October 1 - Change is in the Air

cbmcphillips
cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
Good morning ladies....

The leaves are beautiful here in NJ and the sun is shining.

For those with health issues (either yourself or loved ones).... remember if He brings you to it, He will bring you through it.....

How is everyone doing?:flowerforyou:

Carol

Replies

• TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    I so agree, while we may not always understand the why's or the timing there is purpose in all.

All is well on my little home front. My oldest daughter is turning 23 tomorrow and we have a small family celebration planned. Asking prayers for her and her husband they are trying desperately to conceive (with the help of experts) that all be in God will and that if the timing is not now that their hearts not be weary but trust his timing. I lived this same so many years ago and know how hard and heartbreaking it can be when so many of your friends are starting their families.

Hope everyone took the time to read the protein article I posted on my wall. I have been working on upping my own and this really hit home on how important protein is to losing fat rather than muscle.

Hope everyone is having a great week, Tammy
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Carol- hope you are adjusting well to your new meds :-)

Tammy- Prayers sent your daughter's way. I went through this myself with the resolution being my wonderful son whom I adopted from Korea and wouldn't want it any other way now :-)

All is well in my world with the exception of either incredible allergies or a virus of some sort which actually seems to be affecting a lot of people, so it may be both, who knows. But the weather is cooling off nicely and a little early for us here which is wonderful :-)
  • TArnold2012
    For my lovely ladies,

I found the following this am
    I stumbled across this in the forum this morning. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1104340-how-to-sustain-motivation-when-you-re-struggling
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Hi, Girlz....
    Thanks, Tammy, I needed that read soooooo.....much! I printed it off and am putting it where I can read it daily or the highlights of it. I am realizing I only have 3 more months to finally lose something this year...I have been complacent with my loss so far., but I want more!!! And since I am the only one that can do it for me....I just have to do it!

I haven't had time to read up on everyone yet, hopefully in a month , I will be back to having a co-worker.....we'll see..

Keep doing what you're doing...Miss you all.
    GAIL
  • seehe
    Thanks Tammy -what a great post about motivation!

Gail- good to hear from you- hang in there !
  • cbmcphillips
    Thanks. Tammy. ... bumped to print
  • TArnold2012
    Looking around this morning I found a link to read but you have to be a member to read so the op copied and pasted the article. I have printed and will finish reading today but wanted to post it for you ladies, Fat vs Muscle loss

June 12, 2013 8:58 pm
    The New Rules of Cutting Calories: What is the "Real" Ideal Calorie Deficit?

By Tom Venuto

New Research and Insights on The Optimal Caloric Deficit For Fat Loss

How far should you cut your calories in order to lose fat safely at the optimal rate? How large of a deficit is necessary? What is the lowest safe level of caloric intake? Why do some people lose a lot of weight on very low calorie diets, apparently without problems? Should the calorie deficit be the same for everyone, or, like other aspects of nutrition, does the calorie deficit have to be individualized as well? Because these and similar questions continue to come up so often in a variety of scenarios and because recent research has shed some new light on the subject, this new article revisits "the optimal calorie deficit" including that old advice about "cut 500 calories a day to lose a pound per week, cut 1000 calories a day to lose two pounds per week... and much more.

3500 Calories - A Pound of Fat or Six Pounds of Muscle?

First, let's clear up something about the old standard advice: "There are 3,500 calories in a pound of fat, so to lose a pound a week, you need to cut your calories by 3,500 per week." Actually, it's not quite that simple.

New research has been published that we have frequently cited here in the Inner Circle, because it is the basis on which we have developed THE NEW BFFM CALORIE DEFICIT GUIDELINES. Dr. Kevin Hall, an investigator at the National Institute of Health, has focused his research on the various mechanisms that regulate human body weight and much of his work was based on the previous findings of fellow obesity researcher Gilbert Forbes. Hall recently published a new paper in the International Journal of Obesity that throws a wrench in the works of the "3500 calories to lose a pound" idea…

The equations in his paper were so complicated they made my head hurt, so I'll spare you the details, but despite all the math he used to draw his conclusions, his article clearly prompts an interesting question: "A 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound of WHAT?"

Below, I've summarized Dr. Hall's research paper into a list of points that any non-scientist can understand. Read them carefully - they contain a lot of simple and practical tips you can use to properly balance your caloric intake with output, fine tune your calorie deficit and help you retain more muscle when you diet.

Research On The Calorie Deficit Says:

3500 calories to lose a pound has always been the rule of thumb. However, this 3500 calories figure goes back to older research which assumed that all the weight lost would be adipose tissue.
    At least a small amount of lean body mass is almost always lost along with body fat, which would indicate that the 3500 calorie figure could be an oversimplification.
    The amount of lean body mass lost is based on initial body fat level and the size/severity of the calorie deficit
    Lean people tend to lose more lean body mass and retain more fat.
    Fat people tend to lose more body fat and retain more lean tissue (revealing why obese people can tolerate aggressive low calorie diets better than already lean people)
    Very aggressive calorie deficits and low calorie diets tend to erode lean body mass to a greater degree than more conservative diets.
    whether the weight loss is lean or fat gives you the real answer of what is the required energy deficit per unit of weight loss
    The metabolizable energy in fat is different than the metabolizable energy in muscle tissue. A pound of muscle is not 3500 calories. A pound of muscle yields about 600 calories.
    If you lose lean body mass, then you will lose more body weight than if you lose fat.
    If you create a 3500 calorie deficit in one week and you lose 100% body fat, you will lose one pound.
    If you create a 3500 calorie weekly deficit and as a result of that deficit, lose 100% muscle, you would lose almost 6 pounds of body weight! (of course, if you somehow manage to lose 100% muscle, you will be forced to wear the Dieter's Dunce cap)
    If you have a high initial body fat percentage, then you are going to lose more fat relative to lean, so you may need a larger deficit to lose the same amount of weight as compared to a lean person
    Creating a calorie deficit once at the beginning of a diet and maintaining that same caloric intake for the duration of the diet after major weight loss fails to account for how your body decreases energy expenditure with reduced body weight
    Weight loss typically slows down over time for a prescribed constant diet. This is either due to a decrease in metabolism, a relaxing of dietary compliance, or both (most people just can't hack aggressive calorie reductions for long).
    Progressive resistance training and or high protein diets can modify the proportion of weight lost from body fat versus lean tissue (which is why weight training and sufficient protein while on calorie restricted diets are absolute musts!)
    The NEW BFFM Calorie Deficit Guidelines

So, based on this new information, should we throw out our old caloric calculator forumulas? Well, not necessarily. You can still use the standard calorie formulas to figure out how much you should eat, and you can use a 500-1000 calorie per day deficit (below maintenance) as a guideline to figure where to set your calories to lose one or two pounds per week respectively. The math doesn't always come out in the real world the way you anticipated on paper, but the standard calorie calculator formulas are as good a place to start as any because you are going to adjust your calories weekly in real time anyway.

What we can do however, is to improve our calorie deficit guidelines using a sliding percentage scale of conservative, moderate and aggressive deficits, which you choose based on your starting body fat percentage. This gives you a much more personalized and effective approach than an "absolute" deficit like 1000 calories. In relative terms, a 1000 calorie deficit could be near starvation, or it could be a perfectly reasonable reduction.

For example, if you are a large and highly active male with a 3400 calorie per day maintenance level, then a 1000 calorie deficit means a daily caloric intake of 2400 calories per day, a 30% deficit (aggressive, but well within reason). If you are a petite, inactive female with a caloric maintenance level of 1900 calories per day, then a 1000 calorie deficit means a caloric intake of 900 calories per day, a 53% deficit (semi starvation, and potentially unhealthy). As Einstein would say, that's relativity for you.

The fix is simple, instead of using 500 or 1000 calorie per day deficits as fixed standards, use a percentage, and set up a sliding scale that accounts for your goals, your desired rate of rate of weight loss and your starting body fat percentage.

15-20% below maintenance calories = conservative deficit
    20-25% below maintenance calories = moderate deficit
    25-30% below maintenance calories = aggressive deficit
    31-40% below maintenance calories = very aggressive deficit (risky)
    50%+ below maintenance calories = semi starvation/starvation (potentially dangerous and unhealthy if not medically supervised)

Maximum Deficits (The Calorie Floor)

Previously when I've been asked what is the lowest you should go in your caloric intake, I've often given the absolute numbers 1200 calories for women and 1800 calories per day for men. These are pretty good guidelines that apply to most people most of the time, but not 100% of the people 100% of the time. If you're a large and highly active female with a total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) of 2600 calories per day, then 1200 calories would be a starvation level diet for you (54% deficit). Again, because of relative differences between genders and individuals, if you can customize, then do customize, instead of using absolutes.

So where did the 1200 and 1800 calorie floor numbers come from? Those are generalizations based on average caloric maintenance levels (TDEE), as determined by exercise physiologists. According to Victor Katch & Frank Mcardle, the average female between the ages of 23 and 50 has a maintenance level of about 2100 calories per day and the average male about 2800 calories per day.

Based on the maximum recommendation of two pounds of weight loss per week given by organizations like the American College of Sports Medicine, these "calorie floors" are based on 1000 calories below the average person's TDEE (2800 calories per day average for men, minus 1000 calories equals calorie floor of 1800 calories per day. 2100 calories per day average for women, minus 1000 calories equals a calorie floor of 1100 calories, and most health organizations round up that number to 1200 since 1000 calories under maintenance is a larger relative deficit compared to men.)

Differences in calorie deficits based on starting body fat

Usually, we would suggest starting with a conservative deficit of around 15-20% below maintenance. Based on the research, however, we see that there can be a big difference between lean and overweight people in how many calories they can or should cut.

If you have very high body fat to begin with, the typical rules of thumb for calorie deficits may underestimate the deficit you need to lose a pound. It may also be too conservative, and you can probably use a more aggressive deficit safely without as much worry about muscle loss or metabolic slowdown.

In fact, I've found that since overweight folks have higher calorie requirements than smaller folks, they often find that a small calorie deficit of 15-20% is still a lot of food and leaves them feeling pretty full! Not only is the 25-30% more effective in their situation, it's more practical too because the food quantity is more appropriate relative to their appetite.

If you are extremely lean, like a bodybuilder trying to get ready for competition, you would want to be very cautious about using aggressive calorie deficits. You'd be better off keeping the deficit conservative and starting your diet/cutting phase earlier to allow for a slow, but safe rate of fat loss, with maximum retention of muscle tissue.

Should You Be Aggressive or Conservative When Choosing a Calorie Deficit?

when deciding whether you should be more aggressive or more conservative with your deficit (15% vs 30% or even higher), I'd suggest four considerations:

1. Take into account your starting body fat. If you have high starting body fat, then you are at less risk of losing lean tissue because you have a large storage depot of energy (body fat), therefore reducing the body's starvation signals. If you have a low starting body fat (ie, bodybuilder or lean person trying to get even leaner), then you are at higher risk of losing lean tissue with an aggressive calorie deficit, especially with a high level of training volume and intensity.

2. Take into account your actual real world results. If you are losing fat and maintaining all your lean body mass on an aggressive deficit (30% or so), and you are not experiencing undue hunger, then why not stay with it? (You'll get maximum fat loss that way). If you're on a very conservative calorie deficit of 15% and the fat loss is painfully slow, then why not increase it a bit? (you'll speed up fat loss that way)

3. Use both sides of the energy balance equation. Could you leave your calories at a 20% deficit via reduction in food intake, but increase your activity to get the overall 30% deficit? Ie, does it fit your lifestyle and schedule to take a "higher energy flux" approach and simply get that extra calorie burn by exercising more rather than eating less? If so, then consider raising your calories burned rather than cutting your calories consumed.

4. Take into account your need to reach a deadline. When you think about deadlines, ask yourself whether you will accept higher risk (of muscle loss, etc) and the discomfort of more potential hunger, in order to reach a body fat goal on a specific target date. (But if you're rushed to make a deadline, just make sure it doesn't happen again. Learn from this first experience, plan better next time and start sooner so you don't have to crash diet to make your event on time).

What about medical weight loss and protein fasts?

Anyone who has ever been on a medically-supervised liquid weight loss diet or a self-administered protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) diet, may see a contradiction in our BFFM deficit guidelines. They might point out that their own medical doctor put them on 50% of their maintenance calories or even less (often only 800-900 calories per day - technically, a crash diet, right?) If it's bad for you to cut calories so much, then why would a doctor recommend it?

Well, keep in mind the context. In the cases of morbid obesity, a risk to benefit analysis has to be done. The risks of staying grossly overweight far exceed the potential downsides of an extremely low calorie diet, and the doctor knows that as sure as the sun will rise in the East tomorrow, the weight will come off fast with a large calorie deficit. In some cases, it's saved as a last resort. In other cases, a doctor will make a judgement call on whether to start someone on a liquid protein or PSMF diet. In all cases, the patient is under the doctor's supervision and ensures adequate nutritional intake using supplements.

What about the high risk of muscle loss? Is that ever worth it? Well, again consider the patient, the urgency of the need to lose weight and the starting body fat. As the research indicates, the highly overweight person is less likely to lose muscle with an aggressive deficit. Some of the weight lost is going to be muscle and other lean tissue, no doubt about it, but it will be less than a lean person and even if LBM is lost, again the benefits outweight the risks.

In the personal sector, we have commercial diet programs and very strict diet programs or mostly liquid protein "rapid weight loss" diets often recommended by trainers or bodybuilding and figure coaches, which also call for extreme calorie cutting. Unlike medical weight loss, this is generally a bad idea, because the bodybuilder or figure competitor is already lean. As the research shows, the lean person is far more likely to lose muscle with an aggressive calorie deficit, and even though high protein intake spares muscle, lean people need to be much more conservative with calorie cutting. A lean person wanting to get even leaner should start far enough out from their goal target date so they can lose at a rate of 1.0 to 1.5 lbs per week to maximize retention of lean muscle. In this scenario, the risks of large calorie deficits and fast weight losses outweight any benefits. At the very least, this approach needs to be called out for what it really is: Crash dieting and impatience.

In contrast to these extreme scenarios, the BFFM calorie deficit guidelines were written as Lifestyle Guidelines. No one should be dieting in a caloric deficit forever, so in that sense a calorie deficit is never a "lifestyle" unless you're into that calorie restriction for longevity stuff (and don't get me started on that one). However, the best method is to take a lifestyle approach during the fat loss phase, which simply means, avoid extreme dieting, take a more balanced approach, be patient and be pleased with slow but steady weekly fat loss.

Adjusting The Deficit In Real-Time

It's VERY important to understand that once you've done your initial calorie calculations, then after you start, you need to adjust your calories and your entire approach in general, according to your actual real world results. You should not try to re-calculate your calories every day or even every week using the formulas again.

Adjusting caloric intake (nutrition) and caloric expenditure (training) in real time is critical, because energy balance is dynamic. This means that the amount of calories you require today may not be the same three or six months from now. If your weight changes substantially, your calorie needs will change. If your activity level changes substantially, your calorie needs will change.

In general, as you lose weight, your calorie needs decrease because it takes fewer and fewer calories to move and maintain a smaller body. For example, after a typical 40 pound weight loss, you will need 300-350 fewer calories than when you started, if all else remains equal. Think about the implications of this! It means that your rate of weight loss will automatically decline by 2/3 of a pound per week if you fail to adjust your calories consumed (eat less) according to your new body size or increase your calories expended (burn more). Researchers call this "The energy gap" and it explains slow weight loss, it partially explains plateaus and it largely explains why it's hard to keep weight off after you lose it.

On the other hand, just because energy balance is dynamic doesn't mean you should crunch your numbers every day. You could drive yourself insane trying to re-calculate your calorie numbers and deficits every day. So don't try. Instead, do your calculations once at the beginning of your program. Follow your prescribed calorie level diligently for a week to establish a baseline. After that, adjust your approach (food intake/ exercise output) according to weekly real world results using the BFFM "Feedback Loop Method."

When To Re-Calculate Calories

There are three times when you may want to go back to the calorie calculators and re-calculate both your total daily energy expenditure and your optimal daily caloric intake to reach your goal.

1. Re-calculate calories each time you start an all new program/goal cycle
    2. Re-calculate calories each time you've had a major change in body weight.
    3. Re-calculate calories each time you have a major change in activity.

Also remember that it is a very good long term goal to reach a point called "unconscious competence" when you have gone through all the number crunching, calorie counting, journaling, tracking, measuring and so on, and after many months of this, it all becomes second nature. At that point you may not have to ever count or crunch numbers again. The analytical and detail oriented personality types will probably always want to run the numbers and print out menus with calories and macros, but at the point of unconscious competence, it becomes a choice and not a requirement.

The bottom line

When you are calculating your own deficit, be sure to take into account your starting body fat, your personal goals, the time available to reach your goal and be sure to weigh the risks and benefits of whatever approach you choose. Avoid getting locked into a single prescription for calorie deficits for weight loss. As you can see, one size does not fit all. If a highly conservative dietician for example tells you to choose a 15% deficit and you are 100 lbs over weight, it's entirely possible that this could be too much food for you and your weight loss would be unnecessarily slow. The recommendation was intended for your health and safety, but it could actually end up being a de-motivator.

Your optimal calorie deficit could be anywhere from 15-30% below maintenance and this is the offical Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle program recommendation for fat loss. This is consistent with well-accepted weight loss guidelines from organizations like the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Dietetic Association. The new guidelines for adjusting the percentage deficit based on your starting body fat level are based on the research of Hall and Forbes. Put together, you now have the tools to customize your calories with the greatest precision possible.

To discuss this article in the Inner Circle Forums Click Here

References:

1. Forbes GB. Body fat content influences the body composition response to nutrition and exercise. Ann NY Acad Sci. 904: 359-365. 2000
    2. Hall, KD., What is the required energy deficit per unit of weight loss? Int J Obesity. 2007 Epub ahead of print
    3. Hill, James, Understanding and Addressing the Epidemic of Obesity: An Energy Balance Perspective. Endocrine Reviews, 27: 750-761. 2006
    4. McArdle WD. Exercise physiology: Energy, Nutrition, and Human performance. 4td ed. Williams & Wilkins. 1996
    5. Wishnofsky M. Caloric equivalents of gained or lost weight. Am J Clin Nutr. 6: 542-546.
  • TArnold2012
    I think I have finally found my funk again to push rather than just take what I am given :)

It could be the 10 bags of clothes that my sister has shrunk out of and donated to my closet :)))))))))))) I am able to wear some but there are lots more I can't than I can. I am excited to get there. I am now smaller than I have been in 35+ years, which means since before high school graduation :) In 50 pounds I will began the process of having surgery to repair the damage to my skin and while I know many would not be excited about those scares, I am proud to be able to wear even them as a reminder of all my hard work. Of course I have to find some insurance first LOLOL but all in God's perfect timing. Loving life for what seems the first time in my life :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • seehe
    Tammy, thanks much for the interesting article, and that is absolutely fantastic that you are even smaller than high school graduation! Sounds like you have some fresh motivation as well-you go girl!!!!
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Well Hello Ladies. It is time for me to get back in the game as the saying goes. You may recall I was rather devastated after loosing my job a few months back and dropped off the grid for a while. I spent the summer throwing myself into volunteer work with the church, taking some classes, updating my resume' and unfortunately some stress eating.

I have not been having much success in seeking employment and have had some major issues at home. We had a carpenter ant infestation & I have needed to spend thousands of dollars on a exterminator and carpenters to repair it. What is it about carbs that make us turn to them in times of stress? While I have not stepped on the scale I can feel it in the belly fat & fitness of my jeans.

Last year the structure of tracking food and exercise along with your support proved effective for loosing weight and improving my overall fitness level. Starting tomorrow morning I will be back in the game of logging and lending all of you the support you so readily provide for others.
  • TArnold2012
    Welcome back Bis, sorry to hear about the ants but its wonderful to hear about the volunteering and classes.
  • TArnold2012
    Ran across this in the forum\1. Don’t skip breakfast
    Research shows that eating breakfast helps you control your weight. Some people skip breakfast as they think it will help them loose weight but missing meals doesn’t help us lose weight and isn’t good for us because we can miss out on essential nutrients. It could also encourage us to snack more throughout the day because you feel hungry’.

2. Eat regular meals
    Some people think missing meals will help them lose weight, but it has been shown that eating regularly during the day helps to burn calories at a faster rate as well as reduce the temptation to snack on foods high in fat and sugar.

3. Eat plenty of fruit and veg
    Fruit and veg are low in calories and fat and high in fibre – three essential ingredients for successful weight loss. They also contain plenty of vitamins and minerals..

4. Get more active
    Studies show that regular activity is key to losing weight and keeping it off. As well as providing numerous health benefits, exercise can help burn off the excess calories you can't cut through diet alone.

5. Drink plenty of water
    People sometimes confuse thirst with hunger. You can end up consuming extra calories when a glass of water is really what you need. You should aim to drink about six to eight glasses (1.2 litres) of fluid, preferably water, every day – or more if it’s warm or you’re exercising.

6. Eat high-fibre foods
    Foods containing lots of fibre will keep you feeling full for longer, which is perfect for losing weight. Fibre is only found in food from plants, such as fruit and veg, oats, wholegrain bread, brown rice and pasta, beans, peas and lentils.

7. Read food labels
    Knowing how to read food labels can help you choose healthier options, and keep a check on the amount of calories, fat, salt and sugars you eat. Use the calorie information to work out how a particular food fits into your daily calorie allowance on the weight loss plan.

8. Use a smaller plate
    Studies show that people who use smaller plates tend to eat smaller portions and still be satisfied. By eating with smaller plates and bowls, you may be able to gradually get used to eating smaller portions without going hungry. It takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it’s full, so eat slowly and stop eating before you feel full.

9. Don’t ban foods
    Don’t ban any foods from your weight loss plan, especially the ones you like. Banning foods will only make you crave them more. There’s no reason you can’t enjoy the occasional treat as long as you stay within your daily calorie allowance.

10. Don't stock junk food
    To avoid temptation, avoid stocking junk food, such as chocolate, biscuits, crisps and sweet fizzy drinks, at home. Instead, stock up on healthy snacks, such as fruit, unsalted rice cakes, oat cakes, unsalted or unsweetened popcorn and fruit juice.

11. Cut down on alcohol
    Did you know a standard glass of wine can contain as many calories as a piece of chocolate, and a pint of lager has about the same calorie count as a packet of crisps? Over time, drinking too much can easily contribute to weight gain.

12. Plan your meals
    Plan your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the week, making sure you stick to your calorie allowance. Try to plan for four to seven days’ worth of meals and snacks. Make a shopping list, but don’t shop when you’re hungry as that can lead to high-calorie impulse buys!
  • bisland
    Tammy thank you for the great post. I believe all points are very true. I know people who to me it looks like they are constantly eating, in fact are eating a snack between each meal. These friends do not have a weight problem, but are keeping there metabolism running on high. A huge congratulations on all your success, it is obvious you have made the life style changes necessary for this to last a lifetime.

I did not get any formal exercise today, but Tuesdays are my day to volunteer at the church thrift shop. Since most of the volunteers are elderly I do all the heavy work of bringing in the new donations and disposing of the items we can not sell. This translates to 3 hours of lugging things up and down stairs and from one building to another. All hard work that as I say is 'good for the body and good for the soul." In addition to the thrift shop work I just finished a huge sewing project for the bell choir (glad to have it done as it was a much larger project than I anticipated). Now the minister just asked me if I would like to join the next mission trip to Haiti. We have been sending groups 1-2 times a year to build homes since the earth quake and she knows I would love to go. As much as I would love to I just feel I can not at this time. I am actively looking for a job and it needs to be my priority.

Does anyone have any recipes using green tomatoes? I pulled up my garden yesterday and am looking for ideas. The larger ones I will wrap with newspapers to ripen, but looking for ideas to use the smaller ones.
  • cbmcphillips
    10. Don't stock junk food
    To avoid temptation, avoid stocking junk food, such as chocolate, biscuits, crisps and sweet fizzy drinks, at home. Instead, stock up on healthy snacks, such as fruit, unsalted rice cakes, oat cakes, unsalted or unsweetened popcorn and fruit juice.

chocolate and pastries are my weakness.... that's why we run jump and do zumba....

Carol

Tammy - you continue to inspire us mere mortals.....
  • So glad you shared this on FB today, I had never heard of Fitness Pal, although 3 friends are already using it. I have been with Weight Watchers 3 years and my weight continues to yo-yo and I can't focus on points and going to meetings. This Food chart is the best! Now I can really see where I am going wrong and don't have to guess and do a lot of math!
  • bisland
    Laurie is a friend of mine from high school and actually a distant cousin. I know she will be a great asset to the group. Welcome aboard Laurie!
  • TArnold2012
    Welcome Laurie

Just wanted to point out to double check numbers on items from time to time as some foods are complete wrong in MFP !!! Once you find foods with the correct nutritional facts and log them they will be in your diary and you can rely on them in the future for use.
  • seehe
    Welcome back Bis and Welcome Laurie! Great to see you both :-)
  • TArnold2012
    Found this gem as I was trolling....

After being motivated initially, there comes the second part - staying motivated when you don’t feel the same excitement as you did in the beginning. Perhaps something new has come into your life and your old goal isn’t as much of a priority anymore. Perhaps you skipped a day or two and now you can’t get back into it. Perhaps you screwed up and got discouraged.
    If you can get yourself excited again, and keep going, you’ll get there eventually. But if you give up, you won’t. It’s your choice — accomplish the goal, or quit. Here’s how you can stop from quitting, and get to your goal.

1. Hold yourself back. When you start with a new exercise program, or any new goal really, usually you're raring to go, full of excitement, and with enthusiasm that knows no boundaries. You have no sense of self-limitation and think you can do anything. It’s not long, however, before you do learn that you have limitations, and your enthusiasm begins to wane. A great motivator is that when you have so much energy at the beginning of a program, and want to go all out — hold back. Don’t let yourself do everything you want to do. Only let yourself do 50-75 percent of what you want to do. And plan out a course of action where you slowly increase over time. For example:

***If you want to go running, you might think you can run 3 miles at first. But instead of letting yourself do that, start by only running a mile. When you're doing that mile, tell yourself that you can do more! But don’t let yourself. After that workout, you’ll be looking forward to the next workout, when you’ll let yourself do 1.5 miles. Keep that energy reined in, harness it, so that you can ride it even further.

2. Just start. There are some days when you don’t feel like heading out the door for a run, or figuring out your budget, or whatever it is you’re supposed to do that day for your goal. Well, instead of thinking about how hard it is, and how long it will take, tell yourself that you just have to start. For example, just put on your running shoes and close the door behind you. After that, it all flows naturally. It’s when you’re sitting in your house, thinking about running and feeling tired, that it seems hard. Once you start, it is never as hard as you thought it would be. This tip works well every time.

3. Stay accountable. If you've committed yourself publicly, through an online forum (MFP has proven to be amazing for this), on a blog, in email, or in person, stay accountable to that group of people. Commit to report back to them daily, or something like that, and stick to it! That accountability will help you to want to do well, because you don’t want to report that you’ve failed.

**** Consider even drastic measures of accountability. Give someone a sum of money and they can only give it back little by little every time you hit the gym, or for every pound lost, or every mile run. You can even draw up a contract![1]

4. Squash negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones. This is one of the most important motivation skills, and it is important to practice it daily. It’s important to start monitoring your thoughts, and to recognize negative self-talk. Just spend a few days becoming aware of every negative thought. Then, after a few days, try squashing those negative thoughts like a bug, and then replacing them with a corresponding positive thought. Squash, “This is too hard!” and replace it with, “I can do this! If that wimp on TV can do it, so can I!” It sounds corny, but it works. Really.

5. Think about the benefits. Thinking about how hard something is is a big problem for most people. Waking early sounds so hard! Just thinking about it makes you tired. But instead of thinking about how hard something is, think about what you will get out of it. For example, instead of thinking about how hard it is to wake early, focus on how good you’ll feel when you’re done, and how your day will be so much better. The benefits of something will help energize you.

6. Get excited again! Think about why you lost your excitement, then think about why you were excited in the first place. Can you get that back? What made you want to do the goal? What made you passionate about it? Try to build that up again, refocus yourself, get energized.

7. Read about it. Just read a book or blog about your goal. It will inspire you and reinvigorates you. For some reason, reading helps motivate and focus you on whatever you’re reading about. So read about your goal every day, if you can, especially when you’re not feeling motivated.

8. Find like-minded friends. Staying motivated on your own is tough. But if you find someone with similar goals (running, dieting, finances, etc.), see if they’d like to partner with you. Or partner with your spouse, sibling or best friend on whatever goals they’re trying to achieve. You don’t have to be going after the same goals — as long as you are both pushing and encouraging each other to succeed. Other good options are groups in your area (be part of a running club, for example) or online forums where you can find people to talk to about your goals.

9. Read inspiring stories. Inspiration can come from others who have achieved what you want to achieve, or who are currently doing it. Read other blogs, books, magazines. Google your goal, and read success stories. You will soon grow to love reading success stories.

10. Build on your successes. Every little step along the way is a success — celebrate the fact that you even started! And then do it for two days! Celebrate every little milestone. Take that successful feeling and build on it, with another baby step. Add 2-3 minutes to your exercise routine, for example. With each step (and each step should last about a week), you will feel even more successful. Make each step really, really small, and you won’t fail. After a couple of months, your tiny steps will add up to a lot of progress and a lot of success.

11. Just get through the low points. Motivation is not a constant thing that is always there for you. It comes and goes, and comes and goes again, like the tide. But realize that while it may go away, it doesn’t do so permanently. It will come back. Just stick it out and wait for that motivation to come back. In the meantime, read about your goal, ask for help, and do some of the other things listed here until your motivation comes back.

12. Get help. It’s hard to accomplish something alone. Whether it's quitting smoking, running a marathon or writing a thesis, it is important to find your support network, either in the real world or online, or both.

13. Chart your progress. This can be as simple as marking an X on your calendar, or creating a simple spreadsheet, or logging your goal using online software. But it can be vastly rewarding to look back on your progress and to see how far you’ve come, and it can help you to keep going — you don’t want to have too many days without an X! Now, you will have some bad marks on your chart. That’s OK. Don’t let a few bad marks stop you from continuing. Strive instead to get the good marks next time.

14. Reward yourself often. For every little step along the way, celebrate your success, and give yourself a reward. It helps to write down appropriate rewards for each step, so that you can look forward to those rewards. By appropriate, this means 1) it’s proportionate to the size of the goal (don’t reward going on a 1-mile run with a luxury cruise in the Bahamas); and 2) it doesn’t ruin your goal — if you are trying to lose weight, don’t reward a day of healthy eating with a dessert binge. It’s self-defeating.

15. Go for mini-goals. Sometimes large or longer-term goals can be overwhelming. After a couple weeks, we may lose motivation, because we still have several months or a year or more left to accomplish the goal. It’s hard to maintain motivation for a single goal for such a long time. Solution: break it down into smaller goals along the way.

16. Get a coach or take a class. These will motivate you to at least show up, and to take action. It can be applied to any goal. This might be one of the more expensive ways of motivating yourself, but it works. And if you do some research, you might find some cheap classes in your area, or you might know a friend who will provide coaching or counselling for free.

17. Never skip two days in a row. This rule takes into account our natural tendency to miss days now and then. We are not perfect. So, you missed one day… now the second day is upon you and you are feeling lazy; tell yourself "No! You will not miss two days in a row!".

18. Use visualization. Visualize your successful outcome in great detail. Close your eyes, and think about exactly how your successful outcome will look, will feel, will smell and taste and sound like. Where are you when you become successful? How do you look? What are you wearing? Form as clear a mental picture as possible. Now here’s the next key: do it every day. For at least a few minutes each day. This is the only way to keep that motivation going over a long period of time.

19. Be aware of your urges to quit, and overcome them. We all have urges to stop, but they are mostly unconscious. One of the most powerful things you can do is to start being more conscious of those urges. A good exercise is to go through the day with a little piece of paper and put a tally mark for each time you get an urge. It simply makes you aware of the urges. Then have a plan for when those urges hit, and plan for it beforehand, and write down your plan, because once those urges hit, you will not feel like coming up with a plan.

20. Find pleasure again. No one can stick to something for long if they find it unpleasant, and are only rewarded after months of toil. There has to be fun, pleasure, joy in it, every day, or you won’t want to do it. Find those pleasurable things — the beauty of a morning run, for example, or the satisfaction in reporting to people that you finished another step along the way, or the deliciousness of a healthy meal. Live in the moment. Then think about the steps to your future and how you can smooth your dreams in each moment ahead...
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,457 Member
    Just popping in for a very quick HELLOOOOOO - miss you all so much; only one more shift left in this longest stretch EVER... have been catching up a bit but eyes are closing as i type.. and we all know my typing is bad enough at the best of times soooo won't subject you to any further ugly lol...... looking forward to a few days off and catching up!!

Bis - so good to see ya girl.... ! Laurie - welcome !!! great to have you aboard..... and know you'll do fabulous with all the great tools here on MFP and the support and encouragement from all!

Gail - totally hear ya on being wary of the new boss.. we got an email theother day from the REALLY big boss saying no internet or personal cell phones during shift.. sigh.. so for a few months we'll all be good little robots lol... glad to hear you're ok otherwise!

Tammy - love all the tidbits and so happy to hear the protein uppage is going great!! i really look forward to hearing your feedback!

Susan - posted on your profile a while back love the pic... lolol.... its beyootiful!!! even down to the hands in claws.. well done!! how are the poor footsies holding up?

Carol - hope all is well...... glad you identified "jason" in the pic.... i am such a loser when it comes to movies.. never been a fan (I honestly think the last one I saw was "back to the future.." yes.. the original one ... and I fell asleep in the theatre..... but I've HEARD of jason from the halloween movies.... so at least i had some idea lol!

hugs all around..... and see ya on the flipside of tomorrow.... have never been so happy to see a friday before!!!! :o)