Jumpstart January 2023 Challenge

Options

Replies

• offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You all motivate me with your committments. Since the holidays it has been carbs, carbs, and more carbs. I know I would feel better doing keto. And my eating is way better than it was 2 years ago but I need to reigned it in and get serious.
    I am here in Southern California and we are having tons of rain, which is needed very much, but really effects my activity level.
    One thing, beside this group ;), I got a DH that is committed to the keto lifestyle. I just need to catch up with him.
    Starting off slow my goals is to keep carbs under 75 and than lower it from there. Drink at least 75 oz of water and shooting for 10,000 steps a day. Might be walking alot in the house or a trip to the mall to walk in doors. There are 2 close by, and one is huge. A lap around is about .75 miles.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    nanerkay wrote: »

Wow your doing awesome.

Thanks but I can't help but think where I would be if I wouldn't have got lazy from April 2022 on. But I'm human and have flaws. My body just can't seem to burn carbs. Least I got back on track before I gained it all back. That would've been worse! I'm so out of shape for the elliptical (from my past Marathon sessions) so I'm just adding a bit more time each session.

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am late to the party but at least I made it! I have been very inconsistent with all the things for a year or two. So right now, my focus on back to the basics looks (started Monday) like:
    Consistent Logging
    No food after 8 p.m.
    > 80g protein
    SW: 198.6
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    alright @kimberwolf71 ~ welcome back!

i hear you @swimmom_1 ~ so want to get back to where I was before! Onward!

so, shifting back to keto level carbs for now. my appetite flared and emotionally want more, so need to quell that emotion around this - I really want improved healthy - better stamina, range of motion and flexibility... I need to stay focused on my why's and keep going this time!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,574 Member
    Options
    I am not keto yet ... will be starting next month but I am happy to say that I have been using my home gym for the past 4 days (just arms since I still can't do anything with my broken ankle ) looking forward to next month and to see what I can do being strict on keto for the remainder of the year ...I haven't weighed myself since breaking my ankle ...I am scared of what damage I may of done
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I’m so glad to see this thread picking up steam this month! Work is getting busy but I’ve been successful at not grazing when stressed or bored. I’m still if artificial sweeteners which is a huge feat for me but so far, so good. No major cravings. Fasting has also been fine. My weight is bouncing but I’m hoping it will start to fall consistently.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    SW 175
    CW 172.5 I'll keep saying it, I'm happy with any movement

Spin class last night and it was a nice surprise to see someone I knew in there. I think today will just be some work on my core. Food has been great all week, definitely hitting my protein! Already have planned on making keto bake 'oatmeal' and some keto peanut butter granola this weekend.

@LifeChangz yes I put parchment on the sheet pan :)
  • VictoriaNWest
    VictoriaNWest Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd love some friends with open diaries. I like to see how other people do keto.
  • LifeChangz
    Options
    @VictoriaNWest ~ glad to see you here. Sorry, don't have an open diary but love to talk ideas!

@tishsmith101 ~ thank you. will try it when i get a stove/oven again. can't wait hoping it is a natch replacement for english muffins. ate those with eggs, cheese for a long time.

@taylok23 ~ good on you for breaking the stress/bored links!

so, we lost a furbaby this week - always surprises me how strong grief is and triggers urges to sorrow in food. took a couple extra non-food tlc days, feeling better today.... the urges to dive into food have subsided... still just sad though, think i'll watch a few movies and early to bed over the weekend.... just miss the little thing.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @LifeChangz
    I'm sorry to hear about your fur baby.
    My own son just called me a few hours ago and told me he had to put his almost 16 year old Aussie Shepherd/Border Collie down last Sunday. It took him all this time to call and tell me. She lived with me from 1 year to 8 years old when he lived with me and then till he got his own home, because he's in the military. Tana (short for Montana, where he got her while in college) was such a great dog. So intelligent. I cried too.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Progress report:
    Monday - Thursday
    ✅Consistent Logging
    ✅No food after 8 p.m.
    ✅> 80g protein
    Friday:
    ❌Consistent Logging
    ❌No food after 8 p.m.
    ❌> 80g protein
    Saturday:
    ❌Consistent Logging
    ✅ No food after 8 p.m.
    ❌> 80g protein

Aiming for better next week👍
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I hear all of you on losing pets. I have an aging Rottweiler that I’m trying to prepare myself for. Until then, giving him the best life I can.
    I just ordered ‘Keto Flex’ on my kindle by Ben Azadi. I’ve been listening to his podcasts and want to dive into the book today. My fasts and protein consumption have been good this week. Not much else to report.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania.
    Been MIA for a few months but still logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21.
    Took a while to find you again since my absence. Thank you again @baconslave for keeping this going.

Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused. I bought a NEW to me, gently used, Commercial PreCor EFX 835 Elliptical. It was delivered the beginning of November, as others here know I wore my previous 10+ year old one out from my extensive workouts. Stopped using it mid November to get my Christmas shopping done earlier than my norm. I was planning go start back up a week ago but had a GI bug and very weak. I restarted today but very slow at 45 minutes and 3 miles compared to my 3 hour historical workout sessions. I will MAYBE workup to it again.

Heaviest weight 255 lbs, twice. :-(
    9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs
    4/6/22- 147.6 lbs (107.4 lbs lost) I did NOT have a surgery. Did Keto.
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs

1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    1/2/23- 213.4 lbs
    1/3/23- 207.4 lbs
    1/4/23- 205.8 lbs
    1/5/23- 205.8 lbs
    1/6/23- 201.4 lbs
    1/7/23- 202.4 lbs
    1/8/23- 204.4 lbs

1/15/23-202.4 lbs Elliptical Interval setting, did 120 minutes yesterday & today, 8.5 & 8.1 miles. I think the problem a few days ago with only being able to do 45-47 minutes was that I wore a short sleeved T shirt instead of my usual tank top. Even though I had a fan on, I think I got too warm and it tired me out. Had no problem yesterday & today.
  • LifeChangz
    Options
    Hi everyone

aw @swimmom_1 ~ sorry about Tana fur baby too - gr8 name and can understand ds needing a week to call, sounds like she had an awesome life and they are so intelligent - i am surprised how long and strong my grief has persisted... surprised me, again, always, every time... glad you are past the bug - sounds like you're rebuilding strength and stamina well.

@taylok23 ~ thank you. yes - just enjoy every dang day! they are always so happy just to be with us. I had a shepherd who did lap circles when we walked/ran - never getting more than maybe 20 feet away... our fav thing was playing in the waves in the ocean on a sunny day - could not get him to leave... he would pull a mule, lol... and he blew bubbles in his water bowl... they all have such unique personalities.... glad to hear your fasts and protein are going well :) Will have to check keto-flex. new2me idea.

@kimberwolf71 ~ have a good week! every day is a fresh start forward... hang in!

so, I struggled with the emotional urges for comfort food the last few days - it's another thing that goes with grief for me. I have focused on keto-choice foods, and I think that has helped - my physical appetite has not ignited and my wild ravings are subsiding - my inner 2 yr old wildchild was throwing up all sorts of out of the past food treats. urgh.... today seems better. this morning made up some lunchmeat and sliced cheese, ranch dressing, asparagus pickle spears rollups for lunch and evening snack today. will do a rotisserie chicken, bagged salad ranch dressing for dinner. Sometimes convenience foods just get me thru until I have time/patience to do some batch cooking... was thinking of making meatballs in the crockpot cooked down with sweet onion and canned diced tomatoes & shredded cheese for a dinner or 3... paired with a salad.

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    SW 175
    CW 174

Elliptical Saturday for an hour and Sunday was group fitness then bowling. Yesterday was 30 min strength with my trainer then a 3 mile trail hike after lunch. My body is holding onto water today. I'm thinking my weigh in tomorrow will be down again. Still hitting my protein. Made keto baked 'oatmeal', some keto churro mini waffles and some coconut raspberry protein fat bombs. That takes care of breakfast and snacks for the week.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,574 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone ... I am still around ... got my soft cast off a few days ago ... I am now in a purdy purple hard cast for 3 to 4 months and then hopefully I will be going to PT ...I so want this behind me ... I will be starting keto next month with the help of my daughter to help mama meal prep...looking forward to see what I can accomplish in 11 months ...

@LifeChangz sorry to hear about your fur baby...hugs
  • lfreeman910
    lfreeman910 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So back on the LC lifestyle as of the new year been keto/ LC most of the time since 9.2013... but after being diagnosed with something that zaps your energy and makes it 100 times harder to lose weight I gave up. It has now affected my insulin resistance. A change is needed not just for my weight but for my overall health. I lost over 60lbs before on keto and know how to do it. All I need is support and motivation!

HW-223 lbs (11.2012)
    SW- 163 lbs (9.2014)
    GW- 165 lbs

1.1.23- 195 lbs
    1.8.23- 190 lbs
    1.15.23- 189 lbs
  • swimmom_1
    edited January 2023
    Options
    So back on the LC lifestyle as of the new year been keto/ LC most of the time since 9.2013... but after being diagnosed with something that zaps your energy and makes it 100 times harder to lose weight I gave up. It has now affected my insulin resistance. A change is needed not just for my weight but for my overall health. I lost over 60lbs before on keto and know how to do it. All I need is support and motivation!

Tonight I had taken a Egg Life egg white wrap, a piece of deli sliced Boarshead London broil and a slice of Boarshead Baby Swiss cheese and rolled it up. Each 1, (I had 2),185 calories and very filling, satisfying and yummy. The 2 totaled 1g Net Carb, 47 g Protein and 20 g Fat. The wrap makes it a bit more satisfying than just rolling up meat and cheese. Sort of faked my brain out like I was eating a regular wrap.
  • VictoriaNWest
    VictoriaNWest Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I took a small break Saturday & Sunday for my birthday. Jumped right back in Monday. I've noticed a real decrease in my appetite this week. I'm eating about 200 calories less per day than I did my first 2 weeks. I haven't weighed myself however.
    It's weird I have never done real keto for more than 10 days before. I usually do low carb (under 100 grams a day) & count calories. I'm finding under 40 total carbs a day (usually 20 net) is so much easier because I feel less hunger. I ate a half of hamburger bun yesterday & it was the most delicious bun I've ever had in my life lol. But I really hardly have any cravings. When I do - here's my chocolate swirl recipe:
    1.50 tbsp Butter, salted - 4 tablespoons cocoa powder (good quality), 1 tbsp Half and half - 2 tsp Sugar - 2 tsp Swerve, add vanilla & salt, stir in hot strong coffee (about 2-3 tablespoons) to melt together and swirl! keto chocolate swirl, 0.5 serving 125 calories 10 carbs 11 fat 2 protein
    It's good! Sometimes I eat a whole serving and eat only meat the rest of the day.
    If I haven't lost weight in my next weigh in, however, I will go down to 20 carbs net.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Down 14 lbs since 1/1/23. Finally back in Onderland Again! Elliptical Interval setting 150 minutes for 9.7 miles. Getting my motivation back.