🧮 Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #4: EXERCISE PLAN 🧮

hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,731 Member
by31fkn6dc34.png

🗬In thinking about pre-challenge activities for the 2024 Autumn/Fall 5% Challenge, we tried to present these activities in some order that might make sense. In the last activity we discussed meal planning. Anytime you think of a healthy lifestyle there are two things that are usually mentioned, healthy eating and exercise. Since healthy eating was already mentioned, this activity will be highlighting the importance of exercise as you plan YOUR journey.🗭

🤔❔I started researching by asking Google:
'What is the best exercise plan for a healthy lifestyle at any age?'

When we researched this subject at the beginning of 2024, here is the first answer that was received:
Q: Which exercise is best for a healthy life?
A: A combination of aerobic (walking, swimming) and strength training (weights) is best. Walking is one of the easiest activities to start. You don't have to do all 30 minutes at once. Try walking for 15 minutes twice each day.

When researching this subject for the 2024 Fall 5% Challenge, the question was asked a little differently. The query said:
Q: What is the best exercise program for someone at any age? The first answer that was found:
A: "A complete exercise program for all adults includes aerobic activity three to five days per week, muscle-strengthening activity two to three days per week, and flexibility exercises two to three days per week (or for greatest flexibility gains, daily)," says Barbara Bushman, Ph.

🔍Further investigation/research uncovered an article from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and this article has guidelines, no matter what age you are. The name of the article: ‘What You Can Do to Meet Physical Activity Recommendations?’
Here is the link:
https://www.cdc.gov/physical-activity-basics/guidelines/?CDC_AAref_Val=https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/age-chart.html
NOTE: This article discusses various activities/recommendations for anyone at any age.

📼There are endless videos (many of them are free) on sites like YouTube that deal with almost any type of exercise/physical activity that you can think of from 'Couch to 5K' to Chair Exercises.

Remember, a healthy lifestyle (like almost anything else in life) must have balance. The only one that knows your body is you. The only one that knows how you are feeling is you.

If you are not used to exercise and don't know where to begin - how about just getting up and walking around the house? Once you are comfortable doing that, perhaps walk around outside of your house, down the driveway, to the mailbox, down the block. No matter what you do, getting up to move will be so good for your body and it will help you feel accomplished once you are done.

In addition to planning your personal exercise plan, why don't you take a look for your sneakers/tennis shoes/kicks/ or running shoes (whatever you call them)? Are they in good shape? Do they need to be replaced so you will be comfortable when walking/moving? Do you have a water bottle handy? Do you own a step tracker? Do you use it? If you like to go outside to walk, especially now that Autumn/Fall is on the horizon - do you have the appropriate outerwear that will ensure you aren't too hot/too cold?

> > > > Of course, any and all of these recommendations NEVER EVER supersede recommendations from your healthcare provider. We are all individuals and are all at different stages of life (and health) which sometimes dictate what we can and can't physically do. If you are under a physician's care and are unable to exercise or you must limit your exercise to accommodate your specific needs, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't continue following your doctor's orders! < < < <

📓 Your assignment:
Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #4: EXERCISE PLAN 📓

n8aortejnf0u.png
❔❓🤔 What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? Think of what you can easily commit to in a day and commit to that. For a few days a week, consider doing ‘just a little more’ if you can to challenge yourself. 🤔❓❔

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2024 Autumn/Fall 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and ‘Living the Good Life’ points based on weekly Challenge themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Saturday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮 Our 2024 Autumn/Fall 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up. 🔮

✉️ You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers in the 5% Challenge Community that will be participating right along with you. ✉️

📢 Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2024 AUTUMN/FALL 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information. 📢

=========================================================
Please be sure to set yourself up for S-U-C-C-E-S-S!! Why not start by taking part in **ALL** of the Pre-Challenge Activities? Here they are listed (along with their links) so you can find/participate in all of them!!

Pre-Challenge Activity #1:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10924226/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input#latest

Pre-Challenge Activity #2:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10924322/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-2-set-some-goals/p1?new=1

Pre-Challenge Activity #3:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10924383/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-3-meal-plan#latest

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• nansbones7708
    nansbones7708 Posts: 431 Member
    I’m hoping to be able to do more but for personal reasons I’m going for a manageable 30 minutes mainly cardio walking outside when it’s dry and Jessica Smith videos doing her strength and cardio video when it’s wet.
    Thinking of challenging myself to do squats every day, starting with just 10 and building on that each week.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 13,422 Member
    @hicim705 TY TY TY the article of exercise for what ages is interesting!!

❔❓🤔 What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? I started a little while ago to up my daily steps. I was thinking of going from 4100 a day to 4500, but I need to stay at the 4100 for a bit longer, and maybe the 4100 is what I am capable of. Being in congestive heart failure as well as having chronic kidney disease which wants go become kindey failure, I need to be sure I do not do to much, yet, I also want to do what I can.

Walking is a FAVORITE at any season, but in the FALL!! The CRUNCHING of the leaves still thrills me as it did as a little kid!!! Hehehehe I've passed that deep of the noise and feeling under the feet and the sounds of it onto my oldest GGS!!! He was 3 when we played and played in them, it was unreal hard to get him away from them, but I DID NOT MIND!! He's now 7 and this continues. Hehehehe I LOVE THIS!!
    tkb0he5az0hg.png
    I want to add in something along the lines of movement to stretch my muscles out and build endurance, I am going to try aerobics, but even with modifying that I am not sure. Chair exercises can be okay especially with music, but beginners level of yoga which is not fast is the BEST!! And I sleep so well!! I'll do 60 to 90 minutes at least 5 days a week and maybe 2 days of 30 mins. Newer members I had SLOWLY worked up to this. Please work at your current level and if you wish to do more, so so safely. If you have any medical conditions as Heidi (Hicim705) stated above check with your Dr first.
  • Ronnie_happy2ranch
    Ronnie_happy2ranch Posts: 489 Member
    ❔❓🤔 What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? 🤔❓❔

I will continue with my walking and working on the rowing machine as much as I can. My "winter" hours will be coming soon which means I will be taking my lunch hour later to drive home and get back online to continue my work day so I'm home before dark (I can't drive at night). Unfortunately, this means losing that lunch hour time for rowing. I'm hoping to be able to walk to the rec center after work hours to get my rowing in; which also means getting more walking in to get there as well! On my WFH days, I will be either walking outside or on the treadmill during my lunch hour for at least 20-30 minutes per day. I don't usually "work out" on the weekends because I'm always busy doing chores which equates to a lot of exercise already - up and down stairs (our house has 4 levels top to bottom) doing laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. And. we usually go dancing at least once a month as long as the weather isn't bad.
  • aalley5
    aalley5 Posts: 2,956 Member
    @hicim705 - Thank you for all the valuable information! I love that you added the other links for the pre-challenge.

As I age, I find it difficult to do a lot of the fitness routines I once did. My knees are so sore, even though I had shots to cushion them. Hills were terrible on my legs in the mountains.

My plan for the next 8 weeks:

Knee strengthening video daily 30 min
    Strength training 3X a week 30 min
    Bicycle daily 30 min
    Swimming or water aerobics 3X a week
    nj1pqhqxkrhg.gif
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 6,185 Member
    My Exercise plan is Traditional lifting in the gym and at home body weight workouts. Plus getting in a mile walk in the morning and a 60 min walk in after eating dinner.
  • Patti241
    Patti241 Posts: 4,882 Member
    My exercise plan is going to the gym whenever I can, to walk weather permitting and doing strength exercises.
  • francescopelandlucas
    francescopelandlucas Posts: 1,148 Member
    I am loving all this research information. Can't get enough of health info! I want to go to water aerobics 2x a week. It was a goal for me after retirement and I haven't made it there yet. I think that would be fun and beneficial.
  • Grannysue91
    Grannysue91 Posts: 5,491 Member
    My exercise plan is getting my strength training, use my exercise equipment and I am going to be doing the 28 Day Chair Yoga for Seniors. I love to walk and I am hoping to get some outside walking when the temps are cooler.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,469 Member
    EXERCISE: increase daily steps to 7500 w/goal of 10000. get on bike 3x wk, swim at least 45 min 3 x wk

I go to the gym M-F will switch up swimming to M/W/F, use the exercise bike immediately when get home for 1/2 hr and in evening for another 15, when my daughter is here will get bike down to ride the neighborhood.
    at work will walk at lunch for 45 min, walk the dog weekends for same

leave for gym earlier so prep in eves and get up on time
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited September 29
    I'm so glad to be getting out more, hiking and going for walks in the autumn weather. I don't walk as much in summer as it is so hot and humid ,here, and buggy!
    My goal is to walk at least 150 minutes per week.
    I have a 5 minute strength training routine that I've pretty much done, most days,for over 30 years. A few dumbell curls, squats, and leg lifts.
  • KellyBisciotti
    KellyBisciotti Posts: 10 Member
    30 min/day, 3 days/week of heart pumping exercise
    Daily >6500 steps, 7 days/week
    Getting up from my desk at least once per hour, 7 days/week

Currently dealing with bad knees, so trying to focus on low-impact exercises like water aerobics, water treadmill at PT, stationary bike. When the knees are able: treadmill, Just Dance, Wii Fit.

2 days/week strength training w/ free weights, bench, kettlebells, resistance bands.
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 2,714 Member
    ▪️ I will walk as much as possible. My aim is to get a daily average of 7000 steps. I will walk less on working-from-home days and sluggish days (I know I will have them) but walk more on busier days to make up for it.
    ▪️ I will do exercises at home, such as, stretching, full-body toning, hand-weights, exercise biking, hula-hooping, fit-dance, yoga, pilates, youtube or app led workout, etc.
    ▪️ Once I feel able, I'll cycle round the park on rainy or cold days when few people are there.
  • diamonds1202
    diamonds1202 Posts: 33 Member
    1. I will walk with my toddler and dog 3-4 days a week. The temperature is finally coming down so we can appreciate the outdoors a bit more.
    2. Go the gym at least twice a week (Saturday and Sunday mornings.)
    3. Plant many flowers walking with Pikmin Bloom.
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,328 Member
    My exercise plan:
    1. Average 6500 steps/day, 7 days a week. This will be done by walking outdoors, exercise equipment and just getting up off my butt on lazy days.
    2. Minimum 150 Fitbit moderate to peak zone minutes/ week. Walking, exercise videos 3/days/week focusing on cardio, strength and/or balance.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,142 Member
    I've had a super busy two months and have not been getting to the gym at all. That's not to say I haven't gotten any exercise in because I've been doing a lot of interior house painting, and all of the climbing up and down the ladder to paint has kept me in shape for the most part.
    However - I have to get back into my regular gym routine once the painting is done (I'm hoping that will be by the end of this weekend.
    My regular gym routine is:
    Step classes two days a week for cardio
    Two days a week on the machines for ST
    At least 2 yoga classes a week
    Two Tai Chi classes a week
    That was my regular routine, I'm hoping to add a couple more cardio days on the treadmill as well.
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 6,083 Member
    🌹
  • gouldsgranite
    gouldsgranite Posts: 4,249 Member
    My Exercise Plan:

Daily yoga practice
    Treadmill or daily Walk.
    Strength train with weights 3x per week
    Core exercises 3x per week

SIMPLY KEEP MOVING!
  • Kateljm
    Kateljm Posts: 1,904 Member
    ❓🤔 What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? Think of what you can easily commit to in a day and commit to that. For a few days a week, consider doing ‘just a little more’ if you can to challenge yourself. 🤔❓

60 minutes of cardio daily, and 30 minutes of ST 3 times a week