Starting today 1 September

Options

Replies

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi, yesterday was the start of my 2nd week. I'm working out at home using dumbells. So far, I've only used 12lbs. I would think I could go heavier on the squats, but I have a bum right knee, so I baby it.

Use heavy enough to feel that those quads and glutes are really working - but obviously not enough to injure yourself! Do you put your dumbbells on your shoulders or do you hold them down beside you...makes a difference. A "goblet squat" might work well for you...I'm assuming there's an example in the book...if not, just youtube it...

I am doing workout B in the morning - I'm feeling the DOMS from yesterday and lovin the feeling. DOMS means I'm doing something right!
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    completed workout 1A last night, I can feel it this morning but not as much as what I was expecting. I'm glad about that, will do workout B tomorrow!
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I put the dumbbells just in front of my shoulders, I think it simulates a bar.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I am starting Stage 1 next week - on Tuesday 09/10

As far as warm-up and the HIIT workouts....I am confused there.

What are you ladies doing??

I understand the schedule of the actual program....but maybe I am misreading on this part.

I also run 3x's a week (training for a 10K)

Glad to find this group :-)
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Today, I did a 10 minute quick cardio workout as my warm up. On Tues/Thurs I do higher intensity cardio for at least 25 minutes. I also try to do yoga or some kind of stretching at least 5 days a week.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I started today! I can't believe I made it through! With some modifications, I'm afraid. I'm 300 lbs and I can't do a plank yet, so my push-ups are against the wall (bottom of the window sill) and for that dreaded jackknife, I put my elbows on a bench instead of putting my hands on the floor. Other than that, I followed the program and I'm really pretty proud of myself!

Just finished my protein shake and I feel pretty "noodle-y" all over. I never would have believed 5 exercises could affect the entire body like that! Very exciting!
  • Jess830409
    Options
    Today, I did a 10 minute quick cardio workout as my warm up. On Tues/Thurs I do higher intensity cardio for at least 25 minutes. I also try to do yoga or some kind of stretching at least 5 days a week.

Awesome :-) Thank you for the input!
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    I do the warm up suggested in the book. On other days I do some rowing or a fitness blender HIIT or some sort of workout DVD
    Today I did Stage 1, workout B4. I think I'm half way through stage1 now, but I had a break so I feel like I've slipped back a bit
    Jane
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I am starting Stage 1 next week - on Tuesday 09/10

As far as warm-up and the HIIT workouts....I am confused there.

What are you ladies doing??

I understand the schedule of the actual program....but maybe I am misreading on this part.

I also run 3x's a week (training for a 10K)

Glad to find this group :-)

I do a ten-minute run at about 6.0-7.0 on the treadmill. Then I do the exercises, usually with a warm up set of about 50% of weight. After the session, I will do 15-20 minutes of cardio/HIIT (spin bike/stairs).

Did I mention that I thought it was 3 sets of 15 this week??? Oops. Oh well.

Congrats to you all for starting the program!!!!!
  • JaneUK
    Options
    I've just ordered 4x5kg weights to add to my collection. Picking them up tomorrow :-)
    Jane
  • Jess830409
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the help :-)
  • fiveoaks66
    fiveoaks66 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I finished the second A workout yesterday. I did a fitness blender cardio warmup and a couple of smaller sets of each exercise before adding all the weight I could lift and doing the 2 sets of 15. It took me about an hour to complete.
    As the weather cools off, my morning stiffness increases, so the warming up becomes more important for me.

To respond to the cardio question, I am still running 3 days a week. It's possible this is not helping me, according to the program laid out in the book, so I am trying to be easy on the mileage and focus more on sprints. I have always just increased my mileage, so this is also new for me.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    I finished the second A workout yesterday. I did a fitness blender cardio warmup and a couple of smaller sets of each exercise before adding all the weight I could lift and doing the 2 sets of 15. It took me about an hour to complete.
    As the weather cools off, my morning stiffness increases, so the warming up becomes more important for me.

To respond to the cardio question, I am still running 3 days a week. It's possible this is not helping me, according to the program laid out in the book, so I am trying to be easy on the mileage and focus more on sprints. I have always just increased my mileage, so this is also new for me.

I think the book really discourages distance "endurance" type of activities because you end up losing muscle as well as fat...definitely focus more on interval training - sprints with rests, etc.

BTW, I have an awesome app on my phone called "Tabata Pro Timer" for intervals - it's $2.99 but I use it for my HIIT all the time. Love it!

Finished Stage 1, workout A2. Loved it! Great 20 minutes of HIIT at the end too. Burned 622 according to HRM.:)
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Workout B2 done. Where did everyone go??? :)
  • JaneUK
    Options
    I am still here but have had a very busy start to the new school year - I haven't had a day off since last Monday, but it's only one more day to go, then I get 24 hours off. Hooray! I also have my extra 20kg so I can start to get a bit more serious with my deadlifts. I only had 20kg before, so now (with my barbell) I have around 46kg, which will do for now. My next workout is A5.
    Jane
  • fiveoaks66
    fiveoaks66 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ok still here, too! I finished workout B2 this morning, am still enjoying the program. I am making sure I do a lot of warm up before I lift heavy, so it is taking me about an hour to do the whole workout, including 10 minutes of warm up.

I'm still working on increasing my protein intake: we ran out of bananas for a few days so I didn't have any shakes. I am using plain soy protein powder, so mixing it with fruit is a must!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Whew Jane and fiveoaks! I thought I was the only one left! LOL

Jane - are you a teacher? How much is that in pounds? (even though Canada is officially metric, we still really go by pounds...)

fiveoaks - takes me about an hour too! (and that's with 3 sets) I do a 10 minute run on the treadmill to warm up. One thing I didn't really do the first time was any "warm up sets" but this time I am, so it does take a little longer. But I can definitely lift heavier once that muscle is warmed up,(not that I lift HEAVY) and I refuse to get injured this time round.

I went out and bought lifting gloves and those grips for when things start getting a lot heavier! LOL

How much are you gals eating? I still struggle with that magic number. Right now I'm going for about 1800 total. Just hope I'm not losing muscle. Fitbit says I average 2100 cals a day during a week and I'd venture to guess that's about right...I could stand to lose the mommy flab around the middle but other than that I'm pretty lean. Probably around 20% BF.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    Anyone can add me. I am 2 workouts into stage 1. This is my second time around.. I had to stop when I finished staged 3 do to a meniscus tear and having to have surgery. I would love new friends to help motivate me. I had great result the first time and cant wait to get back to that point.
  • JaneUK
    Options
    Jane - are you a teacher? How much is that in pounds? (even though Canada is officially metric, we still really go by pounds...)

How much are you gals eating? I still struggle with that magic number. Right now I'm going for about 1800 total. Just hope I'm not losing muscle. Fitbit says I average 2100 cals a day during a week and I'd venture to guess that's about right...I could stand to lose the mommy flab around the middle but other than that I'm pretty lean. Probably around 20% BF.

Yes, I'm a teacher (music). But half my job is in school admin. It's a nice balance :-)

A kilo is 2.2lbs, so my extra 20kg is 44lbs. So I now have about 88lbs in weights and the barbell is around 15lbs. That will keep me going for a while. I did A5 today, so my first time with 3 sets. I had 10kg in each hand for the step-ups today and that was probably the hardest part of the workout. Sorry if I sound feeble!

I'm not really counting cals at the moment. I am just trying to eat well but the main change I am making is to cut down on alcohol, which is easier than I thought. I have a glass of red wine each day, 187ml measured into a little bottle! I would like to lose about 20lb. I know I need to be more organised about logging everything.
    Jane
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Jane - HI!!!! I'm a high school teacher of vocal music!!! :) and drama. And I'm head of the arts at my school, so I also have a little "admin" to do:) I laugh sometimes when I'm at the gym because I doubt people would venture to guess I'm such an "artsie":)

CurlyGirly- I have curly hair too. I think we have met before...Did you tear your meniscus from stage 3 itself??? Yikes! Glad you're back at it!

Today was a rest day but only got in 8,000 steps. Just couldn't get out of the house once home from work!