Form check videos

Options

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    How do I load a video pls?

Upload it onto Youtube and then link the video into a post.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Ok here is a side view of my squat.

I posted it on the facebook group so will start with what they said:

Wrong shoes - check
    Don't step so far from the safety - did that just for the video so could see my feet properly
    Consider low bar instead of high bar here - will try tomorrow and see how that goes
    And to look up or above eye level instead of down - also to experiment tomorrow.

Anything else you ladies see?

https://youtu.be/bLBhc8RdiF8

• stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ok here is a side view of my squat.

Anything else you ladies see?

One of the critiques I got on mine a few pages back was butt wink. I did some research on it, and I practice to avoid it by placing a hand near the bottom of my spine and feeling for when my butt starts to tuck under while squatting with no weight. Concentrating on keeping my core tight the whole way through also helps me. I noticed it on a couple of your reps, but not all of them.

Hopefully you'll get more suggestions from more experienced lifters. You looked really strong and handled the weight well!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're not keeping your weight in your heels and your decent is not controlled. I do notice the buttwink on reps that you break parallel, but on other reps it looks like you don't quite hit it.
  • stapark
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a dumb question? What type of plates are those? When I first started, I was using non-olympic plates. Because they were so close to the ground, it was really difficult to do deads at heavier weights. I switched to olympic plates, but they still don't seem any taller.
    Does that make sense?
  • stapark
    Options
    fabfindz05 wrote: »
    Can I ask a dumb question? What type of plates are those? When I first started, I was using non-olympic plates. Because they were so close to the ground, it was really difficult to do deads at heavier weights. I switched to olympic plates, but they still don't seem any taller.
    Does that make sense?

I have a 35lb and 2.5lb Olympic plate on each side. I'm not sure there's any difference in height on Olympic vs non-Olympic plates, but if you need the bar up higher for deadlifts you can use two blocks. When my kids do DL with an empty bar I prop it up on 2 boxes.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    @stapark It's hard to tell a lot based on the angle, but it does look like you have significant knee cave on the way up. Focus on pushing your knees out. If you still have an issue then it might be due to muscle activation issues or something else.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ok ladies. I'm hitting a plateau and really struggling. The first video is a few reps from my second set. Seems ok, but not very deep (let me know what else you see). Second video is third set and my knees are everywhere and not even getting close to parallel. Would you significantly deload for a while or just reduce volume?

https://youtu.be/HbKmBJUBEeg

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    idk if you got help on this . . . . it looks like your knees are not travelling in the same groove as your toes in the first place, to me. that could be why you're finding it harder to keep their position as you get tired, because it's kind of arbitrary what that position is. ideally, you almost want the angle of your feet to set a kind of track or a groove that your femurs will mirror as your knees go forward. hope that make sense.

so you can try tinkering with that idea, because knees-above-toes always makes me feel more stable and like my muscles have better leverage position to work from. incidentally, you don't have to point your feet at a specific angle just because someone said to do that. where yours go is more a function of how your personal pelvis and hip sockets are built, so if you find it easier to bring your toes in that could work too.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ok, here goes. I've never worked with a trainer on lifts so I was hoping for some advice on form. So… Squats first. I appreciate any pointers and tips!

ETA: I don't know how to post a video
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ok, here goes. I've never worked with a trainer on lifts so I was hoping for some advice on form. So… Squats first. I appreciate any pointers and tips!

You can paste a YouTube link
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/TUDcIZd_3uU
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/TUDcIZd_3uU

How long have you been squatting for?
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    Since mid august. Is it all wrong?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Since mid august. Is it all wrong?

No. I'm going to try to give you some feedback in a moment but I want to watch it again.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH. That's a really nice thing to take the time to do and I super appreciate it.

My ankle mobility is for sure an issue, I've broken my ankles more times than I like to admit doing stupid *kitten*. Interestingly, the breathing I changed just for the video because I wanted to have my timing even and sometimes I need a few breaths at the top. Unjustified and stupid embarrassment is why I may have been extra timid too.

I will start with goblet squats right away. What would you consider high volume. I'm going to keep the video and take it with me for the next round.

Thank you again!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I wouldn't do them at high-volume, I would do them at high frequency. Apologies if I said volume instead of frequency in the video.

Just make sure you're not reaching high levels of fatigue so you can do it often and so rep quality is high.

3-4 sets of 4 or so with a light DB
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone. Today a girl asked to use the rack after me. Since she seemed nice I asked her to film my final squat set today for a form check. I would really appreciate any feedback, and if you can't tell by the weight on the bar I'm really new and a little unsure. Thank you ☺️

https://youtu.be/sB1LaBBj-gI