Jumpstart January 2023 Challenge

Options

Replies

• LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    my idea of quantity to eat & my eyeballs are still bigger than my needs. I am using the tracker to reign in quantity. Currently living in a motel with crockpot, microwave and tiny fridge so usings some convenience foods like pre-bagged salad greens, small frozen steamable veggies, pre-roasted chickens for a couple meals and cook down the rest of it in the crockpot - makes an awesome broth to stuff with frozen veggies and more torn chicken for soup. The other significant problem I am having with convenience foods/sauces is the salt content.... i am blowing through the limits... Really looking forward to a regular kitchen/fridge again and some grilling this summer - we use a handful of woodchips to smoke and discovered i adore grilled veggies - adds so much flavor... (grew up on boiled, no spice, just butter overcooked canned veggies mostly - hated them, so this has been a real shift to find non-starchy veggies beyond green salad that fits with keto/lo-carb eating.) Day 4 2023. ok. want a lot more tho... so struggling that way...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    CW: 184.8
    so I have lost 4lb in a couple days. No wonder my skin was hurting so bad.

anyway..
    Jan 4:
    Logged Food: :+1:
    Exercise as Planned: :+1: Strength training and walk vids, 1hr 20 min or so
    At or Under Carb Level: :+1:
    At or Under Calorie Limit: :+1:

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    SW-175
    CW 173.5 I'll take any movement at this point

Setting timers and reminders on my phone to move or lift some dumbbells throughout the day is helping. Thursday night spin class is now part of my routine and looking through my gym's classes to find a Tuesday option. I joined a Clean & Lean 10 week group challenge with my trainer and recruited a friend to do it with me. So far so good on food & logging this week.
  • LifeChangz
    Options
    you're both doing gr8! crashed last night. dusting off and going more today.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    @LifeChangz i’m with you on cutting back on volume I consume. I’m realizing it is habit to eat until I’m overly full and don’t like the feeling.

This week is going fine, but I’m on @baconslave’s roller coaster known as the scale. Oh well, this too will even out. I think I have a touch of the keto flu. Feeling very tired today even though I slept well. Less caffeine could also be the culprit. I’m sure I’ll fell normal in a few days.
  • nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm doing really while this week hoping Monday weigh in goes better this next . I'd gained two pounds this week. My daughter been making me get up and exercise and I've been doing more veggies this week. I've been under my calories and hit my fiber on point today.
  • LifeChangz
    edited January 2023
    Options
    sounds like everyone is getting going well - yay!

@tishsmith101 ~ find anything interesting for Tues nights? before covid our public pool offered a water zumba class - 1st time I went, it was a riot, came home & told hubby - I was going back - it surprised me how much it helped after a week or 2.... just adding those 2 classes.

@taylok23 ~ nods - that 'eating to overfull' really took me by surprise too- realized I was unconsciously going for that 'just ate a feast' feeling.... when i fresh started in Dec - i actually had a little anxiety that the amount I dished up was NOT enough!!! lol ~ told myself to eat it and wait and see if it actually did satisfy me.... and usually it does. that surprised me too - but the feeling after is way different... stuffed is not actually as physically comfortable as not stuffed. Hope you're past the keto flu soon... felt like mine lasted, fatigue wise about 2 weeks.

@nanerkay ~ how awesome your daughter is with you on this... sounds like you're hitting all the points.

@baconslave ~ thank you for hosting the challenge... it is nice to chat with other people who are doing a simular approach.

I struggled again yesterday - wanted to just eat lots and just quit already, lol. trying more today :)
  • baconslave
    Options
    Dang it. Where I been at?
    CW: 184.0- Been here 2 days so this looks like where I am for the moment
    I was holding 4.8lb of water and I'm not even down to keto carb levels yet :grimace:

Jan 5:
    Exercise as Planned: :+1: 1hr 20 min of walkie vids

Jan 6:
    Exercise as Planned: :+1: Strength training 2 mile of walk vids, 1hr 20 min or so

Today will be a sanity day where I won't log, I just won't overeat, which is all according to plan. Saturdays are rest days too. I went pretty hard yesterday during the workout.
    Tomorrow tracking will recommence.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Elliptical yesterday, bowling tonight. Met with the fitness push group for our weigh ins and measurements. Now I have identified goals to work toward within 12 weeks. Did some food prep this s afternoon as well a cloud bread with protein powder, keto peanut butter cookies, ham and cheese egg cups and choc chip cookie dough fat bombs.
    Hubby also bought me a new chair for my home office, very productive weekend!
  • LifeChangz
    Options
    post-3day celebration/stress weekend. fresh starting.
  • lifeitup
    lifeitup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been with MyFitnessPal since 2019, but have not been active. I have decided this is the year I get in shape, healthy shape for a new beginning. I am excited to be here and looking forward to sharing what is working and not working. I have invited my daughter and her sister-in-law to join with me so we can take this journey together along with all of you! My goal is to do more protein and fewer carbs...I also want to start exercising...lofty goals but with some support and determination, I know I will be successful!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania.
    Been MIA for a few months but still logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21.
    Took a while to find you again since my absence. Thank you again @baconslave for keeping this going.

Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused. I bought a NEW to me, gently used, Commercial PreCor EFX 835 Elliptical. It was delivered the beginning of November, as others here know I wore my previous 10+ year old one out from my extensive workouts. Stopped using it mid November to get my Christmas shopping done earlier than my norm. I was planning go start back up a week ago but had a GI bug and very weak. I restarted today but very slow at 45 minutes and 3 miles compared to my 3 hour historical workout sessions. I will MAYBE workup to it again.

Heaviest weight 255 lbs, twice. :-(
    9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs
    4/6/22- 147.6 lbs (107.4 lbs lost) I did NOT have a surgery. Did Keto.
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs

1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    1/2/23- 213.4 lbs
    1/3/23- 207.4 lbs
    1/4/23- 205.8 lbs
    1/5/23- 205.8 lbs
    1/6/23- 201.4 lbs
    1/7/23- 202.4 lbs
    1/8/23- 204.4 lbs
  • VictoriaNWest
    VictoriaNWest Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I decided to go full keto (<20 net carbs) this time instead of low carb (<100 net carbs) and it's easier! I lost 5#s in 1 week, and I'm 65.
    I'm doing 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs at 1600 calories a day.
    Favorite new recipes: I bought a 3# pork belly for $10. cooked it at 300 f. for 3 hours. Then I divided it into 1.5 inch slices (froze most), cut up a slice into chunks in the morning, and fry it up with an egg. Delicious, cheaper than bacon, and no added chemicals.
    Nutmeg coffee - 1 egg yolk, 1 Tbl butter in a big cup. Add 1.5 cups hot coffee. Immerse blend it. Then add 1 tablespoon half and half, cinnamon, and fresh nutmeg. Delicious!
  • LifeChangz
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Yum @VictoriaNWest - gr8 start! bet the porkbelly would be good on the grill this summer!

@swimmom_1 ~ looks like you're off and going!

@tishsmith101 ~ sounds like you have an awesome plan going! Haven't heard of cloud bread... anything bread perks my earballs up, lol

@baconslave ~ how did your rest weekend go?

@lifeitup ~ welcome! hope they do join you & here too - more the merrier - i find it helpful to be with people who are doing similar things - no one in my extended family is working on their eating and they invite me out/offer foods/eatings out at their old favs - not willing to change - I had to stop waiting for other people...

last week I was moving from keto (<50g) to low-carb (<100g) and it bumped me out of ketosis, i felt weak, kind of like the keto flu and appetite and urges to eat extra increased a lot. Going to drop back to keto for awhile and focus on keto-mediterranean plan food choices. Generally break my 50g carbs up at 12 to 15g/meal over 4 meals a day.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Sounds like everyone is jumping in with both feet to kick off the new year. Remember, this is a marathon and weight loss/ body change takes time. I’m an instant gratification kinda girl but alas, I’ve been recomping slowly for the last 3 years. My keto flu fatigue was much better today but a long appointment kept me from strength training. I may try to sneak some in before bed so I don’t get off track. I did do 3 miles on the treadmill this morning so I wasn’t a slug. I was down 2 pounds from this time last week so things are looking up. Now I’m waiting on the burst of energy and mental clarity I know is coming.
  • nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania.
    Been MIA for a few months but still logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21.
    Took a while to find you again since my absence. Thank you again @baconslave for keeping this going.

Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused. I bought a NEW to me, gently used, Commercial PreCor EFX 835 Elliptical. It was delivered the beginning of November, as others here know I wore my previous 10+ year old one out from my extensive workouts. Stopped using it mid November to get my Christmas shopping done earlier than my norm. I was planning go start back up a week ago but had a GI bug and very weak. I restarted today but very slow at 45 minutes and 3 miles compared to my 3 hour historical workout sessions. I will MAYBE workup to it again.

Heaviest weight 255 lbs, twice. :-(
    9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs
    4/6/22- 147.6 lbs (107.4 lbs lost) I did NOT have a surgery. Did Keto.
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs

1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    1/2/23- 213.4 lbs
    1/3/23- 207.4 lbs
    1/4/23- 205.8 lbs
    1/5/23- 205.8 lbs
    1/6/23- 201.4 lbs
    1/7/23- 202.4 lbs
    1/8/23- 204.4 lbs

Wow your doing awesome.
  • CynthiaEvans
    CynthiaEvans Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Day 1 for me, keto and I/F :)
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    SW 175
    CW 173 I'll keep saying it, I'm happy with any movement

Strength class yesterday 30 min all shoulders. I wanted to get up early to do yoga today but woke up at 2 and had trouble getting back to sleep. So yoga will be at lunch today instead and maybe an indoor bike ride after dinner.

@LifeChangz I have a few cloud bread recipes but my favorite is-
    6 eggs separated
    1 tsp cream of tartar
    1/2 cup unflavored whey protein powder

Whip eggs whites and cream of tartar. In separate bowl beat yolks then add in whey protein. Fold together until incorporated. This can fill a sheet pan or dollop to make burger buns. Bake at 300° for 20-25 min.

Enjoy
  • LifeChangz
    Options
    snags! thank you @tishsmith101 ~ will try that when I have an oven again - sounds way easy. Do you need to spray/oil the pan? use anything under, parchment or silicone mat?

we are in a motel with small fridge, microwave and crockpot - this morning is eggs scrambled with 2/3c petite brussels, 1/2c shredded cheese and 3T salsa in a meal mug - comes in about 12g carb, spot on and morning delish. doing well... onward!

s4sisa4avgmc.png
  • baconslave
    Options
    @LifeChangz As one would predict...not the greatest. I did ok until I was derailed by my husband, Le Grand Saboteur. And then hormones/mood had me divebomb into chocolate. I'll have to do better next weekend and make sure Sunday is on-plan and not faceplanted in Lindors. And do better at thwarting my unpredictable dear spouse.

Anyway, I was back on track Monday. I'm usually pretty darn good keeping on track on weekdays, cuz Saboteur is working and leaving me be with his spontanaeity.

Jan 9:
    Exercise as Planned: :+1: 1hr 15 min of walkie vids