WeightNoMore Team Chat - MARCH 2024

Options
jugar
jugar Posts: 10,082 Member
edited March 31 in Social Groups
p0ktnwmdxo2t.png
Here is your Team chat room for March 2024. This is where you weigh in, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed! Bookmark this thread to make it easy to land here any time.

Fat2Fit has five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows - contact them any time!

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970
Mission Slimpossible - @Katmary71 and @trooworld
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and @Pupowl

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - @Slimmersixties & @NachDeezy
Mission Slimpossibles - open
Weight No More - @rachelrjh and @BodyTalking
WaistAways - @MaddawgMadsen
Shape Shifters - @LaurieWrobo and @Cyncia85

HOW IT ALL WORKS: The March challenge runs for four weeks, from March 3 - 30.

Everyone weighs in weekly on their chosen day right here in the team chat. At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win, and may everyone else get to work on next week!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every single week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard. In March we are aiming for every team to hit 50% green every week - let's do this!

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you want a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or can be moved to the Support Team for as long as you need. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally. Don't worry! You can always come back even if you get dropped.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone. You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team.

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love :heart: Introduce yourselves right away, and let the March begin!

Replies

• sydditt
    sydditt Posts: 502 Member
    edited March 1
    Options
    Hi - I’m Syd from Colorado. 48 years old with a desk job, a son at college, and a daughter in her last year of high school. My daughter plays junior roller derby and is on one of the top 5 teams in the country. Practice is 2 hours north of us every weekend. I shouldn’t complain as there are kids on her team who fly in from Texas, California and Salt Lake. The season is just starting, and I’m already exhausted.

I’ll post goals/diet/exercise in the spoiler to keep it shorter! I’m always interested in what people are doing for that stuff, but lots of people here have seen it all before. 😊
    I’ve decided to start enjoying the process of making my body look how I want it. I know it could take several years, but instead of focusing on simply losing weight, I’m trying to focus on building my body so it’s stronger and faster, and building my metabolism so I can enjoy a greater variety of foods.

I’m lifting heavy dumbbells and doing a full-body strength training 3x/week, otherwise I walk and do mobility/flexibility workouts, and throw in the occasional 20 min Spin or 10 min HIIT/run for cardiovascular health. Currently for strength, I’m in the last couple of weeks of MAPS Anabolic, and I’ve decided to do Caroline Girvan’s “Iron” series on YouTube next.

Diet: I’ve discovered that if I focus on keeping my protein at 100+ grams and fiber above 25+ grams while watching my calories, the macros and micros sort of take care of themselves.

I’ve lost over 20lb in the last 5 months, and because I’ve been lifting weights, I’m more trim and toned than the last time I saw this weight, and wearing smaller clothes. Even with my protein and weightlifting focus, my smart scale thinks that 5lb of that was muscle loss. 😢

I’ve been working on fat loss for the last five months, and my calories are now lower than where I want them. I think for April and May, I’ll switch to maintenance to reverse diet for a bit, eat closer to 150 grams of protein a day to see if I can build more muscle, then come back in June. Maybe I won’t get kicked out in the meantime? 🤫
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,277 Member
    Options
    Hi WNM.. You have a new member joining your wonderful team .. Please welcome @mightybunky :)
  • sydditt
    sydditt Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    @mightybunky Welcome!
  • mightybunky
    mightybunky Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone *waves* I'm also 48, have a full time demanding job, and looking to get my middle aged spread under control before it gets me. Weighed myself for the first time in *a while* last week and while I am still (just) in the healthy BMI range that's 20 pounds more than when I was at my fittest - and more flab, less muscle, as an overdue honest look in the mirror made clear to me. So here I am, start weight 170lb (yesterday), will be weighing in on a Monday and hoping to contribute to the team as well as my own health!
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited March 2
    Options
    Welcome new members 👋😀

I'm Mairi, 53, living in Czechia, from Scotland, teaching English and trying to get my body and mind into better shape.

I'm currently in the process of increasing my daily step count, paying attention to my calorie intake (most of the time), adding exercises to work on my BLABs (belly, legs, arms, bust) and working towards feeling comfortable in my clothes that haven't been worn for ages because they no longer fit.
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Hi WeightNoMore Team Members!!

@jugar has set up a 75 Day Challenge that starts Sunday, March 3rd and runs until May 17th. I’m joining it and really would enjoy it if more of my fellow WNM teammates joined in as well!
    Here’s the link and just book mark it, so that you can remember to check in daily and post your progress.
    Set up your challenge goals when you get there. 😀😀

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10910763/75-hard-medium-easy-challenge-march-3-may-17/p1?new=1
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    BodyTalking
    Steps Total, 25Feb-02Mar: 64,611
    S 9428
    M 7118
    T 8673
    W 8074
    T 14450
    F 8360
    S 8434

Daily Cheers to a BETTER ME!
    🟥🟧🟨🟩🟦🟪🟫 (Sun-Sat)
    🩷🧡💛💚💙💜🤎 7,000+ Steps
    🩷🧡💛💚💙💜🤎 Excs/Meditate
    🩷❔❔❔❔💜🤎 Caloric deficit
    🩷🧡💛💚💙💜🤎 1.5+ ltr water
    🦉🧡💛💚🦉💜🤎 6+ hrs Sleep

I put my steps into February's chat but should probably have put it here.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,082 Member
    Options
    For anyone looking for a longer challenge - we are running a F2F version of "75 Hard" open to everyone from all the teams. It is really 75 hard-medium-or easy! 75 days of commitment and consistency from March 3 - May 17. If you'd like to give it a go, here's the thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10910763/75-hard-medium-easy-challenge-march-3-may-17#latest
  • Losingweekly
    Losingweekly Posts: 14 Member
    edited March 3
    Options
    Weigh in Day is Sunday
    Starting Wt: 171.4
    PW: 169.2
    CW: 168.8

Wt. Loss this week: 0.4
    Total Wt. Loss: 2.6
    Steps: 43,014
  • Emilienewme
    Emilienewme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @melaniedscott here are my steps for the week
    Total: 74338

jov51xoiugz2.png
  • andja87
    andja87 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    syh4oaag6gc7.jpeg
  • CassieGetsFit2013
    CassieGetsFit2013 Posts: 573 Member
    edited March 3
    Options
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW (Previous Weight): 229.2
    CW (Current Weight): 230.4

This damn 230 is TAUNTING me! I can't seem to shake it for the life of me! But a few things to take from this week are, I tried zoodles, (zucchini noodles) for maybe my 2nd time ever instead of having spaghetti noodles with the family, and LOVED them! So I will have those from now on when we have spaghetti, and I might even eat them with other things. Another thing is I've been waking up at 8am every morning since my Aunt had her surgery, so it's helping me eat a little earlier and take my morning meds like I'm supposed to, even if it's not until 9-11 still, working my way back since I'm not a morning eater, but need food with my meds. And lastly, my younger brother walked to my house one day, it's 1.8 miles and made me go walking with him, since then he's asked every single morning, but every single morning I've turned him down. Mostly because it takes me longer to get ready, and I have to care for my Aunt, and I have pets, he doesn't have anything to have to take care of and can just throw on his shoes and go out the door. But, also I have terrible shoes for walking so I just purchased some walking shoes and they should arrive in a few days, and I'm excited about that because I hope that means I can go on more walks and not have painful feet! And the very last thing is that we bought a new pool! It's bigger than our old one by 3 more feet around and I think 4 more inches deep. But once we get that set up, that will be GREAT for exercise and I hope to get in it as much as possible! I know before, swimming made me seem like I was starving when I got out and I'd cram anything in my mouth to not feel starved, so I just gotta pick things I'm going to eat before I swim, and try to stick with that! I was going to have a semi-cheat day today like I normally do on weigh in days, but since I gained a pound back, I don't thinkci want to do that. And we're supposed to have frozen pizza for dinner tonight, so guess I'll see how many slices I can afford...sorry for such a long post, this may be my longest one yet and I don't usually say anything through out the week until my weigh in days, lol.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Your March Week 1 Group Challenge is active and will run through Saturday, March 9th. Please join us for the ADD, SUBTRACT, MULTIPLY and DIVIDE CHALLENGE! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10910818/march-week-1-group-challenge-add-subtract-multiply-and-divide-challenge#latest

Hope to see you in the chat thread this week! Time to start some new habits!
    Jessica :blush:
  • mightybunky
    mightybunky Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @BodyTalking I really hear you about the clothes not fitting. I've been wearing the same pair of forgiving jeans all winter, went to put on some smart spring trousers yesterday and it was obvious where those extra 20 pounds are sitting 😞 And going for a run today for first time in a while, only one pair of leggings fit and even then figure hugging is not in it. All part of the wake up call, I am determined to fit back in to all of it.

Well done on all your steps!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Hey WeightNoMores! Welcome to ... MARCH! I'm excited to see where the month will take us!

Anyway, I'm Ashley, I'll be one of your two co-captains here to guide you through the month (and even longer, if you'll stick around with us).

While most of this information has been copied and pasted, I have updated some of my information to be more current and accurate. And if there are any questions, any at all, please do not hesitate to ask. I'm more than willing to talk about my struggles, my digestive tract, my sleep schedule, how starting a new relationship stresses me about because there are very few healthy date foods and I don't want to look like that person, how lifting heavy saves me from potentially beating up my coworkers, stress baking, stress eating... you get the idea.

There's a lot of content here, and it's spoilered, so it doesn't make a long post even longer. You get to pick and choose what you read.
    ~ THE BASICS ~
    Name: Ashley
    Pronouns: she/her
    Occupation: Chemical Engineer and Certified Personal Trainer (since November 2023!)
    Height: 5'7"
    Highest Weight: 234lbs
    Current Weight: 183lbs
    Lowest Weight: 6lb 10oz (August 28th, 1995)
    Lowest Non-Infant Weight: 155lbs (although there were some heavy ED vibes, so I wouldn't romanticize that time of my life too much)
    Medical Diagnosis: Multiple Sclerosis
    ~ MY HEALTH STORY ~
    I grew up in a Clean Plates Club™ household, with the idea that food could stuff down any emotion and mask any discomfort. This led to being bullied as a child, expecting people to be mean to me in middle and high school (and then being mean to people first so they didn't have the chance), having an identity crisis in college, and being scared (ahem) poopless after a doctor told me I was on the edge of being pre-diabetic.

I used this fear to catapult me into fitness, starting with indoor cycling classes. I expanded into trying out OrangeTheory, Barry's Bootcamp, F45, and numerous smaller boutique fitness studios. Eventually, I landed on a nice gym that offers group fitness but also allows you to use their equipment for your own personal use. That, combined with having a personal training session once a week, and dropping into group fitness studios from time to time, has led me to have a balanced fitness routine.

In the middle of me getting my (ahem) stuff together, November 2019, I had my first major Multiple Sclerosis relapse and could not feel half of my body. At the time, I had no diagnosis and did not know what was going on outside of the sensation of pins and needles on my left side. After playing a rousing game of Musical Neurologists™, I found a doctor who did not believe my condition to be severe anxiety. He ordered an MRI and a spinal tap, and I was on my way. 14 vials of blood, 2 MRIs, and one spinal tap later, I had a diagnosis. My symptoms are mostly manageable, and my active lifestyle along with reasonably healthy eating has allowed me to continue on with my life without much interruption. My next MRI is in a week, and I hope it shows no further deterioration, as there is currently no cure for MS.

And now? Now I'm focused on building muscle, maintaining my cardiovascular health, and holding back the icky side effects of the autoimmune disorder. Losing weight would be fantastic, but it's not my focus anymore. I've also become a certified personal trainer, with the intent to make fitness more accessible for those with chronic illness. Oh boy, do I have some new fun facts bouncing around in my brain.

The plan for this month is to find somewhere to take my personal training certification. My original lead did not pan out, for a myriad of reasons, so I am back to the drawing board.
    ~ FUN NUMBERS ~
    Number of Spin Classes Attended: 1175
    Deadlift Personal Best: 180 lbs
    Squat Personal Best: 160 lbs
    Fastest Mile Run: 6m 11s
    Percent Body Fat: 27%
    Times "Started Over": Too High to Count
    ~ THINGS TO KNOW ~
    • I am a moderator for F2F, so if something doesn't look right, you can let me know and I'll take care of it.
    • As a chemical engineer and certified personal trainer, I am VERY familiar with a lot of the chemicals we put into our bodies, and numbers are my friends. I also do research for a living. You want facts? I'm your girl. I am always (ALWAYS) happy to explain the science behind something.
    • I used to have a blog on MFP before they removed the blog feature. I didn't save everything I ever wrote, but you can find some of it here: LINK
    • I am an open book. You want to know about life with MS? Just ask. You want to know when my last bowel movement was? Just ask. You want my maple donut cookie recipe? Just ask. There is not a single topic I am unwilling to chat about - all it takes is asking the right questions.
    ~ CURRENT STRUGGLES ~
    My weight has been slowly increasing over the past year. And even though I know there's been quite a bit of muscle growth, and plenty of sources of water retention, it's getting to me.

In an attempt to quell my anxieties, I ordered a new scale.

I know what you're thinking. Obsessing over my weight even more will not help.

But that's not why I ordered a new scale. This new scale has a couple built in features I'm excited to try out, tracking a dozen more metrics than a standard scale, including BMI, body fat percentages, muscle mass, etc. I am hoping (HOPING) that these new numbers will help me re-center myself and trust that this slow process is working for me, that my plan to build muscle to increase my basal metabolic rate (BMR) while losing fat from a slight caloric deficit has been benefitting me.

Because sure, my BMI claims I'm overweight. It's been decades since I haven't been overweight. But I know I'm more muscular than I've ever been at 180lbs, and I've been here several times before. And I know I can do far more than I ever could previously.

So, it's going to be okay. But my brain needs a few more numbers, just a little more data, before it believes that.

UPDATE - OCTOBER: The new scale was incredibly helpful. Here's what I posted soon after testing it out:
    ~ New NSV!!! ~

I mentioned in my long rambling post about myself that I ordered a new scale to better track the numbers in a way that matters, and oh boy was that a smart idea. I have the results of the InBody scan I did way back in May last year, when I was actively participating in a challenge at my gym at the time, F45. And while there are some things to be wary of when comparing two different methods of obtaining these numbers, I am still ridiculously proud of how far I've come.

Let's take a look...

May 9th, 2022

Weight - 177.1 lbs
    BMI - 27.7 kg/m2
    Skeletal Muscle Mass - 74.3 lbs

September 8th, 2023

Weight - 179.4 lbs
    BMI - 28.2 kg/m2
    Skeletal Muscle Mass - 88.2 lbs

But what does this mean?

So here's the thing. My weight went up. For a lot of people, this is a huge no-no. And because my weight went up, so did my BMI, because BMI is based solely on weight and height, not levels of health. I wrote a blog post back in the days when MFP still had the blog feature (I was smart and made a copy of this blog, so if you want to read it, you can click here).

But let me draw your attention to what I'm actually proud of: Skeletal Muscle Mass. According to what my special scale told me this morning, I've gained almost 14 whole pounds of muscle over the past 16 months. And if I gained 14 pounds of muscle, but only 2 pounds of weight, that also means I've lost approximately 12 pounds of fat, give or take a pound or two to account for hydration levels and how much heavier my hair may have gotten.

All of this is to say that the number on the scale isn't the whole picture. I can already see a couple issues I have with the measurements my new scale has taken, because there's way too many variables that could affect the values they're giving me, but it's a lovely way to compare my values one day to my values on another, and that's a better picture than a standard weight-only scale could ever provide.

UPDATE - November: I still have a couple issues with the numbers I've been seeing, but the slight shifts from day to day have aligned reasonably well with my eating/exercise habits, so I can't complain too much.

UPDATE - December: I've been out of control with my eating recently, but I think I've discovered several of my triggers to overeat, and I have a plan to regain control. It's just a matter of doing the damn thing.

UPDATE - February: My weight has mostly stabilized, so now I'm focusing on the little details and paying attention to their impact on my weight, essentially treating my body like a science experiment. Stay tuned.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    @BodyTalking and @mightybunky - Clothes not fitting is the WORST. I think I have a full drawer of shorts that fit at one point way back in the day, but haven't fit since. I keep them in that drawer with the thought that I'll wear them again, but instead rotate through the same three pairs over and over again when summer comes around.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png

najy10w2a5ui.png
    udzkppqz1wal.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    oz1u2q99z3fr.png

By Pounds
    pay5bq2zxrr3.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    mrd54f1693ow.png

By Pounds
    3o8w2bissico.png
    s4bkab4r7446.png

Team Winners
    3vjiduuewfyg.png

Percentage of Members in the Green!
    rm9tn3o8ryjk.png
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png
    fft8k8ip7ll9.png
    zcw0os0y0yhr.png
    wxi64lzg5cdg.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    567zghjr3bsq.png

By Pounds
    2o3odypkm0hq.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    zfsny1gal8bo.png

By Pounds
    lcxgky9e5s90.png
    iktyj9grneo1.png

Team Winners
    x3p261x75jfh.png
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    edited March 3
    Options
    Big Shoutout to our Winners!
    Thank you for your contributions to the team, and being an inspiration to us all!

Our incredibly green members:

Our big milestones this month:
    @andja87 - 60 pounds lost!
    @Marcy2890 - 40 pounds lost!
    @sydditt - 20 pounds lost!

If you think you're seeing the same names over and over again, you don't have to get your eyes checked - this is the power of consistency and making good changes. The little things add up and these lovely folks have proven it!
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    ih10hc5idoua.jpeg
    7k4f2egzfkz3.jpeg
This discussion has been closed.