Chat room - what's on your mind?

Options
Marilynsretired
Marilynsretired Posts: 5,422 Member
edited September 2023 in Social Groups
I hope you dont mind but thought it would be nice if we had a chat room where we could post rather than always using the announcement threads that have been started. If you don't care to have this, then please delete this thread - otherwise could we share here please

Replies

• henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Thank you for starting our first discussion thread!! 🥳 Please feel free to post about any topic you are interested in. Hopefully more members will join in soon, I just started this group, but groups are really driven by members.
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I like a chat room.
    Today was a difficult day for me. I started with too much bread and peanut butter. I run a 15km trail which was really hard (took me 1h44 and a little bit more than 1000kcal). Back at home I had the time for a power nap before going to a family reunion where I ate apples and chocolate, more than I wanted to. Then I prepared the evening dinner but that was not really a success, it was pasta with tofu spinach and red pepper sauce. It was too much tofu.
    I am exhausted.
    And I have eaten 1000kcal too much. I had burnt them but still I ate past fullness at each of my meals 😒

Tomorrow I only have one planned meeting and laundry so I intend to take time to stretch, read and have good nutrition !
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    zao1qk3tekp8.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Maya440 - it's hard to eat perfectly all the time. One bad day is just one bad day and life goes on the next day. I also struggle with eating past fullness, for all sorts of reasons other than hunger. It's a long journey to understand why and how to stop...a 15km trail run is a big deal (at least to me!) - something to be proud of!

I also had a hard day, we lost one of our guinea pigs today, she was a very old lady and it was her time (she'd been declining for a while), but we loved her.
  • Maya440
    Options
    Oh I am sorry you lost a guinea pig 😢
    I don’t have pets in my adult life but I had dogs and cats when I was a child and I was so attached to them.

I’m only awake for about half an hour. I have slept 10 hours ! that should help me have a good day today. I intend to do house chores in the morning. Then I have a meeting for my job and I want to stretch and maybe I’ll cook some cookies for the kids. Tonight I have a swim training with my triathlon club.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    Thank you 🙏…it sounds like an awesome day!
    I would love to do a triathlon one day, but am not a good swimmer (can only do breast stroke)…I’ve run a few races in the past and may eventually do that again, or I’ll learn how to swim properly 😂.
  • Maya440
    Options
    It is never too late to learn something new !
    Why not swimming. It is a great sport, easy on the articulations.
    I feel awesome in the water, it is not at all as demanding as running or biking.
  • henridw2095
    edited September 2023
    Options
    agreed! I had once started learning and should pick it back up...my gym even has a pool...maybe next weekend I'll take the plunge :smile:
  • Maya440
    Options
    ahah great, let me know if you went.

Again a great night sleep for me and I started the day with a 10' meditation.
    This morning I work at home and in the afternoon I am free. I have a lot of apples so I will make apple puree and sterilize it for the winter months. I hope I can do this chore partially in the sun. We have a little bit of Indian summer here. Tonight I have a run training and then a meeting with my triathlon club (for a triathlon we organize in May 2024 but it takes a lot of preparation). I will be home quite late probably.
    I have planned my day into 4 meals, hope I can stick to it:
    - banana chocolate omelette (I have my own happy chicken so I eat eggs from time to time)
    - steamed potatoes, brocoli, green peas with homemade red pepper hummus
    - chocolate soja drink and cereals
    - savoury oats with kale, green peas, seeds and lots of gember !
  • henridw2095
    Options
    sounds like a great day and a great meal plan. I love that you have your own chicken, I bet they’re fun to have around! I have heard of savory oats, but never dared to try making them.

I‘m going to be busy at work today, writing for a deadline and squeezing in other tasks. It’s a gym day as well. I too have my meals ready and prepped. Freshly made scrambled tofu and avocado toast for breakfast, green goddess salad bowl from yesterday for lunch, kala farro salad from Sunday for dinner - but have to make more vegan parmesan.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    My exercise is walking on the treadmill - I understand about the swimming but not everyone is a swimmer- I haven't swam for 60 years and don't think I would start now especially at the weight I am but think it is good if a person enjoys it

gx6e8m8x8k81.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    I prepare vegan parmesan by the kilo ahah.
    I don't like naming a food after something that isn't, so in our house we decided to call the vegan parmesan "fairy dust" :)
    I love salads but I often find that it's too much work for a simple lunch, I usually make steamed potatoes and vegetables, there's nothing to prepare...

I did 2 hours of apple peeling yesterday for the apple puree and my wrist hurts! :D

@Marilynsretired Walking on the treadmill is great. Do you listen to music or watch TV?

For today
    - savoury oats
    - steamed potatoes and vegetables with homemade tomato chutney
    - soy chocolate milk and cereals
    - vegan poke bowl (which I'll probably buy ready-made!)

and of course feel my emotions instead of eating them!
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Walking on the treadmill - I have it set up so I can see the tv and it works for me - also have it beside a window so I can have a look outside while walking - am starting to enjoy it though still finding 'exercise' time consuming and would much rather do something else.

fm8us5fj6ytx.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    I guess it can be felt as time consuming I get it.
    But maybe that thought doesn’t serve you.
    Do you find it time consuming to sleep?
    You also need it to be healthy.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Maya440 "Fairy Dust" - I love it and will steal the name!

Also learning to make exercise and healthy eating a priority - even if it means cutting down on other things that are important to me (in my case work and family time). My mental and physical health are both better since I started being serious about this.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Today, I rowed (a boat, specifically a double, a 2 person sculling (2 oars per person) boat), with my friend J. in the stroke seat. (We row opposite the direction we're looking. Stroke is the person other rowers can see, and they set the rhythm.) I rowed bow. (Bow rowers in sculling boats are responsible for steering, since they have the best view in the direction of travel (to our backs).) J. is 78 y/o (and a physical marvel), I'm 67. We rowed for around an hour.

Ovo-lacto veg breakfast before rowing was kefir, hot milk with vanilla, Ezekiel pita with crunchy natural peanut butter. Post-row snack, skim latte at the local coffee shop with 5 rowing buddies.

Lunch was oatmeal with amendments (yogurt, mixed berries, peanut butter powder, Ceylon cinnamon, blackstrap molasses, hemp hearts, ground flax seed, plain nonfat Greek yogurt), and coffee/skim milk plus iced matcha with a citrus wedge.

After lunch, a few home chores, and some coordination tasks for a race coming up this weekend. (I'm not racing, but the race is here. Some of my rowing buddies will race, plus I and others will be volunteer workers at the event.)

In the evening, I went back to the rowing club to supervise an open rowing session for newer rowers. During that, once I got our folks launched, I helped out the collegiate rowing club next door by coaching one of their new rowers on the rowing machine. After that, I helped our club rowers get boats back in the boathouse and close things up, in - by then - a fairly heavy rain.

Home again, dinner was stir-fried veg with tamari, some freeze-dried wasabi soybeans, a bit of Cambozola black label and aged gouda cheeses, some nice red wine, a heap of tomatoes with aged balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt, an Engish cucumber with herb salt. I still have 85 calories left, and all nutritional goals in, so maybe a little chocolate? (ETA: Some prunes sounded nicer than chocolate, so I ate those.)

That's a pretty typical - and pretty pleasant - day for me. (I'm a happy retiree ;) , and also generally in weight-maintenance mode post-loss).

• Maya440
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Oh, I am also a volunteer at a club sport that’s true that it takes time but socially so rewarding and fun.

Today is not an easy day for me. I have weighed myself this morning and it was not pleasant and since then my primary brain tries to take me to “all or nothing” thoughts. I let it talk or at least I try to. I will let you know how I did this evening.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    b7tyyh23lmnf.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Maya440 wrote: »
    Oh, I am also a volunteer at a club sport that’s true that it takes time but socially so rewarding and fun.

Today is not an easy day for me. I have weighed myself this morning and it was not pleasant and since then my primary brain tries to take me to “all or nothing” thoughts. I let it talk or at least I try to. I will let you know how I did this evening.

@Maya440, what sport, if you're willing to say?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Can I whine a minute here?

I have the perception that faux meat keeps getting more popular and more options are available in many stores, as well as in restaurants (which is a good thing, in the abstract).

However, it seems to me that here those things are taking over space (on shelves & menus) from traditional plant-based protein sources, like varied types of tofu, non-pseudo-meat tempeh, etc.

I can still find those things in stores, in part because we do have a couple good pan-Asian grocery stores, but it would be more convenient if I could reliably keep getting the old favorites I prefer from the stores where I've bought them previously (and where I buy other groceries - usually healthy-food-centric stores).

In standard restaurants with diverse menus here - where I may be eating with non-veg friends - it's more common that the vegetarian option is their standard burgers with an Impossible patty instead of beef, and more veg-centric options are slowly disappearing (not that there were many to start with). I can eat these, but don't find them enjoyable at all.

This is not a general diss of faux meat, but personally I prefer the traditional not-faux-anything options, and wish they would stay more available alongside the new choices.