Chat room - what's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• chelseynikole9618
    chelseynikole9618 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My first day went great! They have a vegan breakfast sandwich, lunch panini, and vegan drink options which is always a plus. It’s a nice 2 mile uphill walk home from work which I will be doing often. I plan on packing workout clothes to change into when I get off as my work attire is dressy / corporate.

Today the sun is shining now, and we’ve got highs of 60° F in seattle this week with sunshine! I’m excited to go to the lake for picnics and long walks. Spring + summer in Seattle is my fave 😍

Yesterday my fast lasted 22 hours. Today I broke it after 12 hours. It’s okay, it’s balance, and over all I’ve fasted 90% of my days since starting this journey to a long term healthy lifestyle.
  • chelseynikole9618
    Options
    Oh and Maya, cashews are my weakness! It’s so easy to overindulge so i feel you!
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    @chelseynikole9618 great to hear your first day went well!

I love nuts too, and when I derail, it’s often with a lot of nuts. I‘ve had pretty good control with walnuts, pecans, cashews and I typically have them around now, for my breakfast oats or for parmesan sub (cashews and pine nuts). The one type of nut I can’t have around are roasted peanuts. I used to be the same way with peanut butter, but have learned to control that most of the time.
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Oh YES spring. I can't wait. The winter here has been particularly rainy and grey.
    Today was ok and I could bike between 2 meetings but it is not yet warm or really sunny.

Today was a difficult day eating wise. After the bike I was famished and ate unplanned bretzels and bread. I was not at all hungry for diner anymore so at the end I was in my calorie budget but not the way I planned or like.

Tomorrow is again a bike day. First I work at the office and then go directly to meet my bike friends. I will need to manage the cravings post bike. It is one of my trigger. I will let you know, that will provide me with some accountability !
  • chelseynikole9618
    Options
    I definitely understand going in on bread after a workout lol. My vice is sourdough avocado toast after a workout!! I had to stop buying the blueberry coffee cake from the bakery because it was such a delicious trigger.

Today it was beautiful and sunny again, I got two walks in! I absolutely love spring time. However next week our temps drop back down with cloudy skies. I’ll be relishing in the 60s (°F) and sunny weather this weekend! My favorite place to walk is the beautiful park with an ancient forest you can hike through. There’s a paved walking trail around it as well. It’s right on the lake and so beautiful.

• Maya440
    Options
    Walking in forest is the best.

What have you planned for the week-end ?

I had an excellent Thursday, both food and activity wise. I started this Friday with a short run in the sun. It will be rainy this afternoon. Now I have to work half a day (and I procrastinate a bit lol).
    Tonight and tomorrow evening are party evenings so that week-end will be tiring... but fun !

I have saved a portion of yesterday's diner for this evening (where we go there will be plenty of drinks but only french fries and burgers to eat). Lunch will be my usual potatoes, veggies, hummus. I had an egg (from my own chicken happy in my garden) and an avocado for breakfast, after the run.

• henridw2095
    Options
    I‘m up early making a tofu frittata :) to celebrate that the replacement of my broken food processor arrived.

I haven’t figured out how to schedule this weekend, but will have to work a little on both days. Cleaning up the guinea pigs, working, and at least one gym day may not leave a lot of time to relax, so my challenge will be to make time to relax every day (including today and on Monday).
  • chelseynikole9618
    Options
    I love all the forest photos! What an awesome hike.

we have even more sun on the forecast through the weekend, so I will definitely spend some time relaxing at the lake (but first a 3 mile walk / hike).

Today I opted to walk home from work. My goal is to walk home after every shift unless I’m just exhausted. It’s 2 miles steady uphill (I may have mentioned that) and it felt great! I walked to the store just now for dinner (a mile round trip) and I’m making a vegan pasta inspired by carbonara for dinner.

Y’all today marks 23 days of consistent walking and using this app. I’m truly so happy because it feels like a real lifestyle change this time.
  • henridw2095
    edited March 16
    Options
    @chelseynikole9618 that‘s great. I also approached it as a permanent lifestyle change this time (started 8 months ago), it’s more tedious, but also more sustainable.

I‘m beat. Love the forest photos. We don’t have forest in Chicago, but we do have Lake Michigan. I had a brief jog along the lake during lunch today. I don’t carry my phone on my runs, so here are some older photos from a few weeks ago.My goal is to jog three times a week, but it’s hard to coordinate with strength training.

wyn30clsswt0.jpeg

0b7qewj51tek.jpeg
    sbbppus4du3b.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,296 Member
    Options
    I love all the forest photos! What an awesome hike.

Well, here's a few more. A friend came up to town and we drove a little ways to the "back side" of a hike I often do. The place we went is more open, so more sun. It was a beautiful day. I was glad she was OK to add an extra mile or so to get up to the top where we had a great view - about 7.2 miles total.

bqczmwsz1fqa.jpg
    57yrlau9cdvt.jpg

And... do you like coast pictures? I went over there yesterday to soak up more sun and watch the waves:

rurrmty08yzg.jpg
    1gkajf0t4mj0.jpg
    uldw4m4smusq.jpg

• chelseynikole9618
    Options
    Omg y’all! The lake pics, the forest, and the coast!! I love Mother Nature so much! Our planet is so beautiful I truly am obsessed lol 😆
    @mtaratoot you're in the PNW too huh? Assuming by the photos lol

@henridw2095 your lake is beautiful. I’ve never been to that part of the country but I hope to visit some day. I bring my phone for music but now that I have an Apple Watch I don’t suppose I need my phone on walks anymore. I decided I’ll start jogging half of my walk, I need to get my cardio up! I’m a notorious long distance walker though. I’ve been known to do 10-15 miles a day walking through the city - and seattle is full of hills!

Here’s photos of the lake and mount Rainer today on my walk with my partner while our daughter was in ballet class. So beautiful!!

lvxutziga5r0.jpeg
    7oas8kaps1xi.jpeg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Oh YES to all pictures <3
    I would love to have the sea near me. Forest is quite easy to find, that's that.

I have had an excellent week-end, but ate a little bit too much. I was within my calorie budget (which is higher on week-ends) but since I am just post fast, I put on weight very fast (2 kilos compared to Friday morning)... I hope my body finds its balance back during this week.

I have also received my nutrition plan from the nutritionist I hired to prepare my triathlon objective of June. I will have to adapt a little bit the way I eat now (which was foreseen, that's the point) and at first it seems A LOT to eat so this is scary. But there is less refined sugar compared to how I eat now so I believe this is for the best. I will try to be patient with myself in learning how to apply the dietary instructions.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    We did a paddle yesterday, just a little more than 18 miles. It was a nice day, but it was a bit cool on the water. We saw no fewer than three dozen Bald Eagles. It was quite amazing. We also saw osprey. I've heard them, so I knew they were back from their migration, but this is the first I'd seen any. Probably a dozen or so. Also lots of mergansers, some flickers, some plovers, some red-tail hawks, some kestrels, some wrens, some Steller's jays, some Blue Herons, some Turkey Vultures, and... Yeah. Nice day!

s9rnpbng4dim.jpg
    s39z1aijt632.jpg
    d8nm62u2e1os.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Is the weather already warm enough ?
    That’s really nice
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Wow, you folks have some great scenery around you!
    We had wild turkeys in the farm field behind our house, but they were too far away to get a good pic with the phone's zoom capabilities.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Maya440 wrote: »
    Is the weather already warm enough ?
    That’s really nice

I paddle year-round. In winter I usually wear a drysuit. I probably should have worn one yesterday, but was pretty sure I'd be OK. It was warm, but there was a cool breeze on the water. If I had taken a swim, it could have become life threatening. I did have a change of clothes in a dry bag, but you can't last that long in cold water.

My friend was in a kayak. If she had flipped, she could roll up and still be dry. I was in a canoe. Canoes have a big hole in the top through which water may enter. The river was moving fast, but there really weren't any real hazards except some large boils along some eddy lines and some big whirlpools. I went into them for fun.... One sucked my boat down four to six inches, and my boat is 17.5 feet long. I did NOT try to surf any waves. That could have resulted in a swim.

The normal challenging spots weren't challenging. There was so much water, you could just go where you wanted. Of course we're always looking for trees in the water and such. The river was flowing about 17,000 cubic feet per second. The first couple miles we were going seven mph without paddling.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Sorry I've been MIA - unfortunately we had a family bereavement and with organising funeral, grieving and probate, its taken a few months to focus on myself again - but now there's some catching up to do!

To get kick-started I'm going to try IF and see if that works for me, I'm going to try a 7am - 2pm eating window initially and see how that goes. It will certainly help only cooking one meal in the evening for the family instead of making a WFPB one separate for myself. Is anyone else here doing IF?

Nice to see some new members! Hope everyone has a good day!
  • Maya440
    edited March 20
    Options
    @mtaratoot wow that's impressive.

Hello @Curvykinkycurls nice to have you back. I am sorry for your loss <3
    I have done IF for more than one year (fasting from 8pm until 12am) and I loved it but these days I only do IF when I have a rest day, otherwise I eat something in the morning. It is often around 9 or 10 am, I am not hungry as soon as I get up.

I see often that IF goes in cycle. Sometimes you just don't feel like it anymore. When I fast in the morning I eat more in the afternoon. I end up at about the same amount of calories per day whether I am fasting or not.
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Maya440 wrote: »
    @mtaratoot wow that's impressive.

Hello @Curvykinkycurls nice to have you back. I am sorry for your loss <3
    I have done IF for more than one year (fasting from 8pm until 12am) and I loved it but these days I only do IF when I have a rest day, otherwise I eat something in the morning. It is often around 9 or 10 am, I am not hungry as soon as I get up.

I see often that IF goes in cycle. Sometimes you just don't feel like it anymore. When I fast in the morning I eat more in the afternoon. I end up at about the same amount of calories per day whether I am fasting or not.

I do IF about 90-95% of the time and have been for the last 4 years (noon - 8pm). At first, I was doing it without counting calories and was losing weight, but mainly because instinctively I was trying to lose weight, so I ate better. When I do eat breakfast, it's almost always when we're traveling or need fuel for an activity such as hiking or when I know I can't reliably find time to eat lunch.

The last couple of years, my exercise class is at 9am for an hour and I follow that up with 30 minutes of yoga. Then it's time for my morning coffee. So by the time I get done with my routines, it's close to noon any ways.

The main contributor to calories in my day is dinner/dessert. I routinely consume between 800-1000 calories at dinnertime only if I don't have alcohol AND no late night snacking. Splitting the rest of my calories between breakfast and lunch doesn't seem to work for me with my eating plan, so I think that's why IF personally helps me. The evening meal is the one social meal I have a day, whether with family or friends, so I really don't like missing out on those interactions and am easily influenced by what others eat.