3. Maintenance calories.
4. Bulk calories.
5. Bulk goal duration.
6. Lifting program.

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This will be my first bulk, starting on October 13 (I'm running a marathon on October 12).

1. Starting weight. 120 lbs
    2. Bulk goal weight. 130 lbs
    3. Maintenance calories. 2000
    4. Bulk calories. 2200 on rest days, 2400 on lifting days
    5. Bulk goal duration. 3-4 months depending on bulk rate
    6. Lifting program. NROL4W
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm not bulking now but I did a couple of years ago. Still haven't successfully "cut" afterwards however.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Started Monday the 30th unofficially, had some cravings I gave into this last week. :tongue: In effect I'm bringing my bulk a few weeks forward.

1. Starting weight: 54 kg
    2. Bulk goal weight: 58 kg
    3. Maintenance calories: 2000
    4. Bulk calories: 2300
    5. Bulk goal duration: 4 months
    6. Lifting program: All Pro's SBR

Would it be ok to start a journal thread for me to keep all details and share them with anyone interested?
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I'm not bulking now but I did a couple of years ago. Still haven't successfully "cut" afterwards however.

Welcome! I'm great at cutting, not so much bulking. I'd love to help you on your journey.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Started Monday the 30th unofficially, had some cravings I gave into this last week. :tongue: In effect I'm bringing my bulk a few weeks forward.

1. Starting weight: 54 kg
    2. Bulk goal weight: 58 kg
    3. Maintenance calories: 2000
    4. Bulk calories: 2300
    5. Bulk goal duration: 4 months
    6. Lifting program: All Pro's SBR

Would it be ok to start a journal thread for me to keep all details and share them with anyone interested?

Glad you joined! Please do create a journal, I'd love to see your progress. I'm going to start one when I commence my bulk as well!
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this group!

I just started slowly adding cals each week to build up to a bulk. Have sat at maintenance for about a week now. Will stay here for another week or two and then continue to bump. Should hit TDEE +20% by the end of the month.

1. Starting weight- 119
    2. Bulk goal weight- 130
    3. Maintenance calories- Trying to find that now- Most calculators point me to around 2050
    4. Bulk calories- Again, testing the waters- assuming 2250
    5. Bulk goal duration- Fall & Winter months
    6. Lifting program- Almost completed first round of Stronglifts 5x5 in addition to two isolation lifting days with moderate working up to heavy weights. Will likely do another round of Stronglifts.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    So happy to see this group!

I just started slowly adding cals each week to build up to a bulk. Have sat at maintenance for about a week now. Will stay here for another week or two and then continue to bump. Should hit TDEE +20% by the end of the month.

1. Starting weight- 119
    2. Bulk goal weight- 130
    3. Maintenance calories- Trying to find that now- Most calculators point me to around 2050
    4. Bulk calories- Again, testing the waters- assuming 2250
    5. Bulk goal duration- Fall & Winter months
    6. Lifting program- Almost completed first round of Stronglifts 5x5 in addition to two isolation lifting days with moderate working up to heavy weights. Will likely do another round of Stronglifts.

Excellent! We've got some pretty similar goals! I've done 5x5 before but my weights stalled because of marathon training Looking forward to ceasing cardio and concentrating on lifting :drinker:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! :bigsmile:

I have been slowwwwly upping my intake to maintenance over the summer. My intake has been about 2500 since mid-August , and my weight has crept up from ~128 to ~131.5 lbs since then.

1. Starting weight: 130
    2. Bulk goal weight: 140
    3. Maintenance calories: ~2400 ish? (NEAT is down and I've been lazy w/ cardio lately so this might be a high estimate now).
    4. Bulk calories: ~2500-2600 (going to coast here a little while longer and see how it goes given my reduced activity)
    5. Bulk goal duration: until the end of January. I figure it's safe to say that I've been unofficially bulking since September :)
    6. Lifting program: All Pro's - starting my 7th cycle next week! :drinker:

I like pandorakick's idea of each person starting a single thread to provide updates and progress; general questions and tips could go in other threads...it would be much easier to see what everybody's been up to if it all goes in one place, like a log :) I was planning on writing something up next week when I start my new lifting cycle - I'll be taking pictures and measurements at that point so it seemed like a good place to start.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Hi folks! :bigsmile:

I have been slowwwwly upping my intake to maintenance over the summer. My intake has been about 2500 since mid-August , and my weight has crept up from ~128 to ~131.5 lbs since then.

1. Starting weight: 130
    2. Bulk goal weight: 140
    3. Maintenance calories: ~2400 ish? (NEAT is down and I've been lazy w/ cardio lately so this might be a high estimate now).
    4. Bulk calories: ~2500-2600 (going to coast here a little while longer and see how it goes given my reduced activity)
    5. Bulk goal duration: until the end of January. I figure it's safe to say that I've been unofficially bulking since September :)
    6. Lifting program: All Pro's - starting my 7th cycle next week! :drinker:

I like pandorakick's idea of each person starting a single thread to provide updates and progress; general questions and tips could go in other threads...it would be much easier to see what everybody's been up to if it all goes in one place, like a log :) I was planning on writing something up next week when I start my new lifting cycle - I'll be taking pictures and measurements at that point so it seemed like a good place to start.

I agree-- thanks! I'm totally new to this whole forum starting thing :laugh:
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Ooh, great timing for this group!

1. Starting weight. 128
    2. Bulk goal weight. 140
    3. Maintenance calories. approx. 2000 according to my Fitbit
    4. Bulk calories. 2200 to start
    5. Bulk goal duration. 24 weeks (April 1) or when I hit 140
    6. Lifting program. Nia Shank's Beautiful Badass with some modifications
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Glad you joined! Please do create a journal, I'd love to see your progress. I'm going to start one when I commence my bulk as well!
    Great! À first write up will follow later this week :happy:
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Ooh, great timing for this group!

1. Starting weight. 128
    2. Bulk goal weight. 140
    3. Maintenance calories. approx. 2000 according to my Fitbit
    4. Bulk calories. 2200 to start
    5. Bulk goal duration. 24 weeks (April 1) or when I hit 140
    6. Lifting program. Nia Shank's Beautiful Badass with some modifications

Sounds like an awesome plan!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I have a thread in the gaining weight section that has pictures etc of my progress so far. I started at the beginning of last month by getting up to my maintenance calories which is 1700-1800. This month I'm eating 2000 calories and so far I'm up 1/2 lb. which is my goal.

I plan to continue eating at a surplus through March or April 2014. I do not have a goal weight. Rather I'm going to go based on how I look rather than what I weigh. At the least though, I would like to add 3-4 pounds of muscle to my frame, which realistically at my age (46) will take several months to do.

This week I'm switching from a 3x a week full body routine to a four day split routine. I've only been lifting since mid to late June, so this seems early to me, but I hired an online personal trainer/coach a few weeks ago and he's monitoring my exercise and nutrition now and pointing out any changes he feels necessary.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    1. Starting weight: 160
    2. Bulk goal weight: 170
    3. Maintenance calories: 2250
    4. Bulk calories: 2500
    5. Bulk goal duration. 2 months
    6. Lifting program. modified 3x5 due to pre-existing injuries

Just finished it up actually, back now to a cut. At 160lbs I was at 26-27% BF using calipers. Current check put me right around same BF% now at 170. Aim is to cut down to 155-160 again and see where I stand.
  • TriLifter
    Options

Just finished it up actually, back now to a cut. At 160lbs I was at 26-27% BF using calipers. Current check put me right around same BF% now at 170. Aim is to cut down to 155-160 again and see where I stand.

Awesome work! Can't wait to hear the results of the cut!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Hello everyone. I have a thread in the gaining weight section that has pictures etc of my progress so far. I started at the beginning of last month by getting up to my maintenance calories which is 1700-1800. This month I'm eating 2000 calories and so far I'm up 1/2 lb. which is my goal.

I plan to continue eating at a surplus through March or April 2014. I do not have a goal weight. Rather I'm going to go based on how I look rather than what I weigh. At the least though, I would like to add 3-4 pounds of muscle to my frame, which realistically at my age (46) will take several months to do.

This week I'm switching from a 3x a week full body routine to a four day split routine. I've only been lifting since mid to late June, so this seems early to me, but I hired an online personal trainer/coach a few weeks ago and he's monitoring my exercise and nutrition now and pointing out any changes he feels necessary.

So glad you joined--looking forward to watching your progress!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Awesome work! Can't wait to hear the results of the cut!

I had my math on my phone and posted that from my PC but a bit more info. Basically with the few methods for BF% averaged out I use it says 7-8lbs LBM gain and 2-3lbs "fat" so crossing my fingers at the end of the cut I am still above 120lbs LBM. Right now I am 124. I can expect some LBM loss but hoping to keep it to 1/3 if no less of my weight loss over the cut.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Popping in to say I'm hoping to be ready to bulk by Thanksgiving, but shall watch and lurk and learn from now until then.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    1. Starting weight - 160 lbs
    2. Bulk goal weight -170 lbs
    3. Maintenance calories ~2300
    4. Bulk calories ~2600 (using a BMF and going 270 over TDEE as a goal)
    5. Bulk goal duration - Oct-Dec
    6. Lifting program - Full body, AB alternating 3x a week plus 2 low-intensity (recovery HR) run days and 2 rest days.

I feel like a full body routine 3 times a week isn't enough.

Nice to meet you all! Glad this group is here :)
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    1. Starting weight - 160 lbs
    2. Bulk goal weight -170 lbs
    3. Maintenance calories ~2300
    4. Bulk calories ~2600 (using a BMF and going 270 over TDEE as a goal)
    5. Bulk goal duration - Oct-Dec
    6. Lifting program - Full body, AB alternating 3x a week plus 2 low-intensity (recovery HR) run days and 2 rest days.

I feel like a full body routine 3 times a week isn't enough.

Nice to meet you all! Glad this group is here :)

Sometimes I worry about the same thing. I feel like in order to be successful, I need to do a BB split four times a week. However, I tried it out a while back and just don't like it as much as a 3xweek full body.