Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Introductions

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Hi :)
    I start with height cause I'm a giant. 5'11.5"

Cw: 157
    Gw: about 165 but u don't have a clue
    Maintenance calories: 2350
    Bulk calories: 2600-2700
    Bulk duration about 3 months (maybe with a minimum cut for about a week so I look ok on Christmas)
    Lifting programme: split routine a bit like phat but less volume and craziness so a beginner can handle it.

I'm starting my bulk next week! Eeeeeekkk!!

Edit to add: I'm very much into iifym (can't live without chocolate) and I'm a vegetarian :)
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Hi :)
    I start with height cause I'm a giant. 5'11.5"

Cw: 157
    Gw: about 165 but u don't have a clue
    Maintenance calories: 2350
    Bulk calories: 2600-2700
    Bulk duration about 3 months (maybe with a minimum cut for about a week so I look ok on Christmas)
    Lifting programme: split routine a bit like phat but less volume and craziness so a beginner can handle it.

I'm starting my bulk next week! Eeeeeekkk!!

Edit to add: I'm very much into iifym (can't live without chocolate) and I'm a vegetarian :)

Welcome!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Hi ladies -- Not sure I'm up to the level most of you are at, but here's my intro.

Started Thursday 10/10

SW: 129
    GW: Undecided

Maintenance calories: 1520 + exercise
    Bulk calories: 1600 + exercise

Duration: Undecided

Program: Modified SS beginning
    (squat, bench, deadlift, press, good morning -- 3x/week)

I didn't want to alternate upper body exercises, and I really like the stretch from good mornings at 20-25 pounds. So instead of the A/B program, I do those five lifts every time. I've just settled into this program in the past month.

The calories might need explanation. I use MFP's NEAT method, not TDEE. I set my activity level to sedentary and use a Fitbit to track and adjust daily activity. I log a burn of about 300 kcal/hour for weight workouts. So I'm typically eating between 1800 and 2000 calories a day.

I upped the calories because I couldn't continue lifting and running at a deficit; I was losing strength when I lifted and getting sharp cramps when I ran. I'm not sure how long I'll stay on a surplus. What I'm after is just strength gains. If my clothes start getting tight, I'll probably re-evaluate at that point.

I'm a bit nervous about this too, which is a small part of the reason I'm doing it. I like weighing in daily and tracking trends, but I don't really want my scale to dictate my life. The number I'm at now is for the benefit of my joints, but I think squats will help my joints handle more weight anyway. So there's a psychological element to this too.

I've cut back on my running to prioritize the lifting, but my other personal goal is somewhat in conflict... I want to start Krav Maga training early next year. So I'm not entirely certain which way I'll go with this and when. This doesn't concern me too much at this point; I'm fairly happy with how things are going, just having fun and enjoying the activity.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Welcome, whitebalance!
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Hello !

I am thinking about doing my first bulk this winter but I have no clue where to start! From what I have read so far, I should add about 100 cals a week until I start to see a gain. I plan to start Nov 1st. Any help is appreciated! :)
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Hello !

I am thinking about doing my first bulk this winter but I have no clue where to start! From what I have read so far, I should add about 100 cals a week until I start to see a gain. I plan to start Nov 1st. Any help is appreciated! :)

Hey stranger! You are already eating at mainenance, right? If so, just do what you said above and you should be good to go. Remember to weigh once a week and adjust from there. Try to aim for a .5lb - .75lb/week gain.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    ya, i'm eating at maintenance already. Looks like it's time to pull the scale out again :) Thanks!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Hi! I'm glad to have found this group, thank you PrimalRunner for creating it. I'm not starting my bulk for another 3 weeks or so, but I'm definitely going to be lurking and researching and watching everyone's progress.

One suggestion-- instead of starting/goal weights (or in addition to) I think it would be more beneficial to see starting/goal body fat % as weight really isn't a good indicator of where people are without that other number.

Anyway, I'm Naomi.
    Current weight: 135 lbs /~19% body fat (I'm going to start creatine and wait for the water weight to level out before I begin my bulk, so my start weight will likely be higher. Ack!)
    Goal bulk weight (if all goes well): 8 lbs up from where I am when I begin.
    Maintenance calories: still figuring this out. About 1750?
    Bulk calories: about 2100? I will increase by 100 cals until I am steadily gaining 0.5lb/week
    Duration: four months
    Program: 5/3/1
  • TriLifter
    Hi! I'm glad to have found this group, thank you PrimalRunner for creating it. I'm not starting my bulk for another 3 weeks or so, but I'm definitely going to be lurking and researching and watching everyone's progress.

One suggestion-- instead of starting/goal weights (or in addition to) I think it would be more beneficial to see starting/goal body fat % as weight really isn't a good indicator of where people are without that other number.

Anyway, I'm Naomi.
    Current weight: 135 lbs /~19% body fat (I'm going to start creatine and wait for the water weight to level out before I begin my bulk, so my start weight will likely be higher. Ack!)
    Bulk calories: about 2100? I will increase by 100 cals until I am steadily gaining 0.5lb/week

Welcome, Naomi! I'm new to bulking and starting groups LOL, so good suggestion!
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Hi, I'm Jen!

1. Starting weight: 120.0- 16.53% BF
    2. Bulk goal weight: Going to go until I hit 25-27% BF. Not sure how much that actually translates to!
    3. Maintenance calories. 1878
    4. Bulk calories: 2066-2100
    5. Bulk goal duration: Now through New Years
    6. Lifting program: 5/3/1

I welcome any advice as I'm totally new to bulking.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Hi, I'm Jen!

1. Starting weight: 120.0- 16.53% BF
    2. Bulk goal weight: Going to go until I hit 25-27% BF. Not sure how much that actually translates to!
    3. Maintenance calories. 1878
    4. Bulk calories: 2066-2100
    5. Bulk goal duration: Now through New Years
    6. Lifting program: 5/3/1

I welcome any advice as I'm totally new to bulking.

Welcome to the best bulking party ever Jen! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Hi Jen!

I noticed that your goals don't seem to match up, so I crunched the numbers and found that if you increase your cals as you're planning (by about 250 to gain .5 lb/week) and your bulk lasts 9 weeks (till New Years), you would gain about 4.5 lbs total (of which about half will be fat). At 124.5 lbs with 2.25 lbs added fat, you will be 17.5% bodyfat, nowhere near your 25%+ goal.

If you want to bulk till you reach 25%, at the rate of 0.5 lb per week you would bulk 40+ weeks until you gain well over 20 lbs, assuming a likely half-fat and half-muscle gain. Just a little perspective :)
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Hi Jen!

I noticed that your goals don't seem to match up, so I crunched the numbers and found that if you increase your cals as you're planning (by about 250 to gain .5 lb/week) and your bulk lasts 9 weeks (till New Years), you would gain about 4.5 lbs total (of which about half will be fat). At 124.5 lbs with 2.25 lbs added fat, you will be 17.5% bodyfat, nowhere near your 25%+ goal.

If you want to bulk till you reach 25%, at the rate of 0.5 lb per week you would bulk 40+ weeks until you gain well over 20 lbs, assuming a likely half-fat and half-muscle gain. Just a little perspective :)

Thanks for crunching Naomi! I was 120 at the beginning of September but I'm actually sitting pretty at 131.2 right now :). I went on vacation for almost 3 weeks in september and came back weighing 125.4. I've been back home for 2 weeks now officially bulking.
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Boy am I glad that I found this group through Erika! I have been watching her bulk and she is looking so great! I don't plan to start bulking until December since I would like to lose about 10-15 lbs before I do. But I will most definitely be reading and following all of you in your journey until mine commences. Thanks PrimalRunner for starting it!!!! I'm so excited about starting mine, eating ALL the food, and lifting even HEAVIER! LOL!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Hi Jen!

Bingo.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member

Anyway, I'm Naomi.

Welcome!!!

I agree about the BF however I will only test mine professionally through bod pod and I don't plan on doing that anymore until I cut or compete. Having had it monitored closely for over a yr, last tested in August, I can visually tell where I am at. I do think it is much more beneficial than any scale though!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Hi, my name is Kim and I'm officially (slowly) beginning a bulk. I really want to gain some mass and definitely get stronger and I'm hoping a bulk will help me with that. TBH, I'm totally scared of gaining the weight but I know it's the best way for me to reach my goals so I'm hoping to make it through a long enough one for it to work. My starting weight is 114 but not sure how much I hope to gain. Since this is my first time I'm going to play it by ear and consider it a learning experience. I've been lifting for over a year and currently switched to PHUL on Muscle & Strength. Really liking the split after coming from 3x full body. I'm not totally sure of my TDEE but I think it could be in the 2400 ballpark. I upped my calories to 2300 today, going to try and do better on the weekends and take the slow approach.

Glad to officially join the group!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Hi, my name is Kim and I'm officially (slowly) beginning a bulk. I really want to gain some mass and definitely get stronger and I'm hoping a bulk will help me with that. TBH, I'm totally scared of gaining the weight but I know it's the best way for me to reach my goals so I'm hoping to make it through a long enough one for it to work. My starting weight is 114 but not sure how much I hope to gain. Since this is my first time I'm going to play it by ear and consider it a learning experience. I've been lifting for over a year and currently switched to PHUL on Muscle & Strength. Really liking the split after coming from 3x full body. I'm not totally sure of my TDEE but I think it could be in the 2400 ballpark. I upped my calories to 2300 today, going to try and do better on the weekends and take the slow approach.

Glad to officially join the group!
    Welcome!
  • RippedRunner
    RippedRunner Posts: 13 Member
    Hi! I am Dawn and am wanting to start a bulk and am in the beginning phases of learning more about what it entails. I have been lifting for about 2 years but was also an avid runner, so the two countered each other! Now focusing on building. Hoping to learn a lot from this group!!
    Starting weight: 120
  • TriLifter
    Hi! I am Dawn and am wanting to start a bulk and am in the beginning phases of learning more about what it entails. I have been lifting for about 2 years but was also an avid runner, so the two countered each other! Now focusing on building. Hoping to learn a lot from this group!!
    Starting weight: 120

Welcome, Dawn! You sound a lot like me. I started my bulk the day after I ran a marathon LOL