Your body fat percentage, your feelings about it.

13»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I think people tend to attach too much of their identity to it. It's easy to fall into trying to be a certain number, it's like you lose the obsession with weighing a particular number and replace it with an obsession about a particular body fat percentage instead, but it's still basing our judgement of ourselves on being a particular number/measurement, rather than on being a human being.

I also think there's a lot of pressure to be super lean, i.e. that 18% body fat is better than 28%... but both of those are in the healthy range, 23% is right in the middle of the healthy range (these numbers are for women but the same applies for men, but with different numbers, i.e. low end of the healthy range is seen as better than the high end of the healthy range)............ there's an attitude that, say, deciding to stay at 25% body fat because that's how you like your body to look, is somehow "giving up" or "not being the best you that you can be", and a lot of people consider women who lack visible muscle definition without looking fat to be "skinny-fat" as though the only healthy way for a woman to be is to have visible muscle definition. So all these influences really push people into thinking that they have to be ultra-lean or have a very low body fat percentage, to be acceptable, and pressure to keep on cutting below the levels of body fat that they actually might prefer if they looked at it objectively. There's also the idea that people should sacrifice everything else they might like about their bodies (e.g. boobs, hip fat, etc) to get visible abs.... visible abs are presented as the holy grail of fitness, when it's actually just one part of the whole person, and there are plenty of extremely fit, very attractive, very healthy men and women who don't have visible abs. Given all this, and all the value judgements on being ultra-lean, it's probably not surprising that a lot of people would be upset to find they have 5% more body fat than they think, even though that value is still in the healthy range, and they look the same in the mirror and they like how they look.

I'm really trying to escape the mentality of judging my body by numbers/measurements, and going purely by what I look like in the mirror. I'm not even that aesthetically minded (i.e. given a choice between a 300lb+ deadlift and 28% body fat, versus 18% body fat and a no better deadlift than I have now, I'd choose the 300lb+ deadlift and 28% body fat by far) but the whole "judge yourself by numbers" mentality is still very easy to fall into....... I'm not a set of numbers, I'm a human!! And the reason why I said 28% in the example I just gave, is because it's the top of the healthy range. I wouldn't want to be more than that for health reasons (and I'm bearing in mind that my estimate that my current bodyfat is probably somewhere between 23 and 25% could be out by 5% and for that reason and the fact I store body fat centrally I'm planning doing a cut to be sure I'm really in the healthy range) but at the same time I don't like the changes in my body that happen when i go below what accumeasure says is 22% body fat. So I'm not going to go below that, and it doesn't really matter what my *actual* body fat percentage is at what accumeasure says is 22%.... it's the amount of body fat that i don't want to have less than. And the amount I have now is the amount I don't want to have significantly more than unless it's going to give me a better wilks score with no health risk.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    A higher estimate would mean I wouldn't have to eat so much ****ing protein. Can some one tell me I'm 50% body fat please?
  • I agree that it should be all about the mirror and how you feel and not the numbers. Everyone is different and ranges are based on stats of 'average populations' so not applicable to everyone.

I measure mine on a hand foot BIA which I have at work and it comes up at around 30%. I look like the 30% pictures. I carry it in my breasts and belly. I like my breasts, but not so much my belly..

Although ~30% BF might be considered high by some, I'm by no means overweight and I have some nice definition happening in my arms now. It's taken about 2 years of some type of resistance training 3 x a week to get there with the most dramatic changes since doing heavier weights, which I am very grateful to Sara and Sidesteel for...wouldn't have considered heavy weights before finding this group.

Anyway it shows me that I don't have to knock myself out over the numbers like I thought I did.

Happy at 30% :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    A higher estimate would mean I wouldn't have to eat so much ****ing protein. Can some one tell me I'm 50% body fat please?

You are 50% body fat :tongue:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    This has been a really wonderful discussion! Thanks everyone! I do think that people place too much importance on the numbers. They decide that scale weight numbers aren't working (bmi is crap), so they shift to BF%. But, I have never seen an accurate way to measure BF%, to be honest (and I wouldn't fork over the cash on it). I'm happy with the results in the mirror. My husband is extremely happy, and I've known him since I was 18 and had two children and I've been through many stages of my life (I'm 35 now) with him and he is an extremely honest person (when it comes to this) since the very beginning, so I trust what he says. Like "do I look fat in this?" comes with a ridiculously honest scientist answer, I've always said I want honesty (and I do).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    hmmm...numbers....

I remember seeing ads from Nike about how we are measured...

Weight, tape measure, BMI, now BF%....and unfortunately people take those things to heart.

Self confidence doesn't come from those numbers it comes from within.

When/if I request with a pic that my BF% be esitmated or checked by anyone it will not make me feel "bad" about myself. It will just be another fork in the road where I have to choose what I want to do with that information but I can guarantee I wont be feeling bad about myself or insulted or mad at the person(s) who gave me the information...

I truly wish others could get to the point where they realize it's all about how you really feel about yourself...and if you feel good and are confident nothing...no numbers, no stats, no measurment will make or break you.

I think as others have said the most important thing is "How do I feel when I ....?" that blank could be look in the mirror, go to the gym, leave the gym after a workout, make a personal record on lifting...anything and with any luck that answer is

I feel pretty damn good...I have earned this and there is more to come because I am going to continue to work hard and acheive my goals only to set new one's whatever those goals are....

Cheers to you all and esp Sara and SS for the extra work they do and information they make available to us all.:drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I think people tend to attach too much of their identity to it. It's easy to fall into trying to be a certain number, it's like you lose the obsession with weighing a particular number and replace it with an obsession about a particular body fat percentage instead, but it's still basing our judgement of ourselves on being a particular number/measurement, rather than on being a human being.

I also think there's a lot of pressure to be super lean, i.e. that 18% body fat is better than 28%... but both of those are in the healthy range, 23% is right in the middle of the healthy range (these numbers are for women but the same applies for men, but with different numbers, i.e. low end of the healthy range is seen as better than the high end of the healthy range)............ there's an attitude that, say, deciding to stay at 25% body fat because that's how you like your body to look, is somehow "giving up" or "not being the best you that you can be", and a lot of people consider women who lack visible muscle definition without looking fat to be "skinny-fat" as though the only healthy way for a woman to be is to have visible muscle definition. So all these influences really push people into thinking that they have to be ultra-lean or have a very low body fat percentage, to be acceptable, and pressure to keep on cutting below the levels of body fat that they actually might prefer if they looked at it objectively. There's also the idea that people should sacrifice everything else they might like about their bodies (e.g. boobs, hip fat, etc) to get visible abs.... visible abs are presented as the holy grail of fitness, when it's actually just one part of the whole person, and there are plenty of extremely fit, very attractive, very healthy men and women who don't have visible abs. Given all this, and all the value judgements on being ultra-lean, it's probably not surprising that a lot of people would be upset to find they have 5% more body fat than they think, even though that value is still in the healthy range, and they look the same in the mirror and they like how they look.

I'm really trying to escape the mentality of judging my body by numbers/measurements, and going purely by what I look like in the mirror. I'm not even that aesthetically minded (i.e. given a choice between a 300lb+ deadlift and 28% body fat, versus 18% body fat and a no better deadlift than I have now, I'd choose the 300lb+ deadlift and 28% body fat by far) but the whole "judge yourself by numbers" mentality is still very easy to fall into....... I'm not a set of numbers, I'm a human!! And the reason why I said 28% in the example I just gave, is because it's the top of the healthy range. I wouldn't want to be more than that for health reasons (and I'm bearing in mind that my estimate that my current bodyfat is probably somewhere between 23 and 25% could be out by 5% and for that reason and the fact I store body fat centrally I'm planning doing a cut to be sure I'm really in the healthy range) but at the same time I don't like the changes in my body that happen when i go below what accumeasure says is 22% body fat. So I'm not going to go below that, and it doesn't really matter what my *actual* body fat percentage is at what accumeasure says is 22%.... it's the amount of body fat that i don't want to have less than. And the amount I have now is the amount I don't want to have significantly more than unless it's going to give me a better wilks score with no health risk.

Good points as usual.

I am trying to balance the whole strength/lifting v BF thing myself at the moment. The scale also matters to me due to trying to meet a certain weight class if I am to compete.

It does not matter what actual BF% I am - I know I am in a healthy range just by looking in the mirror. I can also easily gain 12lb+ and still be in a healthy range (especially as I store my fat in my *kitten*). I do want to be lean, but I also want to be strong, and while you can have both, the leaner I get, the more my lifts suffer. It is a balance and one I am currently struggling with. After being on the rather chunky side for a good few years I am enjoying having a low enough BF% to show muscle and to have a relatively flat stomach. However, I also am very passionate about lifting and want to make progress in the gym.

It's a hard balance, and one I am currently trying to work through.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    You cannot measure body fat percentage directly, which is why a bunch of complicated formulas exist to make an estimate based on a collection of metrics. I have been lifting now for about 3 months and have made some...

HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE gains.

The scale shows very little progress, but I have lost about 20 mm in skinfold measurements. A skinfold measurement taken by a caliper is a direct measurement unlike theoretical estimates that establish body fat %. I'm no weight-loss guru, but here is my advice:

1) Use the 30 day trend tool in your progress bar. Weigh yourself how ever much you like, but the trend line is what matters.
    2) Forget body fat percentage. You will never know the exact percentage.
    3) Take hard measurements with tape and calipers.
    4) Take progress pictures.

If you have a goal, the only way to track progress is through metrics. Everything else is bull ****. Body Fat calculations are mostly bull ****. The number the mods give you is going to be a good estimate + or - 3%, but that doesn't change what you see in the mirror. What matters is the relative change from picture to picture. If you gave me 10 pictures, I could assign the first picture as a value of 100, and give you a relative number of progress on each picture thereafter. It is basically the same idea, but without the pretension of trying to "know" the exact body fat composition of the person in the picture.

Come up with your goal and track progress. Neander has some great advice about the goal part. Once you have that down, figure out how you are going to measure progress. Forget absolute numbers. Progress is all that matters.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Thank you! I kind of feel like this was meant for me to read today. I do judge myself harshly based on things like BF%, weight, and even something stupid like how big my thighs are. I can look in the mirror today and think I look great, tomorrow my scale my not change any and I will start beating myself up.

So, thanks for the positive reinforcement!