Race Results

Options
romyhorse
romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
I know a lot of people here have races coming up over the next few months so I thought it would be nice if we had a results thread where we can post our results and see how everyone else is getting on.

I don't have anything to post myself but a couple of my friends were racing last weekend:

Paula is a lifelong friend since school and is running 4 10k races this year to raise money for a children's charity. This was her 3rd race and she has already raised over £1000. She finished just a few seconds over 65 minutes which was a PB for her.

Roy is a workmate and used to run marathons, he has run the London Marathon several times. He was running at the same event as Paula but doing the half marathon. He hadn't managed to get in as much training as he would have liked but still managed to finish in 1 hour 40 minutes which was his target.

Looking forward to seeing your results :happy:

Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Great idea to have a race results thread so we have to keep creating one for individual races.

I ran my first 10K today. 1:16:00 was my time and I finished 94th out of 105 in my age group. Obviously room for improvement here, but I am glad that I finished. I wasn't as tired as I was with my last 5K. I think I didn't run as hard because I was concerned about finishing. Though I did do the first half of the race is 34 minutes. Still I averaged a minute slower a mile than my 5K pace. It was an awesome race with beautiful scenery and with a barbecue at the end. I definitely enjoyed myself.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Great idea to have a race results thread so we have to keep creating one for individual races.

I ran my first 10K today. 1:16:00 was my time and I finished 94th out of 105 in my age group. Obviously room for improvement here, but I am glad that I finished. I wasn't as tired as I was with my last 5K. I think I didn't run as hard because I was concerned about finishing. Though I did do the first half of the race is 34 minutes. Still I averaged a minute slower a mile than my 5K pace. It was an awesome race with beautiful scenery and with a barbecue at the end. I definitely enjoyed myself.

Congrats to you! Awesome time too! Spot on.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Congrats! That sounds like a great time!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a nice 10K!
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Thanks. My profile picture is from the race. I got my first finishers medal. I also was registered for a virtual 10K today as well. So I have another medal on the way. Now that this race is out of the way, I have October 20th to think about. That is the Toronto Marathon. Obviously I'm not ready for that, but there is a 5K and a half. Considering doing the half since the last half of 5210k program can replace the first few weeks of Hal Higdon's half program. I have already started training, but if I get closer and I'm not ready, i will just switch to the 5K. Anyone else have any races coming up?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    mrsmalcolm I love your enthusiasm! Think it's awesome that you're aiming high. Hope you feel like you're ready at the time to tackle the half.

I'm registered for my next 5K the end of September. I've walked/run several of them in the past few years, but ran my first one the beginning of August. The course for my next race ends on a long uphill, so I'm counting on my weekly hills runs coming through for me.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Thanks. My profile picture is from the race. I got my first finishers medal. I also was registered for a virtual 10K today as well. So I have another medal on the way. Now that this race is out of the way, I have October 20th to think about. That is the Toronto Marathon. Obviously I'm not ready for that, but there is a 5K and a half. Considering doing the half since the last half of 5210k program can replace the first few weeks of Hal Higdon's half program. I have already started training, but if I get closer and I'm not ready, i will just switch to the 5K. Anyone else have any races coming up?

Congratulations on a great first 10k race! You are keen applying for a half marathon in 6 weeks, I hope your training goes well but it's good you can switch to the 5k if you are not ready.
    mrsmalcolm I love your enthusiasm! Think it's awesome that you're aiming high. Hope you feel like you're ready at the time to tackle the half.

I'm registered for my next 5K the end of September. I've walked/run several of them in the past few years, but ran my first one the beginning of August. The course for my next race ends on a long uphill, so I'm counting on my weekly hills runs coming through for me.

If you've been doing weekly hill runs I'm sure you will be passing a lot of runners up that final hill! Good luck.

I have my first race in 3 weeks. I started training for it way back in May but after injuring my knee in July I didn't think I'd be able to run. However after following doctors orders and religiously performing knee exercises I was able to start running again after 5 weeks off. It was tough at first but I think my earlier training is paying off now and I'm pretty much back on track.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Laura my last 5K was a very hilly course and I hadn't done hill runs, but I made it through with a respectable time. If you are already doing hill runs, you should have no problem. Though I don't get why some races put a hill at the finish line.

Romy glad to hear you are back on track :D
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Let's see...

Had another 5K this weekend, didn't do no where what I wanted. Was trying to hit 31:45, but came in a minute behind at 32:44. I know what happened though, I got caught up with those in the front and started out way too fast, almost a minute faster pace then I should have and come mile 2 my body was punishing me for doing such a silly thing. While the run was crappy, the whole event as fun.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I haven't ran a race (or ran at all) since August 3rd. That day I did a 5K trail race in 26:39. On Saturday I cheered on my wife as she ran a 3.5 mile trail race and finished as the top overall female with a time of 32:26. I'm pretty proud of her - and she even went out and ran 21 miles the next day!

Photo from the start of Saturday's race: http://www.flickr.com/photos/timscreations/9692982065/

Hopefully the doctor will clear me to start running again when I see her later this week. But it will be a while before I race again.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Let's see...

Had another 5K this weekend, didn't do no where what I wanted. Was trying to hit 31:45, but came in a minute behind at 32:44. I know what happened though, I got caught up with those in the front and started out way too fast, almost a minute faster pace then I should have and come mile 2 my body was punishing me for doing such a silly thing. While the run was crappy, the whole event as fun.

You just sound like a runner. You are complaining - not about 1 minuter per mile, but about 1 minute for the whole 5K! That kind of stuff happens when you have a handle on something and your pacing is consistent. I just can't do it yet in running, but I know exactly what that is like from my swimming.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I haven't ran a race (or ran at all) since August 3rd. That day I did a 5K trail race in 26:39. On Saturday I cheered on my wife as she ran a 3.5 mile trail race and finished as the top overall female with a time of 32:26. I'm pretty proud of her - and she even went out and ran 21 miles the next day!

Photo from the start of Saturday's race: http://www.flickr.com/photos/timscreations/9692982065/

Hopefully the doctor will clear me to start running again when I see her later this week. But it will be a while before I race again.

I just have one word for you two: Fast.

Were you both always pretty speedy at things, or was this a new discovery?
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Were you both always pretty speedy at things, or was this a new discovery?

Yeah we tend to do things too fast! Probably why we have visited doctors more in the past year than our entire lifetime before. I am seriously slowing down when I start running again (at least that's what I am telling myself now).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Love the skirt, Mrs. Malcolm!

Tim - I recently read this article about avoiding injury after 40. A lot of good points -> http://beta.active.com/running/articles/how-to-run-your-best-in-your-40s

rduhlir - you did a 10:30 mile instead of a 10:15? You know you'll get it next time. Great job on pushing through to the finish!
  • romyhorse
    Options

Great photos, if you are not going to be racing for a while you could have a second career as a race photographer.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Great photos, if you are not going to be racing for a while you could have a second career as a race photographer.

Thanks! I added a few photos of my wife's finish: http://www.flickr.com/photos/timscreations/

I used to photograph racing at Road Atlanta and eventually was shooting for a media outlet but it's just too much work. Shooting runners is much easier since they aren't going by at 100+ mph - LOL!
    Tim - I recently read this article about avoiding injury after 40. A lot of good points -> http://beta.active.com/running/articles/how-to-run-your-best-in-your-40s

Thanks for that link!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    rduhlir - you did a 10:30 mile instead of a 10:15? You know you'll get it next time. Great job on pushing through to the finish!

No.... I started with a 9:30 minute mile and ended with an 11:+ minute mile lol.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options

No.... I started with a 9:30 minute mile and ended with an 11:+ minute mile lol.

Congrats to you anyhow! For my virgin-ish ears and eyes, understanding you started to fast and slowed it down because of that and all, I'm still impressed :) I guess it just shows that not every race is a PR, but it is a run, and a race, and nicely done!

Tim, you are an awesome photographer!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Touché. Ouch. Run slow, or run slower...right?
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Completed my first ever race! Ran the River Ness 10k in 67 minutes 32 seconds. I found it really tough, weather was hot and even the downhill parts felt hard! Came in 2077 out of 2631, 308 out of 412 in my category. My average km was 6.45 min, which is about 10:53 mile pace.