Chat room - what's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    @Curvykinkycurls I saw that news, but it was only an abstract at a conference (could be less than solid). Personally I’m not tempted to fast (prefer frequent and regular meals).

@Maya440 I hope your starting to feel better.
  • chelseynikole9618
    chelseynikole9618 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @Curvykinkycurls regarding that piece of news about intermittent fasting and heart issues, I have to wonder what kind of diet the participants in the study were on. Because IF is very popular amongst the keto and carnivore communities! I would bet money that the heart complications they found are linked to diet more than IF. Personally after getting off keto and switching to mostly pescatarian (before going vegan) while still doing IF my cholesterol went down and my pre diabetes numbers went back to healthy and I’m no longer pre diabetic.

@Maya440 im sending you all the healing vibes!! I hope you feel much better soon.

I’m having a heck of a period and today was the first day I went over calories but I still tracked it all and I pushed myself to do a little basketball though I got way too nauseous and had to head home early. Not every day will be perfect.
  • chelseynikole9618
    Options
    Oh and @Curvykinkycurls i switched to merry people boots for outdoor work because they have arch support and it doesn’t flare up my plantar fasciitis. I’m able to wear them all day with no pain. Definitely a great investment.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,296 Member
    Options
    @Curvykinkycurls regarding that piece of news about intermittent fasting and heart issues, I have to wonder what kind of diet the participants in the study were on. Because IF is very popular amongst the keto and carnivore communities! I would bet money that the heart complications they found are linked to diet more than IF.

Nah. I'm pretty sure it was because they used nylon socks instead of cotton or wool....

It would be interesting to read more about this result to know whether or not it had any merit, but criticizing it without knowing the details is a fool's errand. My bogus suggestion it was about socks is just as valid as any other until/unless details are provided. Why assume that just because something is popular that it's healthy? And... IF is a way of eating, so if it's linked to IF then it is de facto linked to diet.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @chelseynikole9618 I’m also back in period nightmare territory. It’s almost the only thing that derails me and the last two days were super derailed in terms of overeating in the evenings without tracking. I really hate this every month, because it makes me feel defeated and out of control. My feeling is that this month was extra bad, because I was already exhausted and running on fumes going in.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your thoughts. I do agree, I'm sceptical of the information I've read so far, there's not enough information about the individuals age/diet/health/hereditary conditions and we can all only do our best and make choices we feel fit with our own wellbeing and lifestyle.
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    @Curvykinkycurls I don’t understand how fasting can be bad for the heart. It is something the human body is designed for. I always see it as going into the freezer for ressources once in while, not just in the fridge. And it helps reduce the insuline resistance. But of course, it is better to be careful if you don’t feel confident.

Thank you all for your best wishes. I had to cancel the hiking trip after all. I am feeling far better but it would not have been reasonable. The stiches will be removed tonight, I hope it is not too painful.

Sorry to hear periods derail you ladies ☹
  • chelseynikole9618
    Options
    So today I had to take my daughter to a classmates birthday party. There was vegetarian pizza (nothing vegan) and an open beer bar for the parents, but I made sure to eat some filling healthy vegan tacos before I went and brought my own sparkling zero cal drink so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat/drink socially. It was a huge NSV for myself.
    Hope everyone is doing well!
    I’ve hit a bit of a stall in my weight loss. In the first 2 weeks I dropped 9 pounds but the scale hasn’t moved since, and I’m on day 35. Wondering what to do next to try and get the scale moving down again or if I just need to be patient and trust the process.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,268 Member
    Options
    @chelseynikole9618, I'd endorse "be patient and trust the process", at least for another couple of weeks.

One common pattern is to drop weight fast during the first couple of weeks, partly fat but partly water (from the change in eating patterns). Then the next couple weeks can be rebalancing of the water weight/water retention, which masks continuing fat loss on the scale. That's especially likely if the person has increased exercise alongside cutting calories, since increased exercise tends to increase water retention.

On top of that, if you have monthly cycles, hormone-related water retention shifts can confuse matters further. (That's why it's common advice here to women to compare body weight at the same relative point in at least two different monthly cycles in order to assess weight loss rate.)

Essentially, it's looking like 9 pounds loss in about 5 weeks, which is almost two pounds a week on average - that's a good rate, overall.

Hang in there, I'm guessing you'll see a scale drop soon!
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @chelseynikole9618
    It depends a bit on the specifics (eg how you’re eating activity calories back, how fast do you plan to lose - i.e., what’s your deficit). I’m also on the slow loser side (it’s a lifestyle change) and often plateau for several weeks before losing. It can take some time finding the right deficit and approach to figuring in exercise calories. Patience is helpful, especially considering cycle related changes as well (I was almost five pounds heavier after my last period, a few days later, 3.5 are already gone again, but 1.5 remain…it’s not unusual to have a pretty large range as a female).
  • chelseynikole9618
    Options
    @AnnPT77 & @henridw2095 thank y’all for this! I am going to just stay patient. Considering I had a 9 day weird extra period when I first started this lifestyle change, and just ended my Normal period, AND I’ve been exercising every day since I’ve started this journey, I know these are all factors to consider.
  • Trillium54
    Trillium54 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey, look what came in the mail!

8u4ylwwkzo6z.png

Now to get cracking on some new recipes, lol.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Trillium54 excited to hear what you will try first! I do love the vegan parmesan substitute on page 27 (I think).
  • Trillium54
    Trillium54 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @henridw2095 : I found that recipe! It has nutritional yeast in it--something I have never used before. I'm not sure I can find it but will go looking as it seems to be in a fair number of recipes. What does it do?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,296 Member
    Options
    Trillium54 wrote: »
    @henridw2095 : I found that recipe! It has nutritional yeast in it--something I have never used before. I'm not sure I can find it but will go looking as it seems to be in a fair number of recipes. What does it do?

It has some umami flavor. I like it. It also has fiber and is actually a complete protein. I'm sure you will be able to find it. I buy it in bulk, but I've seen it in packages at Trader Joe's. It's a byproduct of the brewing process.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,268 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Trillium54 wrote: »

It has some umami flavor. I like it. It also has fiber and is actually a complete protein. I'm sure you will be able to find it. I buy it in bulk, but I've seen it in packages at Trader Joe's. It's a byproduct of the brewing process.

It also usually has vitamin B-12 added, which you would need to supplement if fully plant-based, so look for a brand that has the B-12 unless you're already supplementing that in some other way.

It's very useful: It can be sprinkled on or mixed into a lot of things, as well as being used in recipes.

Some people describe the taste as "cheesy". I like it myself, too.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Trillium54 Agreed with others, nutritional yeast is worth finding, both for the nutrition and for the flavor…I sprinkle it on lots of things too (scrambled tofu, for example), but also pasta, and avocado toast.
  • chelseynikole9618
    Options
    I use Bragg’s nutritional yeast, that’s the only one I can ever seem to find at the grocery store. Though I know Bob’s Red Mill makes one too. I use it often in creamy pasta dishes!
  • chelseynikole9618
    Options
    I’m on day two of what I think is a sinus infection. This spring season my allergies are worse than ever. I’m bummed because I haven’t been able to work out, ten minutes on my new stair stepper and I was so winded because I cannot breathe through my nose at all 😭 what sucks too is that when my seasonal allergies are bad, it causes me to have allergic reactions to certain foods like nuts, peppers, and anything spicy - I’m talking puffy face, red flush, itchy throat, puffy tongue- the whole thing! Today I had an awful reaction to a spicy black bean patty.
    On the plus side, I am taking this as an opportunity to go back on an elimination diet to identify trigger foods as someone who suffers from food allergies and chronic inflammation due to auto immune issues! Hope everyone is having a good day and has a great weekend 😊
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Oh so sorry for you @chelseynikole9618
    I hope it doesn't last too long