March Mindfulness Challenge 2024

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
Life is...well....it's LIFE, isn't it? It can be good. It can also be busy, frantic, and sometimes, downright chaotic. We are pulled so many directions but so many situations and distractions. When do we have time to breathe, let alone live in the moment?

So this month, I think it would be excellent to challenge ourselves to incorporate mindfulness into our journey to health. Plus, it works with the whole alliteration thing.

Morwenna Ferrier (writer for the Guardian) defines the new fad-term "mindfulness" this way: "The whole ethos of mindfulness is to encourage people to live in the moment. The theory goes that we are so busy trying to block out past worries and anticipate future ones that we rarely concentrate on enjoying what we are doing at the precise moment we are doing it. Devotees claim mindfulness can be applied to everything from walking and running to sex and eating." http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/23/mindful-eating-how-to-get-more-from-your-meals

But I challenge that it isn't only about enjoyment. It's about AWARENESS. That's how we diagnose the elusive issue we carry, the sneaky ones that fly under our radar, but continue to throw a wrench into our efforts. So much about success in weight loss and health is about healing our dysfunctional relationships with food and other things in our lives, so we are free from the impetus of stress and emotions that often spurs us to sabotage ourselves.

So in that vein, the challenge is to practice some form of mindfulness by pausing and observing what happens in our heads and bodies when we eat or exercise, to be aware. And maybe then we can enjoy our journey more and discover any hang-ups we've missed and lock them down.

And, of course, being mindful of the Low-Carb Basics:
Planning ahead!!!
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because you must! "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

So. Let us know where you'd like to apply mindfulness this month, to whichever food or fitness or health area is applicable to your life.

But anyone who doesn't want to mess with "mindfulness techniques" and just wants to carry on what they were doing on the challenge last month, feel free to join, too. Paying attention to what we are doing is being mindful anyway. :wink:

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    March SW: 205.4
    March GW: 201

Starting off with a tweaked lower back. :eyeroll:
    bleh

Anyway, working on the mindfulness and slowing down the shovelling.
    Trying to pay more attention.
    Here we go!
  • JustVickiLynn
    JustVickiLynn Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 1
    Options
    March SW: 238.7
    March GW: 234

I ordered bathing suits in a size smaller which arrived last night. I got them both on although one is a little more snug than I like. BUT THEY ARE A SIZE SMALLER!! Motivation for another month of doable changes.

I signed up for two community center classes in my neighborhood. One starts tomorrow - line dancing. Then I will be deep water running two nights a week.

Last NSV for me . . . I met my 4,000 step goal today!
  • YvonnePM
    YvonnePM Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    March SW: 251.9
    March GW: 245

In the past I've been successful following a low carb/high protein program. Several health issues threw me off track but now I am back to following the plan. I started my journey at 304lbs and it took me a year to lose 50+ lbs. I know that being motivated is helpful and I've been looking for that. I am trying to be mindful of my nutrition choices. One of the things that has been helpful for me is to find a quote that has meaning for my life. My quote for this week is "Life is a dance. Mindfulness is witnessing that dance." by Amit Ray.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Goals for March are to lose 5 pounds. Yes, I know it is possible. Eat keto all month. Keep up my exercise program.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,308 Member
    Options
    PW: 252.8
    CW: 249.2
    March Goals
    : Home Gym for 30 minutes 5 days a week
    : Stay with Keto
    : Meal prep with my daughter's help
    : Drink 140 oz of water daily
    : Get at least 5 hours of sleep

Leg/ankle still giving me a lot of pain but I am tired of not doing anything so we will be taking it slow
  • rileysowner
    Options
    March is going well so far. The bouncing around between 182 and 179 has finally broken through to dropping a bunch of weight in the past several days. I am now down to 175, right at the cusp of moving into the normal weight category based on BMI. I figured I was likely losing fat while my weight was stuck bouncing around in that 4 pound range since my clothing was getting looser. Now I know that something was masking the fat loss. Either way, I am happy things are progressing again.
  • YvonnePM
    Options
    Just something to think about: "Mindfulness is a pause - the space between stimulus and response: that's where choice lies." Toro Broch
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I strongly agree with the AWARENESS. That's probably the biggest part for me. Half of my Feb was impacted by a cold and all of Feb impacted by stress. I am the one who has to change that and must be aware daily of notable daily differences in my mood and mindset.

Yesterday I did a double workout and feel it today, but it's a GOOD I feel it. My cold is almost gone but how I manage the work stress is something I need to focus on. Stress induced anger is my default and I need to change that because I get the urge to binge when angry. Luckily there isn't much to binge on in the house.

CW 177 ( I knew that would be up today from water retention/inflammation)
    March GW 172

I just need to keep moving, during and after my work day.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’m late to the party but like the mindfulness mindset. I too, need to focus on stress, recovery and how much I eat/ how it makes me feel. I’ve started some breathing exercises in the last week and some new yoga vids so I’d like to keep that up and see where it takes me.

Just tonight, I mindlessly ate dinner in front of the tv and realized too late that it was too much.
  • YvonnePM
    Options
    March SW: 252.2

The week didn't go as planned. However, I have learned much. Planning to begin using indoor walking videos today. I'm still working on being mindful of when my urges to eat something sweet occurs and have determined that evenings are my problem. I wind down from the days activities and the urge to have something sweet is almost overwhelming. Hoping the additional activity of indoor walking helps with my determination. My plan is still in place just adding more activity.

The last thing I do before retiring for the night is to assess my day and plan for tomorrow. I'm always trying to figure out the puzzle that is me.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    The last week or so has been fairly successful and I’m finding I’m more mindful than I thought. I’m recognizing when I get the urge to snack or have something sweet that I’m bored and not really hungry. I’m listening to my body when I need a break to rest and recover- that’s hard for me being a type A, take charge kinda person. I’m still working on stress as a focus to see if I can make some positive changes. I’m finding I appreciate the self care. I keep prioritizing my protein and strength training, hoping I can burn some fat soon.
  • YvonnePM
    Options
    Current: 249.4

I love that you keep prioritizing. I've been doing some of that myself. I've started being proactive about movement and began an indoor walking program. I'm up to 2000 steps every day. When I write that down it doesn't seem like much but for me it's a "win". Next week I will increase that goal. I'm walking purposefully and completing a 5-minute video of indoor walking 4 times each day. It's amazing that I make additional trips around the house to increase it just a bit.
  • YvonnePM
    Options
    Current: 248.6

There's a quiet space between positive and negative. That's where mindfulness lives. It's like saying "wait a minute" while you think about the options. In the middle of that quiet space I've been walking, consistently walking. This week my scale is going in the right direction because walking in the quiet space has allowed me to make better decisions. I feel really good about the way things are going.
  • JustVickiLynn
    JustVickiLynn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    March SW: 238.7
    March GW: 234

I've been doing deep water running classes this month. I love being in the pool! I don't even realize I've been moving the entire time and before I know it - it's over. I'm not sure I'll be at my GW for this month. However - my word of the year is "endurance". That's just sticking with the plan. Even when I make a mistake - I start making good choices at the VERY NEXT MEAL.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Work continues to be my primary source of stress and roadblock to my progress. Last week was a huge fail on all my goals. I did have a great weekend to reset and refocus and yesterday was a nice easy workday. I did my strength training at lunch then to a yoga class before dinner. Today I'm a bit sore in the shoulders so will go for a walk after work. Need to get in plenty of water today and will weigh in tomorrow on my new scale.

Have a great day all!
  • Awegg05
    Awegg05 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    PW: 252.8
    CW: 249.2
    March Goals
    : Home Gym for 30 minutes 5 days a week
    : Stay with Keto
    : Meal prep with my daughter's help
    : Drink 140 oz of water daily
    : Get at least 5 hours of sleep

Leg/ankle still giving me a lot of pain but I am tired of not doing anything so we will be taking it slow

Are you looking for a keto buddy?!
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I had a successful 3 days away. I basically ate carnivore the whole time since the breakfast included at the hotel we stayed at always had some combination of bacon, pork sausage, turkey sausage, and hard boiled eggs. I could fill up in the morning, and I wouldn't be hungry until the end of the day. Progress this month is going well. I just realized that the Easter weekend is at the very end of the month, so I will be eating a lot, even if I stick to ketovore, which will mask any weight loss for the month. I may call it a month on the 28th or 29th. I will see.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    I've officially reached the age where I tweaked my knee......walking down my stairs. That is all.

• rileysowner
    Options
    I've officially reached the age where I tweaked my knee......walking down my stairs. That is all.

I am at the age where I tweaked my back drying off after a shower, not to mention occasionally sleeping wrong. The struggle is real.
    :-D
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Not a good Sunday for eating or weekend for working out. I didn't sleep well Friday to Saturday so I put my workout back to Sunday since I didn't want to injure myself simply because I was too tired. Sunday, I had more energy, but no motivation, so the workout didn't happen. What did happen, is even though I ate Keto, I ate way too much. I have the proverbial hollow leg. I am feeling much more motivated and less hungry today, so back at it.