Swimming challenge

Options
2»

Replies

• journey2ahealthierme
    Options
    Soooo... KacyCarpe, how was your flipturn lesson? And have you started Karate again yet?!
    I've gotten my OH involved, so I'm now KB 3 times a week, and swimming 4... The swim intensity is only until end of March when I'll back it off a session. It's good though. Really enjoying it. The only downside is the water weight - apparently I've 'gained' 2.5lb in the last week. Trying very hard not to over react... :neutral:
  • KacyCarpe
    KacyCarpe Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    @journey2ahealthierme The first swim lesson we could book is not until March, so no progress yet on flip turns!

Last night I was excited to go back to my first karate class after my 14-month long hiatus with my torn MCL ... but it was an epic failure. My knee seemed fine, no pain, but during a certain move it wobbled horribly and instantly gave out. I collapsed in a screaming, dramatic heap (Oscar worthy, I'm sure). We'll see what the physiotherapist says, but I'm thinking my exercise minutes are going to drop off a cliff for a while. 😞

On the plus side, at least I still have my brace and crutches. And, of course, my trusty minions to take care of me. 😊

I find it helpful to think about body composition, not weight. More water weight? Fine. More muscle and bone weight? Great! You are on the right path. Just keep going!!
  • journey2ahealthierme
    Options
    Ow ow ow ow!!!!!!!
    Oof, Feeling it just thinking about that! Nasty! Hope the Physio is able to reassure you. And I'm sure swimming will be a good exercise place holder for you once you're back out of the brace and on the road to recovery once again.
    And yeah, you're right. I need to give myself a break on the scales. Hard though as it's such an easy metric.
    Didn't have time to do my planned 40 min swim today - and really wasn't feeling it either - so 30 mins today. At least I jumped in the pool. :smiley:
  • journey2ahealthierme
    journey2ahealthierme Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @KacyCarpe = how's the recovery going?
  • journey2ahealthierme
    journey2ahealthierme Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Still swimming over here. 3 weeks from '5k day'. Got my white belt grading in KB the following day! That was well planned!!! But at that point I'll be the fittest I've ever been so regardless of the outcomes in either, I'll celebrate that.
  • KacyCarpe
    KacyCarpe Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    @KacyCarpe = how's the recovery going?

Thank you for asking! Pretty good overall. I'm back to walking normally. I can even jump! Now it's time to rebuild my lost strength and really get things healed up. I'm glad that spring is coming and it will get easier to walk outdoors.

I love your attitude that you will succeed in both the run and the grading. Of course you will!!! B)