December End The Year Strong 2023

Options

Replies

• Kitri2020
    Kitri2020 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    @SherryRueter I was alot more active earlier.. in all honesty, i spend most of my time on here reading your posts. I have too many thoughts that come up while reading to organize into a comment so I kind of reply in my head rather than type it all out. This time though, i cant sleep.. so here i am. Love the journalling, i hope youre keeping some of this in a physical log, something you can look back on. I love revisiting old pictures and writings.

I know your questions are for @CeeBeeSlim but i thought id share my answers too.
    -My lovie and I swap gifts, honestly we buy each other too many things. Its a silent war of who can get the best gift. He can rarely keep it a secret for long once hes bought it though haha. We have fun with it.
    -I try to stay low car and high protein and i do generally stay away from grain due to allergies. Every once in awhile i will make sourdough pancakes and smother it in apple sauce for breakfast. A major carb load. So tasty, but i can definitely feel a difference in my body over the course of the day. I do much better (less brain fog, dizziness, fatigue, boating, gas) when i start the day with high protein. I usually eat a scramble of eggs, peppers, meat/sausage, spinach and avocado. Keeping hard boiled eggs in the fridge for snacking is a really great plan and i should do that.
    -I do strength and cardio. I love casual running around the neighborhood and a good ‘pumping iron’ session. Lately i have been slacking. I have been at a standstill in weight loss, but im planning to get back into morning runs. Just gotta work around the little ones schedule.
  • Kitri2020
    Kitri2020 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    P.S. im a perfectionist so i feel like i have to reply to every part of a post.. i try to pick one or two points to comment on and move on otherwise ill be mulling over how i can organize each point in a post that doesnt sound too choppy but also doesnt seem like im ignoring half or most of what you just said. In the future, if my comments are just a few sentences on one point, its not because i didnt find anything else interesting!
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @Kitri2020 AWEEEE you read my posts. I'm so touched. <3 I have not been keeping it in any journal. At least not to this length. Only a 1-2 sentence highlight. I do enjoy coming back to old threads and re-reading them. Or on Facebook, going into old challenge groups that I used to run and re-reading that stuff.
    I am NOT a perfectionist. My words come out of my head into the keyboard and I leave them alone. So whatever you respond to is A-OK. I am in NO WAY, shape or form judging anyone about anything. I was raised around a lot of males and I work in IT. more men. SO I am not used to the girl thing that women do.... kristie said this.... blah blah blah.... I wonder if she is thinking that I..... Puh-lease - they sound like they are in junior high school.

I appreciate you answering! I just didn't know you were here :smile:
    - We swap gifts also - sometimes we go half-sies with my daughter to help her out. Normally we try to limit gifts to $100-$120. Speaking of...note to self: I should send my son his Christmas $ as his sister already has her gift from us.

-I try to stay stay away from grains because I over eat them. This morning I had a piece of Keto bread, was lovely. Now I'm drinking my protein liquid+Coffee mix. with some sugar free syrup. 1 packet of Truvia.

I do much better (less brain fog, dizziness, fatigue, boating, gas) when i start the day with high protein. Me TOO!!! I didn't make time yesterday to do any hard boiled eggs, but I need to get on that sometime soon. I do have cheese sticks and apples - which is what I chose last night instead of Christmas cookies. WIN WIN

- You have littles. Nice. 95% of weight loss is what we put in our mouths. Sad but true fact.
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    Wed. There is Nothing in my work queue so I guess I get to journal here a little while :)
    I realized that I quit doing the Spoiler section, so I will add that into this post.
    12/20 we have a christmas luncheon at work...oh joy.... (i'm hoping they have salmon)

12/19: Day in review
    Interesting...I'm no longer into going to starbucks. Man, I could be getting me some triple points and yada-yada... I'd rather save my money and calories.

Yesterday.... Went SO good! I already talked about my coach...I'm so chatty it seems. After work I went to the gym with my daughter. I did an easy elliptical (not trying to kill myself pace) and listened to my instagram-24hour bubbles from the ladies I follow. One of them is named Eric (a guy), who is a personal trainer and he has a goal of 6,000 steps outside every day. He had to go out last night at 7pm in the cold...but he got it in. He also has been doing a calorie restriction, and his last weigh in he gained 2#. Anyway, all that to say that I find those things of interest. If you're on Instagram I can pass you his profile link if you'd like.

I cleaned the spare fridge out, as our in house one is so full! and I had a light salad - low on protein, high on veggies. Then an apple as my TV snack and a cheese stick at 8pm as I was thinking of a chocolate bar. I ended the day proud and, I had a couple good dreams even (which happens when I am not over eating).

Exercise: Legs and Back. A modification on P90x as I used heavy weights instead of body weight only. I also used weights instead of the pull ups. +5pm elliptical for 30mins and my 30min walk at noon. 13,000 steps.

WINS for the Day:
    [*] Hydrated 100%
    [*] Did protein shakes for all meals except dinner.
    [*] re-started coffee... I may switch to tea in a month, who knows.
    12/19: Yesterdays food was so good, I repeated it. Legs & Back P90X. Shoulder aches
    12/18: Doing a cleanse of sorts... Protein shakes all day until dinner. Chest & Back P90X. Shoulder aches
    12/17; Ate too much sweets
    12/16; Ate too much sweets - Raw cookie dough is lethal
    12/15; Shoulders = Such a good workout, but later in the morning my right shoulder has some issue. Ate too much sweets - just snacky I guess. Bad choices. Working from home makes it so easy to grab crap food.

12/07: Ate too much -did not go to sleep proud.
    12/05: Leg Day Stuck to plan 94% . Weigh in, down 1# (108.2)
    12/04: LIIFTMORE Chest day + Max 30 Tabata Strength. Also found 30mins of Elliptical time.

I am
    [*] lifting heavier
    [*] BInging less
    [*] eating less sugar
    [*] having more whole foods
    [*] eating higher protein

12/03/2023 - GYM for Back work. +20mins on the elliptical + also did a 40 min Lake walk .
    I do need to put a DINNER and DONE rule in place. Because I sometimes (recently all the time) just graze until 7pm. NOT ideal. MAJOR accomplishment - 60# PULL OVERS!!

12/02/2023 - Legs and Back P90X. 60# SLDL for 12 Reps. Felt so empowering.
    12/1 /2023 - P90X PlyoX +10mins of ab work. My shoulder doesn't' ache today. I think I will do legs tomorrow.

11/30/2023 - P90X Chest and Back, added "jump rope" style between moves- great calorie burn
    Right shoulder /neck experiencing soreness starting last night around 4:30pm. It did not hurt when I did my push ups or pull ups.

11/29/2023 - HIIT tabata workout - Max30 Max out power +10mins abs +10mins stretching

Goals December:
    [*] Go to sleep peacefully and proud- instead of with a mindset that says how bad I was today:
    [*] Have cut my weight to be 102.5 105.0
    [*] Add Core moves into my weekly routine
    [*] Eat 3 meals a day that satisfy me
    [*] Feel proud of myself and happy in my body because I am fueling my body properly
    [*] Practice self care: Nails done, a few new clothes, jewelry
    [*] Practice logging into the board daily for accountability
    [*] Practice meditation and self care daily.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great tips from your coach. Seems like it will be a valuable add to helping you reach your fitness goals!

I do a 30 minute strength training video 5x week (Caroline Girvan) on YouTube and (try to) a 30 minute steady walk on the treadmill. I’ve been doing that consistently since April/May and know I’ve gained muscle. Now just trying to reveal it all by losing some of the fat I gained. Just 4 pounds but I’ve been roller-coastering for a while.

My bad habit is inconsistency.l can be so impressively disciplined - not even depriving myself with a treat - but then blow it big time - those iced honey buns, key lime pie, lemon cookies, etc.

It is pretty quiet here but I know some of our pals are more active on their own page but I’m rarely there. And it is December. But I’ll be here!!😀😀
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    I think that simply by having someone that I am to check in with, makes it so that I want to accomplish her goal for me. It makes me more accountable to myself. Its nice that I now have a coach for myself to help me excel.

@CeeBeeSlim I love Caroline Girvan. I really wish I could hear her beeper and have spotify playing at the same time. Her playlist is Meh. Gaining muscle is always a good thing.

I guess we all have those relapse moments where we go over on food. Its likely that our Grehlin levels are High and Leptin is low ... because we have been in a very low/undereating pattern. At least that's what I heard on a podcast this morning regarding staying super lean for a long time.

• SherryRueter
    Options
    THURSDAY. MAN, I JUST WANTED A COOKIE FROMT HE BEGINNING OF THE DAY.

I opted for peanut butter keto toast with sprinkles.
    Then I deviated at lunch for a salad. I think that was the downfall. I believe if I would have had my Strawberry protein shake and fruit I would have been good
    But alas I had popcorn (more than a fair amount)
    and a couple chocolates. Okay 4 chocolates.
    and a cookie.

This all adds up to I dont sleep well when this happens.
    I *THINK* that I can have one serving of xxxxx but I still need to manage that carefully.
    Thursday I could not.

Sugar, popcorn, cookies, treats.. They don't make me feel good.
    They make me feel sick. Its an up all night ache that's not really a belly ache ... but a mental ache.
    I don't like the drug *sugar*
    Am I just starting to realize that I want to not have it again?
    Am I ready to just say no, because its just too harmful on me. The side effects of it. The physical ailements. I dont know for sure if I am but, I think I am closer today to saying that I am done with sugar long term, closer than I have been before.

It all starts with awareness they say.
    I am aware of how it makes me feel
    I am aware of how good I feel without it.
    That all counts for something.

There is am empty work queue. At least I am remote.... that helps.

I had a nice day for the christmas lunch. Perfect day really.
    It was a light lunch. I didn't have the dessert. I only had 4 bites of the salad (just wasnt into it). I haven't been into lettuce lately, but into warmer cooked veggies and I have been only eating them at dinner at night. Pretty sure I will have a shake and blueberries for lunch.

I'm kinda waiting to see if I get hungry today.

Workout : Yeserday I think I did shoulders and Arms. Today I did cardio - caroline girvan burpees for 30 minutes (how does she find 30 burpees?) and then some total body weights . 2x thru each body part.

Noon its supposed to be 60 out...so walking a local trail. I have to cover the queue until 4:30pm

WINS for Thursday Day: -- this will be challenging as I feel like I *F*d up the whole day. Lets see what I can find.
    [*] Ate perfect until 3pm. Sat with a lot of THIS SUCKS. Before giving in.
    [*] Did swap a Keto Toast instead of a cookie. I get points for that.
    [*] Protein coffee.
    [*] 15,000+ steps
    [*] Light supper, because I was ashamed and full.
    [*] I did NOT let it make me grumpy. I owned it with my family that I did have snacks and wasn't really hungry from it.
    [*] I didn't over exercise this morning, but I have taken food to be lighter so far. (Similar to how I handled monday I guess.

• SherryRueter
    Options

Goals December:
    [*] Go to sleep peacefully and proud- instead of with a mindset that says how bad I was today:
    I at least realize that I can sleep a LOT better with less food in me.

[*] Have cut my weight to be 102.5 105.0 I haven't checked but I don't see how I can possibly be below 109.0

[*] Add Core moves into my weekly routine added 2+ moves for core 5-6x a week

[*] Eat 3 meals a day that satisfy me this was supposed to be instead of snacking. This does work very well. It hasnt been daily. but maybe 3x a week....perhaps 4.

[*] Feel proud of myself and happy in my body because I am fueling my body properly when I am fueling properly.... yes
    [*] Practice self care: Nails done, a few new clothes, jewelry YES to all 3
    [*] Practice logging into the board daily for accountability Pretty close to daily. win win
    [*] Practice meditation and self care daily. I havent been as consistent with this. maybe 2x a week.

12/22: Caroline Girvan burpees 34mins and total body on my own. 2 moves ea body part.
    12/21: Shoulders and Arms- my legs were dead frm yesterday
    12/20: PiYo and Kickboxing
    12/19: Yesterdays food was so good, I repeated it. Legs & Back P90X. Shoulder aches
    12/18: Doing a cleanse of sorts... Protein shakes all day until dinner. Chest & Back P90X. Shoulder aches
    12/17; Ate too much sweets
    12/16; Ate too much sweets - Raw cookie dough is lethal
    12/15; Shoulders = Such a good workout, but later in the morning my right shoulder has some issue. Ate too much sweets - just snacky I guess. Bad choices. Working from home makes it so easy to grab crap food.

12/07: Ate too much -did not go to sleep proud.
    12/05: Leg Day Stuck to plan 94% . Weigh in, down 1# (108.2)
    12/04: LIIFTMORE Chest day + Max 30 Tabata Strength. Also found 30mins of Elliptical time.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    I could’ve done better yesterday. Don’t know why I just couldn’t say “no thanks” but my 25 year old niece who has been such as invaluable help with the eldercare duties was having a particularly bad pms-snacking episode.

Sooo - she went off to her stash of goodies (aka carbage) and kept offering me some - cheez-its, popcorn, lemon cake - it’s was a bonding thing for her. So up two -;/();$(& - pounds. I’m going to attribute part of the weight gain to some post-workout soreness - was able to significantly increase my lifting weights - and also pretty sore today.

One. Day. At. A. Time.

Let’s do this already, Shreddy Sherry! 🤣
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!
  • lhorne2
    lhorne2 Posts: 15 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I guess I joined this group several years ago and forgot about it. I have really let myself go the past year and a half. My weight goes up and down 10-12 lbs give or take. At 5'1" thats a big range. Many of my clothes no longer fit me.
    Each time the weight goes up I start to track and I lose focus after a couple of weeks. I have even let my activity slide a bit. I am hoping to get back on track this week in an effort to really zone in on my behaviors for the upcoming year. Really focusing on journaling and tracking to get my habits in check. If anyone on here is in that boat too- please feel free to comment!!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @lhorne2 Welcome and stick around! 😀. Most of us are in similar situations so we can empathize. I have a doc appt on Feb 16 and I’m hoping to lose 10 pounds by then! Gulp! 5 of those should be water weight from the past three days of holiday indulgences!

Memories over calories! 😀. I did have fun and have no regrets! 😀😀
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I hope everyone had a great holiday!

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. At first I was just really, really, reallllly lazy about posting on MFP although I was reading posts occasionally. But the last few months have been really hectic and stressful with some family stuff going on.

@CeeBeeSlim so happy to see you back here :)

And hello to the couple new members I noticed in this December thread - @lhorne2 and @Kitri2020 🖐️

I'm making a commitment to start in January to go 100% vegan at home and as vegan as I can when out. I've done it for weeks at a time, but just always fall back to eating cheese. I'm also going to cut out the processed food - it might be giving me a lot of protein, but it's also giving me a lot of sodium, sugar and preservatives. So 2024 is my year to truly go Whole Food, Plants Only!

I also have to commit to a regular gym routine - it's been pretty inconsistent since mid-September and I need my workouts back!
  • SherryRueter
    edited December 2023
    Options
    That was such a nice break from life...I mean work...

@lhorne2 Welcome and yes, PLEASE stick around! I am 5'0" but I round up... 5'1" what ever makes me feel happier at night. :smile: I am working (continueally it seems) on a 5# weight loss. I am working on tracking my food intake to hit 100-150g protein a day. And 25g Fiber a day. And calorie range from 1200-1900. I workout daily. Its just my thing. I do a lot of strength training and walk or do indoor elliptical daily....typically hitting 12,000-17000 steps daily (regardless of season). I live in Memphis TN area. Where are you from?

@Sparkspringtime69 - HIIII..... I hope that things settle down with the family stuff going on. We are pretty good listeners if you need to get things off your chest. So your plan is to go vegan 100%. How about re-framing the goal to be "Vegan forward" as in...slowlly working on progressing towards vegan. TO hit certain "numbers".... (I lack the correct words to type to get the point accross). Just...If being 100% for long term has been hard for you to stick to, maybe making it a slighty easier goal would allow you to feel more successful. AND by focusing on the positive... we reap more positive things. Just my thoughts...you do you. My goal has been cheese 1x a day 100 calories or less. Lately I have been doing Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedge for 25 calories.
    AND.... what does regular gym routine mean? Certain # per week?

@CeeBeeSlim - carbage and holidays are hand in hand. My daughter brought home a bazillion treats and sweets from her holiday party. They figured she would LOVE all the sweets. We probably have a 1 year supply. They are in the freezer in the garage so.... so far thats making it easier for me to not do it. I DO want to be able to add in a single sweet treat per day and have it as my "Joy Food" . Perhaps that will help me stick to the remainder of my day. yesterday I had a small cookie.

My coach had said for me to grab healthier items....So I am today grabbing a cheese stick as my afternoon snack time pleasure. It is in my meal plan. It fits in my macros. I also have 1/2 of a quest protein bar added as my snack - its high in fiber and protein. Today I dont have a lot of veggies in the meal plan - so the fiber is all from foods "supplemented" with fiber (Quest bar and a Tortilla high fiber wrap).

Another thing I am trying out is to divide my plate in 1/2 ... Eat 1/2 of it. and pause. AM I still hungry? NO? then wait until I am to finish it. I really think its a good strategy. Another one was to divide into thirds or fourths.

Any of you have really cold hands - Mine while working are just freeeezing.

Workout accountability : Dig Deeper (Insanity/ShaunT) - Day 2 Lowerbody + Meditation day 2 Unstressed. We really focused the meditation on the breath today. Noticing it coming in , and going out. How our navel goes in and out. It was relaxing and 7 mins. I did mine on the bike :wink:

Tip: If you want to color your text - you type in "[ color = red ] Text goes here [ / color ]" (without the space)
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    Welcome back @SparkSpringtime69! Glad you’re back. Best of luck with your goals! Is cheese your biggest temptation?

Slowly losing the sugar weight. Down almost two pounds from yesterday. Sticking with the plan with workouts, water and increasing my NEAT! Sounds like you did well over the holidays @SherryRueter.

I just need to get over the obsession with the scale weight once and for all. I’m getting stronger and increasing my weights each workout and that feels great - powerful - but also knows that sometimes comes with a lil increase in water weight and muscle. Clothes fit the same - some fat gained with the muscle but not to bad.

Rainy lazy day here. Fighting the urge to just sit around and watch dumb Lifetime TV! Interestingly this afternoon’s movie is about a woman who gets involved with her personal trainer! 🤣🤣🤣
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @SherryRueter Thank you for the suggestion, I really like the by focusing on the positive... we reap more positive things idea. I've been vegetarian for about 40 years now so moving to vegan isn't too much of a change. @CeeBeeSlim Yes my biggest temptation is cheese - if it's in the house, I'll eat it ;) . And when I eat cheese I also end up eating simple carbs with it (pastas and breads). I guess I would be pretty much "vegan forward" since I'd be reverting to vegetarian when I go out to eat, but I really want to get into the habit of making/eating only whole food, no animal products at home. And definitely no processed vegan stuff - it's soooo convenient but also full of unwanted stuff.
    A regular weekly gym routine for me is two days of step/sculpt classes, 3 days of treadmill, ST on the machines 2x/wk and a few yoga and tai chi classes.
    I'm retired so I have plenty of free time to be at the gym and to prep/cook healthy meals.
    Sherry, your workouts always sound fantastic but, meditation on a bike!!? How do you not fall off?
    CeeBeeSlim congrats on getting rid of the sugar weight. I think most of us obsess over that scale number, it's just such a quick and easy way to see change. I like to take measurements once a week or so, I think it's a better gauge when you're building muscle. I want to see the arm and thigh inches go up and the waist and hip inches go down :) That's just for me because I tend to carry almost all of my excess weight (fat) in my stomach. If you have the type of body that stores more weight in your thighs, you would of course want to see different results in you measurements. Just a suggestion.

• SherryRueter
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 - so Vegan forward. Whole Foods. Plant based.

I want to be no processed foods forward. With the occasional Protein bar or Protein shake. I know that they are both Cheap knock off's of the real thing and that the body would process whole protein better. But, since trying to give up creamer/sweetners, I have been enjoying protein shake flavors in my coffee instead. I am also toying with reducing caffiene/coffee is my only source. I do pretty good with not having the other junk (lately).

My Gym routine is 5-6 days weights, one day cardio. Presently its Upper/Lower/Totalbody/Upper/Lower/Steady state cardio. I should re-add PiYo (pilates, yoga).

I am working.... 53yr. in January. I hope that makes it only 12 more years to go (and not 20). Hubby and I do fairly good, both being in Information technology.

Sherry, your workouts always sound fantastic but, meditation on a bike!!? How do you not fall off?
    Im just sitting on the bike (the one that is like a chair, not a spin bike). and I close my eyes. so really its a glorified way to pump my legs. This morning I did stretching with the meditation.

Meditation: today was I AM. and to focus on my intentions. So we repeated I AM for a couple minutes. then breath work with focusing on my intentions as a person.... 3 minutes I suppose. Its only like a 10min. meditation but, the breath work and the focus.... I enjoy that.

@CeeBeeSlim YAY on weight loss!! I am not sure how you manage to stay at 1200 calories. It takes all my thought processing to do 1600. Today my goal is 1400-1500.

I had really obsessed over the scale until I started a 2 month journey with a coach on food freedom. She had us remove the scale for 3-4 weeks and set a date to re-weigh in. During that time I didn't track calories. Just trying to be mindful and eat when hungry ( which I still struggle with ). But, I didn't gain weight. I didn't lose any either. I was more at peace and enjoyed life and my meals more without the stress of it. I didn't have to overeat because I was celebrating a number. I didn't need to over eat because I was shaming myself. I haven't weighed in for a bit now. I don't think I've gained any/much but I know I haven't been "HUNGRY" so.... I'd rather give myself a couple weeks more. I also rarely measure my self anymore. But I do get aware as to how my jeans fit. as long as they fit - its a win win.

I used to measure and weigh myself 5 times a day back 8 years ago. yes, I used it as motivation to not eat. Yes I used it as motivation to work out more, and to skip meals. Yes, it made me weigh less overall. As I reflect back.... I don't think I need to be that girl anymore. My jeans fit. I'm happier day to day. And I don't have the stress that comes with the scale. My focus right now is on .... can I lift a little heavier? Can I do a few reps more? AND..... I'm trying (slowly) to figure out...am I hungry? and eating when I am hungry (which is the hard part). Sitting thru the sucky part is hard.

Workout post next.
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    Accountability: Total body Dig Deeper (Insanity/ShaunT) - Day 3 Lowerbody + Meditation day 3 Unstressed.

Meditation: Be your best self. Connect for 2 minutes with I AM breathing. Then focus on your intentions so you can show up as your best self. I did stretching while doing this. That worked really well and, when I return to the office Jan 9th, I should be able to keep this practice.

Total Body: Upper(Chest, Triceps, Back, Biceps); Lower (Lunges, Bench Step Up, Squat burpee), Abs (Plank Knee/elbow, Leg lowers, Plank Run);
    Executed as One Upper, One Lower, One ab.... 3x thru for 16 reps each

Tip: Your results come from your nutrition. Focus on your food intake above all else. Your extra exercise is just that, extra. Think of it this way.... You can focus on getting a quick fire by using dry grass. But to get a fire that lasts a LONG time, you have to focus on using quality material, aka wood. Focus on finding good WOOD, and stop focusing on how much grass you can find.

• SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    I want to be no processed foods forward. With the occasional Protein bar or Protein shake.

No processed foods is definitely a winning plan IMO.
    Ha, funny about the bike - I forgot about that kind of bike and pictured you precariously balancing on one of those skinny little bike seats LOL.
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    ...... I also want to have enough room for Pecan pie daily.