Shape Shifters Team Chat - AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 -- I think you'll have to try Poor Man's Dinner again :D I think I'll give that a try this week, it sounds delicious and I'm a big fan of cornbread.

Another tip I would suggest for food is that if you want organic chicken, buy a whole one. It's not difficult to break down a bird and fry it (lots of tutorials online!) There will probably be a neck or back extra and just throw it in the freezer to use for soup or broth next time. I started breaking down my own poultry, but my kids say they don't like chicken with bones in it. (?!) *Sigh*

Anyway, if you fry a bird that way, give her a little extra time in the pan because it cooks slower around the bone and it has to come to temp for food safety. Crows really like chicken bones it turns out, so the entire bird is eaten around here. I think it's worth the wait, and it doesn't take much lard / duck fat / oil - fat basically to fry a bird up, and customarily a person would make gravy from the fat drippings and put on top of potatoes. I guess that sounds kinda extreme now, but that was probably 3 days at least when I was growing up. (And nobody had a weight issue...somehow). Not much was wasted back then (reminds me of a terrible story about a snapping turtle...but another day, I guess that might be a bonus tip...hungry, got too many snappin' turtles in the crick?....soup!)

I've gone Vegetarian lately so my family thinks I've lost my darn mind. :D

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,227 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 -- I think you'll have to try Poor Man's Dinner again :D I think I'll give that a try this week, it sounds delicious and I'm a big fan of cornbread.

Another tip I would suggest for food is that if you want organic chicken, buy a whole one. It's not difficult to break down a bird and fry it (lots of tutorials online!) There will probably be a neck or back extra and just throw it in the freezer to use for soup or broth next time. I started breaking down my own poultry, but my kids say they don't like chicken with bones in it. (?!) *Sigh*

Anyway, if you fry a bird that way, give her a little extra time in the pan because it cooks slower around the bone and it has to come to temp for food safety. Crows really like chicken bones it turns out, so the entire bird is eaten around here. I think it's worth the wait, and it doesn't take much lard / duck fat / oil - fat basically to fry a bird up, and customarily a person would make gravy from the fat drippings and put on top of potatoes. I guess that sounds kinda extreme now, but that was probably 3 days at least when I was growing up. (And nobody had a weight issue...somehow). Not much was wasted back then (reminds me of a terrible story about a snapping turtle...but another day, I guess that might be a bonus tip...hungry, got too many snappin' turtles in the crick?....soup!)

@Itadakimasu7 If you try the meal, add a small pat of butter to whatever oil you're using for frying the potatoes...and for your cornbread, don't bake it...stir up your cornbread mix, make it a little thinner and fry small round cornbread rounds (just like pancakes)...they're the best because they sop up the beans so well. Those were some of the secrets.

Now...cutting up vegetables and/or a chicken is something I cannot do. I was born without knuckles in my thumbs. Look at your thumbs and imagine no wrinkles between the nail and where your thumb joines your hand. That's what mine look like. Before you start feeling sorry for me...I took piano lessons for 11 years...taught for 23. I can type and do data entry like nobody's business, but the one thing I cannot do is cut up things in the kitchen. I tend to stick with dark meat chicken...thighs and legs and simply buy them pre-cut...I really do prefer it baked in the oven, using that seasoned flour I mentioned. It's my favorite. I just have to be disciplined and take the hour after work (or on the weekends) to do it...then reheat for evening meals. I could live on chicken...it's one of my most favorite foods in the world. Let me know how your meal turns out. I hope you enjoy it!

Jessica
  • Sbus12
    Sbus12 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Looking for more songs for my playlist. My YouTube list plays the same old one repetively. I’m pretty open to all music so throw some songs out there.
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 - will do, I have it on my plan now :smile:

@Sbus12 -- Hmm, I usually start out with 'Radioactive' but I'm playing 'Zombies, Run!' and it goes well with that! On Youtube they have some good bosa nova lofi play lists that are dope.
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 940 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    My steps
    8/5 15,499
    8/6 15,257
    8/7 19,030
    @Sbus12 Thank you for saying I inspire you 😄 I don't run, just walk everywhere ! We are a car less family so I don't have a choice.I love walking whether it's a necessity or for pleasure.I also love dancing & do a class 4 x a week.My strength training is going well.It takes a while to get used to new exercises but the plan gives videos on each one for correct form etc.My gym is only small so I can't do a couple of them as they don't have the correct machines.
    I'm hoping to become more toned as I have noticed my body changing now I'm in my 60s.Just wish there was a magic pill to reduce my belly 🤣
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,443 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Sun 8/6: 11,365
    Mon 8/7: 11,396
  • Sbus12
    Options
    @jessicakrall8
    Steps
    8/6 10,175
    8/7 15,068
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

@Itadakimasu7 I want to try the whole chicken cooking. If I can cook a turkey in November and December, then I can cook a whole chicken. I want to do it for the bone broth! I haven't done it yet because I have to keep my cooking to what I know when classes are in session (work full time and school full time). So maybe I can get it done before fall semester starts.

Ditto on the Poor Man's Dinner - it sounds so good. Especially the skillet cornbread cakes!
    @jessicakrall8 thanks for sharing that memory. If you make it soon, share a pic :smile:

• Cyncia85
    Options
    Sbus12 wrote: »
    Looking for more songs for my playlist. My YouTube list plays the same old one repetively. I’m pretty open to all music so throw some songs out there.

@sbus12 if we get a good number of songs, I'd start a playlist on Spotify to share with the group.

"Till I Collapse" Eminem, Nate Dogg
  • Cyncia85
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @Cyncia85 congrats on your 1st Pilate class!
    You’ll have to share how Pilates works out for you. I’m thinking of all it’s great benefits like flexibility, core strength, total body strength. Nice weight loss too this week!

@jessicakrall8 you’d laugh at how many times I yell at my scale. I’ve even kicked it back into its hiding spot and call it names 🤣 definitely love-hate. Let’s be honest—hate wins! 🤣

@JenHul Whoo hoo! Nice weight loss and great job staying consistent with your steps!’

Congrats ShapeShifters for taking 2nd place in weight loss!

Congrats @ganival for coming in 1st for our group!! Lead us on!

@sbus12 Thank you! All of the benefits are things I need to work on. Your comment inspired a 'motivator' post for today. I need to work on my flexibility and my mobility - anyone else?

Quoting from healthline.com
    Flexibility vs. mobility
    To get to the bottom of this question, it’s important to understand the difference between flexibility and mobility:

Flexibility is a muscle’s ability to lengthen passively, or without engagement. When you perform static (holding still) stretches using body weight, limb support, or props, you’re working on muscular flexibility.

Mobility, on the other hand, is related to the joints and their ability to move actively through their full range of motion. Think of lifting your leg in the air to a 90-degree angle and bringing it back down again. That’s active mobility.

To have good mobility, you do need good flexibility.

hr3ms4vnyv38.jpg

https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/why-you-dont-need-to-be-gumby-mobility-vs-flexibility#Flexibility-vs.-mobility

• Sbus12
    Options
    6zearbya3ue7.jpeg

What goals are your working on this week?
    How did last week go?

@Cyncia85 Thanks for sharing that article on food buying this weekend. It’s great to put cost into perspective. We follow the EWG dirty dozen and steer clear but I haven’t heard of the clean 15.
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I've been cultivating a training playlist for a few years. Disclaimer, it does include explicit songs.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6Z2t2j0CTny0GpMKOm4DV3?si=Cxe1EovyS36cHRHLLKXLoA
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    5337 in steps.
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    6zearbya3ue7.jpeg

What goals are your working on this week?
    How did last week go

Last week:
    Getting up by 4:30AM
    2 Yoga classes

My goals for this week are:
    Walk every day
    30 min workout
    80 oz water
  • Sbus12
    Options
    @bearchested thank you for sharing your playlists!

@jessicakrall8 thanks for the torture! Reading that recipe made me mouth-watering hungry!

@Cyncia85 I love a good muscular stretch to improve my flexibility. Good explanation of the two. Thanks for throwing some songs out there too!

@ltadakimasu7 must feel good to get the water weight off. Fluid retention is so uncomfortable!

@izzyred9400 aah ha! Dancing is so much fun and great exercise! Talk about toning, after incorporating lunges and squats I can see the difference in my legs already! I dread the workout but I love the feeling when it’s over. Since it’s so new for me, I need to aim for consistency. When you find the magic belly pill, please share! 🤣
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,227 Member
    Options
    Interesting article from NBC News…take a look. Here’s the link: https://t.co/0bUC9repub
This discussion has been closed.