December Damage Control

Options
zenobia9777
zenobia9777 Posts: 277 Member
edited December 2022 in Social Groups
My goal is to report on the food I resist eating because I realize it is not worth the calories.

I am going to try to work on my yoga balance at least 5 days a week so that I work on it on days I do not go to yoga.

I'm pretty sure I have some inner ear issues but that doesn't mean I can't improve my balance if I work on it more.

Join me in having a happy December that is mindful and relaxed and devoid of the stress that causes you to eat bad food!

Replies

• k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting December @zenobia9777! And congrats on your 5k! Why do you feel it wasn't fast enough?! I'd say that for someone who doesn't run much, droppng a sudden 5km in 41min is amazing. And....you do you. You're getting the heart, joint and muscle benefits as much as the speedy guys. Spend your fitness minutes on what makes you happiest (but it is good to mix things up and challenge yourself now and then). Consistency is more important than speed in my books. Sign up for another and see if you can shave off that one minute. That would be amazing!

@SherryReuter, I generally alternate strength and cardio (running or soccer) days and do a deep or light stretch on my "rest" days, usually the day after a soccer game. Before anyone gets a idea that I play World Cup, this is an old recreational ladies league - but we're out there to win and it's a great workout. Challenging little muscles that I wouldn't otherwise!

And it's cold where I live in Ontario 🇨🇦 Canada and is about to get much much colder. We ski, snowshoe, ice skate, go sledding etc. I even keep up my running on snow packed trails - it's beautiful. Shoveling snow is a great full body workout! it took my a long time to get used to the cold (im originally from balmy Vancouver BC) but I enjoy the cold weather workouts now. Better to breathe in crisp air when you're sweaty and working hard than breathe in humid heavy heat IMO.
  • k8richly
    Options
    And I forgot to state my December goals;
    Basically maintenance. Keep up bootcamp x2 week, running 1 or x2 a week, strength 2x week and a deep stretch at x1 week. I must log accurately. Wine or beer x1 a week.

Heres a December challenge: NO cheese. It has the same fat content as butter and we wouldn't eat straight butter, now would we!? (I would've said NO chocolate but that's not going to happen in December)
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Partners make you fat! Well, that’s a lie and cop out but I’m just saying it for today to make myself feel better! 🤣🤣

Ive come to realize that my downfall is reuniting with husband after weeks and weeks away taking care of my parents. Once we’re reunited - it’s happy time - and husband who loves LOvES to cook will present me with different recipes, wine, ice cream and I feel too guilty to say no - as I’ve been gone - and some of this food is just darn yummy!

Not sure what the fix it. Eat but with smaller portions I guess. Frustrated as I was down a couple of pounds then up today - World Cup snacking (husbands fault) and then a wonderful dinner (caasoulet?).

So yeah, it’s not his fault. Just have to come up with better strategies. Help!

@zenobia9777 - Thanks for and love the title of the December thread. Congrats on your run. You should be proud!

@k8richly You’re inspiring me to get out in the cold more. Been back a week and haven’t left the house. 50 degrees is cold - but you’re right - I do feel different when I’m out in the cold breathing crisp air.

Damage control starts today!!!👍💪💪😬
  • k8richly
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim it's all in the clothes/shoes. Get yourself properly dressed / equipped for the cold and it is suddenly a wonderful workout. And a nice reason to go shopping 😀

I stopped trying to keep up with my husband's drinking and snacking. For a couple years I thought I needed to have a beer or eat chips with him to be social / connect and then BOOM 💥 suddenly I'd gained 15 pounds. Well, screw that. There's no way my little frame can eat or drink like him. And was all in my head! So my strategy was just to have half of whatever he was eating if he made dinner. Or drop the bun from the burger. Or drink light beer / sparkling water. You get the idea! Good luck!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 709 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    December start:

Early 60s, 5'-8" (ish)
    SW (02.10.22) - 150 lbs
    Last Month's SW - 143.6 (11.02.22)
    CW - 141.8 (11.30.22)
    Dec GW - 136.8
    Final GW - 125 lbs
    I'm still working on getting an exercise routine back into place. Been getting better at getting to the gym, but still not enough.
    My eating has been going pretty well, I haven't been snacking much and only had a couple of really off days, so I'm hoping to keep up the good work on that end.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @Antiopelle, glad to hear you're feeling better, and congrats on the weight loss.
    @SherryRueter, I usually take one or two rest days. The nutritionist at my gym suggests we take a rest day from cardio and ST, but use the day for stretching and maybe a little core workout. IDK, I generally do my core workout on an ST day, but I like the idea of a day focused on stretching, I definitely need it, I'm not very limber :#
    I'm originally from NJ, but just moved to SC a year ago.
    @HoneyBadger302, glad to hear your move is almost complete - I imagine it'll take a little while for you both to figure out the best way to arrange all of your stuff together.
    @k8richly, I like your new pic, but I have to say I don't miss the cold. I've hung onto a couple of winter hats since my move, but if I don't use them this winter, I may get rid of all but one (may as well hang onto one for when we travel back north).
    @happyness4me2, Congrats on reaching your goals, and on the 3.5 lb. loss.
    @CeeBeeSlim, sounds like the 12-week program was a success - are you planning on doing another one? And I agree, partners make you fat :D Mine keeps bringing junk into the house and I have to keep putting it into a cabinet where I won't always be walking past it.
    @zenobia9777, Great job with the 5K! I did a C25K walk program on Sparkpeople years ago, but hurt something in my knee when I started adding jogging and never got back to jogging since it's healed. It's something I'm hoping to start training for in the spring. I have balance issues too, what kind of things do you do to help with balance?
  • zenobia9777
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 thanks for reminding me that I was going to try to balance today

In circuit training, sometimes we do a deadlift where you gently! fall forward on one leg. Holding a weight can actually make you feel more stable when you do this.

It's sort of a warrior 3 pose, but one hand holds a weight as you pivot down. One arm goes back. I wish I could find a video of it

In yoga, I try doing the warrior 3 pose, tree or just holding my knee up in front to balance on one leg.

My brother-in-law swears by brushing his teeth while standing on one leg.

@k8richly thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I have not really been training for it but I hoped I would do a little better because of the circuit training. It's not a fair test so I should do the couch to 5K and give it another shot.

I read a very interesting article on why it is harder for older people to run fast and I will try to post it. It is still a very good challenge.
    I can do a mean sprint!

I'm totally with you on exercising in the cold. Humidity absolutely sucks the energy out of me.

@CeeBeeSlim, my daughter told me that in order to deal with social situations where everybody was eating she was going to take up crocheting!!

Thanks, everybody for the encouragement, and for joining me here!

• zenobia9777
    edited December 2022
    Options
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/healthy-living/2015/10/03/the-science-behind-why-runners-slow-down-with-age/

There are some famous exceptions such as the 64 year old Japanese woman who ran a full .marathon in less than three hours!

https://olympics.com/en/news/athletics-marathon-women-yugeta-mariko-profile

And this lady can do a mile in under 6 minutes!

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a20850348/kathryn-martin-runs-blazing-fast-mile-at-age-65/

Apparently these are my heroes!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hello all and welcome to December!

Me, the fur kids, and all of our stuff is here, still a TON of settling in to do, but we can chip away at that a little bit every day.

Workout stuff is all still buried, and the place where it will go is still more full of stuff than not, so workouts are going to start slow and light - obviously still plenty one can do, but trying not to overwhelm myself, but it's on my critical task list again starting today!

I am trying a meal planning desktop app and got most groceries this weekend. Working on cooking and stocking a low(er) carb meal plan again - not the cheapest way to eat, but definitely the way I have always felt the most satiated and lost weight the easiest.

Eating lower carb works well in that I will feel more full, longer, but the hard part is that I don't always feel full right when I'm done eating - but 15-30 minutes later I feel very full and satisfied. So adjusting to that is the hardest part, especially at first.

December goals: Purposeful workouts (even if short) 5x/week, and cooked meals being on plan. I'm not going to stress about the occasional meal out or with family over the holiday, as long as what I'm preparing at home is on plan.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    Ahhh.... here's the group! thank to the one who created it!!!

Dec. Goals - to hit nutrition hard. No time to mess around, lets Get R Done!
  • zenobia9777
    Options
    @HoneyBadger302 you are at a good stage now. Feels good to set it all up the way you need to.

That meal planning app sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it goes

My report is that I spent about 15 minutes on the following yesterday as planned
    Calf raises
    Ankle flexions
    Warrior 3 pose
    Tree pose
    Stand up with one knee held up in front
    Stand on one leg and deadlift with one weight leaning forward

So today was yoga and I did fractionally better in Warrior 3 poses

Yesterday was circuit training and my attitude was bad, but I got through it!

I didn't do much Sunday, but I walked the dogs about a mile and 3/4.

Expended a lot of energy over the last few days doing decorations in the yard. This would have been less energetic if I had planned better!

So far this week I have done better on my food.

I'm going to finish out the year by celebrating all the accomplishments this year in fitness and weight loss.

The non-scale victories are the most important in my opinion!!!

• SherryRueter
    Options

Saw this on instagram and wanted to share it with you all!

You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, but that doesn't really give you any guidance on how to do that. So here are 6 ways to create that change.

1. Cut out all liquid calories. The creamer in your coffee, the OJ for breakfast and the "Healthy" smoothie. There are a *Kitten* ton of calories in in them. Go with any zero calorie liquid instead.
    2. Eat your protein. 25-30 grams at breakfast, which will help you feel more full all day long. You will also have a TIHS ton less cravings as the day progresses. Which will lead to overall less calories consumed.
    3. Buy the leanest cuts of meats, not chicken thighs or 70% ground beef. Fish is also highly recommended. This automatically cuts calories without trying.
    4. Limit yourself to 2 snack per day. Most people overeat but NOT at meals. Its the snacking all damn day that gets them. Make it 1 or 2 snacks a day.
    5. Eat LOW calories, high volume foods. Things like watermelon, strawberries, veggies, salads, raspberries, cauliflower. These fill you up without the calories. AND if doing a salad, watch the dressings.
    6. Drink your water people! A glass of water before you eat each meal or snack. Sometimes your hunger is merely thirst because you are dehydrated.
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim
    PiYo sounds interesting. Any YouTube videos to recommend? For some reason, I just can’t sick with yoga. Dunno - too type A, mind wanders - ironically it makes me antsy
    [/color]
    Same here... PiYo is a little faster. Let me dig a little before I just give you something blindly. I know that I have a few Youtubes that I did....but I want to see if they are worth looking at.... I'm not sure how good of an instructor I was :) I would SOOO love to get back into instructing.... but I'm in a new town (memphis) and I'm apprehensive about returning to it. anyway... I'll get back to you. I hope I don't forget.
  • Happyness4me2
    Happyness4me2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    December goals:

SW (September) - 138.8 lbs
    CW - 133.4 lbs
    Dec GW - 131 lbs
    Final GW - 120 lbs

For December I want to get in 16 weight training sessions, 15 walks or cardio sessions, and I want to continue logging my daily weight.
    I already have 4 weight sessions and 4 cardio sessions in the book for the month. If I meet my goals this month I'm buying myself a new fitness tracker watch. My current one is breaking. I also want to maintain my low carb nutrition plan with the exception of Christmas Day and my bookclub Christmas party which is tomorrow night. Let's do this!
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    @ceebeeslim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVQdwRgs64Y

That's not me. I think she's really good. I'm just a newbie and not that good.

I'm at:
  • zenobia9777
    Options
    @SherryRueter that video looks inspiring!

@Happyness4me2 your goals are also inspiring. I am a book club member. We don't meet again until February. Currently working on Us Against You by Fredrick Backman. How about you?

Today my goal is to do my balance routine. Also I picked up an exercise for Wednesday by going on the encouragement to try couch to 5K. I did not count the pace, which is just as well because that is not what I should be focusing on.

I completed my 15 minutes and 30 seconds of intervals. The bonus was to see the beautiful fall weather.

Then I walked the rest of the way home so I got in quite a bit of time

Have a beautiful day..
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    In circuit training, sometimes we do a deadlift where you gently! fall forward on one leg. Holding a weight can actually make you feel more stable when you do this.
    It's sort of a warrior 3 pose, but one hand holds a weight as you pivot down. One arm goes back. I wish I could find a video of it
    In yoga, I try doing the warrior 3 pose, tree or just holding my knee up in front to balance on one leg.
    My brother-in-law swears by brushing his teeth while standing on one leg.
    @zenobia9777, thanks for these suggestions, I like the while-brushing-teeth suggestion but I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to try to balance and move my arm at the same time :D
    I'll definitely try the warrior-deadlift move.
    Thank you for the inspiring running links!
    @SherryRueter, I like those ideas you posted. I definitely need to add a few low cal, high volume foods to my days. Thanks for posting the PIYO links.
    @Happyness4me2, Your December plan sounds great!
    I took my first yoga class today at the gym. I've done yoga at home with videos, but have never taken a class before - it was great! The instructor was fantastic and I'm hoping she stays on in the new year (she said she would be doing classes until the end of Dec. and then maybe into next year). I'm going to sign up for them for the rest of the month on Wednesday and Friday.
  • Happyness4me2
    Happyness4me2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @zenobia9777 how did your balance routine go? I'll have to add your book to my list. Tonight we're discussing "The Girl in the Mirror" by Rose Carlyle. For our January meeting we are reading "Pachinko" by Min Jin Lee.

@SparkSpringtime69 I usually prefer to workout at home but yoga is the one thing I like to do in a class setting. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
  • zenobia9777
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 glad the yoga went well. I think that kind of stretching is the one thing I absolutely can't afford to give up. I'm sure there are other types of exercises that are good for that, but I'm used to yoga.

@Happyness4me2 thanks for the book suggestions! The Backman book is part of a trilogy, so you might keep that in mind.

I demonstrated my balance moves with my sister yesterday. That is a good reinforcement. Also the ankle and calf exercises. My problem is making sure I do it at the same time every day so I don't forget.

Today at yoga my balancing poses did go better.

Then I did the week one couch to 5K afterward because I was already sweaty.
    I'm going to do the same route every time and see how I improve over the weeks of the program. I think I was a little tired because I had already been to yoga, but it is hard to space it out with my current routine.

I think the links about the older runners are interesting but I do remember they are outliers!!! I just want to push myself mentally and physically, and running is compelling to me. It's probably some kind of stress management compulsion!

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Still a lot of life stuff going on, but making sure I stay focused with all the distractions!

Meal planning going much better with the app I'm trying out - will probably sign up once my trial runs out as I'm loving it.

Short, purposeful exercise getting added back into my days.

GW: 128-135 ish (TBD)

CW:
    12/8/22: 154.4

Weight isn't great, but honestly I'm not upset by that after the past month and all the craziness and eating on the go and lack of routine. Body is still adapting to the eating plan change a bit too (I can tell there's extra bloating right now), but I know that'll flush out over the next couple weeks.