Leslie Sansone September 2013 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
WELCOME to all walkers! It is almost September, and time to be thinking about a new monthly challenge! Autumn is around the corner for for some while summer continues on for others living in the northern hemisphere, and chilly winter days are almost a memory, depending on where one lives, having LS DVDs to pop in the player continues to be a great alternative to walking outdoors.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home workouts, but those great walks outside or on the treadmill, as well as other Walking DVDs, count also. However you get your walk in, join us!

We are a positive, supportive group, and I promise that this challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your goal for how many miles you want to walk, indoors or out, this month. Post your results daily, weekly, however you like.

If you find this group in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days. You are always welcome!

So tie up those shoes and get some water, and let's start walking!

It is always fun to read which DVD, whether Leslie or another instructor, that you used. Or whatever form your walk took, whether outdoors or on the treadmill or anything in between. We all could use some new inspiration sometimes... or inquiring minds
sometimes just want to know :smile: . So please share if you would care to.
With the cooler days maybe even a hike or two will show up here for some of our outdoor enthusiasts :happy: .

Come on in and start walking the September 2013 challenge together :flowerforyou:

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Goal for September: 150 miles
    To date: 0 miles
    Left: 150 miles

I'm dialing it down from last month and aiming for 5 miles a day. I'm doing my favorite walk, the Leslie Sansone 5 Mile Fat Burner Walk + Cooldown. I'm going to challenge myself to get it done in the early morning!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I am going to try for 60 miles and will continue walking outside whilst the weather is good
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    To date: 0 miles
    Left: 150 miles

I'm dialing it down from last month and aiming for 5 miles a day. I'm doing my favorite walk, the Leslie Sansone 5 Mile Fat Burner Walk + Cooldown. I'm going to challenge myself to get it done in the early morning!

That is much wisdom to know when to change up your exercise. We all need to listen to our bodies. They not only needs super challenges sometime, but also periods of recovery or even rest.
    The 5 Mile Fat Burner Walk is a powerful walk. Nice choice :flowerforyou:
  • supplemama
    Options
    Nah my goal last month's goal was 6 miles a day, which is doable for me. I just had too many days where I blew off my walk so I had to play catch-up there at the end of the month.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    Goal for September 40 miles

Sept. 1 - 3 miles (outside)

Miles to goal - 37

It is a beautiful morning here in Georgia. I decided to head outside with my BFF & get started. I'm upping my goal this month from 30 to 40 miles. I need to step it up. Good luck everyone.
  • supplemama
    Options
    To date: 5 miles
    Left: 145 miles
  • callasm
    callasm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Goal for September - 60 miles
  • callasm
    callasm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk - 2 miles

2/60
    58 miles to go!
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I think I'll try for 60.Someone kick my butt if I forget to log in and record, please!
  • tmrtynan
    tmrtynan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Shooting for 60 miles in September.:happy:
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm very cautiously going to try this again for September. Too depressed to do much W/O over the summer, but closing in on the year mark, I feel like I ought to be doing SOMETHING. I have no clue as to what a good, reasonable goal for the month would be,
    so any advice would be welcome. Need my support friends more than ever. I'm trying to fight my food addiction, and am hoping to
    start Chris Powell's carb cycling again as soon as I understand the program. If anyone here would like to be my buddy on this plan,
    I would LOVE a friend to share this journey with! I can't do any of Chris' exercises at this point so plan on doing Leslie and NuStep;
    just not sure how much.right now. Also, does anyone know of a safe way to figure out what my goal weight should be? Every plan
    I've tried and failed at says something different and I am clueless...Thank you-I'm sorry I haven't been a better friend...

Today: 58 minutes NuStep- 4 miles
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Sue, the thought that came to mind was set a goal that would be doable for you. Perhaps start with a LS one mile walk 2 or 3 times a week and use the NuStep exercise for the miles on the other days as usual because you are used to that. And make your goal for starters something like that you will check in here to list your daily exercises whatever they might be. Maybe estimate on the low side and change the goal if you end up surpassing it, or just surpass it and use the new numbers for a guide line for the next month. Start out slowly... you will progress wonderfully :heart: .

In other words make you personal goal an accountability/ post here goal, as well as an exercise goal of miles. That way you can get back into supporting and being supported here as well as exercising. I for one missed seeing you and your posts here.

You may be pleasantly surprised how you will do as the month progresses. One month I didn't make a mileage goal for a long time. I did the best I could and logged it. It helped me and I surprised myself. Plus the social benefit of being here was very needed. Because that part is very important as well.

As far as a goal weight that is difficult for me to answer. Here are my quick thoughts: perhaps keep making incremental mini goals like 5 or 10 pounds at a time, and as you get closer to where you are feeling the most healthy, and to what you feel is a good weight for you by how clothing fits on you for instance, then you can give yourself a weight range to stay within for awhile and see how your body handles it. As far as 'goal' numbers maybe decide to just use MFP's numbers as they give a range and you are using the web site, and see how it feels on your body and then you won't be getting conflicting numbers with different plans, past or present. Follow your plan of choice and stick with one set of numbers as a helpful guide line. Numbers don't always tell the whole story, but can be helpful guidelines. That is how I'm seeing it more and more for myself.

Hoping someone else might have some helpful input also.

Hugs and welcome back and congratulations on it almost being a year!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • supplemama
    Options
    Christchick7, I think a good goal for you would be to walk 1 mile a day. As soon as you get up. I mean yeah, go to the bathroom but then right after that walk at least 1 mile. That's 30 miles for the month. If you do more, great, but for now 1 mile a day.

Goal weight - I go by the old doctors' adage of, for women, 100 pounds for the first 5 feet, then 5 pounds per inch after. I'm 5 feet 6 inches, thus my goal weight is 130 pounds. This is a good rule of thumb because it puts you right in the middle of your BMI range.
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Going to do the 120 Mile mark this month , I have not been getting to my daily target much lately , so i am going for it this month.
  • VCanadapt
    VCanadapt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Goal for September - 50 miles

9/1/- 2 miles

48 more to Go!
  • supplemama
    Options
    To date: 10 miles
    Left: 140 miles
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    my goal is 40 miles this month
    I want to do two 5 mile walks a week along side my kettlebell workouts. If I feel like it I might make it three but it depends how I feel.
    I did the 5 mile fat burning walk today so 5 miles down 35 to go!
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Goal weight - I go by the old doctors' adage of, for women, 100 pounds for the first 5 feet, then 5 pounds per inch after. I'm 5 feet 6 inches, thus my goal weight is 130 pounds. This is a good rule of thumb because it puts you right in the middle of your BMI range.

supplemama, where have I been all my life? I never heard that one but it sounds good, at least for me. But of course one does have to keep in mind bone size. I seriously have tiny bones so I could never use the excuse that I was big boned as some of my friends would use lol. By that stated rule of thumb my number (for height 5'2") falls into the top edge of where I have personally felt the healthiest on this journey of taking off the last 15 pounds. When I go over (and I had begun to creep up again :noway: with some added stress :cry: and too many breaks from logging as my reaction) my range and beyond, I do feel it in a negative way. I have been back at creeping the weight back down ever so slowly again thanks to getting back to logging and exercising again faithfully.

Thanks for another look at guidelines.
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Leslie kicked my butt today...first time in a long time that I've done her DVDs or she's done that. I skipped the NuStep so I'd have enough energy. Texasgardnr and Supplemama, thank you for your wise advice...I'm going to take it easier than usual, and bear in
    mind your words about goals. I found a Chris Powell support group here on MFP today and joined. There's also one at SparkPeople,
    and I am struggling with carb cycling especially high carb days. Need all the support I can get while reading Chris' books.

Tentative goal: 30 miles

Today: 3 miles LS

Total: 7 miles
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Tuesday:

2 miles: 30 minutes Petra Kolber Cardio DVD.

0 miles: walking outdoors

Goal for August: 50 combined miles

So far: 2 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 0 outdoor miles

First time doing this DVD. This is not a 'walk' DVD per se, however, almost everyone of the moves that Petra used are the same as Leslie does but with added arms and at a very fast pace for an aerobic w/o. The w/o moves quickly through the various moves in quick succession and combinations. She calls them by different names and does them quickly so I had to be really attentive.
    I am so glad that this DVD was done in my home :laugh: .

Being familiar with Leslie's moves enabled me to move quickly, but not necessarily exactly coordinated with Petra lol. But as Leslie says it is not the moves, but the pace. I followed this with her strength training DVD (today: short upper and lower body workouts) with stretching.

I am very happy to see so many walkers with amazing goals for September. You are all so awesome.