Food inspiration, or what's for breakfast?

Options
lauriekallis
lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
The most important meal of the day? What works for you?

Replies

• lauriekallis
    Options
    Breakfast has been a big thing for me. I think this is my new go to for a while all centred around Breakfast Dal (which I properly labelled when I put it in the freezer this time).
    There might not always be raspberries there but the clementines are a sure thing. Plus raspberries when there are good ones on sale 🙂
    With a cup of black tea (heavy on the milk) this breakfast comes to 425 calories...22g protein...56% of daily calcium. And I find it absolutely delicious!

g2nspd1j30k1.jpeg
    vdahe0cd9ny3.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    I don't normaly eat breakfast but for this I could make an exception.. still might might it to an early lunch!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Dal for breakfast- ummmm maybe not.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Dal for breakfast- ummmm maybe not.

Trying to get away from wheat - I've slipped into a slice of toast with the forever clementines & almonds routine. I want to lose the bread but think that the extra calories in the morning may be useful?

What do you eat, Yooly?

PAV8888 wrote: »
    I don't normaly eat breakfast but for this I could make an exception.. still might might it to an early lunch!

I didn't for years - only tea with milk. I added clementines (mandarins - whatever is available) when I started this weight loss journey a few ??? four ??? years ago - and added almonds when I was trying to up my fat. The toast is only this year - but am not pleased with it. This dal - which is almost sweet with the squash and fresh "morning" tastebuds - completely eliminates hunger well into the day. My problem isn't usually hunger :) but it won't be with this. And, I'm trying to up my protein always - not enjoying eggs lately, nor cheese. This works well.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Usually it’s 1 hard boiled egg, half cup blueberries or other berries, half cup Greek yogurt. That’s it! Some days that’s enough but sometimes I need a mid morning snack- crackers or cheese sticks.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Usually it’s 1 hard boiled egg, half cup blueberries or other berries, half cup Greek yogurt. That’s it! Some days that’s enough but sometimes I need a mid morning snack- crackers or cheese sticks.

I wish I could stomach (brain) a hard boiled egg - they seem just perfect. Lots of protein. Small. Easy to prepare. Portable! But nine out of ten days I just can't get one down. :(
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    When do you "break fast," PAV? What is your standard go to meal?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Coffee
    Black

No standard past that

Sometimes breakfast
    Sometimes lunch
    Really happy I don't have to coordinate with anyone 🤣🤣🤣

Sometimes random stuff: I was laughed at, can you believe it, when i was observed putting two soft chewy candies (15g of salt water taffy) on a slice of rye, which I then folded to make a candy sandwich! Apparently girls think that candy sandwich is not a food group 😱😱😱

But now that you mentioned it 😆, during that trip I had a large (not small in either quantity or calories) breakfast every day and then we tended to keep going till dinner.

Fruit/yogurt/cereal/oatmeal were the "healthier" choices

Sorry. Can't help
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I was just curious :)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    3l2o0tegxi95.jpeg

No candy sandwiches! What is wrong with you boy!😱
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Well... the laundry has a big list!!!!😳

But I did nuke a 759g bag of "best buy" California veggies (Broc, caul, car) to snack on!

And since by 13:15 I've just had pot of coffee, I think I'm going to nuke a ~400 Cal saucy dinner and have it with some of the veggies!

Instead of a candy sandwich which is a contemplated alternative.

Peer pressure! 😳

(Saucy used with Miriam Webster meaning)
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Destroyed a palak paneer pouch by dumping just about an equal weight (and higher volume) of veggies in it--essentially using the spinach as a saucy sauce!

Other than the fact that I still don't see how that tiny bit of 285g of spinach and "cheese-like" are worth a whopping 450Cal... it was good enough actually. If I were "high end" I might have even chopped my veggies a bit to make them even and pretty and all that jazz! :lol:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Had the small half of my vanilla Greek yogurt pudding mix for breakfast! 🤠
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So there's two thoughts going through my mind Laurie regarding breakfast.

I've heard what you've heard about it being the most important meal of the day. Blah blah.

I've looked at a few studies a few years back and basically did find slightly better outcomes.

Conceptually it makes sense to me that you prime the pump before the time of highest activity. So setting out for an energy consuming day you have the calories to operate. Which makes you operate at a higher level because you're not in energy conserving mode and you're full of piss and vinegar and energy to spend.

But what if your activity consists of sitting at a desk clicking on a mouse? What if your actual highest energy timeline is after work when you're actually physically active?

And more importantly, if you're trying to control calories. Way more importantly.

What actually works for you in order to better control calories?

In my personal case both have worked. In other words both delaying food start times till later in the day, or having food early and then not eating till much later for the second time. What doesn't work for me is never stopping at any point of time 🤣

But I have to say that I find it works best for me to slightly time eating around periods of activity.

So heading out for a couple of hours without having eaten tends to end up with me tanked and telegraphing in or finding reasons to cut short the activity. And coming back from a good amount of activity tends to mean that I want to eat something.

This was not always the case but it has definitely evolved to feel so over the past few years
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I definitely do breakfasts on gym days because I am ravenous afterwards. Usually need a mid morning snack too. Could eat the whole fridge!
    When I’m being a slug I can go for hours without eating.
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't do breakfast most days. Even when I go to the gym. If it is a water aerobics and Dance class day I will have an RXBar in between them. I mostly start my day, foodwise, at lunch. I try to eat something decent in the calories. Somewhere around 500 calories. With the workout calories, this allows me a decent dinner and a snack if I want it.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am going to go back to eating something small to see if it helps my energy levels some. I'm thinking things like a small container of yogurt with a bit of granola or a hard boiled egg. Under 200 calories is my goal. After a few weeks I will see if it helps or not.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Today I had a different "breakfast" - my first meal of the day - which could be considered more of a lunch? I'm being literal with the "breaking fast" idea.

2 scrambled eggs + with hot sauce the eggs were fine :)

Going to play around more with this idea. Seems everyone is up in the air on this - but mostly no breakfast ?

If I can get back into a up and at em routine in the morning - maybe my breakfast will be back to clementines and tea and this first meal will be more of a lunch :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I (often) eat after midnight. So when I'm eating something at noon how is it any different from someone who ate at 8pm and again at 7am?

Now if I were to not eat till 3pm or 5pm we're getting somewhere

Where I've been the past few years I can definitely feel a performance difference if you will if I try to both be active and not eat anything.

The first couple of years of weight loss? 100% believer on whatever works to keep the calories in the range we want to. The rest of the optimizations can follow once that starts to be in the bag
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    This week I am doing a yogurt cup, bit of granola, and some fruit.

However, I saw this on another post and will be trying it next week! I will be switching out the siracha for a different hot sauce though and leaving off the cilantro (don't want to buy a bunch just for this).

- A thin wheat round (50 cal)

- light laughing cow cheese wedge spread on wheat round (30 calories),

- 1 slice tomato (5 calories) and egg cooked sunny side up (100 calories) on top of wheat round with cheese spread.

- Top with siracha and cilantro