Introductions

Options

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hullo, people. Been lurking for a few weeks, and while I am not going on a bulk just yet, I figured I might already introduce myself.

Starting weight: Currently 110 lbs, cutting down to 100~ before embarking on the bulk. Yeah, I'm tiny. :<
    Bulk goal weight: 115ish or whenever my wardrobe will start complaining. I can't really afford new clothes. Hah.
    Maintenance calories: Last time I had an uninterrupted month of very meticulous logging, my calculations pointed at somewhere around 1900~. Planning to have another spotless four weeks now so I can verify. I do know that I cut quite steadily at anywhere from 1500 to 1700, though.
    Bulk calories: TBD.
    Bulk goal duration: As long as necessary. Not huge on being all trim for the summer, anyway.
    Lifting program: 5/3/1.

Well, that was a bit wordier than necessary. Uh oh.

HAHAHA...not too wordy at all! Welcome to the group!
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

New on this forum and currently bulking (or trying to at least)!

1. Starting weight - 132 lbs
    2. Bulk goal weight - No particular goal weight, going purely by looks but do not want to go over 150 lbs
    3. Maintenance calories - Still trying to determine this, but it appears to be around 2200-2300
    4. Bulk calories - Still trying to figure this out as I monitor scale weight gains
    5. Bulk goal duration - I'd like to go all of 2014 as long as fat gains don't get out of control
    6. Lifting program - I work with a trainer 2 days per week, NROL4W one day, and a Strong Curves glute focused workout 1 day/week
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Welcome to both of you!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I did a short lean bulk last year w/ stronglifts 5x5 but none I want to go harder :drinker:

1. Starting weight: 118lbs
    2. Bulk goal weight: None
    3. Maintenance calories: 1650
    4. Bulk calories: 1880 ATM b/c I'm recovering from a wrist fracture but it will be 2000 calories
    5. Bulk goal duration: 4 months
    6. Lifting program: All Pro's SBR
  • RaeLB
    Options
    I did a short lean bulk last year w/ stronglifts 5x5 but now I want to go harder :drinker:

4. Bulk calories: 1880 ATM b/c I'm recovering from a wrist fracture but it will be 2000 calories
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    :wink: Hi
  • RaeLB
    Options
    :wink: Hi

WTH I quoted rather than edited? uhh sorry about the double posts!

Oh, hi! I found this group through you actually lol (saw it on your newsfeed).
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I did a short lean bulk last year w/ stronglifts 5x5 but none I want to go harder :drinker:

Hi! I think we're doing the same routine. Enjoying it so far?
  • RaeLB
    Options

I think I preferred 5x5 - I might switch it up. You?
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options

I think I preferred 5x5 - I might switch it up. You?

I like it! I did 5/3/1 before, but I couldn't regularly get to the gym 4x/week, so I fell quite behind on it.
  • Soano
    Soano Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi, count me in for bulking :) I've started yesterday, and I hope to gain some 6-8lb of muscle during the next year. Before that, I was focused on losing the 30lb that I had gained, and then maintained my weight for about 2 years. I think I still have some muscular potential that I have not tapped into, and I'd like some more muscle on my body. It wasn't a quick decision, but now I've set my mind to it and decided to do my first bulk ever :)
    My stats:
    1. Starting weight: 106lbs
    2. Bulk goal weight: 118-120lbs
    3. Maintenance calories: 1800-1830
    4. Bulk calories: 1950 for the beginning, I might increase that if I see the need for it. I aim to gain 1lb per month.
    5. Bulk goal duration: 12 months
    6. Lifting program: I'm not following a program, instead I've designed my own workout (upper/lower split). I have quite some experience with training and my body (5 years), so I'm positive it'll work for me.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hi, count me in for bulking :) I've started yesterday, and I hope to gain some 6-8lb of muscle during the next year. Before that, I was focused on losing the 30lb that I had gained, and then maintained my weight for about 2 years. I think I still have some muscular potential that I have not tapped into, and I'd like some more muscle on my body. It wasn't a quick decision, but now I've set my mind to it and decided to do my first bulk ever :)
    My stats:
    1. Starting weight: 106lbs
    2. Bulk goal weight: 118-120lbs
    3. Maintenance calories: 1800-1830
    4. Bulk calories: 1950 for the beginning, I might increase that if I see the need for it. I aim to gain 1lb per month.
    5. Bulk goal duration: 12 months
    6. Lifting program: I'm not following a program, instead I've designed my own workout (upper/lower split). I have quite some experience with training and my body (5 years), so I'm positive it'll work for me.

Welcome!

I must say...you have a damn nice back/v taper!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    hello :)

have fun wit the bulk! :drinker:
    and I agree with HMVOL, very nice back!
  • Soano
    Soano Posts: 7
    Options
    Well, thank both of you for the compliments, that makes me happy :) Lots of pull-ups over the years have given me that back. They're also good for gretting a grip like a vice which is useful for so much - from opening jars to heavy(-ish) deadlifts. Dunno if my DL of 90lb would be considered heavy, though.
    Yep, I'm definitely looking forward to this bulk and to the strength and mass gaining phase this year. It's such a big difference between lifting on a deficit or on a surplus.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    So I just noticed this sticky. Whoops - here we go. My starting weight was as of 2/2/14 when I started my bulk:

1. Starting weight: 136.9 lbs (I'm 5'8, and at this weight I got a lot of "you're too skinny" comments
    2. Bulk goal weight: don't really have one. Just hoping to gain .25-.5 lb per week for as long as I can stand it
    3. Maintenance calories: 2200
    4. Bulk calories: 2400
    5. Bulk goal duration: at least 12 weeks. Any longer will just be icing on the cake.
    6. Lifting program: Was doing PHUL for the first 4 weeks. Week 5 - switched to Strong Curves.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So I just noticed this sticky. Whoops - here we go. My starting weight was as of 2/2/14 when I started my bulk:

1. Starting weight: 136.9 lbs (I'm 5'8, and at this weight I got a lot of "you're too skinny" comments
    2. Bulk goal weight: don't really have one. Just hoping to gain .25-.5 lb per week for as long as I can stand it
    5. Bulk goal duration: at least 12 weeks. Any longer will just be icing on the cake.
    6. Lifting program: Was doing PHUL for the first 4 weeks. Week 5 - switched to Strong Curves.

how are you doing on this?? been about a month right...

only 200 over seems like way not enough- esp as you start this you're body will need MORE (meaning maintenance level will rise- you might stall out)
  • __freckles__
    Options

how are you doing on this?? been about a month right...

only 200 over seems like way not enough- esp as you start this you're body will need MORE (meaning maintenance level will rise- you might stall out)

Well as of yesterday I was 138.9. So 2 lbs in 4 weeks seems pretty solid to me. But let me know what you think. I was told a "clean" bulk was 125 calories over maintanance for a woman, so I went with 200 because I figured I might miscalculate something and being over on a bulk is always better.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Well as of yesterday I was 138.9. So 2 lbs in 4 weeks seems pretty solid to me. But let me know what you think. I was told a "clean" bulk was 125 calories over maintanance for a woman, so I went with 200 because I figured I might miscalculate something and being over on a bulk is always better.

clean just means a small surplus- there isn't a fixed number really- more of a guide line- usually I got with anything around 250 is clean - 500 is pushing dirty.

Men can get away with 500 being clean- over that starts getting dirty.

And yes- being on a bulk- being over is a little better- it's so easy to sabotage yourself LOL- I actually erred on the side of lower- knowing I was more than likely going to over eat- starting maintenance for me was 1800- so I was shooting for 400 over- and it took m e almost a month to see some changes (I think I was under estimating maintenance a hair but not by much). I started playing a little faster and looser with my calories and saw better gains to be honest.

You are shooting for 12 weeks? that's only 3 months- I would personally up it if I was you- if you were doing a longer bulk I would say go "leaner" with 2-300 calories on the bulking phase- but since it's shorter- I'd go ham. If I was doing 2-3 months- I'd personal be shooting for 5-700 over. I assume the first weight I gain isn't gain at all- it's retention/replenishment- but if you mean 2 lbs of solid gain (meaning your average has gone up and stayed up) then yes it's good- 1/2 lbs a week- solid.

But there is no right answer here- if you are happy with it- go for it- it's very trial and error. Get your lift on and use the time to enjoy LOTS of the foods you normally have to be careful with LOL

I don't know what strong curves is like for lifting- I know it's a solid- reputable program- but really-as long as you are lifting- have at it!
  • __freckles__
    Options

clean just means a small surplus- there isn't a fixed number really- more of a guide line- usually I got with anything around 250 is clean - 500 is pushing dirty.

Men can get away with 500 being clean- over that starts getting dirty.

And yes- being on a bulk- being over is a little better- it's so easy to sabotage yourself LOL- I actually erred on the side of lower- knowing I was more than likely going to over eat- starting maintenance for me was 1800- so I was shooting for 400 over- and it took m e almost a month to see some changes (I think I was under estimating maintenance a hair but not by much). I started playing a little faster and looser with my calories and saw better gains to be honest.

You are shooting for 12 weeks? that's only 3 months- I would personally up it if I was you- if you were doing a longer bulk I would say go "leaner" with 2-300 calories on the bulking phase- but since it's shorter- I'd go ham. If I was doing 2-3 months- I'd personal be shooting for 5-700 over. I assume the first weight I gain isn't gain at all- it's retention/replenishment- but if you mean 2 lbs of solid gain (meaning your average has gone up and stayed up) then yes it's good- 1/2 lbs a week- solid.

But there is no right answer here- if you are happy with it- go for it- it's very trial and error. Get your lift on and use the time to enjoy LOTS of the foods you normally have to be careful with LOL

I don't know what strong curves is like for lifting- I know it's a solid- reputable program- but really-as long as you are lifting- have at it!

Thanks Jo for all the great advice. I'm definitely going to look into increasing my calories. As you said, everything is an estimate and especially this first time around it's all trial and error. I appreciate all the advice I can get. For the immediate future I think I'm going to stick with 2400 and see if my gains continue to be solid. I said 12 weeks because that's my first goal. I may end up going 4-6 months. I really have no idea. It's all up in the air. For now I'm loving the small gains I'm seeing (minus bloat!) and really loving the lifting. :) Thanks again - your advice means a lot.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    :) no worries- just a bored employee looking to fill time and have good conversations. Like I said- very trial and error- so just keep plugging away!!! :)

speaking of going over- I hit like 2800 yesterday- none workout day- holy crap that was a lot of food!!!!