JOURNAL: Dear bulking diary...

Options
pandorakick
pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
My original plan was to slowly walk up my daily intake to maintenance + 300 kcal, which for me is 2300 kcal total. However, last week I had such terrible cravings that I gave partially into, that I figure that I might as well start bulking now. 

Pre-bulk stats:

1. Starting weight per Monday 30 September: 54 kg (119 lbs)
2. Bulk goal weight: 58 kg (128 lbs) - based on a 4 month bulk
3. Length: 1.65 m (5'5")
4. Maintenance calories: 2000 
5. Bulk calories: 2300 
6. Bulk goal duration: 4 months (or 1 - 2 months longer if I can stand the extra flab)
7. Lifting program: All Pro's SBR 
8. Supplements: protein, multi vitamin and creatine (5 g / day)

Measurements:

Waist: 69 cm
Belly button: 77 cm
Hips: 82,5 cm
Thigh: 52 cm
Bicep (not flexed): 25 cm

Pictures (flexed):

36be59a4-89b9-447d-8cff-53fb619c1eb9.jpg

ae61ca19-bf98-4701-9fec-91d8696b37cf.jpg

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Awesome and good luck. A word of advice, at first I was very stuff and could not eat anymore than I got really hungry. It is very normal. Also do not freak out if you gain weight really fast at first. For me the first few pounds appeared pretty much overnight but then I gained half a pound a week.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Awesome starting point. Like Yanicka said, don't freak out with initial weight gain. More than likely you were replenishing your glycogen stores. I read for every gram of glycogen stored the body adds/stores 2.5 grams of water. That's the only way overnight weight gain can really be explained. :).
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Thank you both for your reaction! Somehow don't think that eating enough will be a problem... Will see how it goes! :laugh:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This is great--look forward to seeing your progress!
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Week 1: week of 30 Sep 2013

Unofficially started bulking this week because gave in to afore mentioned cravings.
    Average intake this week was:
    2099 kcal
    190 g carbs
    65 g fat
    129 g protein

These macro stats are not conclusive though, because I did a quick add for a party Saturday night.
    weight per 5 Oct = 54.1 kg.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your reaction! Somehow don't think that eating enough will be a problem... Will see how it goes! :laugh:

lulz I never have that problem either. :laugh: If someone told me I could eat 3500/day and gain at a sensible rate I'd be all WOO HOO!!! :love:
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Right on! Looking forward to following your progress.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Went out to buy a new winter coat this morning, because my old ones are all too big and worn down. Went for the cheapest I could find, because I've been replacing my wardrobe several times this past year. Size 36 (small) fit just fine, but taking extra layers of clothing and - dare I say it? - a more bulky me into account, I went for the next size up. I'm so proud at myself! :laugh:

It probably was a wise decision, because last few months my woven fabric jackets have become rather tight in the arms and shoulders as well as looser in the waist.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I'm going to need to go look for a coat for this winter as well, and also account for a "bulkier" me. :laugh:
  • pandorakick
    Options
    This past week I've been feeling so HUNGRY... Even right after dinner I didn't have that nice "can't fit anything more in" feeling. Well, today I have! :bigsmile: Had a party with dinner this afternoon/evening and had a total blast on lasagne and garlic bread (among other things). Hope this feeling keeps up for a while.

On another note, I've decided to switch workout routines. This week I'll be finishing up my 6th cycle of All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine. After that I intent to do All Pro's Intermediate 1 routine for 2 or 3 cycles. This routine has a more agressive lineair progression and utilizes exercises both in 5 and 10 rep range. I figure this will help get the most out of my potential bulking gains.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Is the intermediate program adaptable to dumbbells, do you think?
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Is the intermediate program adaptable to dumbbells, do you think?
    In my opinion API 1 is: the main exercises are squats, BP and BOR. The assistance exercises you are free to choose. When the available dumbbell weight for the squats become problematic Bulgarian one legged squats could be subbed. Because the increases are bigger you will run into problems lacking barbells sooner though. Wit this routine you are supposed to add extra weight every workout you get all reps in. +10 pounds if the weight is over 100 pounds, +5 if you are still below it.

API 2 is very complete as written but does require some machines. Therefor not very suitable for dumbbell only work...
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Week 2: week of 7 October 2013

Average intake this week was:
    2299 kcal
    232 g carbs
    69 g fat
    162 g protein

Weight per 13 Oct = 55.2 kg (+ 1.1 kg), it’s TOM though, so most likely a lot of water weight.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Weight per 13 Oct = 55.2 kg (+ 1.1 kg), it’s TOM though, so most likely a lot of water weight.

Ugh. TOM sucks! LOL
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Week 3: week of 14 October 2013

Had a rather "hungry" week, which showed in my intake. Also, I went out on a date with my husband this weekend and did some guesstimates and quick adds. Therefor it doesn't make sense to give the average macro break down of this week, because it isn't correct anyway. I'm pretty sure though, that my average daily intake was at least 2600 kcal per day, versus the 2300 kcal per day I'm shooting for.

Weight per 19 Oct = 54.9 kg: -0.3 kg when compared with last week
    + 0.9 from start of bulk, average of + 0.3 per week.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    That sounds pretty good, actually!
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Week 4: week of 21 October 2013

Average intake of 2333 kcal per day, slightly over my daily goal of 2300 kcal.
    Weight per 27 Oct = 56.5 kg: + 1.6 kg when compared with last week
    + 2.5 from start of bulk, average of + 0.63 per week.

I think I'm holding a ton of extra food in my gut as well as extra water weight due to me starting my new lifting routine this week. Still, the number made me cringe a bit...
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, everything will level out - its not like you gained that much that quickly!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I feel you. I gained three pounds my first week and one my second...hoping it slows down a bit.