Form check videos

Options

Replies

• Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I cannot say much about your form, but I am so stealing the idea with the plates under your feet during bench press. I am also not able to reach the floor properly and was already thinking about what to do about that. So, yeah, thanks :-)
  • nosegirl
    nosegirl Posts: 9
    Options
    I cannot say much about your form, but I am so stealing the idea with the plates under your feet during bench press. I am also not able to reach the floor properly and was already thinking about what to do about that. So, yeah, thanks :-)

Glad I could help while asking for help! They should make special benches for short people :)
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    I agree! Today I did my Squats between two benches, because the sqautrack sidethingies are too high for me...

short people problems *lesigh* :-D
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I agree! Today I did my Squats between two benches, because the sqautrack sidethingies are too high for me...

short people problems *lesigh* :-D

I'm 5'7", but we have a couple of boxes at our gym that I put on either side of the bench for my feet. I have to or I don't feel stable on the bench.
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    ah, okay,, than it´s not only a problem for the minis :-)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to all who previously posted their vids! By taping and watching mine against yours (and reading the critique's), I quickly saw where I needed to make changes and I am excited to move forward. I think I'm going to see a good amount of improvement with these changes. Again, thank you!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/GTsyPa6bxa8

Here is my last DL @ 180...I think my back is rounding still I will probably deload down to 160 and work on that...

@fit just read your question..no those are my "fake" 45s...2@35lbs,and 25lb plates bar is 20..I weighed it...hehe.

ETA: as well I wore socks today...bleck and my feet were slipping...if anyone else can see the rounding I am definately deloading...
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    There is the slightest rounding only I wouldn't worry about it personally, form didn't break down and if you are feeling it during the lift you can correct when needed. You are still getting your legs under so you are not completely pulling with your lower back.

I personally wouldn't deload, if you are a little unsure do another week at the same weight :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I can't feel the round just thought I saw it on rep 2-4. I will stay here another week...no socks next time.

and now that my leg feels better I feel more comfortable getting lower from the start and concentrating on the push rather than it being a pull.

thanks girlie
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Here is my last DL @ 180...I think my back is rounding still I will probably deload down to 160 and work on that...

Well here's my $.02 - I watched it a couple of times-you have a decent setup but as soon as you lift that barbell off the floor your back rounds. Really work on keeping TIGHT, especially in your chest which by doing so will naturally but your back in extension. If it were me, I would deload it to 160-170 but I'm very, very conservative about form and if I don't like something I see on video and can't correct it at the current weight, I deload it. Also, don't think because you can't "feel" the back rounding that it's okay.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Well here's my $.02 - I watched it a couple of times-you have a decent setup but as soon as you lift that barbell off the floor your back rounds. Really work on keeping TIGHT, especially in your chest which by doing so will naturally but your back in extension. If it were me, I would deload it to 160-170 but I'm very, very conservative about form and if I don't like something I see on video and can't correct it at the current weight, I deload it. Also, don't think because you can't "feel" the back rounding that it's okay.

I can feel it...I think it might be time for a more significant deload which I don't mind at all...160 sounds like a good weight.

6 months in and still in a deficet I would much rather get my form correct on the lighter weights then have to deload while at maintenance and miss those gains...
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options

I can feel it...I think it might be time for a more significant deload which I don't mind at all...160 sounds like a good weight.

6 months in and still in a deficet I would much rather get my form correct on the lighter weights then have to deload while at maintenance and miss those gains...

stef, you misspelled that. it's gainzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...!
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I am horribly embarrassed to post a video here but I want to make sure that I am not doing anything horribly wrong. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nkr1G7p6lI
  • girlie100
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I am horribly embarrassed to post a video here but I want to make sure that I am not doing anything horribly wrong. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you. :)

Your hips are coming up quicker than your torso, which not fixed now why the weight is manageable will just get worse to the point you are performing a good morning to get the bar back up.

Your depth is not a problem so I would look to get your torso more upright. When you place the bar on your back for set up try moving it a little higher, it can sit nicely under that bit of bone that sticks out at the top of the shoulder blade.

When you unrack it and set up make sure you are as upright as possible before you drop.

When you go to squat break at your knees rather than shooting your hips back, you want your knees to initiate the movement so your bum drops down rather than back.

Try this all out in your warm ups to get a feel for the motion as it may feel a bit strange to start off with.

Happy lifting :drinker:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

I think girlie hit on it all.
  • dennie24
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response. I knew that my hips came up a bit faster than my torso on a couple reps but I didn't think it was happening all that often. It is something I have been working on for awhile. I have the bar placed so low because it was causing me some pain when I had it higher and even when I had it higher my torso was still leaning a bit forward. I'll try working on being a bit more upright. I guess I'm not sure what breaking at the knees means. I have read that on here a few times and I thought that's what I've been doing. Thank you again for helping me!
  • girlie100
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response. I knew that my hips came up a bit faster than my torso on a couple reps but I didn't think it was happening all that often. It is something I have been working on for awhile. I have the bar placed so low because it was causing me some pain when I had it higher and even when I had it higher my torso was still leaning a bit forward. I'll try working on being a bit more upright. I guess I'm not sure what breaking at the knees means. I have read that on here a few times and I thought that's what I've been doing. Thank you again for helping me!

breaking at knees rather than hips.

When you unrack and are ready to squat, first get yourself upright as possible, then start the movement with your knees and let you bum drop rather than pushing it back.

If you start by pushing your hips back it will make your torso move forward causing in effect more work from the squat without much gain.

If you can't correct the forward lean by moving the bar up a bit it might be worth de-loading and giving high bar a try. But if you do high bar you have to be upright otherwise the bar is on the back of your neck.
  • dennie24
    Options
    girlie100, does this look better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9afPqEshZIQ
    It was a warm up set but if it looks better then at least I will know what to watch for in my working sets. I forgot to pause the music before recording so I apologize about that.
  • girlie100
    Options
    girlie100, does this look better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9afPqEshZIQ
    It was a warm up set but if it looks better then at least I will know what to watch for in my working sets. I forgot to pause the music before recording so I apologize about that.

Much better, much more upright at the start, you are getting good depth and a nice stretch at the bottom. Just be careful with the pushing your bum back. As you push your bum back your torso will lean forward and you want to minimise this lean as much as possible to get maximum drive out of the quad muscle. It will take a little while to get used to the movement so you might want to deload your working weight just to drill in the movement pattern.

:happy:
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any OHP vids they can post? I'm still not sure if I'm doing mine correctly; where is the right place on the bar to grip? I know the bar should rest right about on the top of the sternum, but I'm not sure if I've been putting my forearms in the right position. Bro at the gym told me yesterday to only bring the bar down to my nose then push back up (ummm, no, I don't think so) and to basically have my ring fingers on the non-rough ring on the bar. The wider grip did feel better, but I still did them with full ROM (down to my chest, up all the way, etc).