Form check videos

Options

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    So, doesn't look good? Not breaking at the knee early enough? I can do wider stance and get lower but I thought wide stance wasn't so good? I try to get my butt back so I'm using the posterior chain muscles and not so much quad dominance. Good thing I'm gonna see a trainer soon.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    So, doesn't look good?

well, don't quote ME about it. the great queen of the backsquat struggle. it doesn't look like you're going to damage yourself and foot/hip angle are very personal things. i'm still trying to figure out/diagnose what is actually happening differently for me now that i'm wearing squat shoes, but afaik at the moment it's really coming down to that thing where i rotate my femurs outwards, and for me that has meant turning my feet out. idk why my own feet like to be wider apart, but they do.

tried to upload a clip of my own so you can see how i'm approaching it, but i got 'file not allowed'. may not like the wmv format or whatever this is, so oh well.

i also have to do a set and then immediately check how it looked while the sensory impression is fresh in my mind. my visual brain has literally no idea what my neurological brain is actually trying to tell it about where the different pieces of me are in space and relation to one another. so for me it's become a very incremental trial-and-error kind of process to try correct things.

• Sumiblue
    Options
    I try to do Alan Thrall's stance, like you need to, um, squat in the woods. I do the whole thumb-less grip, try to bend the bar around my body, screw my feet into the floor, try to spread the floor with my feet. So many cues.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I try to do Alan Thrall's stance, like you need to, um, squat in the woods.

heh. i guess we all squat differently. what happens if you just drop into the little-kid squat? you know, atg without any weight anywhere and your muscles relaxed? do your feet and legs want to do something different, or do they stay the same?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    also, just gonna say: how i squat in the woods depends partly on what i'm squatting to do. and also on whether or not underwear/pants are in play.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Overall it looks good except a bit high. It looks like you might have some knee valgus. Wider stance is more comfortable for some people. I use a wide-ish stance a bit outside shoulder width.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I'll try a bit wider, thanks for the input @canadianlbs & Fittreelol. I don't seem to get much lower than parallel. Short people problems? I like the shoes but squatting in them is going to take some time to get used to.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/tBu7UZcTp4g

Wondering if anyone would like to take a look at my squat?
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm no expert at all, but it looks good to me? Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge will come along and comment for you :-)
    Also had to use my converter to see what 35kg is in pounds, 77 thats great!
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Certainly no expert here - but, ninenines, squat looks good. It looks like you should go lower, based on what I've seen on Alan Thrall. However, he does say that everyone's squat looks different. A view from the front would also be helpful.

Just my few cents worth!
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/wTVz9NDH-QASquats at body weight. Any thoughts? I got some Adidas Powerlifting shoes and squats feel better. Song was random, I swear!

Sumiblue - your arms are awesome! Squat looked good, too.
  • ninenines
    Options
    Thanks @5minty and @lwhayes820 I appreciate you looking! I've also had some good feedback in the Eat, Train, Progress forums.

I was watching lots of Alan Thrall videos over the weekend! And one where he is all for going all the way down *kitten* to grass. I'm of two minds on that. I tend to do both these days, going *kitten* to grass on warm up sets and also with Goblet Squats. I find it much easier to get low and stay balanced with front weighted squats.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    @ninenines you're moving the weight towards your toes in the hole and a bit on the way up. That might be due to the shoes, but should be fixed regardless. You also have some pelvic tilt going on. I can't tell exactly when it starts due to the safeties, but you might want to cut depth while you work on that. Doing high bar you should be able to keep your wrists fairly straight.

@Sumiblue Solid squats. You're a smidge higher than parallel, although for general health that might not be a huge deal. Your barpath and bar placement look good overall. Also nice arms! You might try videoing yourself from the front to watch your knees. If they "cave" it's actually internal hip rotation and you will be physically unable to hit depth.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks for the input, gals! I posted a new squat video at Eat Train Progress. Still have bugs to work out.
  • ninenines
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback @Fittreelol I'll keep working on it. :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I'm so sad... I concentrated so hard on my squat form that I didn't focus on my rows... I just dropped 20 lbs and still struggled... do you have any videos that are really good at describing a proper Pendlay row?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I'm so sad... I concentrated so hard on my squat form that I didn't focus on my rows... I just dropped 20 lbs and still struggled... do you have any videos that are really good at describing a proper Pendlay row?

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg&app=desktop
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Please check my form on Deadlift. I'm aware the neck position is not correct right off the bat. But any and all advice is welcome. I've been going very slow on progressing on DL because I'm afraid of poor form and injuries. Ready to improve!

https://youtu.be/srGzplMAgJ0
  • canadianlbs
    edited July 2016
    Options
    i like your back :) i'm not an expert, but you might want to try 'setting' your lats before you pull. as usual, i'm going by stuff that i recognize from my own chronic-forgetfulness list. you look like you're having a thing i recognize from the sensation of it: kind of a shoulders-left-behind feeling right after i've committed myself to the rep. it looks like the bar may also be losing touch with your legs once it's clear of your knees, too, but i'm just guessing because that's another sensation i'm familiar with when i make this mistake.

when i remember to engage my lats, it feels like that opens me up right across the front of my chest all the way into the angles of my shoulder joint. or even like it pulls my chest a little bit 'through' the bar. then when i pull it's a sensation like i'm just naturally bringing the entire front of my body forwards - again, 'through' the bar is the way it feels to me. i'm not sure what it feels like when i don't do it . . . i just know that i don't feel like my core is doing nearly as much of the work.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Please have a look at this video and offer any tips you may have.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/M_k77E-BZSg