Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You are too awesome!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Completed my first ever race! Ran the River Ness 10k in 67 minutes 32 seconds. I found it really tough, weather was hot and even the downhill parts felt hard! Came in 2077 out of 2631, 308 out of 412 in my category. My average km was 6.45 min, which is about 10:53 mile pace.

That is all kinds of awesome! What an amazing time & pace in any weather, much less when it's hot. I know you don't like hot. :smile:
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Completed my first ever race! Ran the River Ness 10k in 67 minutes 32 seconds. I found it really tough, weather was hot and even the downhill parts felt hard! Came in 2077 out of 2631, 308 out of 412 in my category. My average km was 6.45 min, which is about 10:53 mile pace.

Wow! That's incredible! Holy smokes!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Because I forgot about this thread I already posted my race results from yesterday's 5K race on the daily check-in thread, but I finished in 37:29 and finished 230 out of 341 participants (24 out of 47 in my division). It wasn't a great finish but it was a great training opportunity, and I had fun.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Because I forgot about this thread I already posted my race results from yesterday's 5K race on the daily check-in thread, but I finished in 37:29 and finished 230 out of 341 participants (24 out of 47 in my division). It wasn't a great finish but it was a great training opportunity, and I had fun.

Well done Laura, like you I was using it more as a training exercise. My next 10k will be the Garioch 10k at the end of March which is over a really tough course, but now I know what to expect I can train better for it, and hopefully I will be a bit lighter too which will help me!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the race results - really impressive times and finishes! :)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

You finished, and not doing too badly, despite the heat! Terrific!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Sounds like a pretty good race. Glad that you enjoyed it.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    PR'd my half marathon today! Yay! 2:22:03
  • likitisplit
    Options

:flowerforyou: :smokin: :bigsmile: :smokin: :bigsmile: :smokin: :flowerforyou:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Way to go!!!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!!! ????❤️
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Sorry about being absent

finally did my second 5K

24:27 good for a new PR
    25:58 was my first one.

good for 3rd overall, small local 5K but it felt pretty great getting an overall trophy.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Sorry about being absent

finally did my second 5K

good for 3rd overall, small local 5K but it felt pretty great getting an overall trophy.

Excellent!!! Fantastic race John! Congrats on making 3rd!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Sorry about being absent

finally did my second 5K

Third overall is an amazing achievement. That's a great time anywhere.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Thanks vard and tim..

I will say that I was using a training plan for GipIs that predicted 25:06 and I couldn't be more please with that training plan other than the weekly mileage I thought was rather low.

A bit about the 5K.. I fully planned on running @7:52 the whole race. But chance of thunderstorms brought us a 16 MPH wind with 35 gusts, and this was going to be the headwind on the back portion of the race.

I thought there was no way I was going to PR with that wind, since it had been windy for the last month, I knew my pace drops about 30 seconds when heading into the wind sustaining about the same amount of effort. So I decided to go for it and run about 7:20 for the first half til the turnaround, which I held real well. Then as soon as i hit the turnaround, the wind hit me and I also had to expend energy to stay balanced during the gusts. Ending up with about 8:30 on the back stretch. I won't lie, I was pretty excited after the first half mile that I had passed a few people and could only see 2 more. It was at the turnaround point when i passed the next person on their way to the turnaround point that I thought.."Hey, I could be 3rd overall!". Then it became a race to me. in the last half mile a young woman was gaining on me and I was sooooo tired. Heart rate was peaking above max and I was determined to not let her pass. I saw the finish line and I opened it up and finished at the same pace I started. It was exhilarating.

Sorry for rambling on, but wanted to share the race experience with ya and the fact that I employed some strategy made me realize that I am actually racing. So it's kinds cool.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I love hearing about it!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Thanks vard and tim..

I will say that I was using a training plan for GipIs that predicted 25:06 and I couldn't be more please with that training plan other than the weekly mileage I thought was rather low.

A bit about the 5K.. I fully planned on running @7:52 the whole race. But chance of thunderstorms brought us a 16 MPH wind with 35 gusts, and this was going to be the headwind on the back portion of the race.

I thought there was no way I was going to PR with that wind, since it had been windy for the last month, I knew my pace drops about 30 seconds when heading into the wind sustaining about the same amount of effort. So I decided to go for it and run about 7:20 for the first half til the turnaround, which I held real well. Then as soon as i hit the turnaround, the wind hit me and I also had to expend energy to stay balanced during the gusts. Ending up with about 8:30 on the back stretch. I won't lie, I was pretty excited after the first half mile that I had passed a few people and could only see 2 more. It was at the turnaround point when i passed the next person on their way to the turnaround point that I thought.."Hey, I could be 3rd overall!". Then it became a race to me. in the last half mile a young woman was gaining on me and I was sooooo tired. Heart rate was peaking above max and I was determined to not let her pass. I saw the finish line and I opened it up and finished at the same pace I started. It was exhilarating.

Sorry for rambling on, but wanted to share the race experience with ya and the fact that I employed some strategy made me realize that I am actually racing. So it's kinds cool.

Well done! I love reading race reports.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

Congratulations! That is awesome.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks vard and tim..

What a great race!