tbsp vanilla yogurt
    2 Tbsp honey
    1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste

whizz it up in a blender. Keeps a few days in the refrigerator. Best served on a salad that contains fruit, like berries or watermelon.
  • trooworld
    Options
    Made this vegetarian pasta dish last week. It was very good and excellent for springtime:

Pesto Pasta with Arugula, Asparagus, Peas, and Pistachios - https://www.skinnytaste.com/pesto-pasta/
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have really enjoyed using the app mealime (it's meal time without the "T"). Pretty much everything we've made from the app has been delicious.
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    micaroo4 wrote: »
    Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens Dressing

1 can (15 oz) of sliced pears in juice; reserve 1/3 cup of the juice
    3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
    3 Tbsp vanilla yogurt
    2 Tbsp honey
    1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste

whizz it up in a blender. Keeps a few days in the refrigerator. Best served on a salad that contains fruit, like berries or watermelon.

The Trolls Garden!! :D
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    NouveauRee wrote: »
    @melaniedscott so miss having a CSA nearby! Hope you’re enjoying all your produce! Napa cabbage is my go to over regular cabbage. I shred it and use to make air fryer egg rolls. If I don’t have time to roll. I’ll make egg roll in a bowl or egg roll soup. Also use it for stirfrys. If you want to keep the leaves whole, I’ve made stuffed napa rolls. Also used them for napa wraps instead of lettuce. Also something super simple is rough chopping and just sautéing like other greens. Hope whatever you decide to make is tasty! Happy Cooking!

I'm enjoying the CSA. I ended up making a sort of spring roll/cabbage roll with half the second napa that were amazing. And then made coleslaw again with the rest. There is a place that does really lovely lettuce cups with chicken and water chestnut and...well, I don't know what else...that he likes and I'm thinking I need to figure that out. Maybe not with napa but generally.