New to the Keto Mediterranean Diet

GigiShy
GigiShy Posts: 21 Member
edited January 2023 in Social Groups
My husband and I have decided that we need to get serious about our health. I didn't know if there was a way of eating out there that was doable and would appeal to both of us. In my research, I found there is a Keto Mediterranean Diet - sound pretty perfect to us! Had him watch several of Thomas Delauer's videos with me last night. We're three days in, allowing ourselves room and grace as we continue to learn and transition. I've got a few books on the way. I need to formulate a solid meal plan.

Anybody else out there doing this?

Replies

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Never heard of keto mediterranean, I currently do low carb Mediterranean so I’m assuming it’s like that but just lower carb levels. Can you share some of the details? What macros do they recommend? I’ll have to look into this eating style.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    cardiac doc suggested a keto jumpstart, then Mediterranean. I assume for the focus on heart healthy foods. I also was searching and saw keto Mediterranean and low carb Mediterranean. very interested in both.
  • GigiShy
    This link will tell you more about how the two intersect. https://www.doctorkiltz.com/mediterranean-keto-diet/
    As I understand it, a standard keto macro division would be 75-80 percent calories from fat, 15-20 percent calories from protein, and 5-10 percent calories from carbs.
    The Mediterranean diet has macros of 25-35% calories from fat, 15-25% from protein, and 50-60% from carbs. Big difference, huh? Plus, they include grains in their diet.

I'm waiting on a few cookbooks to help me tailor an eating plan, as well as hoping that there will be further information and education within the pages. I started with macros of 60% fat, 25% protein, and 15% carbs, then moved to a more moderate 50% fat, 25% protein, and 25% carb. Still hitting closer to my starting ratios. Perhaps this is more of a Paleo Mediterranean way of eating? Low Carb Mediterranean? I'm not sure. All I know is that it's a start in the right direction, and we're both feeling pretty good.

We've got red meat in the freezer, so we'll incorporate that as we transition to more fish.
  • LifeChangz
    edited January 2023
    thank you for the link @GigiShy ~ who also posted "The Mediterranean diet has macros of 25-35% calories from fat, 15-25% from protein, and 50-60% from carbs. Big difference, huh? Plus, they include grains in their diet."

Would be interested to know how you are doing appetite wise as you move to the to a more moderate 50% fat, 25% protein, and 25% carb?

the standard Mediterranean Macro %'s (25-35% calories from fat, 15-25% from protein, and 50-60% from carbs) are similar for the diabetes 'myplate food exchange' recommendations i used before, and the major differences would seem to be particular Mediterranean food choices such as fish instead of red meat, olive oil instead of other fats, etc.

and, agree, seems paleo and keto have some real intersection in food choices. as does the keto-mediterranean plans. i think the crossovers makes a transition pretty easy to build meals, all of them have an emphasis on non-starchy veggies and step away from starchy/sugar carbs.
  • GigiShy
    edited January 2023
    Well, I just got my copy of one of the cookbooks I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1641526807?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

In it, I found the macro information I was looking for. We are encouraged to keep our carbs under 35g for the first two-four weeks "to promote a faster and more effective transition to ketosis"; afterwards you can move up to as much as 50g through an increase in fiber-rich non-starchy vegetables, low-sugar fruits and nuts if your body "can tolerate it".

How am I doing with it, @LifeChangz? Well, I am rather new to all of this, so as I look back on the past week's entries ... I've ranged from 37-75g in daily carbs. Looking at grams rather than percentages was revealing. At my current allowance of 1500 calories in a day, 25% coming from carbs - that puts me at a max of 94g allowed each day. My average has been around 55g. How does this stack up with what you've been doing, @herblovinmom?

I'm working at adjusting to a new way of eating, and that's been my priority over counting carbs and getting into ketosis. For me, adding more protein and fat and pulling back from the servings of veg has been a decided shift. My appetite has been satiated, I must say. My husband has felt the same.

We joined my son and his fiance' yesterday to celebrate their engagement, and allowed ourselves a cheat day. Still entered it in the day's log. It serves as a good illustration of the difference our choices make. We stopped by Costco on the way home and picked up some fish and lamb to add to our new way of eating. :)
  • LifeChangz
    Thanks @GigiShy ~ i have not read many resources on the keto, other than the general %s - so the idea of 35g is the lowest. I also have been looking at it as grams split across the day. We can adjust the mfp food tracker but didn't, just looked at the total for meals in what I actually track. for the keto, i've been shooting for 12-15g/meal x 4 meals. I was just double/increasing this past week and i think it threw me out of ketosis, so struggling more again with weakness/fatigue similar to keto flu. My uptake would be do 1 or other - not both. Not sure if it is harmful physically to move in & out of ketosis or not, other than my personal experience of not feeling well with the flip. I also noticed my appetite and my emotional urges to eat extra went up - I think I'll go back to keto level carbs for next few weeks - and work on using foods from the mediterranean keto food groups.

Question - anyone know if eating 50g of carbs in a 1 meal a day plan will kick you out of ketosis? Does the 50g need to be across the day split between meals or can it be all during a single meal?

I am trying to understand how keto, IF (intermittent fasting) aka TRE (time restricted eating) and/or OMAD (one meal a day) can work together? and the related impact on keeping the body in a state of ketosis and other health benefits - heart, liver, cholesterol, insulin-resistance, etc. I wish we knew more and now! finding it a bit crazymaking - the technical/research descriptions send my eyeballs rolling back into my head, lol
  • GigiShy
    Hey there @LifeChangz I'm not sure what the both you are meaning when you said, "My uptake would be do 1 or other - not both."

In this cookbook, the carb gram allocation is given as per day. I usually have my coffee in the AM, but don't eat a meal until lunch time and then a dinner later on. I don't know enough yet to make super informed decisions prior to eating, so I'm just trying to make good choices and then I look back and learn from them. I'm a big believer in grace. Not slacker grace - loving, encouraging grace.

Yes, the research can be overwhelming. Even paralyzing. My dh experienced this as we started. I told him to go ahead and eat what he wants as we learn, making choices that align with our plan as he goes along. It freed him up. I know what he felt; I've been there.

Plus, while I'm pretty good at absorbing the information - I'm less agile at retention. Another way of saying I have a terrible memory. ;) Small goals are big enough for me, so right now I'm just tackling my dietary choices, entering them into MFP to learn about how they fall within my set parameters, and committing to daily exercise as often as possible. 4-5 times a week is definitely doable. My progress evaluation is based upon these goals. I feel more comfortable in my skin knowing that I have achievable goals and I'm meeting them fairly well.

I'm not sure where you'd find the information you're looking for regarding trying to synthesize the various approaches as you describe in your last paragraph. It seems to me that the best route would be to journal your own experiences as you experiment and find what works best for you.
  • LifeChangz
    edited January 2023
    @GigiShy ~ thanks. i was pondering keto or lo-carb. think it is maybe better on body to stick with one instead of flipping back and forth since the body energy system is different for keto. getting going keto usually gives me keto flu... would rather not keep going thru that. totally with you on encouraging grace.
  • GigiShy
    My husband is quite dietarily sensitive, so he definitely had a bit of an adjustment as we began this journey. I haven't had any negative experiences to speak of. What is a range that is considered low-carb?

I got my other Keto Mediterranean book a few days back. Definitely good to have a range of recipes to draw from. This one has a nice little every-man's educational section in the front that I like. Trying to get my hubby to take a moment and read it so he understands the goals and effects of our dietary decisions.

I applied myself to a Paleo/Keto eating program about four or five years back. Wound up with cold-induced histamine intolerance due to histamine overload. At the time it was something that was rather unknown and woo-woo, but your body doesn't lie. I mentioned a few strange incidents I'd had to my GP, but he hadn't a clue. When they increased, I tried another and she asked if she could step away and do a little research in her office while I waited. Love a doc that is open and has an investigative mine! It was like I'd been collecting the dots, but having never heard of such a thing it seemed kinda weird. I mentioned my it seemed that my hives appearances were being triggered by cold; she confirmed my suspicions, the lines connecting it all were my histamine levels.

That's something that I am keeping myself aware of. Hopefully, if I stay away from salami and bacon, my body will be able to tolerate the rest of these changes. So far, so good.
  • LifeChangz
    wow @GigiShy ~ talk about an oddball thing out of the blue! glad it was figured out and you can tailor your food choices. i had no idea there were foods that could trigger histamine intolerance.

regarding % of carbs in a meal plan; in the 1980s, they gave mom a food exchange plan which was about 25-30% of daily food in carbs.... very different from the keto ranges <50g/day. For me, I would consider low carb to be <100g/day maybe <150g/day.

When I first started looking at the diabetes swappable foods in the 80s with mom -i bargain/traded most of my non-carb foods for carbs - because i liked carbs so much the 25-30% recommendation back then seemed impossible... even the thought of adjusting carbs lower, to keto level, was a no go thought when looking at plans like Atkins or S. Beach...

It's funny how my thinking has evolved.... through my search to find ways of eating that are workable for me emotionally and my body physically, I have moved towards fewer carbs, and eventually tried Keto. I just moved back again this week from low carb to the keto +/-<50g per day and my appetite has subsided again this week. It's a relief. I find fighting cravings/appetite exhausting.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Hi all! Just getting started after years away. I’m active, over 50, with about 30 pounds to lose. Yuck.
  • GigiShy
    edited January 2023
    Welcome to our little group, @LovePBandJ. We're just getting connected, so you're welcome to chime in. What are your plans as you resume the good fight? :) Are you participating in other conversations groups as well? I found nothing on here for the Keto Mediterranean crowd, but today I looked up Histamine, and there are quite a few threads on here for those of us who deal with that. Although my situation is not anywhere near as dire as some.

If all goes as I hope, @LovePBandJ, that's in the range of what I'd like to lose, as well. I imagine we're a pretty big club. Kinda like the size 14-16 in clothes and size 6.5 in shoes that are always in short supply when you go shopping.

@LifeChangz, you sound something like my younger sister. She has loads of experience and knowledge behind her. She's tried lots of different approaches; unfortunately, she has yo-yoed a lot. I'm trying to gently nudge her to come alongside me and vice-versa.

"Less than 100g/day maybe 150g/day"? That is totally doable! How encouraging! I've been shooting for less than 35g, but have only hit that goal two days. I've cheered myself with the fact that my sugar intake is minimal, my carbs are low, and I'm doing better just being more deliberate in my choices.

I'll be off for a few days, but will check back on Tuesday. Hang in there, ladies! <3

• LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    @GigiShy I’ve joined a couple other groups, but just learning how to navigate this new MFP format. I doubt seen to get any kind of alert when my name is mentioned. I guess I need to spend some time and figure this out. Years ago when I last used MFP it was all about friending people and everyone was there on your News Feed. Now, News Feed is just a bunch of ads.
  • GigiShy
    Oh my! If anyone who can spell is looking for information on Mediterranean, they'll never find this page! I hate it when I misspell a word, and now I can't seem to find a way of correcting it. Sigh....

Just popped over to the Mediterranean Board and took a look around. It appears that there's never been enough conversation maintained to keep it seriously viable. And while everyone wants recipes, nobody's proffered any. I joined anyway. We'll see how it goes.

Overall, it also sounds like folks have seen good results with following a Medi-way of eating - but no real details given. It's definitely appealing to many, but in America, it's a decided departure from what we are used to. I lived overseas a few times, growing up; so it's familiar to me. But most of us don't have ready access to seafood, a staple of Mediterranean eating. I gotta wonder what they're actually eating.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    GigiShy wrote: »
    Oh my! If anyone who can spell is looking for information on Mediterranean, they'll never find this page! I hate it when I misspell a word, and now I can't seem to find a way of correcting it. Sigh....

Just popped over to the Mediterranean Board and took a look around. It appears that there's never been enough conversation maintained to keep it seriously viable. And while everyone wants recipes, nobody's proffered any. I joined anyway. We'll see how it goes.

Overall, it also sounds like folks have seen good results with following a Medi-way of eating - but no real details given. It's definitely appealing to many, but in America, it's a decided departure from what we are used to. I lived overseas a few times, growing up; so it's familiar to me. But most of us don't have ready access to seafood, a staple of Mediterranean eating. I gotta wonder what they're actually eating.

I fixed it. Just now saw it. My life is a mess right now. :tired_face:
  • GigiShy
    @baconslave I don't know how you did that, but thank you!

What sort of dietary regime/program/muse are you following right now?

A lot of folks feel like you do - a new year seems intended to bring with it all sorts of inspiration and hope, but oftentimes people just feel behind and even stuck. I'm sorry that you are under it right now.
  • NanElisaP
    NanElisaP Posts: 35 Member
    Hey all - love to see this active conversation and would love diary accountability and MFP friends if anyone would like to add me. I only have a moment but will come back in and converse more later!
  • GigiShy
    Came across this lovely site that I have to share - Mediterranean diets of every shade and hue: http://www.advancedmediterraneandiet.com/advancedmediterranean.html

Look over it and tell me what you feel drawn to and why. <3 Have a lovely weekend, friends!
  • GigiShy
    Ok, the more I evaluate what works for me, the more I have to adjust the knobs and dials of things. Although I don't know that this is a "thing", in my evaluation it appears that I could legitimately call what I am doing low-carb Mediterranean, maybe even Paleo Mediterranean.

Looking online, I see lots of comparison and contrast articles on the two, but I am shaking through it all and seeing what will work for my plan.

Anybody else out there care to share how things are going for you? Tips and goodies? Tasty recipes? Go-tos are always helpful. I am finding that having some tins of mackerel, mussels, and sardines are coming to be super-handy to have in the pantry. I don't believe my husband has EVER opened and eaten one in his life, but hey, to each his own.

The list of Paleo fish is broader than those listed under the Med recommendations. I'll have to see what seems to be credible options. Oh, and we're choosing wild Sockeye Salmon per Thomas Delauer's counsel. We can definitely tell a difference.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    So glad to find you all. I've done keto successfully in the past. Fell off the wagon. Started back up earlier this month. Recent heart disease diagnosis lead me to wanting to do more of a Mediterranean Keto. Decreased, Healthier fats with the low level of carbs within the keto range. Lets see how this goes.