JUMP IN June 2024 Challenge

baconslave
baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
New month knocking on the door, new challenge!
This month's theme came to us a couple years ago courtesy of a member. I liked the idea so much, I decided to use it again this year. And also, it was already dreamed up, and I'm busy. :bigsmile:
kfat1 wrote: »
JUMP IN June....a motivational challenge? Jump on in, feet first, full steam ahead, make a plan and jump right into it with all your determination, no excuses, just get it done! Make weekly goals, challenges and just jump in and do it! By the end of June, look back at your challenges and see which ones you JUMPED IN and GOT DONE!

Excellent idea!

The challenge starts June 1st. So go ahead and post your goals, whether it be nailing down plan Basics, increasing your fitness, or adopting healthy habits. Anything is fair game as long as it's in pursuit of your health or fitness. :+1:

Jump on in!
b8aacaba6695bbc94f0df05cd4546bf9.jpg

Replies

• BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 361 Member
    After not being able to walk due to a knee injury, my goal is to be able to walk 10,000 steps every day by June 30th. I've never been much of a walker to begin with and I'm 77 years old. I'm walking 2500 now.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    After not being able to walk due to a knee injury, my goal is to be able to walk 10,000 steps every day by June 30th. I've never been much of a walker to begin with and I'm 77 years old. I'm walking 2500 now.

Great goal.
  • CinnamonScallop
    CinnamonScallop Posts: 15 Member
    Hey there, I'm thinking this could be a great place to stay motivated! Thanks for posting, I would love to join the challenge. For the month of June, I'd like to challenge myself to keep my carb intake low (still learning exactly what those numbers should be for me, but right now for me that means no to low breads/grains/rice etc etc, no to low sugar), 30 squats a day, 100 situps a day. 1 break day a week.
  • Hot_Potatoe915
    Hot_Potatoe915 Posts: 3 Member
    I’d love to jump in and practice gratitude for my body regardless of how I feel about it in this moment.
    I take it for granted and abuse it without realizing how much it does for me every single day.
    In June I’d like to focus on something to be grateful for each week and be more conscious about it.
  • rileysowner
    I think my June goal will be activity based. I currently do my strength training every third day, and that seems to provide sufficient recovery time so I am progressing well. My goal is the other day. My June goal, beyond continuing to eat Keto, is to have at least 5 days a week of intentional exercise activity whether that is walking, biking, kayaking, quick body weight workout, whatever. Five days a week of intentional exercise activity.
  • mjohemme
    mjohemme Posts: 356 Member
    I'm doing low-carb (per nutritionist), not keto, as I have to also watch fat intake. My goal this month is to get my protein in while keeping my fat in check (per doctor). I have my goals at 35% protein, 35% fat and 30% carbs right now (beginning of journey) and in May I kept going over on my proportion of fat calories in my attempts to get my protein in. This month I will pay more attention to where my fats are coming from while still working on consistently getting my protein in and keeping net carbs down.
  • BarbMessimer
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 ... I'm sorry to hear about your fractures. Hope you heal real fast!
  • rileysowner
    I wont be joining you for awhile... I just saw my surgeon the other day and I have a fracture on top of my foot and one near my ankle... I am in a lot of pain so I am not doing keto at this time.. It is too difficult at this time I can not stand long ... I may need a 11th surgery not sure yet ...I hope everyone reaches their goals and I hope to be back with you guys down the road ...Kill it guys

That stinks. Heal up well.
  • BarbMessimer
    Went to the flea market, walked around (had to find a place to sit at times) but got my 2500 steps in. Tomorrow I'm going for 3000.
  • annkeane892
    annkeane892 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everyone
    I'm ready to jump in on the June challenge. My primary goal is to lose weight and be over all healthier. I am at 205 lbs now which is the heaviest I have ever been. I work as a palliative nurse as well as a nurse for Veterans Affairs so very busy with work and have neglected my own health in the mean time. I am determined to change this around. I am focusing on my daily routines and adding morning and evening exercises. I am also focusing on reducing my carb intake to help my body to become a fat burner. I will view any failures as lessons and jump right back on the bad wagon. Good luck to everyone
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 510 Member
    Since I am having leg issues (knee, calf muscles), I won't be doing any physical cardio workouts. I am going to try to do more upper body workouts, and trying to strengthen the muscles around my knee. I also need to concentrate on my carb intake. So starting small to get back in the groove!
  • BarbMessimer
    My leg muscles are getting stronger but I'm very tired.... so will listen to my body and not do so much today. Not going to strive for 2500 steps. Feel I need rest.
  • rileysowner
    Excellent workout today in spite of only getting 5 and a half hours of sleep last night. Most of my weights or reps went up. My newest workout variations which I started my last workout is about an hour and a half to get through. I could shorten it by super setting some of the exercises, but for now I am leaving it alone. Maybe in 5-6 weeks I will switch the workout to something that I can do in under an hour, but I am liking this program so far.

As for keeping up with my goals for this month, that is going well also. I have been intentionally active 4 days this week, so with Saturday still to come, I should meet my intentionally activity at least 5 days per week. Keto eating has been good. One night I ate far more calories than I should have, but I didn't go over my TDEE for the day, so not too bad of a situation of overeating.
  • BarbMessimer
    I'm going to have to cancel my walking goal for this month. Having heart issues and a heart procedure next week. Have to "lay low" for a while. Hope everyone meets their goals for this month! See ya latah!
  • rileysowner
    I'm going to have to cancel my walking goal for this month. Having heart issues and a heart procedure next week. Have to "lay low" for a while. Hope everyone meets their goals for this month! See ya latah!

That stinks. All the best.
  • Marileighea
    Marileighea Posts: 1,649 Member
    @BarbMessimer - so sorry about your issues…hope you’ll be back with the program soon. I’m having “don’t wanna”” issues, and plan to begin again right now!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I've been MIA for a couple weeks. We were away at the beach for a week. LOTS of walking and normal eating. Getting back into my routine has taken longer than I wanted. Did strength training and yoga Monday, rest day Tue then volunteered at a food booth for the Boys & Girls Club at our local arena last night. THAT was a workout, I manned the fryer for 4 hours and the we cleaned! I am thoroughly exhausted today. Weather will be beautiful today, may get out my bike for a ride after work or just take a nap in the back yard LOL. I might be able to manage both ;)

• rileysowner
    My workouts have not been happening over the past several days because I was either ill or quite sore. I did my strength training this morning, and am still feeling quite good, but I won't be getting my five days of intentional activity this week as I now only have one. It has been so long since I have actually been ill, that I forgot how miserable it is. I still have some after affects, so hopefully I was not rushing into lifting again.
  • rileysowner
    I am not doing very well at my 5 days per week of intentional activity this month. My excuse is mainly that I have not been feeling well, but really, I still could have went for a walk. Anyway, eating has been on point carb wise, albeit, occasionally I have been over on my calories for the day. An NSV today was that I now wear men's 32 waist. I don't think I have fit into that since I was maybe 14 or 15. Now it fits perfectly. To put that in perspective, last year in February or March I was wearing men's 42 or 44. That is down 10-12 on the waist size. I am extremely happy about that other than the number of pants I purchased that are 34 or 36.
  • rileysowner
    I didn't get in my 5 days of intentional activity in the past week. Only 3 days this time. I was pretty much on point with keeping it keto except for last night. My wife has a package of Good Protein Bars. I looked at the nutritional information, and they come out as 2 net carbs when subtracting the fiber and sugar alcohols from the total carbs. I enjoyed one, then read the ingredients and the sugar alcohol in question is maltitol which has a glycemic index of 35. Yes, that is better than the 65 of sugar, but it is still like eating sugar for me. That kicked me out of ketosis. I am sure I will be back into it in a day or so, but a good reminder for me that I need to read the ingredients before indulging in something like that.
  • rileysowner
    Weight is less of a day to day or even week to week goal for me at this point. I do weigh myself every morning, and this morning I was 169.8 pounds. First, that is my first time below 170 pounds since likely highschool and I am 57 now. Second, it means my goal weight of 165 is less than 5 pounds away. The losses have been slow, as expected, for the last several months, so it is nice to see progress.
  • tishsmith101
    Weighing in is the same for me. If I go too many days without stepping on the scale, I tend to let things get out of hand. I'm currently at my highest non pregnant weight and don't feel great. Turning 60 was a gift considering my history and I need to get back on my game. I dislike feeling bloated and tired so often and not fitting half my clothes. Yesterday I started logging my food again. One step at a time, one day at a time.
  • rileysowner
    I have been struggling with back pain this week. I tweaked my low back during my strength workout on Sunday afternoon. It didn't seem that bad then, but by Monday it was very stiff and achy. After a day of work which is lots of sitting interspersed with getting 55 pound bags of feed for customers, my back went from achy to sore. Tuesday was more of the same with a connected increase in back pain. Wednesday, I called in for a sick day to let my back rest. I am feeling significantly better today, so hopefully work won't aggravate it again. I will be seeing my chiropractor tonight. I doubt that will help this as it is more of a muscle thing, but maybe it will. Either way, I skipped my weight workout on Wednesday. I have stayed active on the exercise bike though in spite of the heat we have been experiencing that last few days.
  • tishsmith101
    @rileysowner Good for you for sticking to most of your workouts :) Def rest as needed.

• rileysowner
    My back is getting better. Now is the challenge of not starting back into my strength program too soon. I really want to get back to it, but I know it will likely not be until the middle or end of next week that my back could handle it. I will likely start some body weight exercises that focus on getting my mobility back in things like squats as the tightness in my low back is really limiting that particular motion.

One another topic. With the removal of the newfeed here, I have been shopping around for other calorie tracking platforms. None of them have a newfeed, but I have pretty much settled on Mynetdiary. There are a group of MFP people who have moved there, and that platform seems more open to suggestion that MFP is. If you don't see me around here as much, that it why. I likely will continue with the challenges as the Keto group there is really quiet and the groups area through the app is completely different than the one through the webpage. The webpage one is basically completely inactive, while the one through the app is just quiet.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
    My back is getting better. Now is the challenge of not starting back into my strength program too soon. I really want to get back to it, but I know it will likely not be until the middle or end of next week that my back could handle it. I will likely start some body weight exercises that focus on getting my mobility back in things like squats as the tightness in my low back is really limiting that particular motion.

One another topic. With the removal of the newfeed here, I have been shopping around for other calorie tracking platforms. None of them have a newfeed, but I have pretty much settled on Mynetdiary. There are a group of MFP people who have moved there, and that platform seems more open to suggestion that MFP is. If you don't see me around here as much, that it why. I likely will continue with the challenges as the Keto group there is really quiet and the groups area through the app is completely different than the one through the webpage. The webpage one is basically completely inactive, while the one through the app is just quiet.

Thanks for bringing that up. I didn't even know as I basically use the app for food recording and the website for community so I haven't checked the Feed in years. Might check it out.

I mean... I've been here about 10 years now. We took a big hit once Facebook Groups took off and lost a lot of active members. You notice this is kinda limping along in here. *sigh* Accountability and support were HUGE for me losing the weight. And all my support areas fell through since the slow exodus. Since I regained this past year, it's been really hard for me to stay on track.

I am on track currently. *fingers crossed* Trying to stay that way but my life is a dumpster fire right now not of my making. So I just have to deal with everyone setting fires and trying to put them out. Leaves little time for me. :sweat: But that's life. And as I used to say pretty frequently "Keep Calm and Low Carb On". Think I need to remind myself of that more often. Time is passing anyway. What are we going to do with it?
  • tishsmith101
    @baconslave thanks for solving that mystery for me. It never occurred to me that's where everyone went. I only use the web version as the app always gave me fits lol. I too relied heavily on this group when I started keto and it was a source of great support and suggestions. I will continue checking in as it helps keep me accountable.

I am back on track with food and logging, workouts will be next. Going camping and lots of hiking planned. Once the heat wave and humidity pass I can restart my strength and cardio. Can't believe its almost the end of June and I have not been able to take my bike out yet!
  • rileysowner
    Welcome to the challenge.
  • tishsmith101
    I'm having a really hard time getting in consistent workouts with the weather these days. It's been so hot and humid (or raining) I can't do anything outdoors. I just want to sleep all the time. Just had to cancel my strength class for tomorrow due to a conflict with a work meeting. I need to make changes,