Finishing books that suck

Options
sillygoosie
sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
I'm 83% through A Feast for Crows and I hate it! It is the most boring book in the series so far. I used to think that Martin was just a long-winded and self important author but now I'm thinking he is a bit sadistic and intentionally torturing his readers with complicated plot lines and the disappearance of favored characters. This book really seems to have no point. I'm only reading it out of obligation to the series which is completely ridiculous. I still have hope for the rest of the books but at this point I'm ready to say screw it and just watch it all on HBO.

Does anyone else feel a strange obligation to finish books or series, even though you grow to hate them? Are the next books better or should I write the whole thing off?

Replies

• rachael116
    Options
    Feast of Crows was my least favorite in the series; I also found it hard to get through. I've read all of the other books in the series so far (that are out), so to me it was worth finishing. I personally thought the series got better after that book.

I don't usually stop reading a book in the middle, but I definitely have before. There are some books that I've put down mid-way through and won't read another book by that author, because I didn't enjoy the writting style or POV.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do try to,,, then I just give up if they are really bad.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I used to finish any book I started, no matter how much I disliked it. No longer. Now I try to skim through the remainder, if it is bearable, but will stop completely if it is really that bad.
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    I used to finish any book I started, no matter how much I disliked it. No longer. Now I try to skim through the remainder, if it is bearable, but will stop completely if it is really that bad.

I've done a lot of skimming on Feast For Crows. I'm finally getting to the end where things are actually happening and I can stay interested.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Blasphemy! :laugh:
  • robeff
    robeff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My feeling is that there are too many fantastic books out there to waste time with bad ones. I've definitely given up on my fair share (which includes all of Faulkner :D)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If I get to a certain point and the book is bad, I also skim ahead to see if it it gets any better. If I sense that things are still pretty bad, I stop reading the book and move to the next book.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I haven't made it to A Feast of Crows yet but I know many people who didn't like it as much as the others. With that said, I can't read any of those books without taking a break and reading something else every now and then. There's just too much going on.

I hate quitting books or even series but sometimes it cannot be helped. There are so many wonderful books to read and it's a shame to waste your time with one you don't enjoy.
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    I finally finished FFC last night. zzzzzzzz I guess there was finally some excitement at the end. I'm definitely taking some time for fun reads now. It's October and time for some Stephen King. I just started Rage and it's a quick, really good read. Yay for books!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I think that Feast is one of the books with the Arya Stark thread, which is my favorite thread of the series.
  • kkows
    kkows Posts: 19
    Options
    I've only quit one book (a Terry Goodkin I think) in recent memory, although I've yet to delete it from my kindle. I keep telling myself that it really can't be that bad and I'll return to it again. I don't like giving up on books. I almost gave up on Priest's Boneshaker because it was sooo slow in the beginning only to find out that I loved it.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    One poster said Blasphemy and I'd usually concur..Its almost up there with throwing a book away. Unfortunatly, I just do not have the time to read like I used to..so I cannot waste it on something that isnt doing it for me. As much as I hate it, I have to move on to the greener pasture.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy the first Mayfair witches book, but had the urge to finish them.. Still wasn't satisfied.
  • gngracie
    gngracie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually set a limit, i.e. if it doesn't improve by page 100, I'm done! I can only take so much torture and there are just too many good books to be read and not enough free time in which to read them! :wink:
  • Bubblecut
    Bubblecut Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If a book doesn't draw me in by a few chapters, I move on. Good authors catch your attention--their job is make you want to turn the page for more. There are many books that I just couldn't finish-- my goodreads page has a shelf I created and labeled "started, never finished" just for those instances. This helps me to keep track of the "badreads" so that I don't accidentally forget how bad they were and remember not to pick them up again.
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy the first Mayfair witches book, but had the urge to finish them.. Still wasn't satisfied.

I actually read the last Mayfair witches book first (a friend lent it to me), then the second (I saw it in an airport bookshop) and bought the first one a little while ago but haven't read it yet. I really enjoyed the other two, maybe the added mystery of not knowing any of the back story made them more enjoyable? haha
  • HoneyFrogger
    HoneyFrogger Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks :( it was just so plain and boring I hate not finishing a book but it took MONTHS would rather eat Sandpaper then Ever Read again!!!
  • timetravelforfitness
    Options
    Audiobooks, if I feel like it's something I really want to get through, otherwise I put it down.
  • SpiritBunny
    SpiritBunny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I easily put books down if they don't grab me by the second or third chapter. Why waste time dredging through a book you hate, when you can start a new one you might love?!
  • foxxyroxy12
    foxxyroxy12 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I could not finish Cloud Atlas. It was just boring for some reason. I also ditched The Uglies. That was pretty pointless as well.